Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Whirlwind Market Weekend

 

Whew! It was a fast weekend at the High Point Furniture Market for us.  And although it was the least amount of time we’ve ever spent at market, we  did see quite a bit while we were there. I wish it had been a longer trip, because there is always something you miss seeing because of the lack of time.

The industrial look is so popular right now, and we saw its influence in both furniture and accessories.

6

This metal and reclaimed wood sofa table was part of a group of tables we bought for the store. 

 

11

This companion round table has a traditional base and inset planks  in the table top. Doesn’t the wood look as if it came from an old factory or a warehouse floor?

 

5

This reproduction cart was also part of the group.

  

8

Here’s another simple reproduction from a different vendor.

 

16

I found the authentic factory cart I wanted while shopping in the antiques area of Market Square. The vendors were selling their goods right off the showroom floor; and while we could’ve brought it home with us, we opted to buy another one for the store and have both of them shipped. My camera batteries had died by the time I visited that space, but this cart is identical to what I’m getting. I’m going to use it as a cocktail table in my great room.  FYI- the wheels will lock, so I won’t have to worry about it traveling across the floor!

 

 

 

1

What ingenuity to use old pulleys and metal tubs as light fixtures! While these were display items in the showroom, there were lighting companies that were selling their versions of the industrial look.

 

3

This metal banded wooden bucket hanging from old chains made a great shade for this light fixture.

 

2

How simple is it to have a bare Edison light bulb shining through a wire basket and used as overhead lighting?

 

4

Movie spotlights in many different sizes and colors were a popular item in the larger lighting showrooms.

 

12

 

 

 

 

13 

I can remember seeing carts like this at the railroad station in the small southwestern town where I grew up. We used to roll them down the cobblestone walkways along the tracks when there were no railroad employees around!  I think this would make a great entertainment center for a flat screen T.V. The audio components would fit nicely on the bottom shelf.

~~~~~

I have more pictures of things we saw and bought and I’ll share them as soon as I get a little rest and catch up with everything that was neglected for the past week while I was in Florida and North Carolina. 

My feet are still hurting me, even though I wore flats. It’s amazing how much walking you do in all those buildings. I am hoping I worked off a few of the hundreds thousands of calories I took in while noshing in all the showrooms. We only ate out one night at a local restaurant- the showrooms we were  in provided breakfast, lunch, dinner, AND cocktails!  One of the perks of being a buyer! *grin*

 

24 comments:

Tardevil said...

Sadly, I live only about an hour from there, yet I have never been to market. I have visited some furniture stores there, and you are right that you can walk for-ev-ah. Hope you had fun in NC!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

Sue, what a fun place! and I am soooo jealous of your soon to be coctail table. :)

Vanessa said...

Oh how fun Sue! I especially loved that round table you featured! Sounds like you guys had a great time! :-)
Vanessa

Blondie's Journal said...

It sounds like you had a ball, Sue. I like this industrial look but don't know the first thing about incorporating it into my home. I can't wait to see your table!

XO,
Janie

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

I love that industrial look!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I see what you mean by the industrial look really having an influence this year! I like some of it...I can see touches of it in a home. I did like that last table you suggested would be good for an entertainment system! It must be a fun time for you and Murphy looking and buying for the store!~Hugs, Patti

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like you had a fun and productive trip. Get some rest! :D

Olive Cooper said...

Love the locked cart you bought!

A Hint of Home said...

I love going to High Point and surrounding areas for furniture shopping. It's only 2 to 2 & 1/2 hours for me to get there. I've gotten quite a few things while shopping there.
Hope to go back this Spring.
Looks like you had a successful trip and sounds like good eating, too. lol

Polly said...

OMGOSH! I think I have just fallen in love several times!! Will you be selling any of these industrial pieces in your store? I love the drawered piece in the background of the picture of the simple cart! I also love the cart(s)!!! And the movie lighting! How in the world do you ever choose????

hugs

Polly

Debbie said...

Treasure galore there. I love the cart....I believe restoration hardware had a knock off...but it was like 2,000 or something like that. Can't wait to see yours...loved all those pieces.

Jemsmom said...

Holy smokes! How cool is all that?!? I think I need that round table!!! So many finds!

Susie Q said...

I always love to see what you find at market! I love the carts...they are repos but sure do look exactly like their antique counterparts!
You have been such a busy bee of late! When you get rested up, let's meet for lunch or breakfast okay?
Love,
Sue

Balisha said...

Loved looking at all the "new" things.These pieces are so different from last years. Who starts these trends anyway? How inventive..Balisha

Pat said...

I like the industrial look and would love to have a cart,like the one in the last photo. It is absolutely perfect for a flatscreen tv.

Loved all the images, Sue!

Miss Char said...

Oh I miss going to market since I'm not involved in retail anymore. Talk about tired...a few days of that will put you in the easy chair, I know how you feel Sue.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, always inspiration when you can see what's new on the market.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I would feel like I was in heaven to get to go to something like this!! Just eye candy at EVERY turn!! So glad you had fun and I cannot wait to see your table!!

Lou Cinda :)

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Great blog -loved visiting the shop with you!
Best regards,
Gloria

Pam said...

I am so jealous. I want one of those factory carts, but have no idea where I would put it. I'll wait to see how yours looks in your great room. And that railroad cart is great too.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I think there is something 70's retro about the new industrail look. Your photographed some really interesting pieces, Sue!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, what fun! I've been thinking I want some kind of piece of industrial looking furniture. Love these carts, etc. Can't wait to see your cocktail table! laurie

Sailing Simply said...

I've been to the Atlanta market and so enjoyed being wined and dined too. Great perks for sure! I would love to go to this market, so many goodies! I especially love the last pic of the cart but I would enjoy using it more like a buffet style table or maybe a bar. Very neat!

The Tablescaper said...

I've been to High Point when shopping for a bunch of furniture, but was never there during market. It looks like an amazing experience.

- The Tablescaper

Pam @ Frippery said...

Oh I am just in love with all the industrial looking things. I want to redo my entire house!