Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Garden Accessories Fun

 

garden mosaic1

I found some fun garden accessories while thrifting last week- we all know that garden ornaments really add a lot of pizazz to landscaping beds. I hit the jackpot at a yard sale I never even planned on attending. I had just come from a bust of a sale and was on my way out of the neighborhood when I saw a directional sign for a sale I hadn’t seen advertised. Now, I don’t usually wander off my planned route, so I was pleasantly surprised as I turned down the court, walked up the driveway, and was greeted by an entire sale of vintage items- a lot of them garden ornamentals.

I wandered around and kept finding things I just had to have.   I hit it off almost with the seller almost immediately. She knew  that I “got” the entire vintage thing, unlike many of her sale-goers who were just looking for the usual bargain garage sale items. After over an hour of shopping and chatting with Karen, I ended up with a new friend and some cool garden accessories, all perfect for my summer garden.

 





angel

I actually think this little sculpture was originally part of a fountain. The little boy is sitting on a fish with a mouth that certainly looks as if he spouted water in a previous life.  I plopped him in the middle of the bed right under the window.  I think he’s been stored away for quite some time- he smells a bit old and musty. Maybe that scent will wear off as he gets pelted with the steady rains we’ve been having all weekend.

 

poseidon

I’m calling this wall ornament my Greek god. He looks a bit like Poseidon, don’t you think? He’s hanging on the wall in the main bed off the front walkway.

 

greek god

 

 

 

 

 

coal grate1

The husband didn’t quite know what to think of my purchase of  this rusty old coal grate. I knew it would be a perfect planter once I placed a cocoa liner in it.

 

grate2

I had planned on planting some perennials in it yesterday-but just as I was headed out the door, the rain started falling.  So this morning, while out in my robe, I plopped these babies into the grate. Good thing I was in the side yard so no one could see me. Who plants in their PJ’s ? Good thing I did, though, because it’s been raining ever since.

 

dianthus

This dianthus flower looks almost like a little rose.

 

grate3

Here’s the grate tucked in among the hostas and the pine trees. It should fill in soon- I’ve become an avid fan of Miracle Gro.

 

pathway

This is the view of my secret garden path looking the opposite direction that I showed you in the last post.  I put down about a dozen sprigs of ivy- hope it starts spreading soon.  I used some creeping Jenny and some Irish moss for additional variety.

 

bee  skep 

This hypertufa bee skep wasn’t really a thrifty yard sale find- it came from the garden and antique show we attended up in Troy last week, but it really wasn’t all that expensive.

 

mushroom

This mushroom also came from the garden show, but from a different vendor than the bee skep.

 

 

 

urn, mushroom

I placed him in the same bed as Poseidon, by the front doorway. I’m so thrilled that my oak leaf hydrangea bush is blooming! I’ve never had these before. There are six more plants in the side yard bed, but they are a different variety than this one. Don’t ask me what kind those are- I’m  still new at all this.

snail

This concrete snail was a frugal find from a few years ago. He’s nestled underneath the mushroom.

 

garden ornaments-1

                                                                                                                  

 

Won’t you please stop by to visit these hostesses on their appropriate party days :

Mary’s Mosaic Monday

Rhoda’s Today’s Thrifty Treasures  - Monday

Linda’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Mary’s Share the Love Wednesday

Susan’s Outdoor Wednesday

Rhonda’s Treasure Hunt Thursday

Allison’s Stuff and Nonsense Summer Sales-Thrifting, Flea Markets, and Yard Sales on Friday

Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence

Courtney’s French Country Cottage-A Shabby Cottage Summer on Friday

Sherry’s Home Sweet Home on Friday,

Debra’s Vintage Inspiration Friday    

Jenna’s SAS Interiors  Summer Spaces

      

                     

 

Blog Party Button-3

     





58 comments:

frances said...

I love them all they look wonderful. love to find things for my garden just to make it interesting..Frances

Miss Char said...

Sue, all your treasures look "made for the garden" and I have to tell you I'm in LOVE with your bee skep! Thanks for the tour of the garden.

Barbara F. said...

I love your garden! I think you should be a landscape designer! xo,

farmlady said...

What wonderful garden "finds".
They really add to your beautiful outdoor space.
Love the grate. What a good idea to plant in it. I may have to look for one.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I love all of your garden treasures....

Cozy Little House said...

I LOVE your secret garden path! So mysterious. And your finds are perfectly chippy and rusty, just like we like them.
Brenda

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Lovin' your angel and fish! I agree the fish looks like a spitter, how fun would that be to add to a big bird bath! Great finds Sue:@)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You got some great pieces. I need to do some maintenance in my courtyard, but was just to hot today. Don't give up on the ivy. I have heard the 1st yr. it weeps, 2nd yr. it creeps and 3rd year it sweeps ! :D
Enjoy your evening.

salmagundi said...

Your garden is beautiful - it doesn't look like it's tended by a novice! Great yard sale finds! Sally

Jo said...

You got some great finds! WE need to replace alotr of our yd ornaments I'd like a few plain garden fairies but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Your yard is looking great!

Paula said...

You found some great pieces at that yard sale. I'll bet that the former owner was glad that someone bought her things that will treasure them.

Turning that coal grate into a planter is such a good idea. It looks great filled with flowers.

Your photos are so pretty and your yard looks so nice!

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

Your garden is a sanctuary. Gorgeous. I especially adore that Poseidon ornament, given that I taught Greek myths back in my teaching days...

My garden is a playlot filled with plastic toys for my little boys. But one day...one day it will be like yours...

:)

Pinning your finds to my outdoor inspiration file!

Pam said...

You always find the coolest stuff! That kid sitting on the fish is cute. And I love that bench that is by the bee skep.

Terra said...

Isn't it great you saw the little sign and detoured to find the lady with her garden treasures? I would have loved to have visited her sale with you. Your vision for the coal grate was very original.

Carol said...

You have a stunning garden! I love the path! And especially the Angel. You always find the nicest treasures.

Mary Ellen said...

Fantastic garden Sue! I really love the bee skep! I would love to find one I wonder if the bees would set up shop there? Have a hive of bees in the back yard now.

Pink Overalls @DIY Home Staging said...

Your garden and yard don't look like a novice's. You have a great eye. I like that you have a style that unifies your garden design. Having most of your things in vintage concrete keeps it all together.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. I found you on Southern Hospitality.

middle child said...

The hydrangia in the picture could actually be a hydrangia tree. I couldn't figure out my plant for a couple years because it wasn't like the ones I was used to seeing. I finally decided to trim the thing into a tree shape because of the way it was growing. Then I saw a plant that looked exactly like mine at Home Depot. And it was called a hydrangia tree. If it has conical shaped flowers on it,...that's what it is.

Pat said...

What fabulous finds, Sue!! I love your secret garden. Beautiful!

Mary said...

Wow, I think you're doing great with your garden! Don't you just love the new treasures from the unexpected yard sale? Honestly I love that coal grate - bet your husband is sold on it now :) Thanks for sharing the beauty, I've got to start putting together plans for my garden - now's the time to dream!

ANNE said...

Wonderful finds! I love it when gardens contain little surprises like this. For a 'novice' gardener, you're doing a super job!

Barbara said...

Oak Leaf hydrangea

Sue said...

Barbara, Couldn't reply directly to you because you are a "no reply blogger." Did you know this? Anyway, I knew this one was an oak leaf, just don't know what is on the side yard. I wanted big ball blooms, so who knows what went in there. I forgot to keep the plans... LOL

Designs on 47th Street said...

Sue, I want to come sit in your yard. It all looks so beautiful. Love the garden path with the stepping stones and all your treasures you have found for the yard. I wonder what form they used for the bee skeep? (Did I spell that right...it looks funny) :)

Lovely post!
Donna

Southerncook said...

Fabulous "finds" and your garden looks lovely as well. LOVE what you did with the old rusty coal thing. Thank you for visiting my blog and I had planned to do a post on garden accents on Wed. for Outdoor Wednesday.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Sarah said...

Wonderful new additions to your garden. I'm always on the look out for something interesting for the garden. Your path to your secret garden makes me want to follow. ;-)
Your hydrangeas are oak leaf hydrangeas. They are one we can grow here in TX. ~ Sarah

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue, you always maze me by the wonderful bargains you find thrifting! I love your vintage garden ornaments and the coal planter was genius!

Please come over and enter the $100 HomeGoods gift card giveaway on my review blog!

Ms. Bake-it said...

What a wonderful garden! So many great garden accessories. Love your clever use of the coal grate!

~ Tracy

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, I totally would have bought these too! The coal grate is very cool and I love all garden concrete items especially if they are old. I garden in my PJ's all the time. I have had my neighbor's come over and talk to me when I had them on...oh well. Your path is simply serene...love it! ♥O

Laurel said...

Such fun thrifty garden finds...I especially love the grate planted with the flowers. I have a similar one...right now it has glass jars with candles in it...but I may have to think about planting it too :) Thanks, Laurel@chippingwithcharm

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
WOW girl...you really did good this week out thriftn'...tell your hubby that I love that "cool" planter!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

WHAT a beautiful garden! All your accessories are the icing on the cake. Love your flair!

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

What wonderful garden treasures!Your finds you aquired are great and I love the others as well. Beautiful gardens

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You really did hit the jackpot! What great finds! I love that coal grate used as a planter!

Babs said...

Sue, You may be a novice gardener but you're no novice at findint fabulous garden ornaments. OMGosh! you found the gold mine.
About the ivy, it follows that old rule of.. the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps and the third year it leaps. Good luck with it. Right now, I'm trying to get rid of some of my ivy as it's taken over one of my beds and running up a tree.
I love it but it's gone wild in the last couple of years.
Great post and LOVE all you new garden treasures.
Babs

Kathleen said...

I think oak leaf hydrangea too! I have a few varieties, but not those.
Last year some of my hydrangea were covering the garage windows. I cut them back to half. Wellllll, they're back! Up over the windows again!
Try hollytone on your hydrangeas, azaleas, rhodies etc. They love it.
Love your angel, and the grate is a great planter!
The secret garden looks lovely. I hope you keep the secret from the weeds. :)

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Hi Sue..love your garden and all the whimsy it adorns. I see the girls cleared up some confusion on the party link....Have fun.

Honey at 2805 said...

I adore you whimsical garden treatures and you garden is devine!

Genie said...

Like all the neat sculptures you have placed around and about your garden. I am thinking it must look like a magical land there. Your mushroom has to be my favorite. Such a nice post filled with wonderful photos. Genie

French Hen Farm said...

wow what great finds! Don't you love it when you stumble upon a great sale! My hubby and I always are disappointed with the advertised ones and seem to love the ones we just find.
Your gardens are beautiful!
have a great week!
linda

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

My favorite is the secret garden path!!

dogsmom said...

I have to agree with Anita - love the secret garden path but also all the treasures to find tucked here and there.
You had vision when it came to the coal grate and it is wonderful.

Joani said...

Love the photos....I can actually see them! Beautiful greenery. Have a great day.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, your garden looks magical. You found a great yard sale! Love the idea of the fp grate as a planter! How clever of you. You are going to have to give up the "brown thumb" status. Your flowers look so pretty. laurie

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hiya sue

I am loving your path and all your glorius new finds. I supose that will be such a fabulous retreat for your family.

You always inspire me so!

Hugs always,
Claudia

Pamela said...

You have such a beautiful garden!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Love your pathway!

Light and Voices said...

You have an eye to become a landscape designer. Lovely just lovely garden.
Joyce M

Blue Creek Home said...

I love the things you found and they are perfect in your beautiful garden. Love the grate planted!
Thanks for linking up to THT
Rhonda

outjunking said...

simply gorgeous.
lisa

Debra said...

How fun to find such a great sale, and garden statuary would be the best!! You found some wonderful pieces, so glad you joined in for the Block Party! xo Debra

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

All of them are wonderful...but I adore the coal rack...that is so smart and looks fantastic!

xinex said...

Yor garden is just beautiful Sue. I like it looking natural like that. I like your walk way. Great yard sale finds! Oh and yes, I garden in my pj's all the time cause nobody can really see me in the backyard....Christine

Sherry said...

Sue,
I love your recent finds! I can never find just the concrete piece I am looking for, these are wonderful! I also like the use of the old grate. The ivy will spread soon. We have it in our backyard and it goes everywhere.
Sherry

Katherines Corner said...

Sue I love your secret garden! It's beautiful. The garden statues and coal grate are wonderful finds. What treasures to add to your lovely garden. Hoping your week is as sweet as you are. Hugs, Katherine

Gail said...

You really did a wonderful job adding yard sale garden ornaments that blend so well with your original collection, looks very "european", old world.

very merry vintage style said...

What a beautiful garden. I love the path and your new thrifted ornaments are amazing. hanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday; hope you'll be back again this week!
Mary

Claire said...

Love your garden tchotchkes-they're my favorite part of my gardens too!! I'm your newest follower-can't wait to read on!!