Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Seeking Passionate Pickers….

 

Okay, you all know Mike and Frank of the History Channel’s American Pickers show, right?  What?! You don’t  know who these two funny guys are?  Well, go here first.  I’ll wait….

 

american-pickers-mike-wolfe               american-pickers-frank-fritz

Okay, you must be back or you already know who these guys if you’re reading this sentence. And if you didn’t take the time to visit the link, here’s the quick low-down.  Mike and Frank travel around the country meeting collectors, hoarders all in hopes of finding some great picks for clients or for their shop in Iowa .  The popularity of these two crazy guys and their adventures has spawned another major cable network show called “The Untitled Antiques-Collectibles Competition.”  I recently received an e-mail with the following ad seeking pickers to audition for the show.

 

 

Castings

                                                                                                                click on ad to see application

 

Now I like the thrill of the hunt and all, but on my own terms. I set limits on the amount of territory I’m willing to travel to find the things I like. But maybe fuel will be paid for. Now I’m really not all that knowledgeable about the big items that many pickers go after.  I use the internet to search for facts concerning the little treasures I uncover, but I don’t know how willing I’d be to search for stuff that doesn’t really interest me. The assignment for picking items could be something I know absolutely nothing about. I’d certainly have to have my mini-laptop on for the ride with me, that’s for sure.

But I did think it is an interesting concept to let the average  Jane or Joe have as much fun as Mike and Frank have.  I do have one concern, though- who selects the team partners in this competition? Surely not everyone going into this  has a ready-made partner. I guess the producers know what they’re doing. Maybe they think all pickers have the same type personalities and mentalities. A good team has to mesh well for negotiating, ya know.  Good guy, bad guy type of thing….   And if you’re riding along in a truck with this person, he/she better be compatible to you!  I stop for lots of potty breaks when I’m drinking my Coke or Dr. Pepper!  

***  I  just re-read the advertisement and it reads “….both you and your partner should fill out the application.”   ***                I should pay better attention….

All in all, I think it’s a pretty fun idea. What do you think- would you like a camera crew along on your picks?   Smile     I think I’d actually consider it if I had the right partner.  Any takers out there?!   LOL 

19 comments:

Debby said...

Oh yes, I'd do it. What fun. We would probably have to be censored, hah.

Jo said...

Interesting concept Would be fun to watch We never made it out of our basement this past w/e I had to take advantage of my hsb wanting to clean it out Hope all was fun and you did well in Waynesville

Pam said...

That sounds interesting, not sure I'd do well under pressure though. Whenever I watch American Pickers I think of all the snakes and critters in the barns they are crawling through. I would have to weigh my hatred of snakes with my love of a good find!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Interesting. I am not a picker. I just go looking to see if anything appeals to me and then see if the price is right.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Think I will pass. :D I like to go junkin when I want to go and on my own terms - don't like long road trips Also, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to that kind of thing.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Now I love a good road trip, AND a good potty break. :-)
Cass

KAT said...

well if you do it it will be interesting to read about!
KAT

All That Glitters said...

That sounds like lots of fun!! My dad would love this! I've been around junk all of my life but I just pick out what I like for myself.

Pat said...

We love Mike and Frank!!

I don't think either of us is spry enough to do the major picking those guys do. Although J, who has always been one of those junkin' kinda guys, might do pretty good!:-)

Babs said...

It sounds like fun. I don't pick for resale any more only for myself. Is that still picking? :)
Fun post.
Babs

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Hi Sue, to answer your question about the chalk paint, Lady Butterbug said that the wax sometimes doesn't harden if the furniture is left outside. Any way, obviously I don't have lots of experience with this paint, so I am just learning.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I love American Pickers. I have been a fan since their first show. However...I just can't see myself climbing around barns in the hot weather! The places they go are amazing though...I just saw a rerun and they were in Ohio. Best of luck finding a partner!

classic • casual • home said...

Well...this is a show that would be fun to watch...but I'm not cut to actually be on it.

Lori E said...

My whole concern would be where I am eating next. I am a ton of laughs on a road trip though.

Jemsmom said...

I watch that show all the time!!! I would totally do it! I would have no idea what to look for or what I was looking at, but I would have a great time!!!

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

I just gave you the One Lovely Blog award, check it out here.

http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/2011/06/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Have a blessed day.

Carol said...

It sounds like it would be fun! Go for it! I saw those guys on a talk show recently. They seemed fun.

Kathleen said...

I have watched it, and the one where you bid on a container. The last picker I saw, eeeww, they were crawling through all kinds of crap in some old coots junk yard!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

ME ME ME!!! Love their show!

Lou Cinda