Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas in the Entryway

 

stairway

In keeping with my mantra to make my holiday decorating much simpler this year, I didn’t adorn the banister with garland. Instead, I hung a thick, bright green moss wreath over the small buffet in the foyer. 

Sun constantly streams through the second-story window in the mornings, filling the entry with an overabundance of light. It really makes the color of the mossy green wreath stand out.

 

 

 

wreath2

 

 

 

fat wreath

The brown velvet ribbon is pure simplicity.  The big puffy wreath was purchased at the French Hen Farm sale a few weeks ago.  I just HAD to have it, so I asked Linda’s husband to find me one while I waited in the checkout line!

 

 

console3

The brown and gold tree is in the same place it was last year, and once again, I created a small greenery tray with mercury glass ornaments and faux, wet snow. A small collection of of neutral colored angels adds to the tabletop.

 

 

 

 

faux snow

Doesn’t this snow look real? It glimmers and shines just like the real thing! And I sure know the real thing- I just came in from doing the driveway for the second time today.

 

 

snow2

 

 

 

angel1

This praying angel is new, but she looks old, with her distressed paint finish.  I used the same three ornament balls that I used in the dining room last year as vases for some boxwood sprigs. The glass balls are simply hot-glued onto small mirrors and topped off with some of the glimmering “snow.”

 

 

 

angels

Three young angels grace this side of the table. I used the bisque babies in my cloches last year. The girl angel was another purchase from the French Hen Farm sale.  I love the sweet innocence of all of them.

 

 

baby angel1

 

 

baby angel2

 

 

 

chippy angel

I love her facial expression and don’t even mind her chippiness.

 

 

 

 

 

buffet3

The burlap stockings were a gift from Rachel @ French Farmhouse 425.  I recently won her give-away and these were part of the many goodies I received. I love how they fit in so well with the natural theme of the entryway.  If you’d like to see what else she sent me, visit here.  I’ll be setting out the rest of my treasures from her soon. Thanks, Rachel. ♥

 

 

 

 

brown&gold tree

The tree shimmers with various shades of brown and gold and is filled with feathers, ribbons, glittery ornaments, and shiny florals. 

 

 

 

bird ornament

This giant sized glass ornament is one of two favorites on this tree.

 

 

glittery ornaments

 

 

 

 

pinecone ornament

This is the other of my favorites….

 

 

 

 

tree topper

The feather tree topper looks a little like a head dress and I think it makes a wonderful background for the glass bird topper.

 

 

 

topper

Love his golden crown and beak.

 

 

 

 

white&gold santa

Santa looks very regal at the base of the tree, dressed in his gold and white robes . 

 

 

The house looks pretty festive these days…. finally!!   I think I’ll be leaving up the decorations longer than usual, since they went up so late. Why shouldn’t we enjoy them into the month of January? The weather will be drab and cold, so they’ll help keep our disposition cheery!   Hope all of you are enjoying the season, as well.

                                                                                              

 

                                                    Christmas Hugs to all my blogging friends,

                                                                              

                                                                       Linking to

                                                                

 
 
 
 

                                                    Laurie’s Favorite Things party on Saturday

                                                                   fav thngs cmbnd

                                                                         

                                                          The Tablescaper’s Seasonal Sundays

   

                                                                           Copy of Christmas Seasonal Sunday

 

                                                                     

                                                                       Kim’s Before and After party

                                                                                                                    

 

 

 

                                                                                                          Debra’s Vintage Inspiration Friday

                                                                                                                     common  ground xmas

41 comments:

The Tablescaper said...

Love, love, love that moss wreath. I think I have to check out her web site. And how exactly do you pull off the wet snow?

- The Tablescaper

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Very pretty Sue! It's nice that you have that big foyer to really make a holiday statement when you first walk in your house! I love the chippy girl angel and I still need to write down that recipe for the faux snow. Baking cookies today for my cookie exchange tomorrow! Have a great weekend!~Hugs, Patti

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, your foyer decorations are superb! I love the vignette and the wet snow does look real.Such pretty angels and of course we love the chippiness. Your tree is perfect and love the wreath. I think I am going simpler next year. We'll see. Love the stockings you won. Enjoy your weekend!

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Your Christmas decorations are beautiful. I love the browns and greens....
Penny

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sue Sweetie...
I love,love your decorations, but that moss green wreath with that velvet bow, in the morning light just takes my breath away. Love it. How natural it looks.

Love your angels and the crackly appearance on the one. She is so pretty and looks so old.

Your stockings made of burlap really pull everything all together. Looks so festive.

I have to tell you Sue, this year my tree is full of browns, golds, and rusts and copper as well. I used pheasant feathers also, and pinecones, but I also added eucalyptus in mine. Love the natural look and yours looks so gorgeous next to the stairway. Just beautiful sweet friend.

I love the decorations, but the bird topper is so pretty and unusual. Love the unusual ones most of all.

Thank you for sharing with me this morning. I have so enjoyed my visit. Have a gorgeous Friday sweetie.

Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Lori E said...

I am on the same wave length this year. K I S S is my motto. Keep it simple sweetheart.
Looking good at your house Ethel. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.
Big hugs, Lucy

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, your entry is gorgeous. I love that pretty moss covered wreath and I would never have thought of hanging one on the staircase. I love that. Your tree is gorgeous and I love your pretty ornaments. The cabinet is beautiful and I love how your decked it out too.
Everything is so lovely - just like everything else you do.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Love that moss wreath, love, love, love the feathers!!! Love that tree. Come to think of it, I usually love everything that I see over here. It is all beautiful.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

It is ALL so gorgeous Sue! I LOVE the moss wreath with the brown velvet ribbon! So classy! And the Santa and angels! LOVE'EM!

I am thinking about leaving my decorations up longer this year too...I am still tweaking and adding magnolia leaves!

Merry Christmas!

Lou Cinda

A Hint of Home said...

Your foyer is beautiful and inviting.
The snow is the neatest thing. Looks so real.
Love the idea of the ornaments on the mirrors.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
That moss wreath looks outstanding...I so love it! I also love this beautiful tree. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Blessings,
Linda

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

Beautiful, I love your wreath.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Everything is so pretty!!!! Really like the wreath - the brown velvet bow is perfect. You did a great job decorating.
I did not decorate my banister again this year. As a matter of fact, I gave the garland I used the last time to my daughter. :)
Enjoy your weekend.

Debby said...

Your home looks so nice. I hope things are going well for you. Have a Mery Christmas.

Dishesdone said...

I love your tree and decor, it's all so beautiful! Very cool snow! What is it?

Debra@Common Ground said...

Love the browns and golds you have used on your tree. Those were what I felt most comfortable with this year. That moss wreath is just so understated elegance. love it! Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! Oh, you are so incredibly talented! This is so gorgeous right down to the faux wet snow. Where did you find that? I absolutely love your tree and those giant ornaments are beautiful. I love the idea of doing the moss wreath wrapped in ribbon instead of garland. It actually stands out more than garland probably would. The tones are so warm in the entire space and I'm sure everyone who walks through your door feels very welcomed!
Thank you so much for linking this up to the party and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, my friend! :-)
Vanessa

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Very beautiful Sue! Love all of it, so simple, but elegantly beautiful!!

Miss Char said...

I love the moss wreath with the brown ribbon. Your home looks beautiful and so warm and ready to greet the season and your guests. Thanks so much for sharing.

Miss Char said...

I love the moss wreath with the brown ribbon. Your home looks beautiful and so warm and ready to greet the season and your guests. Thanks so much for sharing.

Brenda Kula said...

I told my husband maybe we should leave the trees up all year, since we have so little storage space. But he didn't like that idea! I love that tree! And the ornaments on the mirrors is fantastic!
Brenda

Kathy said...

Beautiful sue...
Love the fake snow...how cool is that!...
Lovin the angels and your tree is wonderful, very classy.
Merriest christmas,
Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Susie Q said...

Very purty sweet friend...I love the way you do up a house ya know.
That fake snow is the best isn't it! Of course, our Henry thinks it looks good enough to eat! *laugh*
I know you say it is more simple but you still decorate rings around old me!! You put just the right amount of magic in everthing you touch!
Love,
Sue

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I LOVE your green wreath and the feathered tree topper!

I asked my husband to start saving me the tail feathers when he goes pheasant hunting. He handed me a bag last time and silly me, I looked inside. Yes, there were tail feathers, but he also saved me the head, because that's the prettiest part!

Rachel said...

Love how the stockings I sent you look in your beautiful home!! :) Hugs~Rachel

Angela said...

Your home is lovely! I especially like the wreath on the stairs!
Have a Merry Christmas!
~Angela

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Sue, I love the golds and browns on your tree...fabulous! The wreath and pretty angel are also favorites. Beautiful!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Sherry

lvroftiques said...

Oh everything looks so beautiful! The brown with the pop of green is perfect! And I absolutely love your pheasant feather tree topper! And of course the angels.
Oh and don't feel bad about not finding that cupid. I've had that dome for years and never noticed it! Glenda glances for 20 seconds and finds it.....not fair *winks* Vanna

bj said...

Everything looks so so pretty...and I intend to leave my decorations out longer, well into Jan., because I scaled waaay back on all of it this year and am SO enjoying it more.
hugs, bj

xinex said...

Oh Sue! I love all your Christmas accessories. I love the moss garland, so unique and that snow sure looks real, the kind that I like, it's not cold, lol. Love the angels too, actually there's nothing in this post that I do not like. Merry Christmas to you and your family!....Christine

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hi My sweet Sue!

Its been too long since I have been by and reading the last 4 post -- per you usual self -- STUNNING is the normal.

Always an inspiration -- I just wanted to stop by to to wish my dear friend a happy Christmas!

Your guests will be welcomed by all the love you put in the touches to greet them!

See you next year! :)

Hugs hon
claudia

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I hope you will enjoy your gorgeous decorations as long as you want. After all, it is twelve days of Christmas isn't and ends Jan. 6. I am in awe...it's so beautiful. I'll trade you my bottle brush wreath for your green moss one. :) Have the best Christmas ever Sue! xoxo

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Oh yeah....where do you get the wet snow? Didn't you have that last year? :)

Marlis said...

Love the wreath! and the "chippy" young girl.. beautiful decorating.. Merry Christmas

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sue, your home is beautiful and inviting! Lovin' your brown and gold tree (and the great bird topper), I'd leave it up and enjoy it longer too:@)

Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Sue! Love your giant bird ornament and all the natural elements. Your snow is amazing! Everything looks so thought out and beautiful! I hope you have just a wonderful holiday! Jacqueline

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, this is so gorgeous! Loving that bright green moss wreath with the beautiful brown velvet ribbon, and that little girl angel is sooo precious - she would have had to have come home with me too if I'd see her. Your tree is just elegant, and that bird and the feather topper looks beautiful. Of course, I also heart your pretty Santa. What a beautiful entry to your home at Christmas time. Thank you for linking this gorgeous decor to Favorite Things. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas. laurie

Pam said...

The feather tree topper is drop dead gorgeous. I like that color combination on the tree. Very pretty and elegant!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Sorry it's taken me a while to get over here for a visit, Sue... my computer has been running so slow lately due to all the rain we're getting.
I've had a chance to browse through all of your Christmas posts... everything looks so lovely, Sue! I love your collection of angels and the faux "wet snow" looks sooo realistic. I've never heard of that... how fun!
Have a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year, my friend!
xoxo,
Jo :)

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

I love the moss wreath...all you decor is lovely! Absolutely beautiful. Merry Christmas:)

Renee said...

I love everything you did in the foyer. How pretty.