Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Sullivan Clan…

 

Some of you may recall that I used this picture as my blog banner for quite a while. It’s the family homestead in County Kerry, Ireland.

The house has been vacant for many years and is slowly “going back to the land,” as the Irish say.  It now looks like this….

 

The family has traced its history to Peter and Mary Daly Sullivan, who came over from Ireland in the mid 1800’s.  They were Mr. Sullivan’s great, great grandparents. Peter and  Mary had seven children, including Peter the second, whose son, William,  is Mr. Sullivan’s grandfather.  William was married to Edith Arnold and they had seven children, one of whom was Kenneth, who is Mr. Sullivan’s father.  The Sullivans settled in both  Illinois and Iowa, where they farmed for a living.

 

sullivan family photo 2  

Mr. Sullivan’s father, Ken, is the 12 year old boy on the far left. His brothers, Clarence and Ralph, are on on the right.  William (Mr. Sullivan’s grandfather) is seated next to his mother, Mary. He is holding two of his younger children, Louis and Dorothy.  

We knew that our son, Dan, definitely looked like a Sullivan, but we couldn’t quite figure out who! After we discovered the picture above several years ago, we decided that Dan looks very much like his great uncle Ralph, at the top right in the photo.  Everyone looks so somber in the photo, so it might be hard to imagine Dan with a glum face and no smile; but we feel he looks more like Uncle Ralph than anyone else in the family.

 

  dan           dan,graduation

 

 

 

 

sullivan family photo

This is a photo of the Mr. Sullivan’s parents and siblings in the early 1950’s. Mr. Sullivan is the baby of the family, and is being held by his mother, Helen. Seven of his eight siblings are still alive and all but one live in the Dayton area.  The family had a pet lamb, who was included in center of this family photo.

 

 

irish couple from Dawn

And this delightful Irish couple, though totally unrelated to the Sullivan clan, is dancing a fine jig in celebration of St. Paddy’s Day!  They were a gift to me last year from sweet blogging friend, Dawn.

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We’ll be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day on Wednesday with an Irish-American meal of corned beef and cabbage.  I’ll also be making some soda bread, using an old Irish recipe; and even though it isn’t traditional, I’ll be adding raisins to one of my loaves.  No green beer for us- probably just a bottle of Murphy’s red ale!  We’re celebrating on Wednesday because Mr. Sullivan has the day off.  

~Here is an Irish Blessing for all of you~

 

 

May you always walk in sunshine.

May you never want for more.

May Irish angels rest their wings right beside your door.

 

 

                                                                                                                                             Kathleen's Irish blog crawl

                                                                                                                                                     click button to link

                  I’m joining Kathleen at her St. Patrick’s Day Blog Crawl on Tuesday.  Remember that on St. Patrick’s Day, everyone is Irish!!!

                                                                                                                                                       

44 comments:

Pat said...

Happy St Patrick's Day, Sue!

I loved seeing the family photos and reading the history!

Polly said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really enjoyed reading this and seeing the pictures. It seems to be a day for "family history". It seems "technical" issues (post later) hit my home again today, so dug out a folder with some family tree history in it to sort out.
Enjoy your evening.

Debby said...

Your son does look like the Great Uncle.
Happy St. Patrick's Day. It is my son's birthday. ((((HUGS))))

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I love those old family photos! Thanks for sharing, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

A Hint of Home said...

I love old family photos and hearing their history! How special that you have these photos.
Happy St. Patty's Day!

Carol said...

Love looking at old family photo's, even if it's not my family :) Love the history. I think your son does look like the Uncle!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Jo said...

What a fun post! Love the family history and photos ~ sorry to see the homestead return to the land.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Jo

Cindy said...

Sweet post. I love family pictures and stories...thanks for sharing and Happy St. Patricks Day!
Blessings,
Cindy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day Sue! I loved seeing all the photos of Mr, Sullivan's family and ancestors. It's so wonderful he can trace his heritage back so far. I can't trace my Irish side past my Grandfather.

Enjoy your feast on Wednesday --I'll be doing the same :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Happy St. Patty's Day! Don't you love geneaology? I think it is so interesting to know where we all came from. All of our physical characteristics came from a group of people we have never seen or have only seen in old photos! Glad to be back home from Florida. Beautiful weather but I HATE the long drive back and forth! Enjoy your corned beef and cabbage...sounds good!~Hugs, Patti

Lori E said...

I love it when we make a connection to another family member like that. One of my nieces and one of my great nieces ended up in the same place at a wedding and all of a sudden when they stood beside each other we all gasped at how much they looked alike and yet we would have never thought that when they were not together.

Rettabug said...

Thanks for the Irish blessing & thanks, too, for a peek into your Irish family's roots. Mine hail from County Cork but not many records available. I'm on Ancestry.com...are you? Fun way to kill a few hours!

Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day, Sue!! We'll be eating the same meal along with you.
Hugs,
Rett

Queenie said...

Having a picture of the old homestead is something special Sue...it's beautiful...and how wonderful that you know so much about your Irish Heritage. Thanks for sharing...
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!
Big hugs,
Queenie

Queenie said...

p.s. Love those cute Irish couple figurines...I haven't had any luck finding much Irish collectibles...but I'm definately on the hunt :)

xinex said...

What a treasure to have photos of the old house and the old photographs of ancestors. I love hearing about family histories. Thanks for sharing, Sue, love the the figures too. Happy St. Patrick's day!..Christine

Willow said...

I love reading about your family. Happy St. Patricks Day.

Karen @ The Whimsical Lady said...

Hi Sue,

Happy St. Patrick's Day! We'll be celebrating with the American tradition of Corned Beef as well, lol. Wow... Your son really does look like his great uncle. Neat! I love that they had a pet lamb. LOVE it! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Karen

Miss Char said...

What a wonderful rich history your family has Sue. I think your son certainly does look like Great Uncle Ralph. Thanks so much for sharing your photos and telling us about the Sullivan's.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Great pics and it's fun to know your family history! Happy St. Patrick's Day Sue-enjoy:@)

Diann said...

How fun to have a rich heritage and to know all about it. I enjoyed reading and looking at all your photos!

GardenofDaisies said...

There sure is a family resemblance!! I can see it. The old cottage, now covered in shrubs... how many memories it must hold. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Great post and what wonderful family photos. I am sure seeing the likeness there :) Happy St Paddy's!

Blessings!
Gail

Deb S. said...

Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Happy St. Patrick's Day

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

The Sullivan's have an interesting family history and so perfect to share with us this week. I love that cottage although it is sad to see it swallowed up!

Ann said...

What great pictures and stories! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Kathleen said...

Hello dear Sue!
Great history you have there. Connolly in one side and Mullane on the other for me.
No pics though. Bil went back to his homestead a few years ago, as yours, returning to the land. He brought home a brick! Bil and sil go back every 6 months for dancing.
Thanks for joining in the blog crawl, and Happy SPD!
Kathleen

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love to know about family history. What a shame the house in Irland is going back to the land! Who owns it now? No one? I mostly love your picture where your son does look like his ancestor from the Sullivan side of the fam., as soon as saw him, I thought so too! Thank you for sharing with us. Come visit me, I'd be so happy to have you.
Have a blessed St. Patty's Day.
FABBY

Brenda Kula said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day and I love your new banner!
Brenda

Scribbler said...

So interesting to see the old home place. My mother was a Jones, her mother was a Sullivan, and they had Murphy cousins. Maybe we are related! I just published a book about my mother which contains her family tree. I am going to look back to see if there is a connection. Enjoyed the post.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! I love seeing the old home place..even as it goes back to the land. What a natural way to do things! Happy St. Paddy's Day!...hugs...Debbie

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hey Ms. Sue, It was fun to read about the Sullivan family and see the old photos. The only thing green around here is the grass....which is showing signs of Spring green...thank goodness. Can't wait to see what you do with the equestrian hat. Hope you blog about it. Happy St. Patrick's Day. xo

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Happy St. Patrick's day Sue! Love the vintage pics!

Jemsmom said...

I love family history and knowing where you come from. I think it is so important! Your son totally looks like Ralph! Wow!! Isn't that amazing! I love the picture of the old home place. You should try to get one from it recently. I wonder if you google earthed it if you could see it. What an interesting tradition of "going back to the land". My family came from County Antrim in Northern Ireland and my husband's great grandmother came from Dublin. I would love to see if we still have family there. Now that would be at trip!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!

Made In The South said...

I do remember that photo as your banner...I was so glad when I saw it tucked in the new one.
It is wonderful that you know so much family history.

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

so cool Suzanne! I love family history... especially irish!! ;) the homestead is beautiful in all its returning to the land glory.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Great photos of the clan and the your traditional meal! We do the same. Don't you wish you could rescue the family homestead? Being Irish myself, I love Irish saying. Two of my favorites are "May you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows your dead." and then there's "Irish diplomacy, the ability to tell a man to go to hell and make him look forward to taking the trip!"

Happy Belated St. Paddy's Day!

French Hen Farm said...

lovely post. thanks for sharing!
have a great weekend!
Linda

Sharing with Sherri said...

Thanks for sharing some of your family history! Very cool! I have been thinking about researching my family history lately too!

I recently caught a couple of episodes of a show (can't think of the name now!) where celebrities traced their family history... One was with Rosie O'Donell and the other was Lionel Richie... Both were really interesting!
I have some Irish blood myself and would love to visit Ireland also!!

Many Irish blessings to you too Sue!

Hugs, Sherri:)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Very interesting story, Sue. Yes, your son does look like that distant relative for sure! I'm sure you enjoyed Green day! :)

Donna

classic • casual • home said...

What a fun post! My dad is in a book "Famous Irish Californians" that my mother gave me four copies of (so they are all over the house). You have a handsome son!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I hate that the wonderful cottage is "going to the land". I remember the first time I saw that photo on your blog and just thought it was such a wonderful place. Great family photos, and yes, your son does look like his great uncle. Love your cute Irish couple. laurie

Susie Q said...

I thought of you on this most Irish of days! : ) You all have a ricj familt history and I love it when you share!
Hey! It's almost time to get out an garage/estate shop again! I saw a few estate sales listed for tomorrow!
Thunder rumbling...that pesky cold front is coming!
See you soon I hope!
Love,
Sue

Brambleberry Cottage said...

How fun that you've been able to trace back to some of the family's history for this information. And I agree, your Dan does look like Uncle Ralph. I see the resemblance. ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/