Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

White Christmas With A Little Added Color….

 

The hutch in the kitchen seems to be filled with white dishes all year ‘round, but for this year’s holiday season, I added Starlight Santa plates for another touch of classic black.

 

         21

 

 

16

Sprigs of boxwood from our bushes outside add a slight touch of greenery to the shelf, while crocheted snowflake ornaments hang inside the top of the hutch. The white plates are everyday ironstone dinnerware from Gibson;  the Starlight Santas  are dessert plates purchased years ago from JC Penney; and I’m sure most everyone recognizes the perching Target birdies.

 

 

20

I’ve always been a fan of the art of scherenschnitte, or scissor cutting. I found this simple wreath at a Christmas art show when we first moved to Ohio.  It amazes me how a small pair of scissors can create such pretty and intricate artwork.  I guess you have to factor in a bit of talent, too!

 

 

10

The buffet shelf holds several serving pieces, as well as a compote filled with vintage ornaments. 

 

 

12

 

 

 

 

 

13

 

 

 

 14

Both tureens were estate sale finds, as were the pitchers, creamer, and sugar bowl.

 

 

11

The cupcake cloche holds another vintage ornament comprised of gold colored beads and faux pearls.

 

 

18

 

 

 

15

The old scale, found at an antique down the road in Lebanon, Ohio, always has a home in this little cubby.  This Christmas finds him topped with a pinecone candle. The off-white bottle brush tree next to it is adorned with silver and aqua balls. It was one of my many purchases from the French Hen Farm sale Dec. 4.

 

 

1

I set a table for two with the same plates in the hutch.  I added black bowls, red handled flatware, and a water goblet adorned with snowflakes.  The glare in the window is from all of the snow we had fall on us overnight.  Chargers look giant red and white gumdrops! Not sure where they came from, possibly Wal Mart several years ago.

 

 

22

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

4

I tucked red napkins wrapped into napkin rings given to me by a sister-in- law last year.

 

 

                   7

                                             Such pretty swirls of snowflakes on the goblet….

 

 

19

Votive holders filled with red hot candies hold taper candles from 1980’s that I just never could bear to light. I like the candy cane and holly design on them too much to see them melt away. 

 

 

5      6

                   A Christmas bear and a gingerbread man are treats for dessert.

 

 

17

                                                    The sign says it all……

 

 

               Be Merry!!!

 

                                                                                                            

                                                         

                                                            ~~~~~

Linking with Marty for her Tabletop Tuesday party, Tuesday, December, 14.

On Wednesday, December 15, I’m joining Kathleen for her Winter White  Party , Sherry for her Share the Decor Party, and Kathleen @Faded Charm for White Wednesday. 

Linda is extending her Holiday Open House, so I’ll be linking to her on Thursday, December 16.

Courtney’s and Vanessa’s parties are both on Friday, December 17.

Whew- it’s a one busy party season! Hope you’ll visit all of these hostesses and their party-goers on their respective days. 

47 comments:

JunqueMagnet said...

Love that tureen.Looks very festive!Thanks for sharing.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love that black hutch and the way you have it displayed. Great black dishes. Yes, we need to be Merry for sure!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue...I love the way your hutch is decorated for the holidays! You did a really nice job in putting all the right stuff together to make it look just right! I am going to have to take your idea with the boxwood since I have a ton of it just sitting(ok, growing) outside my house! I never thought about using that for greenery indoors! Hope you are staying safe and warm indoors today! I am going to venture out to the mailbox later but that is it!~ xoxo, Patti

Susie Q said...

Love that hutch in any season but it sure does pop at Christmas time! LOVE the Be merry napkin rings and that Santa is sure pretty. You do have a gift for arranging and makin' things purty Suey!
Love,
Sue

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So pretty and festive. I also have a couple of candles that I never lit - to pretty. :D

Debbie said...

Hi Sue...I am pretty Merry so far. Even Merrier after seeing your pretty hutch and dishes, those a really cute. I would want to have that hutch decorated a little longer for the season, it looks great!

A Hint of Home said...

Love those Santa plates and those chargers are gorgeous. Did you say where you got them???
Beautiful hutch!

Debby said...

I love those Santa plates, they look hand painted.
Also so many pretty touches to all that you posted. Hope your season is MERRY.

Pat said...

This is just so beautiful, Sue. I love the addition of the Christmas plates and the paper cutting piece is fabulous.

Dishesdone said...

First thing I thought of was Kathleen's Winter White Party! Your dishes are beautiful, and the Hutch! Love the Christmas dishes! Very festive!

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! I just love seeing your hutch in all of it's winter white glory with those lovely touches of color here and there. I have always wanted a hutch like that...hmmm...maybe something to watch for in the New Year! :-)
I also love how you folded and tucked the napkins in the napkin rings. Just perfect!
Vanessa

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Classic, beautiful and still fun. Very nice!

xinex said...

Oh Sue, I love how you decorated your hutch. I love your plates and all the little touches and I love your table setting. Everything is so pretty. My store is doing so well. I am approaching my 4th month of being open and I have been topping the sales among all the vendors there and it makes me happy especially because I am not even there except when I bring more stuff and I rearrange, which I also enjoy immensely. It also gives me an excuse to go shopping and I go shopping there too, lol. Thanks for asking. Be merry!..Christine

Olive Cooper said...

Love the black hutch and the white china really pops in it. I have a similar tree to your bottle brush one I bought this weekend. The parties are making me dizzy:@)

Designs on 47th Street said...

So many great ideas on ways to incorporate "our" white dishes with Christmas. I also have a small black hutch. Everything looks wonderfully festive, Sue.

Donna

Sharing with Sherri said...

Sue, your white Ironstone looks great against your black hutch
(love the plates and tureen!). All your added touches of red in the Santa plates and adorable Santa on on the reindeer look so cute and festive too!!

Hugs from "Merry" Sherri;)

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...

Sue, your hutch looks so beautiful all decked out for Christmas! Your Santa plates are perfect! Thanks for stopping by today. Tile on my foyer table is heavy so I think it is made of plaster. It's painted on both sides, so I can't really tell. I found it at HomeGoods a few years ago.

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Looking beautiful Sue, love the little pops of color!

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

Your sideboard is stunning, just stunning! I love every detail.

we three dogs and me said...

Love your hutch and Santa plates. Very beautiful

Brenda Kula said...

Those goblets sure are pretty! Well, everything certainly is!
Brenda

classic casual home said...

Darling Santa plates. I am following you now! Thank you.
Mary Ann

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Everything looks spectacular! Your Santa plates are adorable and reminded me that I have some Santa plates still in the basement...maybe next year.(-: I am very taken with your cupcake cloche, now that I know what they are called maybe I can find one. Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a nice comment. Incidently, I built the shelf in the window myself. I am very proud of it. Merry Christmas!

On Crooked Creek said...

Sue,
Thanks for stopping by On Crooked Creek today with your kind comments. I love the white plates against the black hutch and again the black plates against the white ones! Your Estate Sale finds are precious! A great compliment to your our serveware, as well! Your Santa and reindeer and mine are very similar. Please stop by again soon.
Fondly,
Pat

Mimi said...

Your gorgeous hutch looks very festive!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Wonderful white touches everywhere! I love those folksy Santa plates and your hutch is beautiful!

Luncheons at the Junction said...

Those Santa plates are just the cutest thing! Adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Marsha said...

Beautiful setting and I love the black and red with the white - gorgeous.

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Black, white and red...so classic and beautiful! I LOVE your hutch and that scherenschnitte piece is gorgeous...I have always been in awe of those with such talent :)

CHRISTmas Blessings!
Gail

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Very pretty! Cute whimsical Santa plates!

Katherine

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, Thank you for sharing your gorgeous hutch and decorations at my party. The white and black plates are stunning together. Everything is beautiful!
Have a very happy holiday.
hugs,
Sherry

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Simply divine! I love your style! Can't believe I'm just now finding your blog since we follow some of the same people. It's my lucky day. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back! Can't wait to browse around some more!
Merry Christmas!
Tammy

Rachel said...

Love it Sue!! :) Did you get your package from me? Hugs, Rachel

*French Farmhouse 425*

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, your hutch looks beautiful. I love those Santa plates, and oh, that bottle brush tree is wonderful! Your table setting is so festive. What great chargers! I'm wondering if I could paint some chargers to look that way (of course, it will have to be for next Christmas - too late this year). That Santa on a reindeer is beautiful, and I also really like that stemware. So much festive fun at your house! laurie

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sue, your hutch looks fantastic! I love the snowflakes and your little 'schnitte picture:@) The dishes are so cute, and your goblets are very pretty-enjoy:@)

Kathleen said...

Party hearty, gal!
I love your hutch , the snowflakes add such a sweet touch! Looks like you are beautifully decked out for the season!
Thanks so much for joining the party, dear Sue!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Your hutch looks beautiful. I love those black Santa plates. Don't know why I have not been a follower but I just signed up.
Hugs,
Penny

Brown Shoe said...

The picture of the Irish hillside on your blog is breathtaking, warm and inviting; as is your beautiful home. Thsnk you for inviting us~ Blessings!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful!!

Lou Cinda :)

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hey Sue! It all looks so wonderful. Sure wish I could see it in person. Those utensils caught my attention in the red and black. How fun is that? All of you table setters just amaze me..... so much so that I purchased some white and silver plates from the dollar store the other day thinking I may just join in on the tablescapes soon...maybe. :) I wished we lived closer so we could "treasure hunt" together. I just know we would have a blast! Have the merriest of holidays Sue! xoxo Lynn

Jo said...

I wish I had your displaying talents! I love the black and red - fun but classy!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love it, Sue! Your hutch looks so festive! My favorite...that tureen! Merry Christmas!...hugs...Debbie

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Everything is so pretty! I love the dishes, very festive :)
Thanks so much for your visit today!
Merry Christmas!
XO
Kristin

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

I love this post so much I'm back for another look. It's funny that we overlook and see more/different the second time around. Did you crochet the snowflakes. They are beautiful hanging in your hutch.

Vanessa said...

Whoops! Just realized that THIS was the post you linked up to my party! I got so taken into the beauty in the other post that I lost my place! LOL!
Vanessa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Your hutch looks gorgeous all decked out for Christmas! I love all the touches- the snowflakes and the bottlebrush tree are so cute and I love those plates too- I think I have a cookie jar just like those! Your hutch itself is beautiful as well- thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday and Merry Christmas!

Entertaining Women said...

Quiet, serene, beautiful. A vignette that would be so nice to live with throughout the holiday season. I think that I'm noting a trend...there are so many of us who never light our favorite candles...LOL. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay