Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Horton’s French Flea Market~ I Came, I Saw, I Loved!

 

 

hortons 2

The Horton’s French Flea Market in Tipton, Indiana was just so much fun this weekend! Donna did an excellent job of organizing on this event and it was well worth the  2 ½ hour drive from Dayton. We  took some back roads through the farmland of Indiana, and it didn’t even add on any extra time to the estimated trip time that Google Maps had calculated on the interstate.
The first thing we did when we got to this cute little town was to search out Donna’s booth. Turns out, she had her daughter, April, manning it because she was so busy making sure that the flea market was running like a well-tuned engine.  

 

 

donnas booth

Donna’s booth was themed in a soft color palette.

 

 

candles

Donna and April created their own soy candles with such delicious scents as lemon verbena and fig. Oh my, how that tent smelled good; and now my house will be smelling good, as well!

 

 

 

donna and april

Here are Donna and her daughter posing for me. Thanks for taking the time, Donna-  I know you were super busy! Donna coordinated over 20 vendors for this event. The booth content ran the gamut from bakery items to vintage/up-cycled goods. I discovered Donna’s blog last year, shortly before last year’s event. Then I lost the link and wondered how I could ever find her again, since I couldn’t remember the name of the store or even where it was located. I found her by accident again last month when she was posting about the show for this summer. Talk about good karma- I just knew that I had to go to this show!  And, of course, the husband was quite accommodating and he really had a good time shopping with me, as well. 

The  next three pictures below are all part of Horton’s inside the store. An entire side wall was renovated to expose the old brick wall and the area is stocked with both vintage and commercially produced country/French décor.

 

chandy

I  liked this metal chandy- it was filled with moss and faux ferns, then topped with a gazing ball. Couldn’t you see this out of the patio with some candles burning on a summer evening?  How romantic….

 

 

 

 

.

ferns

The addition of the tree trunk slices gives this vignette such a woodsy feel.

 

 

 

faux greenhouse

Do you see the old brick wall that was exposed when this area was re-done?   This faux greenhouse/cottage was constructed of old doors, windows, and shutters.  How clever! But you’ll really be amazed when you go over to Donna’s blog to see what her husband constructed for her- just suffice it to say that you will love “Tinker!”  

The next five pictures are from the booth, Vintage Living. Rebecca is from Chicago and had some gorgeous treasures for sale. She has an online shop and blogs at A Re-purposed Life.

 

bottles

This set of five bottles would make even ordinary single blooms look spectacular.

 

 

Check out the silver, garden inspired décor, and handmade treasures.

 

 

 

basket

I sold a similar basket like this one at my sale in May. This one looks adorable filled with mini clay pots that are filled with lichen.

 

 

buttons, shoes 

Buttons, springs, and shoes.

 

watering can

Isn’t covering an old watering can with moss and lichen such a good idea?

 

 

 

book art

This booth was run by two sisters who created book-art. They used book pages to make wreaths, figures, and to decorate other items. This metal birdhouse was enhanced with moss, feathers, and simple book page flowers.

 

more book art

The book page topiary was a real favorite of mine. It just may be inspiring me to create one of my own. Do you see the little bird created from book pages? The sisters told me that it takes a lot of practice to create something like this.

 

music rosebud wreath

This wreath didn’t belong to the sisters, but it’s another example of paper art. These roses are rolled up music pages with pretty green leaves tucked between them.  It was being sold in the Horton’s area of the store.

 

 

pie shop

We resisted the temptation to buy any baked goods here in the pie shop. We did,however, partake of some samples of fudge passed around by the two precious mimes shown below.

 

 

mimes

These girls were a hoot. In true mime fashion, they didn’t speak a word. They walked around the grounds offering samples to shoppers. It cracked us up when they walked up to the baker mannequin at the pie shop and pantomimed to him. He was offered a cup of lemonade. When he (obviously) didn’t answer, the one young mime shrugged, threw up her hand in a gesture that meant to us “ Sorry, buddy, you’re really missing out on a nice, cool drink”, then she wandered off to refresh some real, live customers!

 

 

 

kitchen accoutrements

Kitchen linens and decorative accessories.

 

 

old pic

A vintage lithograph.

 

tool boxes

Colorful old tool boxes.

 

sweet annies

Vintage ceramic plant holders.

 

 

reloved

The burlap banner at this booth was so cute. The proprietress up-cycled many of her items for sale.  Stop over and visit Jackie at her blog, Shambora Studios.

 

 

 

.

mannequin

The mannequin was dressed both shabby and chic.

 

tonka truck

I should have saved our son’s Tonka dump truck!

 

 

nikki

I had the opportunity to meet another fellow blogger at the show, as well. Nicki blogs at The Vintage Farmhouse and lives in Zionsville, IN. I bought something from her that will show up in a vignette post real soon.

 

sign

It was such a fun to see all the vendors and merchandise at the Horton’s show. It turned out to be a glorious sunny day, even though it started out raining as we left Dayton and crossed into Indiana.  I’ll definitely be putting next year’s event on my summer calendar. And who knows- I might even get to see YOU there! 

 

I’ll be back soon to show you what I bought!

 

Linking to the following parties-

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb1       nifty thrifty tuesdays          sharethelovebutton         wow us wed.

 

 

THT Party Button-1             charm of home               french country cottage       thrifty things friday     Inspiration Friday Graphic

49 comments:

Barbara F. said...

What a fun day this must have been. I saw a vintage donkey planter on EBay just recently. Those mimes are a great idea, too, for a really different sales pitch. xo,

Miss Char said...

Sue, thanks so much for posting your wonderful pictures. I thought of you having fun yesterday, it looks like it was an outstanding trip. Hopefully I can attend next year.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your day and the tour - sounds and looks like a fun day.

Pat said...

I loved seeing this Sue. Would be fun to browse awhile here!

Jo said...

You are such a tease!!! I wanted to see what you bought!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds (and looks) like a great day Sue! Glad the weather cooperated. I think the Tonka truck is adorable as a planter:@)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Looks like a great place Sue! Nice pictures too! What did you buy??~Hugs, Patti

Debby said...

Looks like a great show. Glad you went and that you both had fun. Love the book art. The mimes are really cute. See ya soon.

No one new yet. Still a maybe.

Cozy Little House said...

Looks like such fun! I love those paper pretties. Especially the bird!
Brenda

Kathy said...

Sue...haven't been here in a while.
This post was sheer Sunday delight for me.
I adored the music roses wreath
and all the metal...
I loved each photo more then the last...
Hoping all is well with you,
xoxo~Kathy @
sweet Up-North Mornings...

Twice as Nice said...

Don't know how you could narrow down how many treasure to take home! Love the paper art how creative. I think I would of had to have a topiary or two. Love them. Can't wait to see what you got.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

It looks like a wonderful time! I would have loved shopping there too. Funny, I did a post on a French Flea in my area too....your flea was much better!

dogsmom said...

If I had known my van make be fixed I would have considered driving down from WI - looks like a fun event.
Of course gas money would have cut into thrifty shopping...
but still would have been a great time.

B.B. said...

Amazing show- it is lovely! I love the nature items with the birds and moss. I am such a fan of French decor. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post!

Lori E said...

Oh my gosh that stuff is fabulous. I would like to decorate an entire house from scratch using all this stuff. Wow.
In your vintage ceramic plant holder photo isn't that a Netti pot?

La said...

I'm going to make it there some day. I love the set of 5 bottles. Looking forward to seeing what you bought.

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

Oh my that all looks so amazing! I wish I could have gone. I can't wait to see what you bought.

:) Michelle

Laura said...

What a great day you had.
Every photo was an inspiration!

Enjoyed visiting,

Laura
White Spray Paint

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Hot House Market said...

Hi Sue~ it was great meeting you :) Hope to see you as a vendor next year! Your newest follower~ Carrie @ Hot House Market

Made In The South said...

Thanks for taking us along on your trip to Hortons. I LOVED the music paper wreath. Those are some talented sisters.
Looks like the show had lots of great things to see. Can't wait to see what you brought home.

classic • casual • home said...

It is a bit far from California...so you can't imagine how much I appreciate your photos! Lovely.

It's good to be a little high maintenance--you are worth it. Enjoying your music!

Hope you don't see this message twice...having some trouble posting it. Have a fun day.

Rebecca said...

Hi Sue
Your pictures of the event are amazing! Love some of the close up shots. Donna did a fabulous job on everything.
Sorry I missed you
Blessings
Rebecca

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, I love the topiary too and I want all three of the green tool boxes. There is just something about old tool boxes that calls to me. I know you had so much fun. We have nothing like that here. hugs♥O

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This looks like SO much fun! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Looks like you had a blast.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Now I think I need to hop in the car and head your way pulling a trailer! lol Can't wait t see what you bought, Sue! Thanks for entering the giveaway! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh what an incredible event! I would have had a hard time being restrained and not buying everything up! :-)
Vanessa

Honey at 2805 said...

The is a virtual dreamland! Can't wait to see what you bought.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Thanks for the eye candy.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This is a fun fieldtrip! I love that chandy! It is so beautiful! I also love the sink stand the kitchen linens are in. You must have had visual overload! So many creative ideas. Thanks for taking us along.
Yvonne

Pamela said...

How lovely! I love the paper flower wreath and the tall topiary that looks to be made from coffee filters.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Neat, neat, neat. So many good things I don't know where to begin! Just a wonderful sale.(-:

thestonerabbit said...

What a fun, fun place to visit!! Oh my, I was drooling like a crazy woman over those delightful items, booths and PIES!! How could you pass up a pie? :)

I am just in awe at how many talented folks we have in this great country...and it's just the BEST time when we can attend such an event as this and just be swept away by the creativity of the vendors and their amazing "eye" for display and collecting and designing!

Thanks for the great share.....I'd love to attend this sale...maybe one day!

dana

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, loved the tour of the show and like you, was enthralled with the paper art, especially that bird house. :)

Shambora Studios said...

Hello Sue!
Thank you so much for including photos of my booth! It was a wonderful event and everyone is looking forward to next year!
xo
Jackie

Jann Olson said...

Wow, I would've been a crazy woman at this market. So many things I love! I have a passion for gardening, and a fettish for old windows. The book art is on the top of my list. Absolutely adore the birdhouse and that bird. Definately looks like it would take some practice. Hopped over from Coastal Charm.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Looks fabulous! It is probably a good thing I couldn't make it. I would be broke! Looking forward to Saturday!

A Hint of Home said...

Wow, it looks like a wonderful, fun event!
I'm with you, the chandy is a trophy. Would love it hanging out back.

very merry vintage style said...

Thanks for taking us shopping with you! Looks like a great market--love all that vintage silver! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Betsy said...

I don't even know where to begin. It's all such gorgeous eye candy. I'd go crazy and would have needed an extra truck to haul everything home. So much fun!!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh.Em.Gee!! I would have felt like I had died and gone to heaven if I had been at this!! Such GREAT ideas!! Just Breathtaking!!

Can't wait to see what you got!!

Lou Cinda

Diann said...

Oh Sue, that was such a fun post! I kept going back to different pictures to look closer at all the amazing things! I bet you just had a blast and how fun to meet other bloggers! Thaank you so much for sharing at TTF! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Blue Creek Home said...

How much fun that looks. We don't have sales like that around here. :(

There was so many things in the photos that I would love to have! The Tonka truck planter was the cutest!
Thanks for coming to THT.
Rhonda

Cherish Home Everyday said...

WOW! Thank you so much for posting this1 I felt like I was there and would have been if I lived closer! So many beautiful, creative things and your photographs told the story of the day beautifully!! Thank you, Thank you!

Kristal said...

Since I am in Alabama, I'm not sure how or if I would ever be able to attend. But she did a wonderful job with pictures and storytelling, I almost feel like I was there. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks like lots of fun~ so many lovely treasures!! Your pictures are wonderful! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Sherry said...

Oh how wonderful! Fun to see this in the Midwest. Not much shabby chic where I live. Thanks for linking it up!
Sherry

very merry vintage style said...

I featured this post over at Share the Love Wednesday today! I had so much fun going through your post.
Mary

Pamela said...

Just wanted to stop by and invite you to Treasure Hunt Thursday formerly over at Blue Creek Home. Rhonda has passed it on to me and I would be honored for you to join us!:) Party starts at 8 pm central tonight!:)