Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Literally a “Spring” Sofa Table Vignette

 

The title of this post connotes that this is a spring season table top vignette, but there is a second meaning to it. I used an old bed spring in my cloche as a stand for a moss covered egg.

cloche2

I found several of these rusty old springs last summer, but I put them away and couldn’t find them! I know I’ve told you I do this all the time and I’ve gotten many responses that said you do the same thing.  At least I know I am not alone in my insanity and loss of memory, right?   Well, I found two more springs at a favorite vintage shop and made sure that I put them in a “safe” place.  I used one out to create this cloche to celebrate the spring season.  All I did was top the bedspring with some shredded sheet music and add a moss covered egg. Voila- a simple “nested” egg display for the sofa table.

 

 

 

sofa table2

Here you can see where  I placed the cloche. I  think I may have shown it in an earlier post,  but I honestly can’t remember. Things have been pretty hectic around here lately. What with the landscaping project and readying for my” Vintage Finds Porch Sale” this weekend….   Whew- I’m tired just typing it out!

 

 

 

bird

I’ve had this sweet little ceramic bird since we moved into our first house back in 1979. My goodness- that was decades and decades ago!  How time flies…..  

 

 

 

 

cloche2

The reindeer moss that surrounds this little guy and his friend in the background smells so sweet and earthy when you lift the dome.  The delicate speckled eggs scattered  in the moss are real bird’s eggs that have been blown out.  And I DO mean delicate- I smooshed two of them trying to cover the display with the cloche.

 

 

 

egg

This is simply a Styrofoam egg with glued on moss and leaves.  Can’t get any easier than this!

 

 

 

bud vases

At the opposite end of the table, I used a vintage stamp holder to hold three small bud vases.  Too bad I didn’t pop in a flower in each vase, huh?  Originally, the holder was used for business stamps that might have said something like, “PAID,” or “CANCELLED,” or “PAYMENT DUE.”  Do you remember those types of stamps?

 

 

 

sofa table

Another shot of the sofa table.  The sun was actually shining through the windows today-  Halleluia!  It stormed all night long, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. I spent my entire day waiting for service/repair people. The sprinkler system had to be turned on and the air conditioner got its annual  maintenance.  I had several broken sprinkler heads, due to the landscaping crew’s inattentiveness. I gave them a heads up as to where the sprinklers were located, but I guess I should have flagged them. It cost me $31 apiece, plus labor charges, to replace them. When we have the north side of the yard done, I won’t forget to do that, let me tell ya! 

 

And speaking of the landscape project, here’s a little preview…..

pathway2

This is the south side of the yard where the path leads to the backyard. It  was originally sodded when we moved in, but we get so much shade on this side of the house that all the grass died. We were left with an icky, wet, and muddy mess every time we walked to the back.  So I had the crew lay a bluestone path from the large pine tree at the front of the house to the fence in the backyard.  What a difference this made- it actually looks like a path to a secret garden.

 

 

 

bench

The bench was a  thrifty find at a going out of business sale a few years back. It may not look it, but that sucker is heavy! I hauled it out of the garage and put it here. I’ve started adding in some ferns, some ground cover, and some Irish moss along the path. I’m just doing it as I get the time.  I still need to fill a pot and place it in the vintage plant holder I bought last weekend at a yard sale.  There’s always tomorrow, I guess!  Right now, I’m still pricing my goods for the porch sale. I’m almost done- got a lot done today while waiting for the service guys. 

 

                                                      ***************************************************************************************

 

                                         porch sale flyer

 

This is the flyer advertising my porch sale this weekend.  A friend of mine who owns The Peddler House in Waynesville has graciously offered me the use of her porch to have my sale.  The village is having its Old Main Street Antique Show on Sunday, so hopefully we’ll have lots of traffic. You just never know what to expect.  Several blogging friends have let me know they’ll be stopping by for a visit, so at least I’ll see a few familiar faces!  If you’re wondering where I got the name of my  “shop”,   I used the name of  one of the husband’s relatives. I love the name, “Sadie.” 

                                         

 

                                                       I’m linking up with the following parties. Please visit their hostesses on their appropriate link-up days.

 

nifty thrifty tuesdays                    Table Top Tuesday             th_wowuswedparty                    sherry

 

                   

 

  french country cottage                         Inspiration Friday Graphic                 charm of home                   vintage inspiration button

51 comments:

La said...

So much to do and so little time...

Clever cloche vignette, Sue.

Alicia said...

I love your little vignette, but what really intrigued me was the stamp holder with the bud vases! I saw it in the 2nd photo and I said, "Ooooo, what is that!" Then you explained...lol. That is wonderful, love that idea. I'm going to be on the lookout for one of those!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Your "spring" cloche is great!!

Jo said...

Love the side yd it looks great...Did you go to the extravaganza? Find any deals? WE are hoping to go to Waynesville

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Love your new stone path Sue! Best of luck with the sale, I know that's a lot of work:@)

Susan said...

Sue, your vignette is gorgeous! I love the cloche with the little birdie! So cute!

mississippi artist said...

Great cloche display! I love your side yard too!

Barbara F. said...

That "spring" vignette is great, I never could envision anything like that! I love your garden path and the bench. xo,

CJ said...

Lovely Spring vignette. If you see something that intrigues you - like rusty bed springs - and you don't buy it, you'll never forgive yourself. Buy it, hide it away until inspiration strikes. Thanks for that reminder. Lovely design. ~CJ

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Your sofa table is lovely but I am blown away by your stone path and seating area...well done! I just love the huge photos...they are so clear. I feel like I'm right there in your garden. Have a great week! ~Ann

Pat said...

Now that is a clever Spring idea, Sue!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You created a very pretty cloche and vignette - great job. The reindeer moss I used does not have a sweet smell, but does have a earthy smell.
Wish I could be there for your big sale - sure hope you do well.
Enjoy your evening.

Carol said...

Beautiful vignette! I love the cloche, looks perfect where you put it. I can so relate to forgetting, not to mention misplacing. All the time lately.

Stacey said...

Sue, everything looks beautiful - inside and out. Your pathway is a great way to deal with a shady spot. We are fighting a couple of areas around our yard right now. Your solution is probably the best way to make it pretty.

farmlady said...

Using that bed spring in that way is a wonderful idea. Very pretty! You house always looks so lovely and getting rid of the lawn make a lot less water useage during the summer. We got rid of ours this year too. Don't miss it at all.

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Love your little vignette under the cloche! The spring - quite clever! Everything looks wonderful.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Sue! Thanks for visiting! We do feel lucky to live in a good climate! What an ordeal some of you have had with the Winter and Spring. I like your creative vignette! Your landscaping looks like it's coming along nicely. Good luck with your sale!

blessedmom's simple home said...

The little spring looks sweet under that cloche, and I love your secret garden path! I'd love to have too much shade somewhere :-)
Enjoy your week!
Blessings,
Marcia

Jemsmom said...

That bedspring is fabulous in your cloche! I love that and how clever of you to think of it! Your path does look magical. I am going to have to show it to the hubby. We have a space on the side of the house with the same thing. It looks so wonderful! BTW... I love the music on your blog!

Miss Char said...

That is probably the most unique cloche vignette I've ever seen Sue. Three thumbs up on this one. Good luck on the sale!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Sue, I love the path you put in--it does have the feel of a secret garden. I am always amazed at how much I can get done when stuck in the house waiting for workmen, especially if I am home alone! Your cloche is very nicely done--the little bird looks quite happy. Linda

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your room and garden are gorgeous and of course you know that I am drooling over the cloche display. I definitley need to find a spring. This is just fantastic. I also love the stamp holder, what a great accessory and the little vases are perfect. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I am very sad. Oh your display is beautiful...love the spring...wish I could find one. Why am I sad???
I am in AZ!!!! I want to come to your porch sale. Well, fooey!!

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

I think my favorite is the stamp holder, but the spring is too cool too!!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

The spring is genius in the cloche! Same for the vintage stamp holder and vases. I want one of those like crazy now! Your place looks wonderful. And good luck with you porch sale. It's going to be great!!!

And I think the secret with the mod podge is to make sure you don't thinly spread the glue on to the surface. Make sure you have a medium-thickness of glue and you put it both on the surface and on the back of the paper. At least that's the tips I've seen after doing some research before I mod-podged my dresser. Hope that helps!

It's so great hearing from you by the way. Talk to you soon :)

Emily

Rettabug said...

What a creative use for that spring, Sue! I have used little ones with a candle tucked down inside & then screwed the whole thing into a plant but I like your idea better.

Your yard looks AWESOME & I'm also in love with your sofa table, too! Gorgeous!

Good luck with your sale! Wish I could attend.
fondly,
Rett

Nook & Cranny said...

Love your vignette, specially the moss covered egg. I am inspired by this.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

thestonerabbit said...

Your yard looks fabulous, Sue!!! I need a major amount of landscaping done.

How I wish I lived near you....I'd be at your sale in a minute! That sounds like so much fun!!!

Good luck with it.....and I love your little cloche vignette!!!

L, Dana

Kathy said...

Sue - what a beautiful setting you created in your cloche! Love the moss. AND, I love the "secret garden" path...

Ha ha - forget where things are???...well, I think you've seen my basement - I'm right there with ya - treasures are unearthed all the time!! :)

It was great seeing you at Springfield - and you know I'm gonna miss ya like crazy at our Market Day - but there's always next year...

Hugs - have a beautiful sunshine-y day!

Kathy

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

You seem to be more productive than I am this week! I am still planning my garage sale but am sidelined by a sinus infection. I am hoping I get my 2nd wind and start to make up for lost time! Good luck with your Porch Sale!~Hugs, Patti

Balisha said...

What a clever girl you are...Good luck with your porch sale.Balisha

Cindy said...

What a adorable cloche! So creative, just love the spring and what a precious little bird!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

Honey at 2805 said...

Your cloche display is so creative. Looks like you have a lot of things going on around your home!

Kathleen said...

Love your SPRING decor, how clever! Your table is lovely.
Good luck with the sale and have a great weekend!

bj said...

OOO, I sure would love to come to the sale.:)
Love your path...
Thanks for the encouragement on my table. I am so not good at this sort of thing and I always make it into too big a deal. I have to remember to keep breathing..:)

bj said...

OOO, I sure would love to come to the sale.:)
Love your path...
Thanks for the encouragement on my table. I am so not good at this sort of thing and I always make it into too big a deal. I have to remember to keep breathing..:)

bj said...

OOO, I sure would love to come to the sale.:)
Love your path...
Thanks for the encouragement on my table. I am so not good at this sort of thing and I always make it into too big a deal. I have to remember to keep breathing..:)

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for your comment about my little surprises. Just a secret between you and me, Those were the .01% I do know and they are close relatives!

Again, I adore your cloche! Have a great weekend!

xinex said...

Good luck on your garage sale, Sue. I hope you make loads and loads of money. You are very good in repurposing and so creative in putting vignettes together. I love how you decorated your cloche...Christine

Tanya@takesix said...

I Love how you used the spring. Such a sweet idea! Good luck with your sale. I hope you post pics!!

Sherry said...

Sue,
Your spring vignette is extremely cute and smart. I love how that turned out. I also love the new stone path. We have a spot in the yard just like this we should do this too. It is a really neat space now with the path leading you. Love it! Thanks for linking it up!
Sherry

susie said...

You know what I LOVED??? The stepping stones that look like they are leading you into a secret garden...gorgeous!!
Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend Friend..
Smiles,
Susie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue, your home looks so beautiful and all your little decorative touches are very imaginative. I like your shady garden path.

Good luck with your "Sadie" sale!

Babs said...

Fun "Spring" vingette and your landscaping project. Can't wait to see how it progresses. What are the shrubs on the left? They look familiar but I can't remember what they are... senior moment. lol
Have a great weekend,
Babs

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Oh what a charming idea to use that spring as you did! I love your cloche and the whole vignette- it's wonderful! Your yard looks so pretty too~ good luck with your sale! Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday~ have a great weekend! :)

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue! Your spring cloche is so cute and creative. I just sold one of those vintage stamp holders now seeing that you added vases I wish I had kept it. Thanks for joining my party.
xo,
Sherry

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Your cloche is adorable! I can't believe that's a bed spring -- and love what you did with the sheet music!

At The Picket Fence said...

How on earth do you come up with these things Sue?! You are truly so creative and it is just lovely. I can't wait to see more of your landscape project and to hear about the sale. I know it will be a success! Thanks for linking up to Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Debra@Common Ground said...

Love the use of these springs, and everything is better under glass! Thanks so much for linking up with VIF. Hope your sale went well!
xo Debra

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I like your springy vignettes :), your lamp base even kind of looks like a spring. The stamp holder is very cool.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Sue~ I've got a favor to ask...I would like to invite you over for a visit to see a very special post I've written. I would love it if you could take a few moments to stop by.
Thank you sweet friend,
Sara