Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

If You Plant These Bushes, They Will Come…

 

butterfly 1

The butterflies are here! I’ve been anxiously waiting for the butterfly bushes to bloom so I could see if they really attract butterflies. Well, the blooms are out and I saw my first butterfly yesterday while I was working out in this flower bed. While this particular fellow is not the most handsome fluttering insect I’ve ever seen, I think he was the first one to grace my new bushes. That made him special in my book.

 

butterly 3

His blue and yellow markings were a nice contrast to his predominantly black wings.

 

butterfly 2

I followed him around as he flitted from one bush to the other. At first he didn’t seem to mind me, but then I think I ended up frightening him off. You can see the blur of his fluttering wings as he started to take flight away from me.

 

butterfly 4

He’s missing a tip to one of his wings- I wonder if he had a mishap of some kind!

 

butterfly bush collage 2

It’s been hot here in southwest Ohio but I think we’re going to get a bit of a respite for the rest of the week. Instead of enduring 90° weather, we’re supposed to drop into the 80’s and have less humidity. Thank goodness! My walking partner and I always get going in the morning by 8:00.  We’re usually done by 9:30, unless we opt for a longer route or stop to see what treasures we find curbside. Believe me, a nice cool shower is extremely welcome- not to mention, necessary- after those excursions!

                                                                                                                                                               Buckeye Blogger badge

A group of Buckeye Bloggers will be meeting in Tipp City on Saturday for lunch and a visit to some of my favorite antique/vintage stores. And even though the forecast calls for some scattered thunderstorms, I know we’ll have a wonderful time together, come rain or shine! 

 

 

17 comments:

farmlady said...

Oh the Butterfly Bush. It does bring the butterflies... and the bees. I love when it blooms. The flowers fill the garden with a wonderful fragrance and them.... the butterflies come. What a wonderful combination.
Lovely photos....

Kathy said...

I have one in the front yard right next to the porch...Love watching the different butterflies scoot in and out.
Nice shots!
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

The butterfly bush is so pretty. My mom has a huge one. Love the shots you got and have fun Saturday.

Pat said...

We have one of these bushes in the front yard berm. However, it is hidden from the house so I don't know if we have many butterflies. Guess i could go outside and look.;-)

We have been granted a heat reprieve for a couple of days. Enjoying it until the heat returns...afterall..this is Missouri and it is July!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I have a huge Butterfly Bush the same color as yours and last year I had tons of butterflies. It is in full bloom right now and I am just starting to see them come back. Have fun on Saturday!~Hugs, Patti

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Congrats on your first butterfly Sue-enjoy! Sounds like you're doing a lot better at keeping up with the walking than I am... I need more discipline:@)

Made In The South said...

Good Morning Sue,
What beautiful pictures. Your bush looks great, mine is not fairing so well in our extreme heat.
Hope that you post a few pictures of your adventures with the other bloggers. Sounds like a fun day.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I love watching butterflies...

Balisha said...

I wish I knew what kind of butterfly you have. I have seen the same kind here. I think that they are beautiful. I had one follow me from spot to spot while I was working in the woods. Everytime I would pick up my pail and clippers...he would follow me to the next spot. I wanted to plant these bushes all along the woods front...I may still do that. Have a nice reprieve from the heat...it will be back.
Balisha

Barbara F. said...

Great photos, Sue! I was thinking about putting one in. Glad to know they really attract them. xo,

A Hint of Home said...

Great pics! I have several Lantana bushes and the butterflies love them. Fun to watch all the activity they bring!
Have fun at your lucheon!

Pam @ Frippery said...

The butterfly bush is lovely, just like you. Had a wonderful time in Tipp today with some sweet ladies.
Hugs, Pam

Cherish Home Everyday said...

Are those swallowtails? We don't see a lot of those in California so thanks for posting - I felt like I was there! I followed a bee once to try to get a picture and it took me about ten photos to get the one I finally posted so I appreciate your photos! (See "May Flowers"posting to see my bee pic!!) Thanks for visiting my blog too!

Rettabug said...

I am REALLY impressed that you could capture any part of this magnificent creature, Sue! How fun to be able to see him/her & their beautiful wings so close. Great photos!

Sorry I couldn't be with the OH gang. Maybe next time.
Hugs,
Rett

Susie Q said...

Thank you again for planning the wonderful get together!! I had so much fun, heat or no heat!SO loking forward to next visit...now go sit and watch those sweet butterflies! It is too hot to do anything else!!
Love,
Sue

classic • casual • home said...

Ohio has thee nicest people. Love your creativity and photography. I am away so can't participate in Marty's great idea. Love what you did.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I think he is beautiful Sue!1 I love butterfly bushes and have several volunteers that just appeared. Sometimes they are covered in 50 or so butterflies. :)