Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hunting and Gathering…

 

I’ve decided that instead of saying that I’m going “thrifting,”  I’m now going to be calling it, ” hunting and gathering.”  I have more than a few friends who just don’t understand why I like to frequent yard and rummage sales. They think that “thrifting” sounds like I am out scrounging!  LOL   So hunting and gathering it is…   Do ya think it gives what we do a little more class?  Or does it sound as if I’m a pioneer woman who needs to go out looking for food for my family?   *grin*

I have failed to post any of my gathered finds from the past few weeks. I really haven’t been out much- it’s been so hot, plus I’ve had other projects going on. But while reorganizing some shelves in the kitchen and in the entertainment center today, I figured it would be a good time show off some of the things that I have “hunted and gathered” recently. The husband and I traveled to Tipton, Indiana earlier in the month to shop at the Horton’s French Flea Market, but I really only bought a few things. Mostly, I walked around in awe of all the gorgeous displays at this wonderful sale. I didn’t purchase too many things at the outing we Buckeye Bloggers had in Tipp City a few weeks ago, either. I think on that day, I was too busy chatting to do much serious shopping! 

 

shelf

This reclaimed wood shelf from 2-Day Designs was in one of the guest rooms up until last week. I brought it downstairs , put it in the kitchen,  and filled it with white tea pots, creamers, and my new measuring cups.

 

 

shelf 2

 

 

 

 

.

liquid measure

This liquid measuring cup caught my eye when I saw it in one of the booths at the flea market.  It’s really not practical- you can’t really measure anything because there aren’t any markings on the inside of the cup.I have Pyrex measuring cups for that-  this one is just for display. When I was little, we used to say, “It’s for pretty…”

.

nested measuring cups

These nested measuring cups coordinate with the liquid measure real well even though they were bought at another booth.  I like that they have little pouring spouts.

 

 

 

.

measuring cups 2

 

 

 

 

.

fruit

These porcelain fruits came from my favorite shop in Waynesville, The Peddler Shop. They fit perfectly in this bowl. I set it out on the table to photograph them, since the shelf was too dark to see them very well.

 

 

measuring cups

 

 

 

 

.

silver  cloche holder

I found this piece of silver in Jean’s booth at Past Perfect Vintage Home and Garden,  my favorite shop in Tipp City. When I bought it, I really hoped that it would be the right size as a base for one of my cloches…..

 

 

cloche and base

Sure enough, my cloche fit perfectly inside it!

 

 

cloche, bottles, birds, hand

I didn’t want to leave the cloche empty, so I placed a cherub that I found at a yard sale around the corner from me last week. Bought it for 50¢, then painted it to  look like stone. It was originally pink. Eewww…..

 

 

camera bag

The owner of Past Perfect added this old leather camera bag as a freebie to my purchases. He was planning on tossing it out because of a broken strap. I just doubled it onto itself, and one would never know that it was broken!

.

 

old camera

I added to my small camera collection with this Kodak Duraflex.  It came from Jean’s booth, as well.

 

small spools

These miniature spools were another find in Jean’s booth. She has some of the most interesting objects!  They’re only about 4 inches long and I paid $1.29 for each one.

 

 

 

spool cloche

I have this really bizarre bell cloche that distorts anything inside of it, but it was the perfect size to cover the spools.

 

 

 

coffee bean  bag

I’m thinking that this coffee bean burlap sack would be perfect to cover an old footstool. I found this one for a very reasonable price in Donna’s booth at Horton’s.

Well, guess the hunting and gathering will have to begin once again this week. I need my fix again!  

                                                       **************

Won’t you please visit the following hostesses on their appropriate link party days?

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb1                    nifty thrifty tuesdays                sharethelovebutton        wow us wed.

 

 

                 charm of home                       Inspiration Friday Graphic                  vintage inspiration button    

 

Type A              open house thursday

44 comments:

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

I like your new term hunting and gathering. I think I will copy that, makes me feel like the MOM that I am LOL!~ Great stuff Sue. Love the coffee bag too, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Lori said...

The angel is perfect on the silver pedastal! Cloche fitting just right, aren't you the lucky one. Love that wood piece too.

Jo said...

Great finds! We went out yesterday hunting on our way to the base but didn't find anything I've come own with this really nasty cold so I have been staying pretty close to home

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I like your new name for "treasure hunting". :D Also like your measuring utensil collection, and the base you used for the cloche. Always enjoy your posts - You have some great ideas. Thank you for painting the pink cherub ! :-D

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Hey Sue, love all of the treasures that you have "hunted and gathered", lol. Great finds!

My friends consider me a "dumpster diver", LOL, and I don't even care. I love "junkin", which is what I call it. Actually, a few of them find themselves "junkin" for me and calling to see if I want them to bring the junk home for me.

Try to stay cool while out hunting and gathering.

Kim-A Creative Spirit said...

I love all your finds.... and they look great together too....

La said...

Hi Sue!

I'm ready for some cooler weather. It looks like you have done some great hunting and gathering despite the heat.

Terra said...

Your newly named hunting and gathering went very well, and I admire all the white finds like the measuring cups and the fruit.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue...Hunting and gathering...lol I just call it Goodwill Hunting and let them think what they wish! Picturing Matt Damon usually throws them off for a while! Love what you found...especially the bell cloche. It looks like the real thing...a French garden cloche. I love your white collection and your new measuring cups! Happy week1...hugs...Debbie

Babs said...

Sue,I love your new term, "hunting and gathering". Your newly "gathered" treasures are wonderful. I truly love the silver pedestal.
I know what you mean about thrifitng. I get a lot of teasing from the family for going to GW. Not so much the antique malls though.
Enjoy your H&G.
Babs

Debby said...

I think that terms fits what you (we) do perfectly. I decided I need a small collection of those old cameras.
Go away heat so we can have more fun.
Stay cool.

Miss Char said...

I tried to go hunting today Sue but it was so darn hot I finally gave up. Looks like you've had some wonderful luck and treasures.

Pam said...

I had forgotten about your silver cloche stand. That really does look like it was made for that purpose. And I think hunting and gathering sounds perfect.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hunting and gathering...like "early man". Sounds like a plan anyway! It is way tooooo hot! Ugh! Most garage sales are over with around here so we haven't done much of anything. I have been working on my furniture though. Got the desk done and today I got a few more things ready to paint. You have lots of interesting displays! You do have a knack for it girl!~Hugs, Patti

Theresa said...

Sue,

I just noticed that your kitchen wallpaper and my blog background look almost identical to each other. *grin*

I sure could have used your measuring cups with the spouts the other day. A baking mishap.lol

I really like all your latest G&H finds. But, I love your bowl with the lid on the middle shelf.

Hugs,
Theresa

Jemsmom said...

Hunting and gathering... that is good!!! You find the best stuff! I love those measuring cups! They would have been good for me while I lived in Germany since everything was the metric system! Hope you had a great weekend!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

Wow can't believe that silver stand perfectly fit your cloche! I think we all buy stuff like that hoping it'll match our existing finds...you got lucky though! Usually you just end up with another piece you have to find a match for :).

Pat said...

Hunting and gathering. Yep...I like that idea. You gathered some nifty things Sue!

Jilly said...

Well, your collection is wonderful and I like it all. Especially, my favorite is those porcelain fruits, it is really unique stuff.
haulage scotland

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Hunting and gathering or thrifting all works for me. I love your finds and your measuring cup just for looks.

At The Picket Fence said...

Sue, you always score some great treasures and I think "hunting and gathering" is a great term! :-)
Vanessa

Betsy said...

Hunting and gathering...I like that! You sure gathered some wonderful treasures. I love the measuring cups and the cloche looks perfect in the silver dish. Thanks for sharing.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Of course I love the term hunting and gathering, it's under the header of my blog. I really like the measuring cups, and I have a silver piece exactly like that. The cloche is a nice addition.

xinex said...

Beautiful displays, Sue! Love your white pottery collection....Christine

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

"Hunting and Gathering" is a good term, Sue, as it sounds serious, and your found some seriously great objects! I love the white fruits and the angel is so darling sitting under the cloche on the sliver tray!

At The Picket Fence said...

I think that term us perfect! I love the white measuring cups and bowls and the combo of the silver stand and cloche! You had a great "hunt!" ;)

Heather

Kathy said...

Ha ha - hunting and gathering it is!!! We know what it really is...treasure hunting, and maybe a little scrounging! Love your pics and your "formerly pink" angel looks sweet in your cloche!

Hugs, Kathy

Olive Cooper said...

Hunting and gathering it is then. Because really you must hunt a lot to find the goodie. The shelf with all the white measuring cups is too cute. I might water my house plants with that tall one.

Shelia said...

Love your new term! That is what we do too, isn't it
Now your cabinet looks wonderful and I love all you've poked all over it! You hunt and gather very well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Love that white fruit Sue!!

The cutest shop around here is called "Gather". She's out in the middle of nowhere in an old country store/post office but she does a good business. You would not believe the mercedes and Lexus I see at the GW and SA hunting and gathering. I always think they must be doing what I do.....looking for old vintage pieces but NOT...

A Hint of Home said...

It's a catchy term! It's great you can get out and do something you enjoy and get great finds, to boot!

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

hi sue! i love all your finds... i hope all is well and your blog looks great : )

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I love the idea of "hunting & gathering" it's more "lady-like" ~ LOL!!!

Looks like you did a fantastic job too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my blog give-away! Good Luck! Thanks for adding me to your sidebar too!

Mary

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue! The measuring cups are wonderful! You found some really great things while out "gathering". Thanks for joining my party and take care.
Hugs,
Sherry

Sherry said...

Sue,
You have some great finds. I love the cloche and the burlap coffee sack. Great job "gathering!" Thanks for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

lvroftiques said...

I prefer "treasure seeking" *winks* Love all of your great finds! Vanna

Debra @ Common Ground said...

What a wonderful collection of kitchen whites, love those measuring cups! Thanks for linking up and sharing the inspiration at VIF! xo Debra

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Great display, Sue, while I like most things, like your white pottery and others, I totally love your silver pedestal and great with the perfect cloche! Love your vignette with the angel inside it, too. Have a great weekend. FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you honey for visiting my new kitchen. Yeah, it was hard to live with the 1 1/2 months of construccion because we even moved the sink from the a wall to a window!, so plummers were here at one time, besides changing the old checkered board floor to the black Italian tiles and window redo...OMG! Have a great weekend and I'm also your newest follower...how come I wasn't before, beyond me!! FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Rose Alley said...

Thanks for your visit to Red Rose Alley. I just love that angel inside your cloche...so pretty. What a clever idea. I used to collect angels, so they have a special place in my heart. Have a beautiful weekend.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Hi Sue, love the way all the white looks displayed on the shelf - especially the "just for looks" measuring cup. You have done a great job of hunting and gathering! Linda

bj said...

Wow, next time I want to HUNT AND GATHER, I'll call you, you can meet me, and take me by the hand to find treasures such as this. :)
I have looked hi and lo for white measuring cups with black lettering..just like yours. Can't find them anywhere...any ideas?

very merry vintage style said...

Great finds; I like to call it "shopping vintage!" Thanks for linking to Share the Love Wednesday. Hope you'll be back this week!
Mary