Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Perfect Small Town Shop

 

This small vintage shop in Tipp City went unnoticed by me for the longest time because it’s not located on the main street of town, where most of the other stores are located. I discovered it early this summer, during the town’s antique and artisan show and have found vintage treasures each and every time that I have shopped there.  During that first visit, I met Jean, who finds and displays many of the shop’s unique treasures.  While chatting,  I mentioned that I was from Dayton.  To my surprise she said,  “I know you- you’re Sullivan and Murphy.”  That gave me quite a surprise- I guess people actually DO look at blog profile pictures! 

 

 

sign

Located in an old brick building that once housed the town’s opera house, Past Perfect is a small shop filled with vintage items ranging from small silver items to large industrial pieces.  When we visited the store last Friday, Jean was hard at work, gearing up for the town’s Shopkeeper’s Open House  over the weekend.

 

 

flower frogs

Jean placed snowflake ornaments from the dollar store into vintage flower frogs. These would make a  great statement when grouped together on a silver or wooden tray, don’t you think?

 

 

baubles

Old Shiny Brite ornaments were piled on a bed of packing material in this rusty old metal container. It was sitting on an old camp stool, which is what really caught my attention. I bought the stool for the paltry sum of a dollar!

 

 

camp stool

The canvas is really dirty and stained, but I have the perfect old feedsack to use as a new seat cover.

 

 

 

cloche 

I liked Jean’s idea of  placing a vintage ornament onto shredded paper nestled into an old bed spring.  I have an idea for something similar if I can only find the springs I bought from her during the summer. Does anybody else buy things then put them away, never to find them until months after you need them~ or am I the only one who do this?  FYI~ I bought another spring just in case I don’t find any of the ones I put away.  

 

 

sled

Mr. S  spotted this small Western Clipper sled when we entered the shop. He’s been on the lookout for one since last year; and this one was quite reasonably priced, compared to what most antique booths want for them.  It will be used in a vignette outside the front door. My plan is to find a pair of old ice skates to hang on it. 

 

 

 

clock faces

I have no idea what this piece of industrial metal actually is- I think it looks a bit like a roof vent.  Jean hung old clock parts off of it. 

 

 

 

dog

Look at the face on this sweet doggie!

 

 

 

cage

This wooden cage would look fabulous filled with wrapped packages and baubles for Christmas.

 

 

 

coffee bag chair

The chair seat was covered with an old coffee bean sack.  I am getting forgetful- I thought I’d put a sack onto my purchase pile, but I came home without one. 

 

 

 

metal cart

The store was filled with quite a few industrial fixtures and spritzer bottles.  

 

 

industrial lighting

The industrial caged light look is very popular these days.

 

 

 

vintage hats

Need a fedora?

 

 

 microscope drawing

I wasn’t happy with the blurriness of the microscope in this photo, so I played with it in Photoscape to create a watercolor pencil effect.  I was very surprised that the microscope didn’t come home with us~  Mr. S kept picking it up.  It would  look pretty cool displayed on one of the shelves in the entertainment center.  Are you reading this, Mr. S?

 ~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed this little tour of Past Perfect. If you’re ever in the Tipp City area, the shop is located at the corner of Main and Second Streets – on the Second St. side.  I’m sure you’ll find a cool thing or two if you visit. 

~~~~~

Linking to:

 

 vintage inspiration button

 

 

 

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
junkinfinds

44 comments:

Jo said...

We need to set a date for a shopping trip! I'm ready when you are :)

Jo

Polly said...

I've missed that store on our Tipp City trips! Looks like a place that should be on my list next time!!

Twice as Nice said...

Purchase things and then forget where you put them? ALL.THE.TIME. I am known for this. At Christmas time especially. When my kids were small, I would hide purchases all over the house, think I had them all together when it was time to wrap only to find more months after Christmas. We once forgot about my daughter sleeping bag until we came across it in the basement months after Christmas. I'll put things in a "special" place for later only to forget where I put it...yes, I do this too!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what a cute shop. I love places like that. I always am putting stuff away and not remembering where it is. Such great ideas for Christmas decorating.

Blondie's Journal said...

This is a great shop! It sounds like you had a ball. So many neat ideas and you have some wonderful suggestions! What a creative mind you have!

XO,
Jane

Olive Cooper said...

Love the clock/vent mobile. What a great store Sue and thanks for sharing it.

Pam said...

I'll have to Mapquest Tipp City now! The store looks gorgeous. I see skates at the thrift stores all the time. They always have a few pairs of them (both black and white) in the sporting goods section. I paid a couple dollars for mine.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like a fun place to shop - Thanks for sharing your trip there.
Have a great week.

Jane said...

What a wonderful shop! So many great ideas. I have my husband's childhood sled that looks similar to the one you found. I'm going to use it indoors for a display. I found a really old pair of ice skates last week (the kind you wear with your shoes). They are very rusty but I think that will just add to the look.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Jane

Miss Char said...

I love that bed spring idea too, I'll have to be on the lookout for one. I'm currently trying to get my "stuff" back in an orderly manner where I can find what I'm looking for easily because right now I can't find anything. Thanks so much for sharing Tipp City with us.

Dishesdone said...

What a fantastic shop! You have such great idea's! I wish I could think so creatively! Love the idea of the sled with the skates!

Jo said...

I love that store! It is such a fun place and a hidden treasure! I'm going to have to go up there and look at the clock faces, yes you should've picked up the microscope...and I too pick up things I have to search for...but when I come across them its like Christmas!

Lori E said...

Wow you are really famous now. How cool is that.
Remember us when you get your own TV show okay. We knew ye when.
Lots of very interesting things in this store. Their design style is different for sure.

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

What wonderful eye candy. I love browsing and you never know what treasures come along. The dog is adorable.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

My kind of store! You got an incredible deal on the camp stool.

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Ooo...great treasures. I actually have an old sled and my old skates, we put them out every winter!

bj said...

Are you kidding...? I so buy things, hide them, forget where, find them months, sometimes, years later..:)

What a fun shop to play in. And I am really diggin' your olden camp stool. Oh, I know how cute it is gonna be and now..I WANT ONE. :(

Oh and don't cha know that ending my post (or most of my posts) with food has become my trademark. heh heh heh

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Sue, thank you for the tour, I will have to make my way that way. I am learning alot about our great state through you, so thanks!

Sheri said...

I really enjoyed the shopping trip - i would have come home with my car full. Especially with those seltzer bottles at the end. I have the perfect place for those beauties.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

What a fun shop! I could spend hours and thousands of dollars in that shop!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Sue, It looks like lots of us got a laugh over your question if we buy things and forget about them! Oh yes! What fun to tour this great shop with you. Wish I could come along. I think it's so neat the owner recognized you from your great blog! ;)

Donna

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What an awesome store! I would have a wonderful time shopping there. The camp stool is so cool! I would have snapped that up in a minute! Love the other finds also. Oh yes, I do buy things and then wonder where they are, that is when I remember them! Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday!

Patti's Artful Design said...

Such a beautiful shop to wander in! I love that bed spring, too, encased in a lovely glass dome!

Sue said...

Hi Sue..great shopping trip...yo didn't mention my favorite thing...how the shop keeper spelled out words to describe what she was selling by using Scrabble pieces....like the "bark" infront of the dog figure...so cute...And now I can kick myself for not buying the sled I saw at the flea market last weekend...it was $35. and all decked out for Christmas complete with old white ice skates....something tells me next month they will all be gone...she had about 4 or 5 of them....oh well, you snooze and you lose....

Vicki said...

What a great shop! I am always buying things, putting them away then forget I have them! Isn't that terrible? I'm ready to put out my old sleigh. I'm on the lookout for skates for it too. I'm a follower now. Take care!

Betsy said...

I love it all. I could get lost in here for days! Is that a typo? Did you really get all those ornaments and that fabulous rusty container for $1.00?
Yes, I bring things home, put them away for another day and sometimes don't discover them again until it's time to clean out the cabinets and drawers. I should have an official junk inventory software program.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I am constantly finding things I forgot I even bought! I just did that today with a painting. I blame mine all on menopause. lol
This looks like a great shop with lots of treasures.
Hugs, Sherry

Debbie said...

Hi Sue....this looks like such an awesome place. I love the fedora hat!

Vintagesouthernlife said...

This is my kind of shop! The sled will look so nice displayed with ice skates.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Sue,
Love all your junking inspirations!! Those glass ornaments in the bin look just beautiful and your stool for $1.00 is such a steal!!! Love it!! I wanted to let you know where you can find those artichokes you asked about in my silver trees post- I found a package of three of them together at Ross- they actually hold little tea light candles too~ gotta love Ross!!! Do you have Ross over your way? Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! Wow! You are a celebrity being recognized like that! :-) I loved seeing those gorgeous items in that store and think that camp stool was an incredible deal! I totally would have snatched up that sled too. Thanks so much for joining the party again this week! :-)
Vanessa

Miss Sandy said...

That spindly little tree next to the industrial lighting caught my eye, love its sparsity, would look lovely with all those shabby vintage brights on it. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for the shop tour.

trash talk said...

I now know what to do with all my rusty springs. Thanks for the inspiration.
Debbie

Kathleen said...

You always find the neatest things.
I saved my son's old sleds. I use them to decorate too. And then if the gkids ever get here in the snow, they can use them! :)
Happy Tgiving to you and yours, God bless!

Uptown Antiques said...

I'm always buying things and forgetting where I put them. I saw your post on French Hen Farm's blog and thought I'd pop over and have a peek.... fun place!! Thanks for sharing the places yous shop. I'm always looking for new places to find wonderful treasures!

Pat said...

This is definitely my kind of shop!!

We have one of those old sleds. Gabi stayed over a couple of days with us last winter. We had snow when she was here, so she wanted to sleigh riding. Having no new fangled sled here, she got to ride that old sled, with Molly running along side and rolling in the snow when Gabi rolled in the snow. Fun!

Carol said...

What a delightful trip. So many treasures!
I surely wish I had some of those old bedsprings.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

What a wonderful place Sue. I love the exterior and the interior. Such a beautiful stone building. Her displays are so inspirational, and I can't wait to see how you interpret them. How fun to be recognized because of your blog! You're famous! Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. I hope you and your family have a fabulous Thanksgiving. laurie

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

What a fun place to visit Sue! The sled is fun and I'm lovin' the ornament on the bed spring-too cute:@)

Rita E said...

What a great deal on the stool! And love the ornament on the spring ... very creative. The sled reminds me of an old-fashioned winter holiday ... love it too. Came by way of Thrifty Thursday ... thanks for sharing.

Debra@Common Ground said...

OH WOW, I Love all of this. what a great store this is. the shiny Brites... it's all wonderful!
Thanks so much for linking up with VIF,
hugs,
Debra

vintagesusie & wings said...

What a gorgeous little town friend!! Thanks for sharing, I'm visiting from Common Ground & I love your blog!
Smiles,
Susie

French Hen Farm said...

If you can wait until next weekend, I have a slew of sleds already made up with skates and pine ready to go on your porch!! My daughter and I made them up a few weekends ago.
I cant wait to see you and meet all your blogger friends! How fun! Wish I could leave and go to lunch with you all!!
Happy Thanksgiving!
XO
Linda

Susan said...

I really love the old sled!! Brings me back to my childhood.