Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Springing into the Season

 

 

After seeing all those great vignettes at  furniture market last week, I knew I would have to get busy and create at least one new table display here at home this week.  My head is still spinning from all the different styles I was attracted to in the many showrooms we visited.   Am I traditional? Am I contemporary? Do I like bits and pieces of country or shabby chic?  I took a decorating test last year that labeled me as” globally eclectic.”   Hmmmm….     I like accessories from many different styles and cultures, so I guess that could be true.  But, I guess I predominantly lean towards a clean, classic look.  So, today I shopped the house and came up with a new spring display for this table in the great room. 

 

 

 

sepia table

I have a round table that is skirted in burlap and covered with a glass top.   You know, you can steam press this tablecloth over and over again and the wrinkles never seem to leave. Nature of the beast that I just have to live with it, I guess.   That and the messy laying bullion fringe…..

 

 

 

 

 

 

table2

I decided to take a traditional approach to creating this tabletop and feature something that I purchased when we were looking for new vendors in the Market Square showrooms. Many of the vendors in the back of the building were antique dealers who sold their merchandise right off their floor displays.  Do you think you’ve spotted what I bought?  

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s the turtle shell smack dab in the middle of the table. The vendor had baskets full of these small turtle shells, as well as the ginormous tortoise shells.  I liked the way she had them displayed on the wall, although the husband said he wasn’t crazy about them. He said they reminded him of our old pet sea turtle named Max. Max was our son’s pet for about ten years before we finally gave him away to someone who had an outdoor pond and a lady turtle. The pair eventually became parents to some cute little baby turtles!

 

 

 

table4

This old dictionary was found in its present state- sans covers. I don’t object to people tearing off the covers of old books- I actually like the look.  I topped the dictionary with a brass candlestick that I sprayed with oil rubbed bronze paint, a small clock that I found at a church rummage sale for a dollar, and a paperweight that I bought from my friend, Kathy, at her vintage sale last summer. 

 

 

 

 

 

turtle shell display

Kathy encased all these old buttons into the paperweight. She even left some of the attached threads.

 

 

 

 

This small woven basket, topped with shells, is about thirty years old and was bought when we moved into our very first house.

 

 

 

 

 

I set a decorative brass key on top of this small lidded basket. It, too, was a first home accessory purchase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

This tarnished silver box has made its way into many a tabletop vignette in the past couple of years.  I found it in the basement of an antique store and paid only $8.00 for it. The monogrammed pin resting on its lid was a gift from my California blogging friend, Kim last year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An old silverplate tray is the base for this cloche. I filled a silver goblet with stringy moss and topped it with speckled eggs. A newly rooted ivy plant , a pearlized shell, an old postcard of the Eiffel Tower, and a bird nested in a silver bowl add to the display.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

eggs in a goblet

 

 

 

 

 

 

pearlized shell

 

 

 

 

 

 

pearlized shell

 

 

Working on this table really put me into the mood to start making the house look light and airy.  Spring has definitely sprung -  Yesterday, it was sunny and in the mid-eighties!    But today was rainy and windy.  Typical Ohio spring weather- you never know what the day will bring!  

 

                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Don’t forget my blogging anniversary give-away!  You can go HERE to enter to win a signed copy of Paula Deen’s decorating book.

 

                                                                                                      Photobucket

 

 

 

 

                                                                                              I’m linking to the following parties this week:

 

nifty thrifty tuesdays                                           Table Top Tuesday                                 tuesday's treasures

 

 

 

 

 

 

inspiration friday button                                       th_wowuswedparty                           vintage inspiration button

 

                                                                           

The Thrifty Groove                                                                   

38 comments:

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Love your table displays...My VERY FAVORITE is the last cloched vignette! LOVE EVERY BIT of it!!! Thank you for the "HEADS UP" on the burlap bag giveaway...LOVE THOSE!!!
Hugs to you,
Donna

Pat said...

I like your vignettes Sue...including the turtle.

Olive Cooper said...

I love the bits you have in the cloche Sue and that it is on a silver tray. The tortoise shell is funky and I had to learn how to spell it! ♥O

Pam said...

I was drawn to the turtle shell right off the bat. Very different and "earthy". Goes well with your birds and eggs for a natural look.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I, honest to heavens chose the tortoise shell! :) NO idea why it made me feel so good, but it did!
Fantastic photo's...Your tabletop is just charming!

At The Picket Fence said...

What an absolutely lovely tablescape you have created Sue! I am always amazed at how you put things together and you inspire me to go "shop" around my own home and mix things up a bit. :-)
Vanessa

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

Everything looks great together! I can only imagine how long it took you to decide which pieces should go on that table.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Lovin' your pretty cloche display Sue! Happy Spring:@)

Miss Char said...

Great table Sue, I would have a hard time picking my favorite thing, the shell is so interesting and really is a great centerpiece but all the components make such a great presentation. I guess I love it all!

Carol said...

Looks beautiful, Sue, definitely has the light and airy look! Lovely treasures :)

La said...

Hi Sue.

Great eggs! I can imagine how much you enjoyed soaking up all the inspiration at the show.

Lori E said...

My husband's father apparently used to make lamps out of turtle shells many, many years ago. That was after he made turtle soup of course. Ugh.
Your settings are always elegant and have such unique pieces. Very nice.

Balisha said...

Hi Sue, I spotted that turtle shell right away. Love all the displays...especially the last one.I'm always drawn to eggs and nests. Balisha

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty! I really like the vignette in the cloche.
Enjoy your day.

All That Glitters said...

Very pretty table!!! I still do not own a cloche!

xinex said...

Very pretty vignette, Sue. I am just like you, when I see displays, I cannot wait to create my own and I like different styles too but I always tend to go back to more traditional...Christine

A Hint of Home said...

It's a good thing we all don't have the same style. It would be boring to look at the same things at everyone else's homes.
I always enjoy looking at your pretty vignettes.
Your table looks wonderful!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Sue, this is so pretty. I love every piece that you've put in your vignette and they are so beautiful together. Stunning. Thank so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Amy Kinser said...

So funny to see the turtle. I have a turtle shell sitting on top of my freezer in the garage right now that my girls found. I think she was going to paint it all different colors and use it in her room. That's what I did growing up when I found an abandoned shell. Like mother like daughter. So fun...

Love your vignette.

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

A turtle shell is something I wouldn't have thought of including in my decor...but it does look great and I always love to see the unexpected! The cloche is wonderful...love the eggs and the postcard...perfection!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Hi Sue everything looks beautiful! I LOVE the cloche display with the silver tray!! Martina

Cozy Little House said...

Oh, a lot of creativity went into this display! I've never seen anything like those shells, not in that way. It all looks so pretty!
Brenda

Magpies and Magnolias said...

My absolute favorite is the cloche at the end of the post filled with all of the things that I love!

I am so jealous. I used to go to High Point to buy for my shop. I loved all of the inspiration and eye candy!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Someone has "Spring Fever"....it felt more like summer on Sunday, didn't it? Looks like you are in the mood and changing everything up for Spring...great vignettes Sue!~Hugs, Patti

Babs said...

Would you believe I chose the turtle shell too? I love it... very Low Country style. Paula Deen has turtle shells in her foyer.
I love it and the little woven basket with shells on the top.
Beautiful cloche.
Babs

Diann said...

Hi Sue!
All of the vignettes look wonderful. I love how you brought in so many natural elements. It has a welcoming feeling and not a staged feeling.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love this whole vignette. Such great items together. Silver, moss, birds,shells and a turtle shell. What could be better. Thanks for joining WUW.

Rettabug said...

Rainy & windy is right!! Whew!

I love the eclectic combinations you create, Sue. So interesting & different! I have some serious cloche envy going on, too. Awesome!

Kathleen said...

Lordy we haven't been out of the 50's yet. No blossoms!
I am with the Mr on the turtle shells! :)
Love your collections, so unique!
I watched them try to steam a burlap cloth at Pottery Barn Outlet once. A losing battle! Plus I almost killed myself on the cord, so I almost was Mrs. Pottery Barn! :)

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

beautiful sue! you are the vignette master! ; )

very merry vintage style said...

Your display looks great I like the tablecloth as it is and all your pretty touches. I appreciate you linking up to my Share the Love Link Party!
Mary

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I love this! I love all of it! I love the wrinkled burlap cloth and the long fringe on the bottom. (As a matter of fact, I WANT that cloth!) I love the little vignette inside the cloche. These photos look like something in a beautiful decor magazine. laurie

Queenie said...

I'm so lovin' your style...your table looks gorgeous...love how you added an extra sweet touch to the tops of your pretty boxes and what fun to see what you put in your cloche...those are always such fun to re-invent with the changing of moods and seasons :)
Hope you have a nice weekend...
Big hugs,
Queenie

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Your new table display looks great. I really like the burlap table cover and the great vignette in the cloche. I'm headed to try to "copy" something similar. Tks for the inspiration.

Glad you've had some sunshine....I keep waiting for Spring here in the NW.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sue, this is stunning! In the first picture my eye immediately went to the turtle shell and I thought, I LOVE that! The cloche is gorgeous too! Love it all!

We actually had a turtle for years and years and years until he outgrew every tank we could find! We gave him away and as of last summer he was still alive and kickin'!!

Have a great weekend!

Lou Cinda

Debra@Common Ground said...

All your accessories really fit together beautifully. The glass top for the table is just perfect. Thanks for sharing and linking up for VIF! hugs Debra

decorator to the stars said...

GREAT BLOG, LUV IT :) STOP BY & SAY HI GIO

Erin said...

Love that vignette, and the turtle shell is too cool, and unusual. Great shots Sue:)