Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Simpler Time…

 

I hope that everyone enjoyed a beautiful Christmas celebration!  It was rather uneventful in our empty nest household. We spent Christmas Eve with my sister-in-law and her family and on Christmas day we stayed indoors and watched a marathon of holiday movies on the tube. 

After yesterday, I am so glad that I record my favorite movies and television shows on the DVR. I have come to the conclusion that I HATE commercials! Shows start out with about 10-15 minutes of uninterrupted viewing, then BAM- you are inundated with three to five minutes of commercials! Then you begin a cycle of 5-7 minutes of the show, then the commercials again…. 

An hour long time slot is filled with only about 40 minutes of the show and 20 minutes of commercial time.  I think I could quote every line of dialog in many of those commercials after yesterday!  Well, maybe not all of them…. but good grief- it sure did get old listening to the same sales pitches all day long! 

 

goat cart tree

Okay, on to showing you a little more of my Christmas decor.  I bought my goat cart back in the fall and knew it should be decorated for the holidays. I didn’t quite make the cut on the fancy decor- in fact, I just stuck one of my small trees in it and called it a day!  I decorated a miniature tree with animal ornaments.  It’s mostly a folksy type of tree, hung with an assortment of ornaments dating back to a simple country tree back from the eighties.

 

 

goat cart tree

I “planted” the tree in a clay pot, nestled it in the cart, and surrounded it in a bed of burlap. One of the garlands is made up of wooden “light  bulbs” strung on jute cording. They are replicas of the large old-timey bulbs that I remember from the trees of my childhood.  I also used some colorful wooden beads to fill in the gaps.

 

 

old time lights

 

 

 

bird

A little tin bird and birdhouse.

 

 

lamb

Wooden woolie.

 

 

mouse

This mouse in a mitten ornament was made out of salt dough, painted, and given a coat or two of polyurethane.

 

 

                           mrs santa bunny

                                   Mr. and Mrs. Bunny Santa Claus

santa bunny

 

 

pig

Oink  oink….

 

 

angel

The only non-animal related ornament on the tree is this handmade angel. She has graced one or another of my trees for over 20 years.

 

 

candles

The tree is folksy, homey, and perfect for the French country-inspired kitchen.  I may just leave this tree up longer than the rest of them. It’s small and unobtrusive and it makes me smile when I see it, because there are so many “first-tree” ornaments on it. It was a simpler time back then- I didn’t do themed trees and was satisfied with sparse ornamentation and lighting.  Although this little tree was strung with white lights, I didn’t even plug them in. Instead I hung battery operated  grunge candles that flickered with warm golden light.

 

 

goat cart tree1

                                                                  ~~~~~

                                      

                                                              Linking to:

                                          

                                       

                                          Show Off Your Cottage Monday

                                                     

 

 

 

 

                                                         Table Top Tuesday

                                           Table Top Tuesday

28 comments:

Debby said...

If you want to experience a crazy Christmas come this way. I like the simple ones and the wild ones.
Love the goat cart. Reminds me of my antique wagon.
Happy
New Year.

Jo said...

We too stayed in - had a pj day and watched movies. So different from the holidays of when the kids were little....love the goat cart

La said...

Our Christmas was anything but quiet. Poor Bosco was all out of sorts because of all the activity. Today, I don't feel like doing anything, but I know that I need to get busy.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Hi Sue! Had an early dinner with my family then spent the rest of the day lounging watching Scrooged! Lovin' your animal tree! As of a trip to Macy's this morning I've officially started a miniature kitchen tree, picked up mini cupcake ornaments! One can never have enough ornaments:@)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....We had a very quiet Christmas Eve..did some prep work for the next day but mostly watched holiday movies. We did eat at Wendy's since I did not feel like cooking and then looked at a few neighborhood lights. Yesterday the house was filled with family and lots of noise and laughing. Today is a sit in pj's late kind of day..watch the snow flurries outside and just rest. In fact C is napping again! Enjoy your Sunday! ~ Hugs, Patti

Bella Michelle said...

Your Christmas sounds much like our Christmas Eve. We didn't even venture out for church. I hope you had a wonderful celebration and all you decor. is just lovely!!!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Hi Sue...I love all your ornaments, they are super cute. Oh and I hate commercials too, love our DVR though, it is wonderful. We chilled and did the same.

Kathy said...

I love your tree in the little goat cart! I could just spend hours browsing your decorations and hearing stories of your ornaments -so lovely.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

It was pretty quiet around my place also. Our celebration is next weekend due to other schedules, etc.
I did the country tree in the 80's also and the kids would string popcorn to add to the tree. One of my daughters now has the country ornaments.
Just looked up and we are getting snow flurries again. Check my post today about Wednesday's high. :-D
Have a great week.
Glenda

Olive Cooper said...

It is fabulous in the little cart Sue!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

You must know I love *simple* :-) This little tree is so sweet. I love the homemade ornaments.
Your photos are always so pretty!
Blessings,
Marcia

Brown Shoe said...

Ooop! Here you are! :) Our Christmas was quiet as well. Glad you had a great Christmas - minus the commercials.....Commercials!!Bah Humbug!!!

classic • casual • home said...

SO CUTE... I am reading your blog and watching "The Sound of Music"...it is a good life!
Mary Ann

Kathy said...

Hello! Love your little tree in the goat cart! It is wonderful as it is! I am fascinated by your adorable ornaments! They're amazing!
Kathy

classic • casual • home said...

I will check into the "no reply blogger" email problem...someone else said that. My email address is madamepickett@msn.com...but I will get back to you if I can't figure it out. Thanks!
Mary Ann

Lori E said...

Ethel you know how I love your design style and the little cart is no exception. Just perfect for leaving it up a little longer.
I have a small tree like that on my desk at work.
More and more people seem to be enjoying quiet Christmases. Peaceful. Joyful.

Carol said...

Sue,
Love your decorations! The little tree is a treasure.
If you are looking for canisters with a seal, check out
http//www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/food-containers-storage/jars-with-lids/f3079#reviews
They are beautiful and have seals and are economical,too. I've seen these in person and they are just as pictured.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue!
Your little tree is so sweet. I have many folk like ornamanrts like yours that I also love.

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and that 2011 will be full of good health and happiness!

Hugs, Pat

Kathleen said...

Perfect for the goat cart! Love the simpler look. Part of Christmas is memories of the ones gone by, and the ornaments bring back such memories.
Glad you had a good Christmas.
The wind is howling and the snow blowing all over, but they say up to 40 by the weekend, so it should melt. I don't like it when it hangs around, dirty and icy!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Your tree is beautiful! I know what you mean about the commercials. It is frustrating to try and watch movies on t.v. I do enjoy TCM where there are no interruptions.

Have a wonderful new year!

Kathy

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You might be the only person I know of who has a pig on her tree. In a goat cart. It's darling! I love the wooden light bulbs! Those are what I remember on our tree when I was growing up, too. They got so hot!

Happy New Year, Sue!

Pat said...

I agree about tv. We just do not understand the shows offered. Then there those awful commercials that come blaring out of the speakers!

I love that little tree in the cart Sue!
Happy New Year!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

There's that wonderful goat cart again! I adore that thing, and it looks great with the little tree surrounded by burlap. Love the garland that looks like those lights on our childhood trees. You have some really great ornaments on this tree Sue. This post just made me even more jealous of your goat cart. laurie

Liz said...

Okay! I'm seriously coveting the little goat cart. :) That is just the cutest little thing. Your little tree is perfect in there. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

~Liz


P.S. I'm your newest follower.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

May your New Year be filled with many Blessings and abundances of Joy for 2011. From my mountain to yours, Until next year
Hugs and Smiles Gl♥ria

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! I love this little animal tree...so cute! I hope your Christmas was wonderful! Happy New Year to you and your family!...hugs...Debbie

xinex said...

I love the tree, very rustic looking and I love how you stuck it on the cart. Looks so natural. Happy New Year, Sue!...Christine

Renee said...

I love your tree in the goat cart. Love so many of the ornaments.