Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Vintage Halloween and Fall Vignette

 

I bought a few fun vintage items when I was in Marysville for the French Hen Farm sale a few weeks ago. Among them were three cardboard containers that once held music cylinders for the Edison phonographs that were used in the early 1900’s.

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s a photo of one of the players that used the music cylinders.

edison phonograph

Basically, the cylinder for this phonograph could be compared to what most of us know as a vinyl record used on a record player turntable. 

  

 

2

I used the three containers in one of my fall/Halloween vignettes on the baker’s rack in the great room. I filled the containers with marbles to stabilize them, then I simply stuck in an old spool of thread, and a crow and a cat on a stick. 

 

 

6 

A spooky old crow and a toothy grinned cat are perfect for Halloween! These Halloween animals on a stick were dollar finds at yard sale.

 

5

 

 

 

 

9

 

 

The white thread spools were purchased at an estate sale for fifty cents each and the larger spool was a $5.oo purchase at Gathered Comforts, a booth that exhibited at the Country Living Fair and the Springfield Flea Market Extravaganza.

 

10

 

 

 

 

 

fall collage

~~~~~~

 

Linking to Vanessa’s Inspiration Friday

 

vanessa

 

 

 

  Artie’s Vignette Fridays

 

artie's party

 

 

 

 

Leigh’s Thrifty Thursday

thriftthursday

 

 

 

 

Debra’s Vintage Inspiration Friday

common ground

25 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Sue, your collage is darling and love the use of the canisters. ♥O

Miss Char said...

I love your Halloween on a stick finds. Your Halloween vignette looks great. Thanks so much for sharing.

Alicia said...

Well you learn something new everyday. I never knew all that about phonograph cyclinders Sue! Thanks for sharing.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Such great vintage things all grouped together with little touches of Halloween thrown in with the perfect old look. Love it.

Pat said...

Neat finds, Sue. I love the collage too.

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Awesome finds Sue! Marysville eh? Gonna have to go!

Blondie's Journal said...

I like this vignette a lot Sue. The crow and the cat are just as 'vintagy' as the canisters and the spools. It all looks great together! :-)

XO,
Jane

La said...

You have a such a great eye, Sue! La

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Sue, I am thinking it probably would not be a good idea for us to go shopping aka treasure hunting together as our taste are so much alike. We would be fighting! :) Love all your buys and that goat cart...man oh man!...it's fabulous. You will enjoy it so much through out the different seasons. xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Really do like your vintage vignette!
Hope you are having a great week.

xinex said...

I love all your vintage items, Sue. Great decor!...Christine

Dishesdone said...

Cute Halloween finds! Love the vintage treasures from Edison!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I love the way you think outside the box. I would never have thought to use those that way! Love the cat and the crow. All of it makes such an interesting vignette. laurie

Jemsmom said...

I love how you take a great vignette and then just add touches to make it into a seasonal thing. You are awesome!

janet said...

Love all your wonderful treasures!!!

Janet xox

Denise said...

Linking up thru Tales from Bloggeritaville. Beautiful! I adore Vintage Halloween! Your blog is gorgeous and if you ever visit mine, I would love to hear from you. New Follower to your great blog, (I'm the Bulldog Head!) My Granddog Junkdog
Blessings,
Denise

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Gosh what great stuff you found and I love how you put it all together! A very unique and interesting Fall vignette!!~Hugs, Patti

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! I just realized that even though I saw this yesterday I didn't leave a comment! Must have been a "duh" moment! :-) I love this vignette and I'm always so amazed at your great finds and your way of turning them into wonderful vignettes. You are one talented lady and I'm so glad you joined the party this week and that you are going to come back for the Soup Exchange! Can't wait!
Vanessa

Brenda Kula said...

You simply amaze me with what you manage to find and what you do with it!
Brenda

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there- your Halloween vignette is delightful and so much fun! I love the way you used your finds to create something so unique Your kitty is darling too!! :)

Linda said...

Lovely vignette, Sue~ the Edison containers are so graphic and wonderful! And I can't believe you found that goat cart in your last post, at a rummage sale...oh my gosh...find of the year!

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...

Sue, I love those canisters...they are very cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the comment. So many people expressed their opinion. Guess it hit a nerve with many!!!

hip-chick said...

What a great idea on how to use them. I love your toothy cat!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Oh Sue I want to go to the French Hen Farm soooo much!! I'm hoping to make it there during the holidays. Work is so busy right now and I'm getting stuck with too many saturdays! I glad you liked it, now I know I have to visit them.

Hugs, Sherry

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

Those are really neat! love your halloween vignettes! ;)