Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

One More Day…

 

Uh huh- just one more day of 2010 and one more day of  dealing with one of my many bad habits. You know what I mean!  I can’t possibly be the only one out there with big plans to begin a New Year’s diet and try to lose some weight, can I?  I have a plan for 2011.  I’m gonna start slow and attempt to get off some of the “middle age spread” that has taken over my body.  And if I begin with the attitude that “Rome wasn’t built in one day,” then perhaps I won’t be discouraged if I fall by the wayside and resort to my old ways. I bet more than a few of you know are familiar with the following imagined scenario -

 

                                                                                                 food_pyramid

 

You start the first day of your diet with a big bang! You select all the right things for your meals and snacks from the classifications on the food pyramid. You drink the recommended eight+ glasses of water. You work out to that 30 Day Shred DVD that you bought yourself in anticipation of your resolution and promise yourself you’re going to do it faithfully every morning before you start off the day. 

 

 

                                                                                        30 day shred

 

And you do it all the right way….   For about a week.

 

                                                                                                        caramel-pecans

Then you find yourself in the throes of hunger and tell yourself that just one teenie tiny piece of an Esther Price caramel pecan couldn’t possibly hurt.  You’ve been good for several days in a row. You DESERVE a treat!  So you pop that piece of chocolate candy into your mouth and savor it slowly.  But you can’t just stop at one. You have another, and another, and before you know it- half the box that cost you $15 is gone! 

 

               turkey               carrots         apple                                                                                                   

So when lunch time rolls around and you’re feeling really guilty for having eaten all that chocolate, you sit down to a healthy turkey sandwich on skinny bread, an apple, and a serving of carrots and broccoli.  

But because all that food didn’t quite fill you up,  you add in a couple handfuls of potato chips and wash everything down with an ice cold can of Coke. 

 

                                                  chips                                                   coke

 

In an attempt to make up for that nasty fall from grace at lunchtime, you work out that night with another dose of Jillian and her Biggest Loser trainer mentality. You’re so sore when you finish the routine that your legs wobble as you walk up the stairs to bed. You dose yourself with a couple of ibuprofen and a nice warm rub of Ben-Gay and you smell so medicinal that the husband leaves the room.  Heck- even YOU are having trouble with the fumes.

                                                                                                                    bengay-ultra-strenght-patch

You finally fall asleep, exhausted from lack of food and the pain of aching muscles.  But you wake up early the next morning and start your new routine all over again!

 

                                                                                                                            Woman-Exercising-285390

 

How do I know what has been happening in this little scenario? 

Don’t laugh…  It’s not imagined! I started my resolution a week early. I’m so sore that it hurts to bend over to put on my socks; my stomach rumbles because it’s empty; and I’m floating to the bathroom all the darn time.   

                                                                                                                               But I’m starting slow….

 

                                                                          

 

                                                                                       Happy New Year

                to all my blogging friends!

                                                                                            

                                                                                          and may you have good luck with all YOUR resolutions……

                                                                          

                                                                                                                                                     

35 comments:

Pat said...

And never forget portion size.;-)

Happy New Year, Sue!

Jo said...

I started to exercise and slowly chg my eating habits back to being healthy again. My dtr let me borrow her wii fit and it actually is fun I agree w/ you to start off slow and easy and not to do it all at once I also started the book the Happiness Project soooo we'll see..

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

So true. I have lost so much weight throughout my life that I should just be a puff of air! I do need to lose the middle age spread that is more than just in the middle. I just need to get my butt up from this computer and move more!! Happy New Year my friend and good luck!!

Suesan said...

I love your post, Sue. I'm sorry you're sore, though. My friend who is studying exercise science assures me that it takes 12 weeks to really be able to see progress. TWELVE WEEKS! That sure does seem like a long time to an instant gratification girl like me.

Keep with it. I'm starting a whole process of change and diet/exercise is just one part of it.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

What can I say Sue....been there....done that. On more than one occasion. I really overdid it over the holidays..now I am trying to wean my self away from all the "junk". The 11 lbs I lost over the summer I am afraid may have reappeared just in the last 2 weeks. I made the trip to Walmart to pick all my Lean Cuisine and most of the "junk" has been given away or thrown away. I even got out for a walk today! Time will tell if we can keep at it! Good luck and Happy New Year! Hugs, Patti

Blondie's Journal said...

I am just like Patti. I took off some weight and once the holidays came I thought I would cheat 'just a little'. Ha ha!

Back to the old treadmill...

Wishing you all the best in 2011!

XO,
Jane

Kathleen said...

I am off to a good start! I have had the stomach virus for 3 days. Today's the first day I had food, a piece of toast!
I also took a quiz offered by "Martha". It was to predict whether you will keep your resolution.
I failed, but I was honest!!
Happy 2011! Good health, and chocolate if it is dark is ok, right??

The Tablescaper said...

It's on my list, but looking back, interestingly it wasn't on last year list. It wasn't that I didn't want to lose weight this past year, but I was just being realistic. So, maybe it will work this year? One can hope!

- The Tablescaper

Glenda/MidSouth said...

If I ate what is recommended on the food pyramid, I would be as big as the broad side of a barn door!!
Seriously - I can not eat that many servings of each category.
I try to balance it all out in portion control.
Have a healthy, prosperous, Happy New Year!
Glenda

Jemsmom said...

Now that is funny! I will send you my 30 Day Shred that my hubby got me last year and it still has the wrapping on it!!! I recently lost 10 lbs., but I think the holidays found it! I am back on it though as I am going to look darn good when we go to Ireland in June! Did I tell you we were going? I can't wait! I got the Wii Fitness. We will see how it goes!!!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Oh, that made me laugh! I've done the exact same scenario more times than I'll ever admit. It sounds like you're doing it smart, though. Every time I hear of someone else doing that crazy 500 calorie a day diet with the hcg injections, I just cringe.

Happy New Year, Sue!

Lori E said...

The only thing in my life that resembles that pyramid is the shape of my body.

classic • casual • home said...

I AM thinking about getting rid of all the sweets in the house...but give me until Sunday. And I got some cute work out pants on sale today.
Happy New Year. WE ARE going to be BUFF. (maybe)
Mary Ann

La said...

I'm right there with ya, Sue. I went to WW on Tuesday and had gained 5.4 pounds over the Christmas holiday! I keep telling myself, "Slow and steady wins the race."

I hope you and Murph have a wonderful 2011. La

Brenda Kula said...

Amen to the portion sizes! Yep, I've lost some weight this year. Not as much as I'd hoped. But I try not to beat myself up over it. Doesn't do any good, and makes me crave chocolate. So I'll just say I'm going to try to eat healthfully and sometimes just give in to the chocolate. So Happy New Year to you and yours, my friend!
Brenda

Cori said...

Sue:

Yep....can relate to ALL of it. So glad to end this year counting you as one of my blog friends.

the best in 2011,

Cori

Lori said...

I'm a new follower! Found you from Southern In My Heart Inspiration Friday party.
I love your post about dieting! I do the same thing every new year.
What city are you in? I'm in Lewis Center, OH - suburb just north of Columbus.
I'd love for you to visit my blog www.thriftydecormom.blogspot.com and enter the CSN $35 giveaway!
Happy New Year!

Lori : )
Thrifty Decor Mom

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I'm right there with you! LOL!!! Looking forward to spending more time "visiting" with you in 2011! Happy New Year!!!

Manuela@TPOH said...

That 30 Day Shred DVD is hard! I just sold mine on Amazon :)

Good luck with your goal and Happy New Year!

Manuela

Vanessa said...

Sue, this cracked me up! Sounds eerily familiar and definitely reminds me to keep plugging away at it even when I have those slip ups. The only down side of blogging is that I can't do it while I'm on the treadmill! :-) Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday!
Happy New Year my friend,
Vanessa

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

You talking to me? Directly? Personally, or am I just paranoid? LOL!!~ I am starting too, I am doing a weight loss challenge with 8 girls, and we are each kicking in 50 bucks! We have three months, and whomever loses the most BMI is the winner. Ought to be fun! Happy New Year SUE and keep on trucking!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Halarious post, Sue... lol!! Good luck with all of your resolutions, my friend! Happy New Year!!
Hugs,
Jo :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh gosh that's funny Sue!
You really hit the nail on the head with this post!
But kudos to you for going for it!
Happy New Year,
Cindy

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas! said...

So I read up until "caramel" and just saw blurry letters after that. hehehe I may have to just go and make some now.

Seriously, though...I've always had lots of success with trimming some weight with a combo of drinking more water and Jillian's 6 week dvd.

Good luck :)

Happy New Year to you!

~Sarah

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

I've made that resolution so many times, I finally don't make it anymore. I'm afraid I've given up. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Good luck! I know you can do it (just wish I knew I could do it!) Happy New Year Sue! laurie

Erin@likegrandmas said...

HAHAHAHA! I love this post, this is soooo me! I mean to a T, the chocolate, the chips and the ice cold coke!!! I am sticking with the same motto about Rome...one step at a time, I am actually looking forward to starvation, it's a sign that I am on the right track, lol...Funny enough, I told the man that I would ask you about your favorite Japanese restaurant, see, you were the focus of our conversation the other day(I like you,therefore I talk about you), and it involved food, and here you are talking about some of my faves, so it all goes around doesn't it? Missed ya by the way!(Can you tell by the novel I just wrote???)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sue, I am right there with you girl! Started mine today! I wonder how many times I have gained and lost the SAME 15 pounds! I never learn!!! Change the eating habits Lou Cinda!!!! I am trying...Steve is doing it with me, so maybe that will make it a little easier! I hate dieting!!

Got NO metabolism at all!!

Good luck to US!!

Lou Cinda

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, shoot! I need to be there too. :) I have an exercise bike sitting right behind my chair and it's gathering dust.
I'm right where you are with the Christmasing. I've been taking stuff down and now I've got a complete mess! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marydon said...

Boy! did you ever nail me right on the head with this share ... how ever could one throw out a fabulous piece of See's.

Pop by for our CSN GIVEAWAY.
Have a beautiful New Year
TTFN ~
Marydon

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Sue, What a cute post. How are you doing with all of this by now. For me it is getting organzied. I try the first of every year, but somehow I just go back to my old habits. :( But it's a new year and we have a fresh start. My success to exercise is to go to a class with friends. They are my accountablity partners and call if I don't show up! I have purchased Julian's DVD for snowy days but haven't used it yet. I bet it's a killer, huh? Hope all is well with you.
Donna

classic • casual • home said...

Bravo to you, Sue!!! Seriously. I threw out the chocolate tart and lemon bars yesterday. Been working out. Need to replenish the fridge with healthy things.
Good luck!
Mary Ann

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Sue! i am laughing at this post...so familiar! I am going to do the old Weight Watchers...the one with portions, not points...and try Zumba! "Going to" is the operative phrase here! lol...Right after I eat this Kit Kat I fished out of my grandson's Halloween stash and check my daughter's fridge for smoked Gruyere! Yep...that's my plan! Maybe I'd better not babysit for a while! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

xinex said...

Food is just so good, Sue. Hard to resist but I lost weight when my mom was here, stress and worries, I think. GL on your resolution and hope 2011 has been good so far...Christine

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue you made me laugh so much reading this post! I have all the same issues with food and exercise. I really want to do it this year and lose weight so I'm looking into weight watchers. So many people I know had success with it. Good luck to us all!

Happy and healthy 2011!

Ann said...

Oh yeah...back to normal and hopefully better habits and things...and bidding away excess pounds and clutter.