Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Touches of Spring for the Hutch

 

                                          It’s a party at Shelia’s to show off our favorite cupboards!                

 

                                                                             HoH party - fav cupboard

                                                                                         click to link

 

 

I guess I would have to say that my black hutch really is the heart of the kitchen in our home. It certainly is the most predominant piece of furniture in the room.   I know many of you have already seen it before; but in honor of Shelia’s party, I’ve  added a few spring touches in anticipation of the upcoming Easter holiday.

 

1

I always have some of my white dinnerware displayed in the hutch. Last month I added in my small collection of  blue and white stoneware and transferware. Now we all know that the Easter Bunny likes to add some bright hues to his eggs, so I took a cue from him and used these LED egg candles to spruce things up a little.  I found them on clearance at Target for 75% off last year. 

             

12

 

13

 

14

 

 

 

 2

I paired a covered jar with a small bowl of  egg candles on the middle shelf of the hutch.

 

 

 

 

3

The jar is very rustic and the mark on the bottom said it was made in Spain. I found it at a yard sale last fall. It would make a great cookie jar- it’s about 13 inches tall and  eight inches wide in the middle. Too bad cookies don’t last long enough in this household to go INTO a cookie jar!

 

 

 

4

More bright colors come from these six egg candles. They were an after-holiday frugal find, just like the LED candles above. The scribbles and dots on them remind me of the designs made with the wax pens that we used as kids when we colored our eggs.  I wonder if they still include those in the Paas Easter coloring kits?

 

 

 

8

I wasn’t satisfied with the way the jar looked on the shelf, paired with only the bowl of candles, so I replaced it with a small pitcher and a plate from the bottom shelf of the hutch.  I’m much happier with this look. 

 

 

6

This is the little pitcher that I bought at Scott’s Antique show in Columbus last month. You can see the crack on the rim where it broke while I was washing it.  Gorilla Glue to the rescue!

 

 

 

11

There wasn’t much room on the bottom shelf for anything large, so the addition of a moss covered basket fit the bill perfectly. It’s filled with little colored eggs.  The plate behind the basket is the one I ended up placing on the middle shelf.

 

 

 

9

I’m not really sure what these eggs are made from, but their colors are very delicate. Wish there were more blue ones….

 

 

 

10

 

 

 

 

7

 

 

 

5

 

 

 

 

16

I don’t think I’ve ever shown the bottom half of the hutch before. There are two shelves for storage behind the door on the left; there is a drop down bin on the right where I keep my placemats; and I keep bottles of wine on the built-in center rack. This shot is filled with glare from the sunlight that finally made its appearance late this afternoon. Even though the sun felt warm streaming through the windows, the wind was still blowing and temperatures were only in the mid 40’s. Can you say blustery?   Maybe by the time Easter rolls around, it will finally be warm!  

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m posting early because I’m off to the High Point Furniture Market first thing in the morning.   I look forward to this show every spring and fall  and I can’t wait to see all the new trends in furniture and accessories for this season!  I talked to some friends who tried to see Paula Deen at the Universal Furniture showroom on Friday- they said there was a very long line to meet her. 

Well, I intend to wait!  I’m certainly no stranger to standing in line-  La and I waited  four hours to meet Ree Drummond when we attended the Pioneer Woman book signing last month.  I sure hope to come home with a signed book.  We’ll see………. 

 

 

                                                                                                                         I’m also linking up with:

 

                                                                                                                        Kim @Savvy Southern Style 

                                                                                                                           Photobucket

 

 

                                                                                                                     Liz  @The Brambleberry Cottage

                                                                                                                          TimeTravelLinkyParty

 

 

 

                                                                                                                    Vanessa and Heather’s Inspiration Friday

37 comments:

Jo said...

Have a great time...we need to get together when you get back I got my van back after 5 wks of Chucks car being in the shop! I love the Target cups!

Cindy said...

Love your hutch and all your pretties! Love you basket, so sweet!

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my, you've got some lovely treasures on that awesome hutch! So happy you posted early, would not have wanted to miss this!

Nancy

A Hint of Home said...

Love your hutch and all your pretties!
I hope you get a chance to meet Paula!
Have fun!

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! What a wonderful hutch and you've dressed her so beautifully! Love all your little Springness. I'm glad you posted early as we would have hated to have missed your wonderful hutch.
Have fun at the market!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I just love that hutch and love all your little eggs added to it. Have fun at High Point.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Your ironstone is beautiful. I really like that little moss covered egg basket. I remember those wax crayons in the egg coloring kits. Now they are much fancier!

salmagundi said...

I love that blue 'cookie jar'! I have the same problem with cookies around here - I have to hide them in the freezer so we don't eat them all the first day. Enjoy your trip. Sally

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I hope you are able to see Paula! Good luck! Your photos are great Sue! Were they taken with "our" camera? Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!~Hugs, Patti

Jemsmom said...

Sue, your hutch is gorgeous! I love those egg candles! Have fun in High Point and take your comfy shoes! And yes... they still put the wax crayon in the Paas kit! We used it last year!!!

Pat said...

I like your cabinet arrangement Sue. I am very excited about your High Point trip. I've always wanted to do that. Hope you get to meet Paula.

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Wow, you have a lovely blog. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.

xinex said...

Beautiful touch of spring, Sue! Love the cupboard and you have accesorized it well. My Easter decor are still in the attic....Christine

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, I love your hutch and your blue and white pieces are delightful in it. Happy Spring, ♥olive

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

What wonderful spring touches! Have fun at High Point!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good Sue!!! Love that "moss basket" and those thrifty little eggs from Target. Hope you have a wonderful trip:)

Blessings,
Linda

Carol said...

The hutch is great looking, all dressed up for Easter :) Love the Target eggs! But those blue and whites are just so pretty!
Enjoy your trip!

Susan said...

Your hutch is looking great for spring! Love the blue and white eggs!

Classic Style said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Classic Style said...

Lovely hutch, and spring accesories

Cozy Little House said...

How cute it all is! I've been trying to remember where I put a few Easter things I bought last year, but so far it hasn't come to me!
Brenda

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!
I've had so much fun catching up with you! The old photos of Mr Sullivan's family are wonderful, such great Irish history. Wes is part Irish too... his grandparents were McKinneys.
Your hutch and Easter goodies look wonderful. I love your kitchen Sue, it truly has a heartbeat!!
My DIL and one of my "adopted" daughters want to take me to the Barn Sale and we will have to go that Saturday since they will be off work that day. I'm hoping the Ohio gals are going on Saturday too. Let me know what's happening!

Big hugs, Sherry

Kathleen said...

Eggs cellent! Love your hutch!
4 hours? Nope, maybe to get a kiss from Tom Selleck, but even then??
Have fun!

Alicia said...

Your hutch looks great. I love those egg candles!

La said...

Hi Sue.

The jar is very pretty. Cookies suffer the same fate in our house.

I like the unique moss covered basket too.

Have a fun and safe trip to High Point.

Home Made Quilts By Granny said...

Your hutch is decorated so nicely I like the blue and white. Trish

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Love EVERYTHING!!! Especially the Spanish jar and those LED egg lights! You've inspired me to haul out the spring decorations!

Sharing with Sherri said...

Hey there Sue, how are you? I'm just sitting here drooling over your collection of blue and white dishes and cookie jar! I know what you mean... cookies don't last long around my house either. Were finally having some Spring like weather here, although today is a bit overcast.

Here's hoping the sunshine will be coming your way soon!
Sherri:)

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

those little eggs are so happy and sweet... i hope you are having warm weather : )

very merry vintage style said...

what a beautiful hutch--a lovely place for holiday decor! Thanks for stopping in to visit my blog!
Mary

bj said...

Love your pretty hutch and all the things on it.
I just spent an entire day moving all my olden blue and white to a different hutch, so I could put my *new/olden* dishes in the hutch in the dining room. I have 3 hutches and a bakers rack and still have to hunt for places to put dishes. I think i need an intervention. :)))

bj said...

Love your pretty hutch and all the things on it.
I just spent an entire day moving all my olden blue and white to a different hutch, so I could put my *new/olden* dishes in the hutch in the dining room. I have 3 hutches and a bakers rack and still have to hunt for places to put dishes. I think i need an intervention. :)))

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Such a lovely display! I love those egg candles too - and yep, our latest package of egg dye does have the trusty wax crayon :)

Brambleberry Cottage said...

OK, I know I was probably supposed to be looking at all the pretty Easter decorations - and I did, sort of. But it was really the gorgeous ironstone ware and china that kept my attention. ;)

Hope you're having fun at the High Point show. Thanks for linking to the party before you left.

Have a great weekend!
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Glad you shared your hutch. Fun to see what others do. That little Easter basket is cute. ~ Sarah

Mary Ellen said...

Your hutch looks great with all it's Easter Glory! I have got to get my Easter things out before it passes me by and I have not enjoyed them!

mississippi artist said...

Love black furniture and blue and white dishes! Is that basket made from a big plastic Easter egg? I just made one and featured it on my blog.The eggs are very pretty too.I am now following.