Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wall of Color

 

wall of plates 

Last week, I saw lots of color at the International Home Furnishings Market in High Point, North Carolina. The market is open to the trade only, and is where retailers and decorators go to see  existing merchandise, as well as the new introductions, in the vendors’ lines.

I spotted this wall in Global Views, one of the many accessory showrooms at the market. The showroom used an extremely bright color palette throughout the line, so hot lime and bright orange were just a few of the many colors we encountered.

   In this wall vignette, a large rectangle of chartreuse wallpaper was framed out to match the taupe colored background wall color. Yes, all shades of gray are very popular colors right now!

The addition of an over-sized convex mirror and an collection of different sized bowls created a simple, but really fun wall vignette.

Tying the buffet in with the wall are apothecary jars filled with colored water. How easy would this be for someone to create, using only a few drops of food coloring and a couple gallons of plain H2O ?

And although this is wall is done in a contemporary design, the same application could be used in more traditional decor, as well.

~~~~~

Linking to Artie’s Vignette Fridays

artie's party

16 comments:

Jo said...

I usually don't like modern but I actually like this!

Jemsmom said...

Wow! That packs a punch! Very cool!

Pat said...

Hi Sue
I could see this color combination in a more traditional setting. I am drawn to abstract art, for some reaon. I like this.

After I read your comment, I turned the witch around. There are two rods on one side of the stand for balance. Turned in that direction the legs are all the way in the back. I guess I have it right in the photo, but it is still a puzzle.

Life with L said...

Hi Sue, did you have fun at the furniture mart? That wall is divine, even if it is modern. Have you had a chance to see my new Marge Carson dining table and chairs? I ordered them in June and they arrived last Saturday.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

It would be fun to do this for a party in a venue with very little decor. I would never have thought to hang those colorful bowls on the wall. Love the colored water in the bottles. laurie

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! What a beautiful vignette! It is so fun to see designs with a different style sensibility than my own and I love the idea of using colored water. Never would have thought of that on my own! :-)
Vanessa

Balisha said...

My goodness....Shades of the 70's. I had an apple green and shades of orange kitchen. We used to put colored water in bottles for an inexpensive decorating touch in a window. Using the bowls on the wall is a neat idea.
Balisha

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I really like this. I can't imagine having it in my house...but, I do love it. It would be really great hotel decor.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! What a great idea! Now that I think about it, I remember that my mom had a blue and brown powder room with blue water in a pretty bottle. Hard to beat something so pretty and so inexpensive! Thanks for the inspiration! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Alicia said...

Reminds me of the 70's. I do like the mirror. It's very pretty to look at.

bj said...

So glad you had a good time and are back, safe and sound. :)

If I put liquid of any kind in anything just sitting around, it would be spilled before I could turn around...we so USE most of our tables for coffee cups, candy dishes, magazines...
Really a pretty idea, tho..
xo bj

seedanado said...

Ahhh...music to my eyes!

Debby said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so excited over meeting another Ohio blogger. I took a tour through your blog and it is beautiful, beautiful pictures and the fun places you have been. Goodness girl, I didn't know about the sale in Marysville or the place in Lancaster. I signed up to follow you around the state, hah. I love your style.

Melissa Miller said...

Very nice vibrant colors Sue! :)

PS You look pretty in your new profile picture.

Manuela@TPOH said...

That's a very cool design!

Manuela

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue retro seems to be "in" now! Is wallpaper coming back? I saw a onlinearticle about a showroom house in NYC that was decorated by top designers and they used very unusual and retro (at least to me) wallpaper in many of the rooms. Flocked velvet, metallic and paisley designed wallpaper. I was surprised!