Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

French Hen Farm Trip, part 2

 

This crazy vertigo I’ve been experiencing has significantly subsided and I feel much better this morning, so I’ll finish telling you about our trip to the French Hen Farm.  Mr. S and I started out from Dayton on Friday morning and drove to Lancaster, Ohio to shop at the Olde Shoe Factory Antique Mall.  Polly, from Sassafras Stuff, has a booth there and I was hoping to be able to visit with her, since it’s been ages since I saw her last. Unfortunately,  we were only able to chat by phone, since she wasn’t going in to work until later in the afternoon. I did pick up a few things from her booth, including an old feed sack she’s had on hold for me for months! Thanks Polly- I thought the staff was never going to be able to find it! *grin*

It was Polly who suggested that we make the trip to Marysville ; she knows my taste and style and said I’d like what the girls had to sell. And she was right!

 

 

barn

I’d say this is not a your conventional barn out on a farm. It was new and had bright sunshine streaming in from the many windows, and there were chandeliers hanging from the rafters!

 

 

 

 

 

 

chandelier2

 

 

chandelier

Now tell me this wasn’t cute~ Can you see the welcome sign hanging from the ceiling?

 

 

 

 

welcome

We arrived long after the large crowds had left for the day, so it was easy to roam through the barn and do some leisurely shopping.

 

 

 

 

 

 

chaise

Even though this chaise was well–worn, there was definitely some beauty in the carved wood framework.

 

 

 

 

 

chalkware dogs

There was a fun display of old carnival chalkware dogs, along with a little bit of history about them.

 

 

 

 

 

blue bottles, jars

Reasonably priced blue Atlas and Mason jars were on display throughout the barn.

 

 

 

 

 

chair

Mr. S thought this chair, reasonably priced at under $40, was quite nice with its turquoise blue seat. I told him we simply did not need another chair in the house!

 

 

 

 

 scary mirror

Here’s Mr. S admiring some Halloween decor. I caught his reflection in the eerily decorated mirror.

 

 

 

 

art

This was a fun example of some framed ephemera artwork.

 

 

 

 

drawers

I loved the chalky blue paint on these drawers.

 

 

 

 

 

chest

I blurred the only picture I took of this five drawer chest, so you may not be able to see that it was decoupaged with sheets of paper with French writing on it.  I have plans to do something similar to a chest I bought a few months ago.  Do you see that all of the drawer handles are different?

 

 

 

 

glittered pumpkins, bottles

I loved the display of glittered pumpkins and bottles. I found some extra fine glitter at the craft store, so I’ll be covering some of my own faux pumpkins with it. My favorite color was the purple hue on the mini pumpkins.

 

 

 

glitter pumpkins

 

 

 

 

 

velvet punkin

Velvet pumpkins were a big hit this fall at the Country Living Fair.  I’ll be sewing up a few of these, too.

 

 

 

 

 

chandy3

Here’s another chandy in the corner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

screen

More ephemera on an old screen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

farm

Here’s a glimpse of the property looking toward the barn. It was a glorious fall day, and since we chose to take the back roads, it was perfect for enjoying the scenery of the countryside.

 

 

 

 

wagon

 

~~~~~

My purchases still have to be styled into their new homes.   I’m hoping to show you what I found before I leave for Florida.  Hope the upcoming week is a good one for you!

                                                                                             

 

 

 

farm

 

 

I’m linking with:

Mosaic Monday @ Little Red House

little red house    click to link

16 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a great place. I spied lots of goodies. I especially love the chalkware dogs. The collie in my sitting room is the only one I have. I hope I can find a place like that when we drive up towards the mountains today.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a fun place to go. Love the chandeliers hanging in a barn. Sorry you are dealing with vertigo. Hope it gets better real soon, so you won't have a problem on your trip.

Lori E said...

This is a cool place. I spotted the old Crayola box in the display. Those blue drawers would be a great place to store napkins and napkin rings.

Chambray Blue said...

Oh, I did love the carnival chalkware dogs!! That probably would have been a purchase for me had I been there.... By the way Sue, your name was drawn for the walmart gift card. I just need your address if you feel comfortable in emailing it to me... :)

Dishesdone said...

What a great place! A fun place to spend the day and shop and just look!

Jemsmom said...

Wow! I could do some damage in there! My husband thanks you for living far away! So glad you are feeling better. Vertigo is horrible. My best friend had a lot of trouble with it and she was miserable. Take care of yourself!

A Garden of Threads said...

I could shop in that barn for hours, to bad it is so far away. Maybe on a holiday I can stop by. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

Mary said...

Omigosh, what a great place! Looks like you got some really cute things, too. Thanks for sharing at MM. :)

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

I could spend hours looking at these photos...what a wonderful place to visit and shop and photograph!!!

La said...

What a great place. I will have to make a trip down some weekend. La

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Lots of fun things to look at in the barn. Can't wait to see what you picked up.

A Hint of Home said...

Looks like a great place to shop. I could have bought a few things I'm sure.
Glad you're feeling better.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue

I'd love to browse at that shop! I like that chair and blue drawers of the cabinet and the glittery pumpkins. Mr. S looks great! I hope he is feeling well and you too, Sue!

Cindy said...

What a wonderful place to shop! I love it! Thanks for a look.
Cindy

Sharing with Sherri said...

Oh Sue this place looks so fun and charming!! So many pretties!! I wish we had a place like it around here! I'll bet you had a great time!!

Hugs, Sherri:)

Cori said...

Sue:

Just had so much fun looking through the barn sale post. I can't wait to see your photos from Dec 4th!

I am planning my first sale here on my property in the Sprinting. I don't have a barn but will set up in the cottage and hopefully on the lawn, weather permitting.

I also read about your vertigo. I also suffer from bouts of vertigo. Isn't it awful??? Luckily I have only had a few brief "waves" over the last several months.

Thank you for your sweet comments on my space and decorations. I enjoy that little space more than I ever imagined. I went in today and the red dresser was sold! Lots of work to do tomorrow to get a few more pieces in there.

Hope you also have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

best,

Cori