Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Barn Sale in Granville

 

20

You never know what to expect when you see a sale advertised.  So last week when I read  in Lisa’s Urban Farmhouse post that there was a sale being held at her friend’s barn up in Granville, I figured we’d take a chance and drive out to see what we could find.  Mr. S and I are always open for an adventure. Besides, it was our day off and we had nothing better to do.  (okay, we did, but we decided that we could put away all the outdoor furniture another day.  Besides, it was dreary and cold outside and we didn’t want to freeze our little tootsies or pinkies)  Little did we know that we’d be doing just that inside an old  barn located two hours northeast of us.

 

 

                               

Kimberlys barn (800 x 535)

                                                  photo from Urban Farmhouse

We’d never been up in this area of Ohio before, and let me tell you, Granville is a really cute little college town.  The sale was located just outside of downtown, at the home of Kimberly Thompson, a very gregarious and fun gal. She and her two siblings, Andrea and Wes, were holding the sale in her barn, and the place was filled with lots of other family members who seemed to be involved in the sale in one way or the other.  Although Kim didn’t really want to have her picture taken, I do have few shots of  some of the relatives.

 

25

November days always seem to have a bite to them, so this fire outside the barn was a good place to warm the old bod! This guy tended the fire vigilantly.

 

 

 

21

This is Kim’s mom, but I don’t know who her riding companion was.  She was wearing the most amazing fur hat and she offered me some tips on how to make one.  I think I see a project coming, using my old parka hood.

 

 

22

Kim’s dad was the official greeter and was also in charge of directing traffic. He wanted to show us of one of the barn’s back rooms, but Kim nixed that idea. I think he got into trouble for offering to take us on a tour of what Kim was calling a really disorganized room!   He was a real hoot and had some great stories to tell us.  

We met so many of Kim’s relatives, all of whom made us feel so welcome. They offered us hot coffee, cookies, pumpkin rolls, and at lunchtime- some homemade chicken tortilla soup made by Kim’s mom!  Yum….

 

But now on to the nitty gritty.   As I said, we didn’t know what to expect before we walked into the barn. But we were excited and surprised to see that the space held so much of what we both like- Industrial!!!

 

 

2

This is the first item we saw as we walked through the barn doors. Kim related that her dad had found this in an old factory and cleaned up all the grime and grease. Couldn’t you see this as a kitchen island or as a a place to set a big screen television?   It had a price tag of $695 on it, but WOW-  was it an amazing piece!

 

 

 

3

What a cool old factory cart.

 

 

 

 

5

This cupboard was in really good condition.

 

 

 

 

4

I loved this old blue porch swing.  Sure wish I had a front porch, or even a back porch, for that matter. 

Look at the Burma Shave sign and all the old Ohio license plates. The barn was filled with lots of buckets and ladders.

 

 

 

 

6

This work table held metal containers of some sort. I liked the metal hangers and bought some- 5/$2.00.  They’re headed to the potting bench in the laundry room.

 

 

 

 

7

These green carts were amazing. Kim placed metal baskets on all the shelves for display.

 

 

 

 

8

Old wooden table and metal file sorter.

 

 

 

 

10

Oh did this catch my eye!!!  It is similar to the factory cart that I found at the High Point Furniture Market last month.  It almost came home with us, but after discerning that it was a lot bigger than the carts we ordered, we left it for someone else to buy. But what a bargain at only $295.  Check out the compass rose pillow, the metal bins, and the vintage bulb drawer that is similar to the ones I bought last month.  So much to see!

 

 

 

17

These totes were fashioned from vintage seed sacks.

 

 

 

 

18

Slate tags from a roof off an old barn were hand cut by Kim’s brother, Wes.  Check out how Kim used them to tie onto bottle bags that were fashioned from old burlap seed bags. Wouldn’t that make a fun way to tie up a gift of wine?  I bought several of the tags and I think I’m cutting up some Purina brand feed bags that I found back in the spring. 

 

 

 

 

19

This old adding machine sat on top of  a metal factory table. My grandfather used to have an adding machine similar to this that he used in the family business back in the 50’s and 60’s. I used to think it was so much fun to hear the sounds it made when I pulled the handle to add up all the figures. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6728

Mr. S wanted me to buy one of these metal containers. He thought I should pile my hedge apples into them, but I told him I had too many drawers, boxes, and containers as it is!  I think he was a little disappointed that I didn’t get one.  The wood table/cart in the background was huge and would have made for a nice worktable.

 

 

 

14

This lobster trap came home with us, along with three colorful buoys.  I think it’s going into one of the guest bedrooms for now.   Or it might become an end table. Not sure, yet.

 

 

 

 

 

23

Mr. S discovered this huge restaurant pizza paddle and thought it would be a nice way to serve a home-baked pizza.  Was that a hint, I wonder?  Personally, I think I’d like to use it to spread out some soft polenta and have our guests scoop it up and then add their toppings. I’ve been wanting to have a polenta party ever since I saw Michael Chiarello do it one of his Food Network shows.

 

soft_polenta photo from Food Network

 

 

 

24

I thought this trio of bread pans could be used in a holiday table vignette- I can already see them filled with berries, potpourri,  holly, evergreens, and maybe some of that faux snow I like to make.

 

1

It’s nice to have a companion that’s interested in thrift shopping and antiquing and is always ready to take off on an adventure with me. We’ll  be heading back up to Marysville for another sale  at French Hen Farm during the first week of December and I know he’ll want to hit a few holiday open houses this month.  But first, I think we’d better get that outdoor furniture put away before the first snow!

 

 

Linked to:

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

 

 vintage inspiration button

 

 

 

 


 

 

brayton home Barn Chick Party

56 comments:

Beth Rutter said...

Well this proves that us bloggers need to wear some sort of name tag at these sorts of things! (I was the crazy lady who commented that my husband and I have the "what are you going to do with it" conversation often!)

It was a great sale, here's hoping they have another soon!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Wow that looks like so much fun. I love sales like this. You mentioned Marysville next month? What state is that in? I am asking because I am familiar with Marysville, Tn., and I love that town. Thanks for sharing the photos. Teresa

Blondie's Journal said...

What a ball this would have been!! I like when you get to meet people as nice as this...makes the trip really worthwhile.

I love that blue swing, too!

XO,
Jane

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

GOOD AFTERNOON SUE OH I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD THE TIME TO GO TO THE SALE I ONLY LIVE ABOUT 10 MINUTES AWAY IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS AMAZING !!!
KIM IS SO SWEET AND TALENTED !
I HOPE YOU FOUND MANY GOODIES !
WARMLY
JANET

La said...

Granville is a pretty little town with some lovely places of interest. I once stayed in the haunted Buxton Inn with some girlfriends. We had so much fun.

Happy Monday! La

Jemsmom said...

Looks like a great time! I love the lobster trap and buoys! I would have snatched them up! Faux snow... do tell us how to do it!!! Love the picture of you and your husband!

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Granville isn't that far, hmmm.... Thanks for showing us these wonderul finds and how great to meet nice new people!!

Pat said...

Sounds like a fun day and one we would have enjoyed!

Olive Cooper said...

Hi Sue, they had me at the red door sign. The slate tags are very neat. It was really all about industrial. The potential coffee table for less than three hundred was very nice. Your hubs is a good sport and the photo of you two is splendid. Thanks bunches for visiting me. ♥olive

Jo said...

What great treasures! I want to go next year.

Jo

Pam said...

I just did a post about my trip there. I was there about 9:15am on Saturday (didn't want to miss amything). Looks like we just missed each other. Great sale. But dang it was cold in that barn!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

What a great sale! I love all the industrial pieces. It sounds like it was definitely worth the trip.

Pam said...

Make that 9:15am on FRIDAY, I was watching Megamind at the movie theater on Saturday. Was a little warmer in the theater than the barn.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds and looks like you and your husband had a fun day trip. That is great picture of you both. Thanks for sharing your day with us.
Enjoy your evening.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

That is a really good pic of you and Murph! Such a cute couple! Just think I was talking to you on the phone when you were in the barn! Hope to see you in a few weeks in Marysville...I now have Carmen's plague...cough * cough....Joy! ~Hugs, Patti

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
What an incredible barn sale...love those $6 slate tags!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Debby said...

I live in Granville, actually really close to this barn. My son lives even closer. I went to the sale. I was in awe of all the vintage items, the barn, the atmosphere, the horses and that little white terrier. Oh and that fire smelled so good. Yes, we need to have blogger ID tags. Maybe next year we can all meet somewhere. I'd love information about the sale in Marysville....please and thank you. Don't forget the open house week-end at the Urban Farmhouse in Thornville.

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Love, love, love sales like this!
*hugs*deb

Turley Times said...

What an amazing sale! Thanks for sharing so many photos!

Hannah

Vanessa said...

How fun Sue! I felt like I was going on a treasure hunt with you! Those were such great items you discovered and I can't wait to see what you end up doing with your fun purchases! :-)
Vanessa

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what a fun place to shop and visit. How nice that you hubby likes to go junkin too.

Manuela@TPOH said...

Ooooh what a great sale! I haven't been to a really good one like that in years. I saw so many things in your photos that would have come home with me!

Manuela

Jane said...

I could have spent hours and hours at that sale! What awesome stuff!! So many things that I would like to have....a girl can dream!!
You came home with some great stuff.
Jane

Miss Char said...

I have to tell you Sue if I had come across this sale I probably would have peed my pants, sorry but its true. I love sales like this and adding the hospitality of Kim's family must have made it a most special day for you. Thanks for sharing some of the treasures there were to see. Those slate tiles are just such a bargain and would have a million uses.

Rettabug said...

Sue, you & your hubby look fantastic! It IS wonderful that he likes to do this hunting with you. Mine won't even go to Sam's Club with me. :/
BTW, he used an adding machine just exactly like that one for YEARS. I'll have to go look in the basement to see if we still have it.

DD has a trio of bread pans, connected together just like the ones you showed. She loves them!

What a fun way to spend an afternoon! Be sure to share with us how you make the furry hat. I have a similar one but would still like to know how to do another one for myself.

Southern Queen Bee said...

Sue,
Wow I loved it all. The pizza board was really cool. Hope you share pictures if you make that fur hat. Sorry to say not really cold enough to wear one here.
That is a great picture of ya'll. How is his knee? Looks like he is doing well.
Have a great week,
Missy
Southern Queen Bee

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I would have loved to been there. It's so nice that your husband enjoys exploring these sales with you. What a good looking couple you are!
Blessings,
Marcia

Sharing with Sherri said...

You are always finding the coolest places with the coolest stuff Sue! I wish we had some of those kind of places 'round here!
That fist table and the factory cart look like they could have come right out of the Restoration Hardware Catalog Sooo Cool!

Thanks for taking us along for your lil adventure!

Hugs, Sherri:)

P.S. Thanks for coming by! ...and putting up only one x-mas tree does NOT make you a scrooge! Eight trees is entirely too much work girl;)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sue...

Ohhh what fun!!! It looks like you and honey had a fabulous day! Yes, it's so sweet when your honey shares the same interests for antiquin'...junkin'...etc! My honey is always right in the middle of it all! Hehe! I love it though! Ohhh my goodness...isn't that just the most fabulous barn you've ever seen? I want one just like it! Hehe! Well...I certainly seen several things that caught my eye. I can't wait to see all of your goodies...like the lobster trap...etc...put to use! What fun!!! So glad that you took us along to the barn sale...what a treat! Thanks, Sue!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Hey there Sue, about the Christmas stuff that we you talking about on my blog, I agree with you 110%. I also try to get mine up early enough to enjoy for a while. I put up three trees, do wreaths on all of the outside windows, and then scatter stuff here and there, so I want it up more than two weeks also. Also can't wait to see all the Christmas stuff in blog land! Teresa

dogsmom said...

This looks like it would have been worth a longer drive to visit.
Sorry you did not get a peak into that back room though. Sounds intriguing.
You could add this to the Barn Cick party, would fit right in.

I agree, it is fun when you have a willing partner to go treasure hunting with you.

All That Glitters said...

Girl!!! You know I'm always up for a road trip!!!! I'm in love with the shave sign!!!! That would look so good is my oldest son's room!!! Looks like you had a ton of fun and I just love cozy little fun towns!!!

The Tablescaper said...

Sue:

Thank you so much for taking us with you to this barn sale. We don't get much of that here on Long Island. And how lucky for you to have a wonderful companion to go with. Someone to say, "Hmmm, that's neat, what could we do with it?". Instead of "What are you going to do with that???". LOL!

- The Tablescaper

Kathleen said...

Wow, that looks like fun! So many interesting things!
A lobster trap in Ohio? That's very unique!
I haven't heard from you in a long time! You can't catch my germs, come visit!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Woman! You find the absolute BEST stuff!! How amazing this place was! Love what you got, especially that lobster trap! Can't wait to see how you use it!

Lou Cinda :)

The Muse said...

superb photos of lovely creations from days long ago :)
i want to touch and move...
i am very tactile :)

delighted to be at home this year...and spending Christmas with family and friends..I ever so hope that you and your family is most well !

Brayton Homestead Interiors said...

what a great post- licky you- I would have wanted to buy everything- wow -that piece to become a kitchen island is fantastic!
so glad you joined my Barn Chick Party- love if you could add my link.
thanks...

karen

Ashley said...

That looks like it was an awesome sale! I love that lobster trap. Lucky you!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Hi Sue, tons of such awesome pieces! Love that huge cart. You guys made a great decision to postpone the outside work in trade for such a great day at the barn sale. Thanks so much for linking up for VIF!!
hugs,
Debra

Sheri said...

What a great adventure. I think you just described one of my "perfect days"! Thanks for all the glorious inspiration. I am in LOVE with that table in the first pic. Seriously in love. Visiting from Southern In My Heart.

Custom Comforts said...

Sue,
You must have had a great time. So much to see, I think I would have been overwhelmed. And Granville is one of Ohio's prettiest towns with some cute shops.
When and where is the one in Marysville? If the date is right, maybe I could get to that one. Thanks for sharing.
Cindy

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! Just had to come back over and say thanks for linking this up to the party! :-)
Vanessa

Debbie said...

I could swear I commented on this post...perhaps I thought I did in my moment of FOG. Well I would have to have a truck to go shopping there, and with you. LOVED everything, everything, there was NOTHING I did not like!!~

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Sue,
My goodness what an incredible sale! Everything looks so absolutely charming- I would have been there for hours!! I love the lobster crate and buoys you bought- can't wait to see where they go! Stopping by from Common Ground this evening. :)

xinex said...

What a fun shopping trip, Sue. You and hubby looks so good in the picture. I would really be curious to see what you do with all the stuff you took home...Christine

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow, Sue what a treasure trove of wonderful vintage things! Your photos are wonderful and the very last one of you and your husband is extra wonderful ..you both look so good! God bless!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

Jack Pot Sue!!! I can't wit to see what you create with all your things... oh... and can you mail me one green cart just like you mailed me the letters!!!! LOL Happy weekend Sue!

Dishesdone said...

So many cool things at the Barn Sale! I love the idea to use that piece as a kitchen island!

Great post, I've never been to a Barn Sale, looks like a lot of fun just browsing!

farmlady said...

I just love Barn Sales. I feel like I just drove there with you.... only I didn't buy anything. Darn!
Wonderful stuff....

Kathleen said...

Forgot to say you and the Mr. are stylin'! :)

Lori E said...

My BB guy will go and look but he never seems to buy anything. I on the other hand would be filling the car.
Great finds but now I really, really want to know what is in the "hidden room".

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a great barn sale. A bit out of my price range..but so much fun to look at. My favorite was that wonderful porch swing. I don't have a place for it either... :)
They don't make porches like they used to.

Marydon said...

I'd have been a happy camper ... what a beautiful lot of vintage items. So many things to create with. Love that old kitchen cupboard ... & that gorgeous porch swing, oy!

Have a great week!
TFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Betty's corner of the world said...

wow Sue ..I felt excited just looking at the pictures ..I can imagine how fun it must have been to be in that barn with all those 'prizes'.. The pictures were great ..and I especially loved the one of you an your hubby.
♥ Betty

French Hen Farm said...

Wish I could have made this sale, but your photos are wonderful (as always) and make me feel like I was there!
I love reading your blog!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Hope to see you on the 4th!
Linda

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, this looks like such fun. Love everything you bought and I love some other stuff you left there! What a wonderful hat. I hope you will make one. i can't wait to see it. You and Mr. are such a great looking couple, and you and I are so lucky that our Mr's like going to these type of things with us. laurie