Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Here’s Looking at You!

 

Life has been busy these past few weeks, but I managed to do a bit of thrifting.  With all this chilly, rainy weather we’ve been having here in Ohio, I think people are hesitant to schedule their yard sales until the weather warms up. But the estate sales have begun in earnest, since they are held inside. I hit a couple sales last week and came away with a few bargains.

 

mirrors

The larger mirror was ½ off the $8.00 sticker price and the round mirror was $1.00. Not too  shabby. They’ll both receive a little paint make-over. I’d like to dry brush the larger one in pale blue and use it in one of the guest rooms. The small round one is glaring in its present gold state. I think a quick wipe of some walnut stain should do the trick and give it a more subtle, aged look.   I will probably use it as a base for one of my cloches.

Do you see the reflection of my vintage goat cart in the mirror? It will be for sale when I hold an occasional sale at the end of May.  I’ll be selling my things at a friend’s shop in Waynesville when the village holds its yearly antique sale. If you’re interested, let me know!

 

mirror detail

Nice ribbon and bow detailing on the top and the small balls at the edge of the glass give the mirror its character.

 

hat stand

This hat stand was a purchase from a favorite vintage store up in Tipp City.  I needed it for the item you’ll see in the next photo.

 

helmet

I purchased this riding helmet from blogging friend, Lynn, at The Vintage Nest. She has some of the coolest items for sale on her website.  I’ve been wanting a helmet for some time now, so I was elated to find this one. It’s definitely a man’s helmet, based on its large size and  I like that it’s red and not one of the more commonly seen black ones.

  

riding helmet

I placed it on a shelf in the study, where it makes a colorful statement. And yes, I still need to clip the tag on its base…

 

microscope

Back in December, I hinted that I’d like an old microscope as one of my Christmas presents.  Needless to say, I didn’t get one, so when I saw this at the same store where I found the hat stand, Mr. Sullivan promptly offered to buy it for me. Only $17.00-  I’m a cheap date!  Guess he felt guilty that he didn’t buy it for me during the holidays. 

 

lumiscope

Do you remember using one of these  in biology class back in high school?  Eeewww… I can still recall that icky frog we had to dissect when I was a sophomore!  All I need is to find a glass slide to make it look like I’m back in class examining a specimen.

                                                                                   

                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                                                                  Hey, Y’all….

                                                                                                      universal_100wpaulapic

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     photo courtesy Universal Furniture

We’ll be heading to High Point for the semi-annual International Furniture Market for dealers and designers next weekend. It’s always so exciting to see the new introductions to the furniture and accessory lines we carry and to look for new vendors, too!   And you better believe I’ll be taking some nice, comfortable flat shoes to wear! My feet killed me last time. There is so much walking and there is no way I’ll be in heels this market- I plan on wearing more casual outfits to go with those flats.  We have the opportunity to meet cookbook author and Food Network star, Paula Deen, in one of the vendor showrooms. She’ll be signing her cookbook and posing for pictures with dealers. Can’t you just hear that vivacious laugh of hers right now? 

                         

                                                                                               day bed

                                                                                                                    photo courtesy Universal Furniture

  I’ve been eyeing this daybed in her line for my shabby chic guest room.  It even has drawers for storage. I can never have enough of those!  In fact, I admit that I  have waaay too much stuff!  Why do you think I’m having a sale?  Smile 

                                                                                                                          

 

 

 

                                                                                                 Joining up with Linda’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Party

                                                                                                                      

                                                                                                                              click to link

                                                                                                                   nifty thrifty tuesdays              

 

 

 

                                                                                                                         

                                                                                                            Kristin’s Tuesday’s Treasures

                                                                                                                                                                               tuesday's treasures

                                                                                                                               click to link

 

 

                                                                                                     Diann’s Thrifty Things Friday

                                                                                                      happythumb

                                                                                                                              click to link

41 comments:

Jo said...

I can't believe you are giving up your goat cart...You got some deals and I love the helmet. We need to get together when you get back - I hope I have my van back by then - can you believe its been 5 wks! I did a little thrifting this w/e as well and will post the wk Looking forward to what the next trends are - take tons of notes and photos!!

salmagundi said...

The color of that riding helmet is my favorite shade of red! I can't get enough of it. My son collects microscopes - he is a high school science teacher, and has collected some great scopes. That was a really good price on the one you found - at least, by Colorado standards. Enjoy the new week. Sally

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Oh that riding helmet is awesome, so very unique Se. Enjoy the week.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, love the red helmet. I always just see black ones. Have fun at market and say hello to Paula.

A Hint of Home said...

Hey Sue,
You got a fantastic deal on the mirrors. Great idea to use one as a Cloche base.
Sounds like fun going to Hickory.
Can you tell me more about it?
I'm not that far from there. Is it open to the public?

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

You got some wonderful buys! That helmet is perfect!

Debby said...

Love that big mirror. Looks like you did well.
Please tell Paula I said HEY. Have fun.

Carol said...

Great shopping! I love the mirror! And you turn the coolest things into such great decor, I love it!

Olive Cooper said...

The goat cart oh my goodness! I want to go to Highpoint and look at some sofas sometime soon. You have fun.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Have a great trip to Highpoint - would love to go there, but don't think my back account would enjoy the trip. :D
Looking forward to hearing about it all.
Have a great week.

Susan said...

Love your mirrors! What great finds!

Jemsmom said...

You are selling your goat cart?!? What???? What will you decorate so cute for Fall and Christmas?!? :-) I adore Paula Deen! She is a hoot! Savannah is about and hour and a half from us and we always say that we are going to do a long weekend, go there and eat at The Lady and Sons! Nothing gets you going like butter!!! Have a fun and safe trip!

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Sue! It was so great to see a new post from you pop up and of course it was filled with fabulous finds and treasures! You always get the best items and give them new life in your home. :-)
Vanessa

La said...

Great hat stand, Sue!

Have a safe trip and tell Paula I said Hi. I love her and have several of her books.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Wow, those are some great prices on those mirrors! I can't believe the prices. I was just talking to a friend of mine and we were just talking about how people around here never have bargains! Lucky you!

Lori E said...

Great finds as usual. I love the microscope and would also love an old typewriter.
Paula Dean is a character for sure. I think my arteries scream every time they hear her voice.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

You're selling your goat cart? I am surprised since you had wanted one for a long time. I love the hat on the stand...great look! I love Paula Deen! I have her decorating book on Savannah, since I LOVE Savannah and her! Have a great time at Highpoint!~Hugs, Patti

Kathleen said...

Great deal on the mirrors! I had one of those riding hats, albeit, the common one! But then I am a commoner! :)
Have fun!

xinex said...

Enjoy your trip, Sue. How exciting to get to meet Paula Deen and to be looking at furniture. Love everythign yu bought but being a Lab. tech, I love the microscope. I just bought a scientific weighing scale from Pottery Barn and I love it. It's just a decor and not really a functioning one....Christine

Janet said...

I'm thinking SusieQ would like the goat cart to replace the "one that got away" ;)

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Great finds! Love the riding helmet, I have never seen a red one and I started riding horses at an early age. I still have my helmet, but it is black. I display together with an antique cylinder hat. Cheers

Sharing with Sherri said...

Oh dear girl, I have way too much stuff too! I've also been waiting for some good weather to have a garage sale myself.
But I can't believe your going to let go of that goat cart...It sure would look cute with some Spring flowers in it!!!

Have a nice week!
hugs, Sherri:)

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

lots going on at your place today Sue...where do I start? Love the hat of course! Looks fabulous on that stand! And the bow frame....that's adorable. Using the old microscope as a display piece is so cool. Now I will be looking for one for my booth. And I wish you the best in your upcoming sale. I know you will do fantastic. And just in case anyone is reading this I don't have an etsy shop but a website. :) xoxo Lynn

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Love those mirrors...great deals you got there! Have fun at the show and Paula HELLO!

Blessings,
Linda

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I am in love with that creamy white mirror...gorgeous!
Thanks for linking up!
XO
Kristin

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I am in love with that creamy white mirror...gorgeous!
Thanks for linking up!
XO
Kristin

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I am in love with that creamy white mirror...gorgeous!
Thanks for linking up!
XO
Kristin

Karen said...

Oh my... that wonderful red riding helmet! I had to send your blog to my daugther-in-law who rides dressage (is that how you say it?). She is decorating her new home in Houston and I think she would like this idea. Absolutely wonderful post!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

I love all of your stuff. I don't know which is better though, the microscope, or the story behind it! By the way, your homestead in Ireland is beautiful. Do you dream of moving there and fixing it up? I would love to live there just for a couple years...especially because of the butter. Love the yellow butter...

Thanks for stopping by my blog by the way! I'm glad I could help with ideas on displaying your teacups! I'm your newest follower!

Emily

dogsmom said...

You have us all in shock that you are giving up your goat cart. I wished I was able to travel.
Winter is hanging on here so I am glad you let me thrift through you. Great finds.
The smaller mirror looks rusty orange on my computer and I like the color. If it is gold, not so much.

Tammy@InStitches said...

You got some really great things ! Have fun at the market, I just Paula Dean ! Thanks for your input on my bamboo barstools.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I am so envious of that hat stand! Every store I go into, I'll see one of those, and the tag always says "not for sale".

You have some really fun finds there.

Sarah, Three Boys said...

You found some amazing pieces!! I love that riding hat, gorgeous:)

Diann said...

Oh Sue, you found some awsome treasures! I love your mirrors and really LOVE the prices! your new hat is beautiful! And I really like the microscope. I think that would be such a cool find! and how exciting to go to the designer show and getting to meet Paula! Have fun! Thank you so much for joining me first TTF party!

French Hen Farm said...

love the hat and the microscope!!
thanks so much for mentioning our sale!!
looking forward to seeing you all!
cant wait for your sale!
have a great weekend!
linda

Ames said...

Popping in from Thrifty Things Friday. I love the round mirror and the microscope (I have the same memories as you do with the frog ewewah!). I also love that daybed!~Ames

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue, you always find the best things when you thrift! I love both of the mirrors. The red riding helmet is fabulous and that microscope is a fun decorative item.

Have fun at the designer show and meeting Paula Deen!

Hope it warms up a little soon. This has been such a cold spring.

Susie Q said...

Selling the goat cart???? Don't I get first crack at it?????? *smile*
You know, I almost bought that hat from Lynn! I went back 3 times and almost did it but then things came up and well..look who got it! It looks wonderful!
When are we going thrifting?? : )
I bet Jo would go too...let's all get together soon okay?
Love,
Sue

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Hi there, Sue. Thought I'd pop over for a visit, since you were so kind to stop by my way and leave a nice comment.

You scored some fabulous finds recently! Can't wait to see your mirror transformations. It's so much fun to find things on the cheap, isn't it?

By the way, I just joined you as a follower. I would love to have you join my weekly linky party. Stop by again and check it out.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Custom Comforts said...

Great finds! Love the beautiful ribbon frame and the riding helmet.
Have a fun time!
Cindy

Sarah said...

Fun finds. Thanks for sharing.