Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

“Flex”-ing our options for new furniture…

This is what the husband saw in the Flexsteel showroom at the furniture market a couple of weeks ago……..  He thinks it would be perfect for the great room.  I thought I had found exactly what I wanted last month when we visited the Smith Brothers show, but I held off on ordering what I had selected until I’d seen the fabric samples in our home.  They just came in yesterday so I’ll have to set them out in the room to see how they look in different light.

 

 

flexsteel sectional

But as far as this sectional goes, “Mr. I love leather”  thinks it would be perfect for the great room .  I really hadn’t contemplated using leather in this room again.  Our current sofa is a collage of leather and fabric, while the chair and ottoman are made up in just leather.  But after sitting and lying on this sectional,  I thought it was really, really comfortable!  Soft like buttah……. The chaise on the left is an option, and since I like stretching out, I would definitely keep it.  And I would top that humongous ottoman with a big ol’  tray.

 

 

 

sectional 2

With this cream colored neutral, I would have the option of changing up colors and prints for pillows and room accessories.  I’ve already decided that this room will have a lot of gray in it.  In fact, the chair pictured below would be a nice companion for the sectional.  

 

 

 

 

leather chair

This chair has some contemporary straight lines in it,  but I also like the traditional look of the wingback and the nail heads. It’s available as either a recliner or as a regular chair, but I wouldn’t opt for the ottoman because of space constraints. I would need to find two other chairs for the room- I didn’t have time to select anything from the showroom, so I’ll have to check out the catalog to see what would work the best. There are lots and lots of choices for fabric- in fact,  the new introductions just came into the store last week.  I saw a gorgeous gray print that would work really well for the pillows, but I’m not sure if I’d use it for the two chairs or not- I don’t like to be too limited.  The husband just laughed at me when I mentioned this.  He says I shouldn’t even bother myself with this little issue- he knows we’ll  I’ll probably want to buy new things again in three or four years! 

I’m still tossing around a lot of things in my head, so I’m nowhere near making a decision, yet. The Flexsteel rep will be dropping off the leather samples next week so I can play around with fabric choices for the chairs and pillows. And the Smith Brothers fabrics just came in to the store yesterday.  I haven’t had a chance to see what they look like in the room- we’re having  really dark and gloomy rainy weather in Ohio today.  Not good for seeing how these colors will change with the sunlight in the room.

And speaking of sun, I wish we’d GET some! I’m wondering if its ever going to be spring here.  The creek in back of us overflowed its banks overnight and this morning  the water was really flowing by quickly. Our house sits up a little higher in the yard, but in 2004, the water come up to the top of our 4 foot high picket fence. Now that was scary, since the creek is naturally about 5 feet below the fence line! 

I’ll post my Smith Brothers options soon. I’m  in the middle of a cleaning frenzy in the kitchen. Seeing all those organized kitchens at Shelia’s party recently gave me a kick in the butt to start working on the food pantry. The dish pantry looks pretty good, but all my food products are just a jumbled mess! 

See ya soon.

 

 

            Linking to Sherry’s House party on Thursday because this sofa MAY go in my house!  Smile

                                                    sherry

30 comments:

Jo said...

Why do we do this to ourselves??? I'm working on phase one of the kitchen redo We got all the cabinets in now to sand prime and paint..this gloom does not help! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

I love, love, love that chair! It is so rich looking. I have gone back to my original colors in my house which are very neutral and I love them, but stopped by a friend's house the other day and fell absoulutely in love with her new color. It is actually called linen from the Eddie Bauer(?) paint collection, but looks gray. It is so soft looking and you can put anything with it. I sholdn't say it looks gray, but it has a gray hue to it. Anyhoo, I loved it. Can't wait to see what you do.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

It looks like you'll be sitting on clouds, it looks that comfortable! Can't wait to see the reveal!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, I wish I was trying to make decisions on new furniture. How fun. Love the gray chair.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty and It looks comfortable. Looking forward to seeing what you do. I would love to be replacing my sofa and loveseat, but it won't be anytime soon.

Dawn said...

I think couches are the hardest decision. No matter how much I measure they always seem to big once they're out of the big store and in our little house. I just posted about getting rid of ours today! No more couch potatoes! LOL!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Couches are the hardest decision. This one looks very comfy. I like the light color. It has nice clean lines.

Erin said...

Love that couch and the tray is a must! And that gray chair is DIVINE!!! I love leather, and will probably have mostly leather furniture in my house from here to eternity. It is the most forgiving choice for me(and the kids, and the dogs, and the man).

Pat said...

It is a dilemma Sue but you will do a great job.

I am liking the sectional. Would be great for J's "room". But, I need to use the paisley sofa, as it has not worn out it's welcome.:-)

Blondie's Journal said...

This sectional is gorgeous, Sue...you can SEE how comfortable is!!

We still haven't figured out which couch to get yet, but I will say the IKEA one is out of the picture. Thanks for all of your great advice.

XO,
Jane

mississippi artist said...

I love that gray leather chair! It would go with a lot of different things.

A Hint of Home said...

How fun to get new furniture! i love leather if it is like buttah! Sectional are popular now.
That grey chair is a dream and I love the nail heads. I have it on one of mine in the FR.

Carol said...

It's very pretty! But I'm with you on the decisions, too many! Wow, you are busy, busy cleaning the kitchen, too!

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, the sofa does look comfortable. I want a comfortable sofa that sits high enough so that I do not feel as if I am climbing out of it. The chair is a definite keeper. ♥O

Pam said...

The sofa does look comfy! And if the chair comes with the Coke next to it you just have to buy it.

At The Picket Fence said...

Beautiful choices Sue and I could definitely imagine taking a nap on that sofa! Actually, I would be happy to take a nap on ANY sofa these days. LOL! That chair is just gorgeous too. Can't wait to see what you decide on! :-)
Vanessa

Kathy said...

We have a Flexsteel couch - since I think 1996. It is in great condition - just love it - has been slept on by my grown son, brother, son-in-law, nephew ....so on! We chose the fabric too and have been very happy ever since!
This couch you've shown is gorgeous - makes me think....
Thanks for stopping by! visiting via WUW!
KATHY

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Isn't this weather just dreadful? I can't remember a spring that took so long to get here. Flexsteel is great stuff. I have a sofa and 2 chairs in our family room. We love them and they are wearing great...but my kids are gone so that might have something to do with it! Hope you have a Happy Easter...~Ann

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Oh to have new furniture! Mine is all so very old. One couch and loveseat is about twenty years old and the small love seat and two wing chairs are 15 or more years old and all have been recovered...
The other couch is not even mine and was here already.
I love just looking...and looking! It's fun isn't it?

elizabeth said...

New furniture, how fun! Thanks for your comment on my blog...if you make the bread let me know what you think. Yes, I do have word verification, afraid not to because of getting spam comments in the past.
God bless,
Elizabeth
http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

i really like that gray chair... i love the masculine feel of it! have fun deciding sue!!!

Karen said...

Furniture shopping is one of those things that wears me out. I guess it's the decision-making. Generally my husband goes along with what I like, but sometimes I'd just like to say, "We need another recline. Can you go buy one?" Ha! Wonder what he would come home with??? lol Oh well... good luck. That leather does look real inviting.
Thanks for your visit today.
Karen
Ladybug Creek

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Sue!

Oh, you lucky, lucky girl! I have two recliners I would SO love to replace.... dang! And, you get to replace all this in a few years??? A decorating chickies dream come true. Love that new sectional and the recliner is delish.

Huggies!
Spencer

Magpies and Magnolias said...

What fun! I'm hoping to redo my family room soon and go more neutral. I think that sectional looks like the perfect place to curl up and snooze. But my favorite is the chair. So gorgeous!

Entertaining Women said...

Love the leather chair. The color is gorgeous. I'll send you the recipe for the pumpkin biscuits today. They are delicious. If you will send me a comment with your email, I'll delete it from the published comments to keep it private. Cherry Kay

Diann said...

How fun to be getting new furniture! The chair looks wonderful! I so need to tackle out pantry! But, it keeps being put on the back burner of projects around here. LOL I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!

Sharing with Sherri said...

Oh Sue! If you decide not to get that sofa it would look great in my living room!
I'm not usually big fan of leather furniture but I REALLY like the style of this sectional, especially the one button tufting on the attached? back cushions, very unique!!
If I am ever lucky enough to get a new sofa I swore I would never again get one with loose pillows on the back that constantly have to rearranged lol!

Hope you get some sunny weather for your Easter holiday! We've had less than ideal weather here, but I'm in no hurry for the summer heat to arrive so I'm going to enjoy the COOL for now!

Take care,
hugs, Sherri:)

Sherry said...

Beautiful furniture. Looking wonderful. Have a lovely Easter!
Sherry

Emily said...

hi Sue, My goodness, The sectional looks so comfy, and with the chaise, ooh la la! I would love to see your option too, and can't wait to see what you choose. Makes me want to have a huge tag sale and redecorate from the floor up. Guess I'm to old for that thought, just have to tweak everything now. Oh well, we shall enjoy watching you redecorate your family room.
Easter Blessings

~Emily
The French Hutch

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, I was never a big fan of leather sofa's until recently. We bought a leather sectional for our media/play room. Because this is the room the grandkids watch tv and play in we needed something durable and large enough for everyone. After more than two years the sofa looks brand new and it is really comfortable. I know whatever you choose will look beautiful. Thanks for joining my party.
Hugs,
Sherry