Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Joke and a Peek at the Porch Sale

 

First, the joke……

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, “I can’t accept money from you; I'm doing community service this week.”

The florist was pleased and left the shop. When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replied, “I can’t accept money from you; I'm doing community service this week.”

The cop was happy and left the shop. The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.

Then a  congressman came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber again replied, “I can’t accept money from you;  I'm doing community service this week.”

The congressman was very happy and left the shop. The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen congressmen lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.

 

And now the peek…..

porch5

Last Saturday and Sunday, I held a porch sale in Waynesville, Ohio.  My friend Debbie, who owns The Peddler House on Main Street, graciously offered me the use of the porch during the town’s Main Street Antique Show.  I set up early Saturday morning, hoping that I would have enough merchandise to fill the space.  I hadn’t taken all my things down there- that would have necessitated the use of a rental  truck!  As it was, I had just enough space to spread out my merchandise. 

 

 

 

porch31

I had lots of glassware, some silver, baskets, and plenty of miscellaneous pretties and “junque!”

 

 

 

 

porch27

 

 

 

porch28

 

 

 

porch20

Two blogging friends, Pam from House of Hawthornes, and  Carrie from Junque Magnet-Adventures in Yard Sales, bought a couple of suitcases from this display.

 

 

 

porch16

 

Both the croquet set and the dart board came back home with me. Guess we’ll have to play out in the yard one day when it’s not so hot.  Isn’t it weird how the weather in a lot of places went from the 50’s right into the 90’s?  At least that is what happened here!   We did get a reprieve, though- yesterday and today were pretty mild out. Only in the 80’s with little humidity.

 

porch18 

 

 

 

 

porch10

Cindy, from Custom Comforts, bought this wire basket, as well as several other things.

 

 

porch13

The orange table went home with Carrie and the drawers will be used by Debbie in one of her store displays.

 

 

porch12

This circa 1940’s stepstool was an estate sale find for $2.00. I sold it for $20.00.  Now you know why I like to “thrift shop!”

 

 

 

 

porch19

I hated to part with this sweet little ladder. 

 

 

 

porch25

I even made a book page wreath to sell!  I learned my lesson- next time I make one, I’ll have a bowl of ice water nearby my worktable. Hot glue is really HOT!

 

                                                                                                              *************************************

Well, there you have a few photos of the sale. I didn’t want to overload you with pictures, so I’ll show more in another post.  It was so fun to see Carrie, Cindy, and Pam. It’s nice to know that I have Buckeye Blogging pals to support me.  I was approached by a local shop owner to do some “picking” for her. Not sure if I’ll do it, though;  I need more information as to how she’ll be compensating me for my time, gas, and “expertise.”  *grin*    I’m wondering if it might be more lucrative to just have these Occasional Sales.   We’ll see…..

 

 

I’m linking this to:

 

sherry              Inspiration Friday Graphic          thrifty things friday           french country cottage      vif187

35 comments:

Carol said...

LOL, good joke!

So many nice things :) I had a croquet set like that when I was a kid.

dogsmom said...

I wish my piles of "junque" would look so enticing. If I was closer the croquet game would come home with me. I finally have a great yard to play in. Now it is on my hunt-for list.

It sounds as if you had a successful day and a great time.

Definitely check into being a picker for someone else, IF the terms are agreeable. That is also on a list of mine - my dream job list.

Miss Char said...

Well Sue I can tell I would have spent a small fortune at your porch sale. All the things I love, but then I'd have to come home and have a sale myself to make room for your junque.

Ms. Bake-it said...

Sounds like you had a great day! I see a few things that would have come home with me and one of them is the croquet set!

~ Tracy

Barbara F. said...

I see several things there that I want!!!! It probably would be cheaper for me to drive out than ship it! :) I have a question: where can I find a display rack like the one shown with various dishes? xo,

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great looking sale. Did you sell the basket with the red handles in the first photo. Is that an egg basket? I love it.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Some great things! I would have enjoy shopping your sale.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I could use a hair cut... Sounds like you had a good sale Sue, it makes all of the set-up and hauling worthwhile:@)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love the joke - So true ! :-D
Looks like you had some good stuff to sell - hope you did well.
Enjoy your weekend.

JunqueMagnet said...

Your sale looked great and I really enjoyed visiting.The table is undergoing a small transformation even as I write this.I'll post photos when it's done.Picker?!Hello.Absolutely my dream job and ever so much fun.I would totally pursue that.Enjoy!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue...Looks like you had a successful day in Waynesville! I never had my garage sale....too sick, just could not get it together. Picker, huh? I would look into that and see if it would be worth your time and effort. Have a good one!~Hugs, Patti

Beth Rutter said...

I "need" those binoculars!!! Great stuff!!

At The Picket Fence said...

LOL on the joke and what a great porch sale you had!! I wish I could have come and I know I would have been bringing home a lot of those treasures with me. :-)
Vanessa

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
WOW...if I wasn't so far away...I would have loved to come to your sale. Now being a picker sounds pretty good...wonder how much someone pays for your service...sounds like a lot of fun.

Blessings,
Linda

Susie Q said...

I hated not to come...sure would like to have had a chnce at the suitcases! And, if the croquet set is till available...let me kow!

Cozy Little House said...

I'd have dived right into those vintage suitcases myself!
Brenda

Pam said...

The whole picker thing sounds like fun. That way you buy things and they don't have to sit in the garage for too long. Those binoculars and camp stool are cool. I was thinking about them on the ride home.

Kathleen said...

So true, on the politicians! looks like you did well. I am a wicker picker, so I would have bought that little table/desk? Dh says our porch looks like a REST home with all the wicker out there. I told him to give it a rest! :)

Debby said...

Iwish I could have been there. I would have gotten some of those plates. I saw that little ladder and thought I wish I had it. Sounds like you did great. I am so glad that some Ohio Bloggers made your sale.

Blondie's Journal said...

Now, this is a lot of great junque!! I love the suitcases and I think I would have snatched up the croquet set, too!

Yes, the weather has been odd here, too...first cold, then hot, and now cold again. Crazy! Love the joke!

XO,
Jane

tammylovesdishes said...

I was drooling over your photos wishing I could have attended that sale. Great stuff!
Tammy

Lori E said...

I have the same green picnic basket that is in the first picture. Bought it at a yard sale. LOL.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Oh this really looks like fun...I've been to Waynesville a few times. The first time was with my daughter's dance team...we were at the high school I think. I went back a few years later to shop. Just loved it. Do you mind if I try to take the Buckeye Bloggers button? Although the poor Buckeyes are really struggling at the moment...

La said...

It looks like you had a wonderful selection of goods.

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Sue! Just coming back by to say thanks for linking up to Inspiration Friday this week! Oh, and if I had come to your sale, I would have purchased that box of blue/white dishes. I got to peek at everything again and you truly have some great treasures! :-)
Vanessa

Jemsmom said...

Great things!!! Where those stair banisters in the white drawers? I would have snagged those babies!

Fishtail Cottage said...

drooling over your "junk" it's all so fantastic! Stopping over from Common Ground to say hello - xoxo tracie

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

Awesome! Your sale looked great! Wish I could have been there. Love the blue and white china in the Sketchers shoe box :).

Congrats on a successful sale! By the way, just for fun I mentioned you in my recent post. Check it out and you'll see why :). http://lovelybeasts.blogspot.com/2011/06/freebie-dresser-progress-and-ads-from.html

Emily

Diann said...

Sue, all your treasures looked wonderful and beautifully dislayed! Troy and I have camped down in Waynesville when we go down there for the sauerkraut festival. There was (is?) a fun fabric store off the main street that I just loved! All the Decor fabic! Thank you for joining TTF. I hope you have an awesome weekend!

xinex said...

Oh Sue, I would have loved to rummage through your stuff. Looks like you had a successful sale which I am not surprised, and I am so happy for you...Christine

the cape on the corner said...

now that is some nice "junque." LOVE that spelling, definitley fancifies it!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love your finds and your sale looks so wonderful! Would love to come shop! Loving that wire basket and I have a vintage croquet set too- aren't they so sweet! Thanks for sharing at FNF this week! :)

Susie from Bienvenue said...

LOL Loved the joke!!
Wish I could have visited your sale, would have gotten those blue and white cups for sure!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Hi Sue, looks like you had a great sale with some great stuff! Thanks for linking up with VIF! xo Debra

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Add to my list the pot of lavendar, silver teapot, stepladder and SEVERAl plates!

I am in pain.....

Lou Cinda ;)