Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Spindle Love and Wedding Love

 

spindles2

I needed to add a little color to a  table vignette in the great room and knew I had just the right items do it.  I found these colorful spindles at the Springfield Flea Market Extravaganza earlier in the month for a mere 75¢ apiece. woo hoo- that was a bargain, don’t you think?  They simply got placed into my silver ice/champagne bucket and added to the existing side table vignette.

 

spools2

A cut glass wine decanter, a small bowl of shells, and a potted plant fit nicely on the footed silver tray. I’ve found all of my silver/silverplate trays at estate sales and have never had to pay very much for them.  The ice/champagne bucket was an estate sale find, as well. I’m glad I like the tarnished look- it takes forever to polish these items into a gleaming state!

 

spindles

I like the play of colors against each other. I’m thinking I’ll buy a few more colors when I go back to the fall extravaganza sale; the vendor is always there.  A green one would be  nice, but in keeping with the odd number rule, I’ll have to find another color, as well.   I’m also hoping that the he’ll have more ceramic glove molds at the show in September. I found one in his booth this last show, but let my SIL buy it, since she’d been looking for one ever since she saw the one I bought at the French Hen Farm sale last year.

 

spools 1

 

 

 

decanter

I have a ginormous collection of glass decanters. Occasionally, I’ll fill them with some “spirits” when we’re entertaining, but for the most part, they’re scattered throughout the house in various displays.

 

This wooden box hold three decorative “dumbells”- basically just double orbs.

 

 

 

 

table

This shot of the table was taken just as the sun was setting. The light in the room is at its best at this time- for most of the day, the sunshine streams in through the double height windows and causes a lot of glare. We opted for no window treatments on these windows since they face the woods and we have a lot of privacy; but since we’re contemplating putting a large screen television in here, we’ll need shades of some kind.  I think draperies are out of the question- the ceiling is 18 feet high.  That would be a lot of fabric!

                                                                                    ********

I don’t think I mentioned that we had planned on being in Indiana over the weekend. We celebrated our niece’s wedding at the University of Notre Dame, the bride and groom’s alma mater. The wedding ceremony took place in the Basilica, the reception was held at a hotel on campus, and the entire event was first-class all the way! 

basilica at Notre Dame

This is the interior of the basilica.

 

golden dome

The golden dome on top of the main building on campus can be seen from many vantage points.  The bride and groom wanted a photo of all of their guests, so after the ceremony, all 200+ family and friends had a group picture taken on the steps of this building. What a fun way to see everyone!

 

rotunda

This is the interior shot of the rotunda under the dome.

 

 

 

kasey and scully

                                                                     photo by Shannon Farrell Santella

 

Congratulations to Kasey and Mike Scully!!

 

 

                                                                             **************

Linking to:

th_wowuswedparty            sharethelovebutton           club gw button1 

  sherry         inspiration friday button         french country cottage     

 

time travel thursday        THT Party Button-1       Stuff and Nonsense

31 comments:

Pam said...

The photos of the campus are so pretty. Nothing like that around here. Congratulations to the happy couple!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Beautiful photos of the Basilica and the dome! Did you take those with "our" camera?

Pat said...

Beautiful all the way around Sue!

Jo said...

Very nice display I will have to find out where you got your finds at the extravaganza Did you get my msg that I found someone so I will be able to go to Tipp?

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Beautiful buildings Sue, the cake looks great too:@)

Carol said...

Beautiful place to be married. Congratulations to the beautiful couple!
I like the silver tarnished as well :)

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

I love the spindles Sue. I actually saw some at Nashville and said I will come back down this isle and get them. Well, you know how that goes. Now that I have seen yours, I could kick myself for not getting them right then.

outjunking said...

Love all the textures. Gorgeous pics.
Lisa

Kathy said...

Sue - great pics! I always love your vignettes!!! And what a beautiful setting for a wedding - thanks for sharing!

We missed you this weekend, but hope to see you soon.

Hugs, Kathy

Lori E said...

You have the special touch when it comes to decorating for sure.
what a beautiful place to have a wedding. I'll be there were many photo ops.

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

The spindles were a great find! I really love the colors. Your niece is beautiful and the wedding looks grand! Thanls for joining in my CLub G.W. with Charm Bracelet Diva Party! Can't wait to see what you have for us next Tuesday!

xoxo
Kathleen

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty vignette! Thanks for sharing the photos taken at the wedding. Congratulations to the happy couple!

At The Picket Fence said...

I always love seeing your vignettes Sue! I just started collecting decanters also and love what they add to my tabletops. And what a beautiful wedding site and couple! :-)
Vanessa

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

What a lovely couple. We actually toured that campus with my daughter...it was on her short list of schools. It truly is a beautiful school.

I love the colored spools...I don't know that I've seen them in colors, but maybe I wasn't looking!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, Thank you for joining my party this week! I love the different colored spools and how you are displaying them in the silver ice bucket. Congrats to the lovely couple.
xo,
Sherry

Olive Cooper said...

Love the spindles mixed with silver. That was a gorgeous wedding too.

Jemsmom said...

You put together the best vignettes!!! I love those spindles, but I am on the hunt for a silver ice/champagne bucket. I need one of those babies! We are home and had the best time!!! I saw so many houses going back to the land and thought of you!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your vignettes are great, and I love the wedding shots.

Julie. . . Gathered Comforts said...

Hey Girl,
Thanks for stopping by the blog. I am sooo glad you are coming to the Country Living Fair in Columbus, it is always good to see ya. You are always soo sweet and kind. Thanks again!!!
Julie--Gathered Comforts

Made In The South said...

The comment above answered my question...Wondering if you were going to the Country Living Fair. My siser and I are going to try and make it. Looks like lots of fun.

I love your decanter. Decanters can fit in almost anywhere. I had one in my bath with mouthwash for awhile.

Oh my..the pictures of the church and wedding are beautiful. Congrads to the new couple.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend,
Melissa

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

The photos of the wedding are beauitful. I love the crystal and silver and the new spools. I think I have the same silver tray!

Blue Creek Home said...

I have a tray just like yours and a champagne bucket just like yours! Now, I just need some of those cute colorful spindles just like yours!!!
Beautiful place for a wedding!
Thanks for linking to THT.
Rhonda

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

My husband and son are ND alumni. I've been to mass many, many times in the Basilica. Always so powerful. We've been to one wedding there and it was spectacular...I'm hoping my son somehow works it out so his wedding can be there but he has to get a ND girl first! Thanks for sharing the pic of the cake. Stunning.

Laurel said...

Such a pretty vignette...I love to decorate with little collections too :)
And wow...what a beautiful place for a wedding. Have a great weekend, Laurel@chippingwithcharm

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Sue! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday and for your lovely comment as well! :-)
Vanessa

Claire said...

Love the colorful spindles- a pleaseant surprise in your vignette-I double checked and now my pic shows up as a follower-phew!!lol

Ivy and Elephants said...

The spindles are just splendid. I love the decanter.

Paula

Desiree said...

Great finds! I too love decanters. Even though I have more than enough, I some times come across one I can't pass up.

very merry vintage style said...

Your grouping looks beautiful! Love your champagne cooler. Thanks for linking this post to Share the Love Wednesday; hope you'll be back this week--
Mary

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Your display is lovely- I like the colors the spindles bring in and what a great price!! Congrats to the happy couple too! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Pam @ Frippery said...

Gorgeous photos. Both your vignettes and the Basilica. Congrats to the newlyweds!