Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Palm Inspired Table

 

The round skirted table in the great room hadn’t been changed out since the spring and I had been wanting to change things up a bit.  I decided to keep most of the accessories; I just used them in a different way.

 

4

This is the way the table looked before. You can see more of it in this post. The sun streams into these two-story windows, so there is always a lot of glare. The 36-inch diameter table is topped with a fringed burlap tablecloth and a round of protective glass, When I removed the glass to clean it, I noticed that the sun had slightly faded the top of the cloth. That doesn’t bother me, no one can tell at all when looking at it. Can it be our little secret?

 

 

 

 

 

table

The table looks like this now. I removed the 7 ft. tall silk palm from in front of the window and then placed this real palm on top of the table. I think it gave the table much more presence, especially with all the light in this room!

 

palm

 

 

 

 

1 

I recently bought the palm at Home Depot for $9.98. You know the kind- it was planted in one of those big ugly black plastic pots.  I needed a pot with a lot more character, but didn’t want to spend the money on an expensive glazed ceramic one.  Three days after I bought the plant, I found this aged terra cotta pot at the curb down the street from me on garbage pickup day. It still had the original price tag on the bottom- $39.    Now, I know I need to lose the plastic saucer and replace it with a clay one, but that’ll have to happen on my next trip to HD.  Meanwhile, it’s protecting the glass from water drops. I really like the character that the leached salts and moss from the soil have given the clay pot. You would pay big bucks for  an “aged” piece like this in our local floral shop! 

 

 

 

 

table2

The large dictionary stayed in the same place- I just took away the tall candlestick, replaced it with the small oval box, and did a little rearranging.  Using the old juggling pins in back of the book gave the table some additional staggered height.  Looking at this photo, I realized that I forgot to place some moss on top of the soil- it’ll give the pot a clean and more finished look.

 

 

.pins

I only paid $12 for the pair of pins at a yard sale last summer.

 

 

 

cup and finial

A moss and egg filled silver cup was placed in between the plant and some decorating books.

 

 

finial

This wooden finial is a nice accent piece that has been in many different locations in this room.

 

 

cloche,turtle shell

The turtle shell that I found when we were on a buying trip at the High Point Furniture Market in April was placed under a large cloche to give it a little more prominence.  I received quite a few compliments on it when I first showed it to you in the spring-  I think it inspired a couple of bloggers to go out and find one of their own!

 

 

 

 

 

 

table1

Did you remember that Paula Deen signed a copy of her decorating book when she was promoting her furniture line at the Universal Furniture showroom in April?  Barbra Streisand’s decorating book was given to me by blogging friend, SusieQ from Rabbit Run Cottage.  I’ve been able to keep my variegated leaf plant alive since the spring; it makes a nice topper for the books.

 

 

mirror

I thought the reflection of the table in the mirror was fun. I’ve yet to paint my pair of thrifted gold mirrors. They were a $34 find last summer and they flank the baker’s rack on one of the long walls in the room.  The more I think of it, I may NOT paint them. It’s okay to have a touch of gold in a room.

 

 

bakers rack

 

 

hi-lited  table

                                              Well, there you have it. I think the table looks just the way I wanted it to turn out.

 

 

great room table

                                                                                             ********************

 

I’ll be linking up with the following hostesses. Please take some time to visit them on their appropriate party days and leave some comment love.

                  SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb1                      sharethelovebutton                                                                            

            Monday                                                     Tuesday                                                            Tuesday                                                         Wednesday                                                                                

 

             th_wowuswedparty              sherry                   thrifty things friday        

              Wednesday                                                    Thursday                                                               Friday    

 

    vintage inspiration button                               french country cottage                        charm of home                     

      Friday                                                                                   Friday                                                           Friday

35 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty! Funny how just moving a few things around and you can get a whole new look. I won't tell about the burlap - I have many of those situations around my place. :D
Hope you have enjoyed your 4th.

La said...

The juggling pins are great and I love palms.

Miss Char said...

I'm still in love with the turtle shell and its amazing what a different look you can achieve by just moving around what you already had on the table. Oh....and I LOVE for free flower pot!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful palms! Your table is so sooo green, fresh and natural! Love everything about it!
Happy 4th!
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

The new palm adds wonderful drama. You have some beautiful and interesting things displayed with it. I love those old wooden pins, rand I really liked your old display under glass too, with the Eiffel Tower! I tend to pare things down a bit too in summer.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I had to laugh Sue when you mentioned forgetting to add some moss on top of the plant dirt to give it a finished look. I just did that the other day to a plant that's been sitting in the family room for years. I have been meaning to give that plant "a finished look" forever. Love your palm on the table and the pins are divine! Have a wonderful week. xoxo

janet said...

Hello Sue,
What a lovely vignette !

Love everything about it.

Lusting after the mirror ;->

janet xox

Lori E said...

Way to mix it up Ethel. Remember though that if you put a terra cotta plant saucer under the plant you will get stains on your table because it will have the same salts coming through it. Maybe put a cork trivet under the plant saucer when you get rid of the plastic one.

At The Picket Fence said...

That looks so dramatic Sue! Very grand and just gorgeous. I love that you put the palm on the table and cannot believe you found that terra cotta pot on the curb...crazy! I love it all!
Vanessa

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

I love the pot and the yard/bowling pins. It is all lovely.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love it. I absolutely love the table vignette. Everything is perfect and the new palm is totally the perfect touch. Of course you know I love all the accessories and the cloche is just fabulous. Don't forget I'm having a Cloche party on the 19th. I know you will do something or just repost this. It is totally fabulous. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

tammylovesdishes said...

Very pretty vignette. The palm is gorgeous and the items you have surrounded it with are as wel. I love that you used a found pot. Great stuff!

Honey at 2805 said...

That palm and the "new" pot really creates a lot of drama! The vignette is beautiful, as well as the pictures.

Miss Kitty said...

wow! I just love all the interesting details in your tabletop vignette! Your finds of the roadside pot and juggling pins are great.

Poppy said...

Loved the gorgeous vignettes you have created on your table and baker's rack... the burlap tablecloth with the fringe at the bottom is so pretty and I love how you displayed the turtle shell under the cloche.. and adding the palm and the finials and paired pins create lovely textures to your tablescape.Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing and for your sweet comment on my lavender clay pots. Enjoyed reading it. Have a lovely evening!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Love the earthy vignette you created.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Such awesome photos Sue. I love that palm tree plant. I wish I had a green thumb. I just had to toss my fern out, like who can kill a fern?? ME!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, this looks so pretty. I've always loved the burlap cloth with the deep fringe. I must have missed the post about the turtle shell. Are you saying that was a real turtle shell? Aren't you clever to use it that way? What a unique and pretty look. I love the eggs in the little silver goblet. Moving the large plant gave this table breathing room, and everything on it seems to show up so much better. laurie

Babs said...

Sue, Oh WOW! I'm really loving your table and vignette and I'm bookmarking it to look at it again. So many great ideas. Love the turtle shell, of course and the silver cup with eggs.
Hope your 4th was a good one,
Babs

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

All of this is gorgeous! I love the bowling pins :)

Lina
Fancy Frugal Life

Jemsmom said...

Those juggling pins are so cool and I love the palm on the table! You are right! It does give such a presence! Hope you had a great Fourth!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

What a great collage of all of your beautiful things! Those mirrors are so pretty. I'm liking the gold too!

Thanks so much for always supporting my blog. You're the best!

Emily

The Tame Lion said...

Fantastic!
Absolutely wonderful!
Keep it coming!!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Your displays look so nice and you have so many pretty things! Enjoyed this post.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Linda Anne Young said...

Took me a while to figure out how to leave comments. I'm going through a horrendous move and your blog and music offered me a bit of comfort, and inspiration today. Love how you arranged the table, palm, books, etc! I can't wait to get into my new home and try to do something pretty like this! thank you! blessings! Linda

Linda Anne Young said...

Sue, Comment box popped up just fine, don't know what was wrong before. I just love how you put things together! I listened to your playlist run through twice today while I was packing! I love looking at your blog when I took much needed breaks! I have that same mirror, it came from a beauty salon! I do clean-outs, and acquire cool stuff sometimes. It's neat to have someone like you to show me how effectively I could display my treasures! Thank you! Blessings!, Linda

Chubby N Chieque said...

Very vintagy in looks.

So calm and I just drool with those pins.

Enjoy your day.
/chie

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sue, this looks beautiful! I love the pot you got on garbage pick up day! What great garbage pick up days you have!! I love the tortoise shell too and have been looking for one!

The table is fabulous!

Lou Cinda

Rettabug said...

I just LOVE how you are able to move things about in your lovely home & still, everything works so well together. You have such a neat style of decorating, Sue!

In honor of Fathers Day, I got 2 sheets of my father's music (I have his whole collection) & I rolled them into tubes & tied them with black ribbon, just like yours. They are sitting on the coffee table on a silver tray. It makes me feel closer to him somehow, every time I walk past.
Thank you so much for that idea!

fondly,
Rett

Rettabug said...

Oh shoot....I always forget I have more to say!

I once saw Martha Stewart show how to age a new clay pot quickly. She lathered it with YOGURT & set it out in the warm sun. She has lots of other hints HERE:

http://www.marthastewart.com/271159/making-history-aging-pots

Emily said...

I think your new vignette on your tabletop is lovely. It also has a more balanced look with the palm on the table. The cloth is gorgeous, if its faded you can't see it. I also love the reflection in the mirror. I think it looks fabulous.......

~Emily
The French Hutch

Sherry said...

Sue,
I love your burlap cloth and your accessories are very nice. I do like that turtle shell, that is neat. Thanks for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Diann said...

Hi Sue! Your change up on this table is wonderful. the whole vingette looks great. Thank you for joining TTF and I hope you have a terrific day!

very merry vintage style said...

Wow--I love it! That palm is so pretty and the pot is an amazing find. Love that picture in the mirror! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday--hope you'll be back this week!
Mary

Debra @ Common Ground said...

This is wonderful, love the Table top vignette with that gorgeous palm! Thanks for joining in with VIF, xo Debra