Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Love Birds and a Call for Spring

 

It’s that time of year when we are all looking forward to a change in the weather and getting out of the doldrums of winter. Spring has been a long time coming and even though our resident groundhog didn’t see his shadow, it is still cold, rainy, and dreary here in Ohio.  I have a feeling we will be experiencing a few more weeks of inclement weather; so what better way to lift my frame of mind than to start decorating some of the rooms with spring in mind?

At the advent of spring, we expect to hear birds chirping in the newly leafing trees and we can often spot their hidden nests filled with eggs up in the tree boughs. With that in mind, I thought I’d bring out my wire cloche, fill it with sweet blue birds and a nest of speckled eggs, and set it on the cedar chest in one of the guest rooms.  

 

cloche1

 

 

 

1

The cloche is made out of chippy white garden fencing tied up in  a frou-frou knot at the top. It sits upon an old mirror edged in metal.  I purchased the cloche from my friend Kathy at the Springfield Antique Extravaganza a few summers back. The two blue love birds sit in front of a nest fashioned from an old strainer filled with moss and speckled eggs.

 

bird faces

 

 

 

 

nest in a strainer

 

 

 

 

tabletop2

The vignette is simple. The cloche has been paired with a random assortment of accessories. I laid a vintage lace runner as the base for everything, then  propped a framed lithograph against the back wall of the chest. I added in Mr. Sullivan’s vintage black telephone, a stack of old books, a button bouquet, and an old hotel bell.

 

books and laaender

The room is lightly scented by a sprig of lavender tied up with string. 

 

bell

The well-worn bell still chimes loudly.  Wish someone would come when I ring!

 

vintage telephone

The husband saw this phone in one of our favorite vintage stores.  He received it as a gift from me on Father’s Day several years ago.  Think Mother Nature would take my call if she knew I was asking why she hasn’t sent us warm weather and sunshine?

 

vase

The button vase was another purchase from Kathy at her vintage sale last summer.  She fashioned the button flowers onto some wire and planted them into an old silver-plated  bud vase.

 

1

 

 

table top

                                                                                                 ~~~~~~~

It took such little effort to create an area that gave me a  sweet smile.  And even if the weather outside is not spring-like at this time, at least this one little corner of the room gives me hope that there are sunnier days ahead for us. Birds will soon be chirping, letting us know that they are feathering their nests for their new families.  The grass will come out of its dormant phase and add color to the now drab landscape.  Flowers will bud and trees will begin to leaf.  Nature comes along in her own due course and we follow along right beside her…..

Linking to:

 

 Marty’s Spring Cloche Party

Cloche Party

 

 

Vanessa and Heather’s Inspiration Friday

inspiration friday button

 

Debra’s  Vintage Inspiration Friday

vintage inspiration button

 

 

Sherry’s Home Sweet Home

charm of home

 

 

Laurie’s Favorite Things Saturday

favorite  things saturday

44 comments:

salmagundi said...

I love everything in this vignette. How clever of you to make a nest in an old strainer! Everything is full of inspiration. Thanks for sharing. Sally

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Now that is my style of cloche! I love the whole set up, Sue.

Marydon said...

The simplicity of your cloche is elegant. So love the button tree ... gorgeous vignette.

Happy St. Patrick's Day ~
Have a beautiful eve ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

CSN GIVEAWAY ENDS 3/17

A Hint of Home said...

Love your cloches and all your pretty vignettes.
The old telephone and bell are unique and look great in the black and white photo.

On Crooked Creek said...

Sue,
Thank you for your sweet comment and visit On Crooked Creek today at Marty's Cloche Party! I adore your wire cloche and was deeply intriqued with the mirrored tray. you definitely have a knack for putting together a vintage appealing vignette. I'll stop by again, soon.
Fondly,
Pat

podso said...

Always enjoy visiting your blog and glad I did today. Your little birds are sweet but the button vase is especially cool!

Pat said...

Wonderful cloche vignette Sue!!

xinex said...

Beautiful, just beautiful, Sue. I love the vinatge look of the whole vignette. Love the eggs too....Christine

Willow said...

Your display is so beautiful. Great party

Jemsmom said...

That is one of the most beautiful cloches I have seen! It is so unique and I love the expressions on those birdies! Spring is starting to make it's way here to the South. I have some green grass, my daylillies are starting to come up and I have seen a few gators sunning themselves at the pond!

Honey at 2805 said...

Oh Sue, this is so beautiful! The little love birds are so cute.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like your pretty, vintage cloche vignette (you work fast) :D. You know I love the birds and nest. I do remember using a phone like that! :-D Think if we all start calling "Mother Nature" at the same time she will bring Spring on in?:-D
Clouds did not start clearing on out til late this afternoon - hopefully sunshine tomorrow.
Enjoy your evening.

Debra@Common Ground said...

those little birdies are just the sweetest! and I love that button tree. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Pam said...

I absolutely LOVE that birdcage! So cute and unique! And those birds are so cute too. I'm so glad I stopped by. :)

Have a great day.
Pam

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sue...

My friend, I just adore your wire cloche and sweet bluebirds and nest! Nothing sings of spring better!!! Ohhh...and what a great idea...to use an old strainer for a nest! I love that idea! Well dear lady, I love your new spring vignette! Your button flowers are sooo awesome! I have never seen anything like it before! I think that your friend Kathy is a very creative and talented lady! I would love to try making a wire cloche like yours! Thank you so much for sharing all your spring pretties with us...this was such a treat!

I just read the sweet note that you left for me! Sue, you are such a dearheart...thank you for coming by!!! Your sweet note just made my day, dear friend!

Happy spring wishes!
Chari @Happy To Design

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Lovely cloche vignette! I love birds and nests and cages...

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

I have been seeing both cloches and birdcages through out blogland. I love your birdcage you made. I may try to make one of these.

Danielle

Olive Cooper said...

The wire cloche is just adorable and I want one too! I also love that phone. Lovely vignette Sue♥

Lori said...

Love the button bouquet!

Carol said...

Love the whole set up! Great picture! The phone is perfect, love it, seeing that phone makes me smile, too! And the bell. I be tapping on that whenever I passed it, LOL!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Everything looks beautiful, but I especially love that old bell and the telephone!

Sharing Shadymont said...

I love your cloche! Beautiful!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, that garden wire cage cloche is so unique. I love it. Great vignette with all the vintage goodies.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Sue! That wire cloche is my kind of quirky! You've featured some handsome things right alongside. Love the bell!

debs said...

The phone totally took me back in time. I love this vignette Sue! Cute birds and the wire cloche is AWESOME!

Lori E said...

I really like each piece on its own but together it looks like another place and time.
Spring must be coming because I planted some flowers yesterday in a planter outside.

Miss Char said...

This just made me smile, what a wonderful vignette perfect in it's quirky simple design and use of materials. Thanks for sharing it really did start my day Sue.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a gorgeous vignette! Juxtapostion at its very best.

I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hi Sweetie... been long time since I stopped by your darling spot.

I love the vingnette! The shot of the bell and books is magazine worthy.

Hope spring will be just around the corner for you.

Hugs!
Claudia

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Mother Nature did call me and she said to tell you that she is heading your way....sooner than you think :) And that fabulous cloche you showed us has given me a new idea. thank you Sue. :) Your goodie is on its way. xo

At The Picket Fence said...

Sue, you always create the most lovely vignettes and I have to tell you that your wire cloche is the most unique and charming I think I have ever seen! And it was so clever to create a nest like that. Everything is ready for those sunny days ahead and I am so glad that you linked this up to Inspiration Friday this week! :-)
Vanessa

Katherines Corner said...

I absolutely adore this vignette ! Hugs and have a happy weekend!

Kathy said...

Hello my friend!! It looks like spring is a beautiful thing in your home! The vignette is simply fabulous - simple and vintage elegant. And, so happy to see one of our cloches in a happy home.

I've been busy making "new" things for our show in April - some button bouquets, collages...and more. Can you come to Columbus???

Hope to see you soon! Happy spring!

Hugs, Kathy

Kathy said...

P.S. Love that phone!! :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Sue, I love your birdcage, so pretty with the birds and the nest. Perfect. Your vignette is stunning. Love the phone, the bell and the books. Very pretty. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, The wire cloche and little birds are so adorable! Great vignette.
Hugs,
Sherry

Sherry said...

I love that wire cloche, very cool. I love that old bell and telephone too. I had a telephone like that at my house as a child. Our phone number was in the middle just like that. The button bouquet is too cute too. Thanks for linking up!
Sherry

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Wow! the birdcage is one stunning treasure! Love the way you tied the ribbon on the vintage book.

TY for the inspiration.

Happy w/end & CP...

Greetings from chilly Stockholm,
/chie

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Your vignette is beautiful, Sue. I especially love the bundle of vintage books, the vintage bell, and the vintage phone... all fabulous.
Have a wonderful Sunday! :)
~ Jo

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Oh how fun and pretty! This is so different from most cloches...so "shabby" and yet still elegant. I love the button vase...wonderful vignette!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I think this may be my favorite of any of your vignettes. I love everything in this vignette - the cage/cloche is wonderful, and I love the mirror you have it on. The birds are so pretty, and the nest in the strainer looks great! Love the old phone, and I love the button flowers. I even loved the lavender tied on top of the books. The hotel bell is such a unique and perfect addition to this vignette. (Can you tell I like all of it?) thank you for linking your creativity to Favorite Things. laurie

Erin said...

Sue, love your cloche. I have been making cw ones and the tops of mine and yours are very similar!

Cindy said...

Adorable...and love the button flowers!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Love the wire cloche and bird nest!
I hope those phones don't become vintage or antique very soon... it seems like yesterday when we were using them!
LOL
Nice post. Thanks for the reminder that spring really will come!