Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Can a brown thumb change color?

 

I don’t think my brown thumb is as dark as before~  so far, I’m keeping all the plants and flowers alive in my newly landscaped front yard!!!   Plus, the yard’s looking good with the addition of a few thrifty items.

geranium

This is my favorite color of geranium.  I used them in the two urns outside my front door.

 

entry2

I opted not to have plantings directly outside the doorway. Instead, I’m using urns that can be filled with seasonal flowers. In the winter, I have plans to set my grapevine trees into them.   The two large pots under the Welcome sign are actually clay pottery candle holders that the husband gave me as a Christmas gift.  They were originally slated for a back patio, but I like the way they fill the area here.

 

candle holders

Last summer I was admiring a bed of hens and chicks while at someone’s yard sale.  The sweet lady actually went over and dug some up and gave them to me. Ya gotta love “free.”  I used them to accent this hypertufa planter.  They actually made it through the winter in this container- I simply left it in the garage and gave them an occasional drink of water. 

 

hosta, irish moss

Even the transplanted hostas are thriving!  At first, they were looking really droopy. But they’ve come back!  One humongous plant was divided into about 20 pieces and placed along the pathway leading to the backyard.

 

pathway

I showed the bluestone pathway leading to the backyard in a previous post. The hostas are nestled  in the shady area beneath the pine trees and on the other side of the fence.

 

birdbath

I dug this old birdbath out from storage and plopped a Dollar Tree birdie into it. It needs a good scrubbing with bleach- there’s way too much algae and dirt inside the bowl.  I actually did see a few birds drinking from it, though. They’ve never been back- I sure hope they didn’t get sick!  

lilacs

This variety of lilacs doesn’t produce the vivid purple blooms I remember seeing as a child, but their light hue is still pretty.

 

entry

There was a low area directly in front of the boxwoods that had to filled in with topsoil and then seeded. I covered it with landscape fabric to hold in the seed. If you look closely, you can actually see the sprouts of grass coming through the burlap. the area’s all filled in now and you’d never know it wasn’t the original sod. But if I would not have covered it, I think all of the seed would have been washed away- it rained for two full weeks after the planting was completed.  Although having two weeks of rain was pretty gloomy, it certainly saved me some watering chores for a while!  Then it got hot, dry, and humid and the sprinkler system croaked.  aagghhh….

 

 

hypertufa leaf

I like the detail of this hypertufa leaf that I found last Friday at a garden and antique show. I bought if for the very fair price of $12.  It’s good-sized- about 18 inches long. One of these days, I’d like to try my hand at mixing up a batch of this concrete solution and creating some containers.  They take a long time to cure, so maybe I should think about getting them started before the fall!  Gotta find me some ginormous leaves like this somewhere, too.

 

pineapple

I bought this 32-inch tall concrete pineapple garden ornament at a yard sale last spring.  When I was at the garden show, I priced these things- there wasn’t an  ornament to be had for under $70. Want to know what I paid?   Are you ready?    A whopping three dollars!

 

floral basket

This basket sits between the garage doors and is filled with lots of color.  I didn’t put it together- I found it at the garden show.   It wasn’t inexpensive, but at least the dealer offered  me a bundled price on this and a smaller display in an old tin Quaker Oats can.

yellow bloom

 

 

 

 

salmon blooms

 

 

 

 

oats can

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

purple blooms

These little guys are really starting to grow and to bloom out.    I am so happy that no critters have been munching on them or digging underneath them. The moles didn’t make their appearance in this bed this spring. I think I should knock on some wood, because they just love my yard. We have the lawn company apply the bait, Talprid,  in order to control them.  Nothing else works- and I’ve tried a lot of “cures” that never helped.  I even tried smoking them out! Now that was a funny sight. Can you imagine mole holes with smoke wafting out of all of them? I think those little creatures just laughed at me while down in their tunnels….    I think they finally moved back out into the woods.  Or into the neighbors’ yards.   Whoops…..

                                                                                                                           **********

I had planned on taking a few more pictures, but it’s starting to cloud up and will probably be raining soon.  Of course it would rain- the irrigation system ran this morning for the first time since I had repairs done on it.  For a week and a half, I’ve been having to drag out the hoses and the old timey sprinkler head to get the watering done.  That was a job! I had to set a timer and then run out to change the sprinkler location every half hour.  I’m still waiting on the bill for the part that had to be replaced and I know I am going to have sticker shock. The part that went bad looked like the little plastic piece that holds the top of the box away from the pizza. You know what that looks like, right? Well, I laughingly said that it was a 49 cent part that would cost me an arm and a leg.  I wasn’t wrong. The repair guy estimated the part to be about $30. Yikes!  Then, I still have to pay the labor charge.  Well, it took him all of five minutes to replace the part, but who knows what I’ll be charged.  Too bad the Pizza Hut pizza thingee wouldn’t have worked!    Oh well, I’m just glad the system is back up and running. My brown thumb needs all of the help it can get, even if it IS getting lighter!

I’m meeting with someone to discuss working on the backyard tomorrow. It’s a sloping yard that is practically unusable.  We’re talking lots of fill dirt here. And brick patios. And no more grass!  Well, maybe just a little, but mowing the yard isn’t high on my list of time-savers. I usually spend several hours on the front yard. I always double cut the lawn in different directions, edge the sidewalks and driveway, and then trim the beds.  The husband is in charge of the back yard. He needs football cleats for that.  We cut every three days or so, if it isn’t raining.   Now you know why we don’t want to keep all that grass!

 

                                                                                                           I’m joining the following parties this week:

nifty thrifty tuesdays         outdoor wed.         th_wowuswedparty         inspiration friday button      thrifty things friday

                                                                Please pay these hostesses a visit on their appropriate party days and see a lot of inspiration.

                                                                                                                                      

50 comments:

Barbara F. said...

I don't think your thumb is brown at all. I love the idea of containers vs. in the ground, that would be a plus for me. I may borrow that idea. And that pineapple, wow! Scored big on that. xo,

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your yard looks great Sue! If you know someone with rhubarb those leaves work great for the cement bird baths too-have fun:@)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your thumb definitely is not brown. Everything looks so pretty and healthy - beautiful flowers. You got some great deals on your garden ornaments. I know what you mean about the 49ct. part costing an arm and leg. I had to order a cover for the stove hood light - small piece of plastic and it cost over $30.

Carol said...

Your thumb is definitely green, your gardens are beautiful! I love the pink geraniums best, but they are all such pretty blooms. Great job in the garden.

Stacey said...

Your yard looks fantastic. It takes work. I keep telling myself that a little more every year will get it where we want it.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Everything is looking beautiful Sue!! LOVE those urns!!

Lou Cinda

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Now that the rain has slowed down we are all blogging about our gardens! I just did one this morning too! Looks like you have been doing some work around your place. We are always doing something outside, that is why I don't get too many other projects done! Looks good Sue~Hugs, Patti

Alicia said...

You've been a busy lady Sue! The yards looks beautiful and I'm glad your thumb is turning green. That happens...our bodies change and the rhythm of life changes with them. I gotta say, we're not getting older...we're getting better. Take care my friend :-)

Debby said...

Your yard looks great. Beautiful home. I don't think you have a brown thumb at all. I know I do.....and lots of critters eating everything I plant. So hoping that when I get home there are some plants left. I would have loved to see the smoke out. I was going to say something about your neighbor but decided to be nice.

At The Picket Fence said...

Everything looks just gorgeous Sue! No way you have a brown thumb! :-) I especially loved the pic of your pathway. It looked like it was leading to a secret garden!
Vanessa

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I think everything looks beautiful. Your thumb is definitely turning green. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Blondie's Journal said...

You definitely have a green thumb, Sue. Everything looks healthy colorful and thriving! I love geraniums, too and this year I bought the salmon pink ones. I love your boxwoods, too! I always wanted a hedge! All of your planters are wonderful. Very well done!

XO,
Jane

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, everything looks beautiful. The front lawn and landscaping is gorgeous. Our grass is dying because of lack of rain. The rock path is wonderful too! You are doing good my friend! hugs♥O

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Your thumb is so not brown! Isn't there something about new mulch that just makes you smile? I love everything...but the $3 pineapple blows my mind. What a find!

Susan said...

Your yard is gorgeous!!

All That Glitters said...

Man! $3.00 is awesome!!! Your yard and home is gorgeous!

Lori E said...

Looking good Ethel. Those hostas are really a hardy variety and they should be filling in...well here they would anyway but I guess you get much hotter down there. Hostas don't like hot I don't think.
I wonder what the back yard will look like? Lots of areas for decorative accents I am sure. Lighting?

Kate said...

You have lovely flowers growing around your home. I love your bird bath!

Sharing with Sherri said...

Wow Sue I don't think you have anything close to a brown thumb! Your plants and flowers all look sooo pretty! I love the stone pathway and the pine trees too, it kinda looks like an enchanted forest.

hugs, Sherri:)

Honey at 2805 said...

Your lawn and garden certainly are looking good. My plants are making every effort to melt it is so hot here!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow, Sue! Your garden looks so beautiful! Very profressionally landscaped. I love all your accent pieces -- that pineapple was a fabulous bargain! Yopir flowers and your photography are beautiful!

Martha said...

Lovely gardens! You don't have a brown thumb!

mississippi artist said...

Beautiful garden! I love your stepping stone pathway. Hen and chicks are some of my favorites too.

Light and Voices said...

Containers with flowers add punch to the front of a house.
Joyce M

Emily said...

Sue, I love the urns at your front entrance. I have them too and think they are a nice welcome for guest to see.
The path to the back is great and the charming fence says "welcome". Your home is beautiful and your new flower prove your have a very green thumb.
Happy Summer........

~Emily
The French Hutch

Kaye said...

Your landscaping is just beautiful as are your photos! I love the look of your front door.

Katherines Corner said...

Sue thank you so very much for the tour of your beautiful yard. The entry is so beautiful and welcoming. I did a yard tour at my blog recently too, I hope you'll stop by for a visit. Your yard sale finds are incredible! I must admit I am never so fortunate, giggle. You made it feel as though I was there with you walking through your lovely yard.
Thank you for a a lovely post. Big Hugs, Katherine

Joani said...

I love the pictures. They are so beautiful and I can actually see things. Thanks for sharing.
Have a great day.
http://mysouthwestramblings.blogspot.com/

Jo said...

Your yard is looking marvelous! I think you have overcome your brown thumb!! It seems to me that men love to use those blower things where women find them silly. Keep us posted on your back yd work. Next wk I have to have a root canal done over in your neck of the woods...

Pattie said...

Your yard and home looks fabulous...

Pattie

Pam said...

I think your thumb has changed. Anyone who can over-winter plants is doing pretty good. I had totally forgotten about the hypertufa stuff until you mentioned it. I saw it in a magazine last year and was totally obsessed with what I could make with it. I'll have to look into it again.

classic • casual • home said...

Just have to call you Madame Greenthumb now. Beautiful. The stone path way is so elegant.

Cindy said...

Your garden is beautiful, I would say that your brown thumb has turned very green.
Hugs, Cindy

rebeckah@mydwellingplace said...

Very Nice Job! I would also say your thumb is very green. Visiting from At the Picket Fence.

Mary said...

I love hostas and miss those I left at our old house when we moved. But I'm seriously jealous of that pineapple! It's gorgeous, and I love the price. Thanks for sharing at the linky party.

Kathleen said...

It is looking good, Sue, very pretty! Love all your urns and garden art.
Something is eating my clematis, they are all turning brown from the roots.
I am writing down the name of that mole stuff you use.

Made In The South said...

Your home and yard are just beautiful.
I have two pineapples just like yours on brick colums at the end of my driveway.
I will never forget my MIL wanted to know why in the world would I put those there. I had to explain to her that they are the sign of 'Welcome'.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Melissa

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Sue, everything looks fabulous. Love the colorful flowers and the greenery. I had a green thumb till this year. I think the deer have eaten up a LOT of my plants, and also something white has attached itself to my flowering plants - ugh! Linda

Diann said...

Oh Sue, you have lots of beautiful things in your yard! Love those urns on your front porch! And the lushness of all the green is just gorgeous! Thank yor for joining TTF. have a wonderful weekend!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Goodness it sure doesn't look like you have a brown thumb anymore! Your yard is lovely! The picture with the stepping stones leading to the back yard is so charming. :)

Babs said...

Sue, I'm lovin' your container arrangements and the hypertufa and concrete garden ornaments. Your plants are gorgeous and I'm jealous! After we came back from NJ a lot of ours were dead...no rain and no sprinker system. I just finished putting out new plants in the urn by the walkway and in the flower boxes by the mail box. I love your plant choices for your urns and basket. Hope you have a great weekend,
Babs

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, you home and yard are beautiful! I love those candle holders by the front door, and I bet they are beautiful when lit with a candle. Your flagstone path with plantings beside it looks so inviting, and even dirty, that is one of the prettiest bird baths I've ever seen. laurie

Kellie Collis said...

What a lovely garden! You've got gorgeous flowers! Enjoy the beautiful weekend, Kellie xx

xinex said...

What a delightful looking yard, Sue! Your home is beautiful!...Christine

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Sue! Just coming back over to say thanks for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Everything looks beautiful! You have a lovely home and it's fun to know things like your little birdie came from the Dollar Tree! I love to shop...but I love a bargain! ♥

Jane said...

Hi Sue,
I'm not seeing any brown thumb in your garden!! Your home and your landscaping are beautiful. Thanks for the wonderful garden tour!
Jane

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, It all looks so pretty! We redid our front lawn last Fall after having to cut down a large tree right smack in the middle of the front yard. The new grass was so pretty in early Spring but already the weeds have found their way in it. I wonder what it would be like to live in a condo and have no yard work. :) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Brandi said...

Hi Sue, Your yard is beautiful. I love the stone pathway. Thank you for the tour!

Jilly said...

Awesome yard. I also planted so many herbs in my garden. Planning to plant mint, lavender, rosemary and the other herbs. The stand of bird is unique art.
sell my car