Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Computer Woes and a Solution

 

                                                                                                                          hp computer  

For two frustrating weeks, I’ve been dealing with a slow running computer.  I could connect to the internet, but websites took forever to load and things would just come to a complete standstill.  After much frustration, I finally decided that I needed to buy a new computer.  Now, my old Dell has given me eight years of good service. But then,  I took care of it by adding updates and new hardware; I regularly scanned for viruses; and I used the disk scanner and defragmenter on a regular basis. I just couldn’t fathom why I was having so many issues.  I guess, like the human body, machines just start falling apart after more than a few years, right?   So I figured I should just buy a new computer to solve all my problems. Little did I know that it wasn’t even the computer that was actually causing all of my issues. But you’ll read about that in a bit….

 

                                                                                                                       dan,graduation

On Monday night, I placed a phone call to son, Dan, for a little help. Here’s a picture of him on the day of his police academy graduation.  Kids these days know so much about computers. They start using them in grade school, so they are very familiar with them by the time they are young adults. Dan is no different. He’s taken apart his share of them and has taught me a few things. Unfortunately, he goes through information so fast and he does stuff that I can’t figure out unless he shows me all the steps.  I know he just shakes his head when I make him explain it all to me in baby steps!  Anyway,  Dan did the legwork for me and offered up some suggestions for a new purchase. I told him I’d send him my old computer to play with. 

On Tuesday night, I ventured out to Best Buy, made my purchase, and set it up the next morning.  But I couldn’t connect to anything!   AAAGGGHHHH….  I called our cable provider, Time Warner, who connected me to Roadrunner, our internet service provider.  The earliest service call was for next Monday. I wasn’t happy, but took it. But the more I got thinking about it, I thought I should talk to a tech person. So back on the phone I went, where a customer service rep reluctantly connected me to a tier 3 tech in Cincinnati.  This guy was amazing. He ran some diagnostics on his end and came to the conclusion that my outdated Time Warner modem could be part of the problem with my connectivity. I took it to the TW store to exchange it for a newer model, came back home to connect it, and couldn’t even get the thing to boot up correctly!  Now I had already spent over an hour with the tech and customer service, so I was not looking forward to another conversation with someone new, but a customer service rep at TW walked me through two set-up procedures. After 15 minutes, I had re-set my the modem and my wireless router and I finally had internet service!  Halleluiah…

This new HP computer of mine has Windows 7 loaded on it, so it is a whole new ballgame for me to have to play, after having had Windows XP on my Dell. It will take me a while to figure out the ins and outs of this new operating system.  I transferred over some files from the old computer via a flash drive and I downloaded all of the programs I’ll need, so I think I’m ready to go.  I downloaded Windows Live Writer, since I don’t like using Blogger to post,  and the download automatically recognized that I had the Windows 7 operating system. Because of the operating system,  I now have the newer version of Writer, which is so completely different from the one I had been using on XP.  Wow- I am having a heckuva time trying to figure out where everything is located!   Things are not in plain sight so I’m having to hunt for ways to access things that used to be so easy to find on the earlier version.   Writer has eliminated many of the fonts I liked to use and this post is the second I’ve written this morning because I lost the first one when Writer encountered a glitch and ate my draft.  I still have to find out where that darn “save draft” button is located!  Can you say frustrated really loud?!

So I guess I’ll be practicing for a while on Writer until I get familiar with it.  Have any of you experienced this if you’ve recently updated to the new version of Writer?  I thought new versions should have improvements to make things easier for the user…   Guess this old dog has to learn a few new tricks!

26 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Ooooh, Sue! This was my story about a month ago! I also got a new HP with Windows 7 and had trouble getting started! I spent an hour on the phone with someone in India and then finally figured it out myself! And...I HATE the new Live Writer, so I downloaded the old one back again! I just check each time they tell me I have downloads ready and uncheck it so that I'll never have to deal with it! Also...Windows 7 wouldn't work with my printer so I had to get a new one! Aaargh! And...I can't used my camera driver any more! The Windows program will work, but I don't like it as well! On top of that, Internet Explorer stopped working, so I had to download Google Chrome while it came up briefly for air! Be sure you have two browsers on your computer! I just hate being the test person for new stuff that still has bugs! Good luck!...hugs...Debbie

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

PS...In all of my rantng I forgot to say how proud you must be of your son! What handsome young man...and a policeman, too! I'm impressed! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Pam @ Frippery said...

Your son is adorable! You should be proud to have raised a son with a commitment to community service.
Our policemen do not get the respect they deserve. Of course those who show that lack of respect are the ones who would never give of themselves to help others.
I don't understand the need to change programs that have been working just fine. I can't use Live Writer because I have a Mac but I have had such frustration with "new and Improved" versions of downloads I have been using just fine until they are "upgraded". Recently I downloaded the new Firefox and it will not run at all on my Mac, so I had to uninstall Firefox completely and now I am using Safari, not my favorite. Hope things work out for you.

Pat said...

Handsome son, Sue.

I have Windows7. I downloaded the new Live Writer and it took awhile to figure it all out. In the end I like it...just takes some getting used to.

Eldest daughter is my techie with back up support from her two sisters. I usually don't do anything without calling one of them and the younger two usually refer me to eldest. I used to have a steno notebook with page after page of T's notes, just in case. That was when I bought my first computer! ;-)

Miss Char said...

I'm usually pretty adaptable at change but I can feel your pain on starting with a new computer and program. Been there done that and it's not fun! I'm glad things are at least working now and you are beginning a new adventure in finding where everything is, it can be frustrating to say the least. Best of luck and that son of yours looks like a vibrant happy young man.

Pam said...

I just got a new laptop a few weeks ago so I had to go from XP to 7 too. My husband has had 7 for a while, so he gives me tips. I've never tried Live Writer, but if you're having problems with it, I'll just stick with the Blogger screen to enter my posts. I tend to stick with something until I'm forced to make the change anyhow.

Carol said...

I'm a laptop with Windows 7 and I love it. I don't use Live Writer though, so I'm no help, I go through blogger. I also use a different photo Gallery, too! But overall, I like Windows 7! Good luck you'll get used to it before you know! Your son is handsome, what a great smile :)

Terra said...

Wow, you are navigating through a lot of computer and modem issues. It sounds like you are being successful, thanks due to your handsome son.

A Hint of Home said...

Oh Sue, I feel your pain!
A few months back I had an old Dell and chucked it for a new HP, which had windows 7 and had to learn all these new things.
I still have a couple of things I'd like to learn about the programs.
Got a new modem, too.
I just don't understand all the modern technology like the younger crowd. lol
My SIL is a policeman like your son.
We have so much in common in this post.
Hope you get it all figured out sooner than later and won't be frustrated.
Hugs!

Betsy said...

Hi Sue~!

I just did this exact same thing! Had a 10 year old Dell with XP on it and bought an HP laptop with Windows7. Don't you love it?

Thanks for visiting my blog. I've sent you an email.

Your son is a handsome young man!

xo

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I think you did very well to get 8 years from a computer. I usually kill my laptop every two years...plus, I just love getting new ones! I'm glad to see you back!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

First - Welcome back. What a handsome young man your son is - I know you are proud of him. Sorry for your computer problems - been there and don't want to have to deal with them again anytime soon. Did have to deal with the cable/internet provider today (again), so know how frustrating it can be.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue....I just went through all this the end of November..almost all the same exact problems. I have a new HP laptop Windows 7 and it does take a little time to figure it all out but all is well now. I even got all my years of geneaology figured out and back on the new computer. Just takes a little time and patience. Weather is wonderful down here in Florida! Feels like I am on another planet from what we have been through all winter up home! Good luck with your new computer!~Hugs, Patti

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, your son is handsome and I know you are incredibly proud of him. I detest these tech issues also. My Joe spent 4 hours last nite trying to set up a wireless printer to no avail. I would have driven over it after 2 hours myself...he is far more patient than I am. We used our neighbor's printer today...we are pitiful. So glad you are re-connected!!!

Jo said...

I love Windows 7! I have it where both my laptop and new desktop "talk" to ea other so I can see files on the other computer I love my laptop when I want to sit and watch tv w my hsb in the eve. He wanted a desktop so we got it and now I have taken it over..Great photo of your son

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

What a good looking young man - but I would have guessed that he would be. Computers - can't live with em; can't live without 'em. My poor son and son-in-law get frequent calls from me when they try to "walk me through" some problem. I SO dread when I have go get a new laptop! I'm still struggling with the new Live Writer, but it is getting a little easier. I agree with you - why would you change something to make it more difficult than it was to begin with? Good luck! laurie

xinex said...

Good luck, Sue! Computer problems are so frustrating. I do not use Live Writer so I cannot help you with it...Christine

xinex said...

I forgot to tell you how cute your son is!...Christine

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I get confused with techie stuff...I have Windows Vista. I usually have my hubbie help with problems, but even he gets confused...lol

Hope things start working more smoothly for you.
Hugs,
Penny

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!
Oh how I hate computer stuff! THank goodness my 2 sons are computer whizzes or I would be back in the cave living a blogless life!! LOL

Please let me know when the French Hen Party is! We're going to Miss. in May to see Marie @ Dolls my Marie Antoinette the middle or end of May. It would be so fun to see you and meet some new gals.

Hope your computer woes are over soon!! Big hugs, Sherry

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Ah Ha!! May 5th & 6th!! I just hopped over to French Hen and found the post that has the date! I'm IN!!
Perfect for me. Let me know which day. Smiling, Sherry

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sue, I do NOT like the new Live Writer at all!!! I am still struggling with it!

good luck!

Lou Cinda

Rettabug said...

Hi Sue!

First of all, please give that good looking young man of your a big hug of gratitude for his service to the community? You must be SO proud of him!

I join you in your computer woes & share your pain. I appreciate the suggestion of perhaps trying to get a newer modem from TW. I'll try that next. All my issues sound exactly like yours only my Dell desktop is just 5 yrs. old.
I have the W7 on my laptop with the new Live-Writer version. What a struggle! I keep muttering to myself that its good to stretch my mind & learn new things so I don't get Alzheimers. LOL

Yes, it was a shock to return to dark grey & wet OH after 80º. I hear we're due 6 to 10" of the four letter word for white. Ugh!! Hurry up, Spring!!

I'm off to check out all your postings that I missed while away.

Hugs,
Rett

Rettabug said...

forgot to tell you how much I ♥♥♥ your new header!!!! VERY pretty & so is all the blue in the previous post.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I hope you'll end up liking your new computer. It sounds like it's been completely frustrating.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I got one new thing which led to something else I needed which led to something else I just had to have...or so I was told. It's very frustrating. I dread it when Windows has an update for something. I don't like updates. :)