Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shelving Stuff…

 

Before I get started painting the study, I thought I’d take a few shots of the built-in bookshelves tucked into the corner of the room.   Things will stay this way until I select new furniture at furniture market in April and decide what style I want to go with in regards to accessories.  After getting rid of my sofa and tables last month, the only thing left in the room is my desk and chair.  It’s pretty bare in here, but that’s actually okay- it’s less for me to move when I finally get around to painting.

bookcase

I love to place a variety of things on my shelves. Books, mirrors, framed photographs, ceramics….  It’s pretty much a fun mish-mash of accessories on these shelves.

 

 

bookshelf

I never did get around to showing the juggling pins that I purchased back in the fall.  Do you see them tucked into the right hand corner of the shelf with the globe?

 

juggling pins

They were a yard sale find that I negotiated down to a price of $12.00.  They are the real deal, not reproductions.  The woman having the sale told me that her son had found them in the cellar when the family moved into their home over sixty years ago.  She didn’t really know what they were and had placed a $15.00 tag on them.

 

 

pins

I love the patina on them.  Banged up and worn. I wonder who would have been using them so many years ago…

 

 

 

globe

I found this old globe on the other end of the shelf at an estate sale. I’m always on the lookout for the small sized ones, but figured that this one was a bargain at $2.00.

 

 

 

book,roses

I placed a dried bouquet of roses on top of an open book placed in front of a framed picture.

 

 

dried roses

These were given to me by  Mr. Sullivan for some occasion or the other. I always tell him he doesn’t have to give me flowers, but he really likes doing it.   In fact, I received a dozen red roses this evening for Valentine’s Day.   What a guy…..

 

 

stamp

An uncirculated 5 cent stamp featuring Winston Churchill is mounted inside the frame. The quote reads:

            “A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.”

 

 

 

 

shelf

On this shelf, two little ceramic dogs stand guard over photos of two of my nieces on their wedding days. I tucked in two vintage post cards for added interest.  The wire picture holder was one of five that I bought for $3.00. Who can beat 60¢ apiece? It makes for an interesting way to showcase photos. You don’t always have to pop them in frames….

 

 

 

 

china dog

Isn’t this guy’s face just adorable?  He even has a freckle on his mouth.

 

 

dog2

Here’s the other one….

 

 

 

I found the two postcards shown below in a nearby antiques mall.  I don’t believe I paid more than $2.00 apiece for them.

 

postcard1

This postcard, sent from a father to his daughter,  is postmarked 1902 and was mailed from Marseilles to London on the day he was sailing to Port Said in Egypt.

 

 

postcard2

Another postcard, written in French, was addressed to the same address as the one above.  It appears to be written in a feminine hand.

 

 

I’ve really curbed my thrift shopping ever since I started my organizational purging in January. I’ve decided to be a lot more selective about what I will be buying. Plus, I think my tastes are changing.  You cannot imagine all the things I’ll be getting rid of at my own tag sale!   I’m  seriously even contemplating selling the goat cart that I bought  last year!                                                                  

 

                                                                                                       I’m linking this post to :

 

                                                                                      Blog-Party-000-Page-1                 Table Top Tuesday

 

                                                                                     shoppingbagpic2                 wowuswedparty   

     

                                                                                          inspiration-friday-button       fav thngs cmbnd

                                                                                                         vintage inspiration button                         Photobucket

 

                                                           Won’t you please pay them a visit on their appropriate party days?

 

                                                                                                              ~~~~~~~~

 

On another note….   

I’ve decided to use the Sherwin Williams Amazing Gray paint in this room and hope to get started on the paint job soon.  We’ll see…..

     amazing gray_thumb[10]

39 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what fun redoing a room. Hope you find the furniture you want. Love that gray for the walls and you have great accessories with meaning to you on those shelves.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I love your bookcases! I would love to have a wall of them, I think I could fill it up in an afternoon! LOL!!! Love the gray paint, it's so soothing, can't wait to see the finished product!

Mary

Custom Comforts said...

Hi Sue,
I found another blue and white plate to show you. It is a dinner plate and quite pretty. It is currently soaking in hydrogen peroxide to try and remove some of the stains. I heard this makes them look like new again, but can take up to a couple weeks to achieve the desired effect. I actually liked the old look on it myself. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but will get it and send you a pic.
Cindy

Carol said...

I love your treasures! They look perfect in the bookcase! Very pretty! Those juggling pins are neat, and old, probably a very interesting history!
Good luck with the painting, pretty color!

Lori E said...

It is nice to take the time and view the individual vignettes in a bookcase.
Little stories on every shelf. People say bookcases are so hard to decorate but I think mantles are harder.
I wish I could attend your tag sale. You have such cool stuff.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Sue, your bookcases look like mine. They alway fill up with the interesting tid bits of my life and "treasures" i find and can't live without. All tucked in with the books! Looking forward to seeing your finished room. Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Would love to have room for a built in bookcase. Like your color choice.
Have a great week.

Jena @ Involving Color said...

LOVE your shelves! Great finds! The paint color sample looks really pretty too.

At The Picket Fence said...

Sue, you have so many wonderful things and such great storage for them! I can't wait to see how the wall color ends up looking in the room and I know it will all be gorgeous!
Vanessa

A Hint of Home said...

Love the bookcases! You have so many "pretties" to fill them.
I love, love, those juggling pins.
Happy Valentine's Day!

Miss Char said...

I'm a person who loves mish mash too and also an ever changing decorating style. Birds of a feather I guess....

I can't wait to see how the new paint color changes the story of the room.

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I'm really liking the gray you choose! The power of paint is amazing. Can't wait to see all the changes!

Lisa said...

I love that grey. You have some fantastic things you're displaying. The juggling things are great. I always wonder about who used the things I find. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Lisa x

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Sue, I love your bookshelves and all the interesting things you have on them. It looks wonderful and what fun to just browse each shelf to see each object. Love the gray, it will look fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Great bookcase, Sue, and love all of your fun collections!
That paint color should look wonderful when done. Have fun redoing that room!
Hope you have a great week!
~ Jo :)

Donnie said...

I just loved learning all the little stories behind your items on your book shelves. Looking forward to how everything looks when you paint the room.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

I love your vintage accessories Sue....especially the globe. I never see old ones myself. Have fun painting. XO

Pam said...

It's fun seeing what type of things you collect. And I love your dogs. Have fun painting.

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hey GF --- its been forever since I have stopped by.

I just needed a SUE fix and as normal -- you are fabulous!

I love your goat cart :)

Yes our transition -- but we stay the same at heart. Dont sell everything ... box a few things and revisit them in a while.

BTW... one of my all time Sherwin Williams paint (we are exclusive to them LOL) is Balanced Beige ...its a lovely complement and lovely tone!

Hugs hon...have missed your style.

Claudia

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sue you have some great things on this book shelf..but will tell you I love that old typewriter in your header picture..I also have cut way back as I have no room left to store things anymore..Hope all is well with you my friend..Let me know when you get to Ca. and maybe we can meet up, or you can come by my home..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, thanks for linking this to the party.

Sue said...

Hi Sue,
What fun things you have on your shelves! My favorites are your juggling pins, and those sweet little dogs. I will be looking forward to seeing your finished room. I am horrible at picking out paint, and dread choosing a new color for my kitchen.
Thanks for stopping by!
Sue

Linda said...

So many lovely goodies...I love the pins and the dogs...great finds!

Sue said...

Hi Sue....I can't get over that you found a globe of any size let alone a large one for only $2.00...I started collecting them..like I need more crap...and I have paid as much as $20. for one that size...I think the cheapest I paid was $6.00 and I thought I was getting a bargain...

Mary Ellen said...

How's the painting coming? Glad you settled on a color- how many bags of candy did it take you to choose? :)
Can't wait to see it in it's pretty new room-

Love the juggling pins! They remind me of a story I was reading recently in a book by Cairborne I believe. He ministers in the slums of Philly and when there is a fight or gang war trying to start in the area he lives in he goes and gets his fire juggling pins and goes out begins to juggle. He said it is amazing how it settles things downs and takes the attention away from the bad that is trying to start!

bee blessed
mary

A Vintage Vine said...

The color you chose is perfect! Love all the collectables...I must come back to see it all finished!

Susan said...

Oh I love your little ceramic dogs! so precious!!

A Few Pennies said...

Please come do my shelves---what beautiful arrangements. Your displays are so pretty and I love your style!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I want to come to your tag sale! Not the goat cart, really? Your shelves look great. I love those ceramic dogs. I just love when I find vintage postcards that have something written on them. You found some good ones. Neat juggling pins. Have you tried using them?!! laurie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I really enjoyed the tour of your shelves. Such fabulous treasures. I love the ceramic dogs...so cute! Great way to showcase photos and old postcards. The juggling pins are amazing...great and unique find. Thanks for joining JFF this week! I know what you mean about being more selective in my junkin since going on my organizational quest this year. hugs, Linda

Ms. Bake-it said...

I loved the tour of your bookshelves! The juggling pins are fantastic! Oh how I wish I was close to you because I would be first in line for that goat cart! Great color choice!

~ Tracy

Debra@Common Ground said...

There are so many times when I'd just like to start fresh in a room! Love the ceramic doggies! And the gray paint will be wonderful. Thanks for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

xinex said...

Love everything you display on your bookshelves and how you display them, Sue. I do the same thing, mix them up and pretty soon, I will run out of space for books, lol....Christine

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

Great stuff!
I love the dogs!

I just read your profile - we could have some fun!!
Great blog!
And you have more follower!!!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

those pins are so cool! and i love your new header! :)

Honey at 2805 said...

You really have some amazing things and terrific finds. I like bookcases that are not always so perfect. The ones in our office at home are that way, so that things are constantly evolving.

At The Picket Fence said...

Sue, I love all of the special little touches you added to your bookshelves. I especially love the postcard the sweet little dogs!

Thank you as always for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

Heather @At The Picket Fence

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, just wanted to come by and thank you for linking to Favorite Things. I am still laughing about your box of chocolates calling your name from inside the freezer!! (and I thought my box was loud!) laurie

dogsmom said...

Thanks for this fun, interesting and inspiring look at your shelves. I love that you decorate with your own personality and not some latest trend. You give me courage to follow my own instincts and hope for something wonderful (eventually.)