Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Mantel

 

 I don’t know about the rest of you, but this holiday season, I have just been scrambling to get things done around the house. I’ve had boxes and bins of Christmas decorations sitting all over the floor and on tables in several rooms for days. I just can’t seem to get organized! And no, you will NOT see a picture of THAT…

I start one project, move on to another, take a break to read some favorite blogs, then attempt to get started again. Yikes- who would think that it would take so long to accessorize a  simple mantel and fireplace?!  By the time I finished up late this afternoon, the sun had fallen and the great room was dark.  And  by the time I took photos, it was really late. Just look at the time on my giant leather clock! 

11

The clock has been the focal point on the mantel for some time, now. It was originally a cocktail table. What~ you say?  This three-foot in diameter clock face sat on a metal base with a piece of heavy glass covering it. But it came damaged in transit. Rather than sending out a replacement piece of glass, the vendor sent out an entirely new table instead. That left me with one heck of a new clock!

 

 

7

Here is a shot of the mantel and the hearth. I kept it very simple, using draped garland filled with silver magnolia leaves, clear beading, and sparkly silver ornaments. The lighted garland is artificial and was purchased at Lowe’s. It has very natural looking branches, as you can see in the close-up picture below; but for even more realism, I added in some real pine cuttings.

6

The magnolia leaves were sent to me from friends in Florida. Originally I had planned on  keeping the leaves supple and preserving  their beautiful green color by putting them in a glycerin solution.  But time got away from me before I could shop for the glycerin and they got hard and dry. Not wanting to let them go to waste, I spray painted them metallic silver.  They ended up being perfect as filler for the garland.

 

 

 

5

I draped the beaded garland into several loops and then added some glittery ornaments.

 

 

4

 

 

 

4

I kept the two urns that I’ve had on either side of the mantel and just filled in with some silver pieces. On this side of the clock, I used three mercury glass candlesticks and a little silver bowl.

 

 

 

4

The urn is filled with a mound of  pretty, green moss .

 

 

 

3

All I did was nestle a glass prism ornament onto some reindeer moss in this bowl.

 

 

 

2

 

 

 

 

3

On the other side of the clock, I elevated a reindeer on a couple of books wrapped in white paper and placed a ribbed silver box beside it.

 

 

 

6

I think this box shows character with the tarnish in between the ribs.  Or do you think that I’ve just rationalized that so I don’t have to scrub it with a teenie-tiny toothbrush and some silver polish?

 

 

 

 

12 

This wooden reindeer originally had a dark stain, but I used a matte finish silver spray paint to liven him up a little.

8

The rough texture of  the stone hearth needed some softening, so I used these three candlesticks to hold succulents sitting on a bed of pine straw. I really like the contemporary feel this brings to the fireplace- it’s such a fun and different use of a candlestick.

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

8

I wanted a white poinsettia - no traditional colors in this room for me this year.  The lighting makes it look a bit yellow, but it is indeed white.  Not wanting to see the foil wrapped pot, I placed it into a wooden box.

 

 

2

 

 

2

 

 

 

a

 

mosaic2

~~~~~

Updated for Roeshel’s  linky party on November 10, 2011

                                                                                                                                                      The DIY Show Off

                                                                                                                                                           Visit Roeshel  by clicking on the button


 

                 

french hen farm

 

Don’t forget the French Hen Farm barn sale on Saturday, Dec. 4th 2010!!   We Ohio bloggers are getting together for some shopping and lunch, and we’d love to meet you if you can make the trip. Contact me for more info.

Linda should have oodles of goodies perfect for Christmas gift-giving and for yourself. 

Hope to see you!

~~~~~

Linking to Layla’s Christmas Mantel Party  

The Lettered Cottage

 

and

 

Marty’s Tabletop Tuesday

Table Top Tuesday

56 comments:

Dishesdone said...

Everything is just beautiful! I love box as is!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Looks great Sue. Love the silver and green together. Not good daylight here for pictures with all this rain today and tomorrow. Can't wait to see more of your decorations.

Olive Cooper said...

Hi Sue, I could have easily echo that first paragraph. It has taken me three days to work on the tree and I am not finished yet. Your mantle looks terrific. I love the classic simplicity of the urns and the silver and white. I have an entire yard of magnolia leaves and never used them so thanks bunches now I will spray them silver. ♥O

Jo said...

Love the simple Christmas beauty. The magnolia leaves are a perfect touch.

I'm feeling the same this season. I have a feeling the big day is going to arrive before I'm ready.

Jo

Susan said...

Hi! Sue, Your mantle is perfect!! I love all the silver touches. I would have never thought about spray painting magnolia leaves!! I will try that next year in my new house.

Jane said...

Beautiful mantel! Simple, elegant, gorgeous!!
Jane

Jo said...

It looks great! I prefer the tarnish in the ribs myself. I like the non traditional look you have this year! I'm not putting much out lower than chest high this yr so it didn't take much time

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very pretty-lovin' the silver:@)

Pam said...

Your mantel is so beautiful! I like the magnolia leaves and your mercury glass. And wow, I am with you on it taking forever to decorate! I haven't even remotely gotten to my tree yet and my living room looks like a Christmas tornado went through it.

Debby said...

Your decorating looks really nice. I love the simple colors. Sometimes it takes me all day to do something simple but those simple things are indeed worth the time.

Jemsmom said...

Oh Sue! I was so excited when I saw you pop up! I knew I wouldn't be disappointed and I wasn't! That is just beautiful! I just bought your reindeer's twin today! Your mantle looks lovely and I can't wait to see what else you do!

A Hint of Home said...

Very pretty mantle. I love all the silver and love magnolia leaves.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, your mantel looks so pretty. I was admiring that pretty silver deer, and couldn't believe when I read that you had spray painted it! You are so smart! I've got one I'm going to do that to! Thanks for all of the inspiration you provide me. laurie

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow, what a lovely focal point! That clock really pulls you in. You've really found a nice way to bring in the greens without darkening your area. Love how it's hung.

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Earthy and elegant! I love the look Sue! You have a perfect touch. I was really wanting to go to the French Hen this Sat but don't think I can make it. We have our 5 yr old granddaughter staying with us for a couple weeks and we are consumed with her plus I'm working lots of hrs at Jacque Penney! Have a great time if you go!!

Big hugs, Sherry & Wes

La said...

It looks spectacular, Sue! I love your reindeer.

I was thinking over this past weekend that I felt like I had ADHD. I could not stay focused on the task at hand. I'd skip from one thing to the next. It creates a chaotic scene. :o) La

Pat said...

Your mantel is beautiful Sue!

I read about the "booze" and paperwhites online after I read your comment. Who'da thunk it! Ours are from the florist. We had them save two for us, this year. I am always too late to get them. I've never tried growing them. According to the tag ours were grown in Iowa. I may try growing them, including a cocktail hour.

cindy @ cottage instincts said...

Oh how I love all the natural textures with lots of silver! Rustic, elegant, and festive....loverly :)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Just Beautiful! I love what you did with the magnolia leaves, your beaded garland is beautiful - and all the pots and candlesticks are just stunning to finish the look. If you ever get tired of that mantle clock you can send it my way! LOL!!! My husband is a watch collector but would love a large clock . . . hmmm I think I've just stumbled on the perfect Christmas gift for him! Have a great day!

Mary

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful!! Makes me wish I had a mantel to decorate.:D

vintagesusie & wings said...

Your mantle is magical my friend...thanks so much for sharing it with us!!
Big Hugs,
Susie

Alexis @ Our Inspired Home said...

Beautiful! I love those urns!

Sherry said...

Very, very pretty mantel!! Love what you did. Wonderful mercury glass candlesticks. Love the ornaments hanging down. That is very pretty. Just gorgeous!
Sherry

Southern Fried Gal said...

Everything is beautiful! I love the touch of moss in the urns - be still my heart!

Tys said...

Oooooo...ahhhh....goregous & sophisicated yet low-key: how all holidays should be! Cheers!

The Writer Chic said...

The mercury is my favorite touch, I think. Those, and the succulents. It's a beautiful mantle, indeed.

Beth@The Stories of A2Z said...

Looks like we were on the same silver wavelength this year! It looks fantastic! I love your garland and the succulents on the candlesticks is brilliant!

Alicia said...

Wow Sue! You have been a busy, busy lady! But it was well worth it, it all looks beautiful. I love the succulents on the fireplace, what a great idea. And the reindeer looks great spray painted like that. I should have gotten my stuff done over the long Thanksgiving weekend but I vegged out instead :-(

This weekend for sure!

Marianne@Songbird said...

You really can't go wrong with silver and you just prove that again. Love the touches and that the clock used to be a table is hilarious.

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

The silver looks great. I love the patina, especially of that interesting grooved box. Love the poinsettiea in the cool wood piece too.

Vanessa said...

Sue! This is absolutely stunning! I don't know that I have seen much of your fireplace before and it is gorgeous even without the decorations! I totally understand about the craziness of trying to get it all done and my house looked like a bomb exploded in it for about 2 weeks! :-)
Thanks so much for sharing all of this loveliness with us...I'm going to go look at it one more time!
Vanessa

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow, Sue! Your mantel looks fabulous! I love the mercury glass and your garland is gorgeous! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Lisa said...

What a beautiful mantle! I love the silver, and the simple elegance. Thanks for sharing.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Very pretty! I just love the garland. The silver magnolia leaves are just the perfect touch.

The Mulberry Girl said...

Gasp! Your mantle is one of my favorites! So pretty. I wish I could put something on my hearth - maybe when my daughter is just a tad older! Stopping by from Layla's!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sue, I knew you would have a beautiful mantel & it is! Gorgeous, so pretty & traditional. Love the swagged garland with silver magnolia leaves. Great idea to reuse those!

Custom Comforts said...

Love your mantle! So pretty. I like all the silver and mercury. What a beautiful fireplace and hearth you have. See you on Saturday at the barn sale.
Cindy

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Great job! I love the leaves painted silver, great idea!

Debbie said...

Hi Sue....Well first off I hear ya on the not getting much done or should I say taking forever. It is this blogging thing, I take too many breaks too long LOL!
Your mantel is gorgeous...I love the silver magnolia leaves, that was clever. It really all looks magnificent.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sue, this is beautiful! The clock is awesome and I love the reindeer you painted slilver! And as for the silver box? I love it as is!

Lou Cinda

Michaela said...

I love all the fun elements to this. The flowers are beautiful!

Lori E said...

You sure do decorate with great taste. Very elegant.

Just B said...

Wonderful holiday mantle! Anyone who uses urns and moss is a gal after my own heart. And what a great idea to use the succulents. They are SO versatile, I love to use them. Happy holidays! :)

Sue said...

Hi Sue.....Note to Self....Don't try to read new blog post and look at shiny objects with your eyes filled with tears from previous post....I thought I was going blind for a minute!!
Can you guess I came from Susie Q's post about poor Kipper...I am so sad to read that they had to put him to sleep...Susie must be beside herself...I know how much she loved that little dog....
On a happier note....your mantel looks lovely. I like how you spray painted the leaves silver...very clever instead of just throwing them out....

TanyaLea said...

Well done! I love the classic sophistication. You do a nice job merchandising/accessorizing ...great combinations and balance w/out being overdone. Perfect!

I'm hoping to get mine finished up and posted sometime tomorrow. I look forward to perusing your blog more and seeing what other great ideas you come up with. Turning that table into a mantle focal point... GENIUS!! I love creative minds!

Have a blessed Christmas! <><
~ Tanya

Andrea said...

I've sure been looking at a lot of mantels on blogs, and yours is definately a stand out. Beautiful job!

Jen said...

Its very beautiful!
Love that the clock used to be a table! Pretty neat idea!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue this is just too beautiful girl...I love the silver you used and all the greens just makes it pop and say beautiful my friend...that clock is huge I can even see it with my old eyes ha ha!! Hope you have a GREAT day on your side of the mountain my Dear friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Gray Cardigan said...

I am a new blogger and live in Ohio, too. Found you on the Mantel Linky. Please let me know of any other get-togethers as I have my annual Cookie Exchange this weekend and can't even consider this upcoming one. Love your mantel and all the decor you used.

classic casual home said...

Very pretty, Sue. And your music is lovely, too.
Mary Ann

Kim said...

Such a lovely mantle. I'm visiting from Layla's mantle party. You have a beautiful home!
xoxo,
Kim

Polly said...

Gorgeous!

See you Saturday!

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Love this Sue!!! I am a simplistic person myself, so this is perfect to me!!!

Suzanne of Pieced Pastimes said...

It looks wonderful! Love the huge leather clock - it looks just perfect up there. Your garland and everything else is lovely.

Zane Wooder said...

The gigantic clock you have and the deer statue you have are both breath taking.

-zane