Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Claus and Effect…

 

Didn’t want to forget the Santa Claus figurines displayed in the kitchen hallway.

 

shelf

This shelf hangs on the wall in the narrow entrance to the kitchen. It’s difficult to shoot head-on~ thus the bad angle and lighting.  But it gives you a little perspective as to where these Santa figures reside during the holidays.

 

 

 

1 

This grouping is comprised of hanging ornaments. I started collecting the dated Santa’s about 20 years ago. They depict what the general public perceived Santa to look like during a specific time period.  You can see the popular perception of Santa Claus in the ornament dated 1899, while a more rustic looking old man is seen in the year 1894.

 

 

 

hinged santa

This handcrafted wooden Santa is hinged and is usually perched so that his feet dangle, but this shelf has a lip and he just wouldn’t stay put. 

 

 

 

santa 1

 

 

santa and balls

Nestled in a bowl of glass balls, this Santa ornament can also be hung on a tree branch by the crook of his cap.

 

 

mrs claus

I’ve never been a very crafty person, so I was amazed at myself when I made Mrs. Claus so long ago. It was my first attempt at any type of needlecraft, but I thought she and her hubby, shown below, came out pretty good.  I’ve never done another remotely similar project, since!

 

mr claus

 

 

 

 

2

The antique finish and painting on this gourd Santa is so textural.

 

 

 

santa and pack

Sad-eyed Santa.

 

 

 

vintage santas

More dated Santa figures.

 

 

 

bust

 

 

 

 

 

fluting santa

A left-handed flute-playing Santa.

 

 

 

 

workout santa

Gotta stay in shape to lift that heavy pack of toys…

 

 

 

 

irish santa

 

A two-fisted, beer-carrying Irish Santa.

 

irish santa2

 

                                                                                                        ~~~~~

 

      Wishing all of you a Very Merry Christmas!

 

                                 ~Sue

24 comments:

Angela said...

These are so charming and full of nostalgia for yesteryear. I love them and I love what they represent. I have a Santa collection too, but they are just cobbled together from various thrift stores, yard sales and post-season sales. I wish they had as much charm as your guys(and gals). Merry Christmas.

Pam said...

Sue, I have some of those dated Santas! I have no idea where I got them, but I think I have three of them. Very cute display!

Jo said...

I love Santa's! When we moved to this house I decided to have the formal parlor Santa's room. So we started collecting, it is a mazing how many different styles there are As always a great display I wish I had you eye for it...Have a wonderful Christmas with your family

La said...

Hi Sue!

You have a wonderful Santa collection. I especially like the wooden Santa.

Check out City Home Country Home. Each year her father gives her and her siblings a hand carved Santa. You will love them!

http://cityhomecountryhome.blogspot.com/

Have a fabulous day! La

Kathleen said...

I love your title, claus and effect. Because Claus comes, we get gifts, LOL
What a wonderful collection you have, the gourd is amazing as is your handiwork!
Many blessings to you and yours in 2011 dear friend, and a very Merry Christmas!
A big hug all the way from NY to OHIO!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Lovin' your Santas Sue! Your needlework is just beautiful and the gourd is great! Merry Christmas and Cheers (for the last Santa:@)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! I love your Santa collection...especially that fabulous gourd! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family filled with peace, love and joy!...hugs...Debbie

Lori E said...

How to choose a favorite???? Weight lifter...no....flute player... hmmm...I like the the tall yellow fellow with the stars, hearts and dots on his coat. Yup he is my favorite.

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful collection, Sue!! Where have you been hiding these?! I like them all together on your shelf.

My favorite...maybe the 1894 guy...he has a really fierce looking face for jolly old Santa!!

XO,
Jane

Miss Char said...

What a great collection, I love the diversity of all the different santas. Thanks so much Sue for sharing your Santas!

BTW, did you send me an email last week? I got a notification but there wasn't anything there when I opened it.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Merry Christmas Sue Sweetie...
What a gorgeous share today. I do love this one.

I think my favorites are the textured gourd and the weight lifting Santa. Just precious, but then they are all. Isn't it fun to look back and see what we have bought and accumulated over the years, and think about each addition? I love it.

Thank you so much for sharing with me today. I have so enjoyed my visit. I look forward to a beautiful year of blogging in 2011.

Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Very nice arrangement of your Santas! I really like them on that black shelf! I have a collection of Santas from around the world but I have not displayed them in a few years. I hope you and Murph have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year! ~Hugs, Patti

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great collection - thanks for sharing it with us. I collected Santas years ago, but ended up getting of almost all of them - think I only have a couple left.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Sharing with Sherri said...

My goodness Sue you have Santa's in every shape and form!!
So fun collecting isn't it?!!

Thanks for coming by and for the very sweet message you left. Thanks back to you as well for being such a good blogging friend too!

Warmest wishes to you for the Christmas holiday and New Year!!
Hugs, Sherri:)

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

What a collection you have Sue! I have to say the beer drinking Irish Santa is my favorite, they are all so cute! You have a very Merry happy Christmas and fun Healthy New Year! Debbie xxx000

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Wow! What a collection! And I love your handiwork on Mr. & Mrs. Claus!

Amy

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! What a wonderful collection of Santies you have! I loved seeing them and I wish you a very blessed and merry Christmas.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jane said...

I have a Santa collection too so I was drooling over all of your Santa's.
Have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!
Jane

Kathy said...

Your santa collection rocks!
Love the one lifting weights...that's what we'll all be doing come January!
Love to you and yours this wonderful season,
Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Jemsmom said...

Oh my heart just went pitter patter when I saw all your Santas! I adore them! I spotted your Santa smoking man there! Did you see my collection of Santa smokers? You will have to check it out! I also have regular smokers. I will share those another time! I am going to have to find me a beer chugging Irish Santa! I love it!

Merry Christmas to you and yours! May you have a blessed holiday season!

Balisha said...

Hi Sue,
That hinged santa looks very familiar to me. I made some exactly like him years ago. I think that you have a talent with the needle. Your Santa and the Mrs. are beautiful. Maybe you should pick up the needle again. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...Love, Balisha

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

What a great collection! They're all so festive, and I really like what you've done on top of your fridge. I have to confess, I've never thought of decorating for Christmas on top of the fridge. :)

Merry Christmas, Sue!

French Hen Farm said...

what a great collection! thanks for sharing! Wishing you a very merry christmas!!
linda

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

You know I love all of your Santas. Great collection! laurie