Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunflowers in a Bulb Tray

 

h

Last week I put together a new vignette on the sofa table in the great room, using a wooden bulb tray as its base.  I purchased the tray from Julie and Shannon,  two sisters who ran the Gathered Comforts  booth at the Springfield Antique Extravaganza . The girls had some really fun and unique items at both the Extravaganza and at the Country Living Fair held in Columbus over this past weekend.  They sell on Etsy, so why don’t you stop by their store to see what they have.

Originally used by flower growers to dry bulbs, the tray is basically a wooden drawer with a screen as its bottom.  Mine is about  3.5 inches deep and about 13 inches wide- plenty of room to fill with pumpkins, gourds and an apothecary jar filled with faux sunflowers.

 

1

I liked my deep tray so well that I bought a smaller one from the girls when I saw them again at the Country Living Fair. It is only about 1.5 inches deep and 11 inches wide. It has divider, whereas my larger one does not.

Pottery Barn sells the trays for $99.  I paid $20-  oh how I love a bargain!

 

 

g

I filled the apothecary jar with dried gourds, wooden pears, and dried salal leaves. Then I just arranged a few bunches of sunflowers in varying sizes.

 

 

f

I filled the tray with a variety of gourds, pinecones, and pumpkins. And  I stuck some wispy strands of grass into the arrangement of flowers just because……..

 

 

 

8

I was still playing around with the grass when this shot was taken- I ended up pulling out most of it and  leaving only about six stems.  What’s the rule?  Just when you think you’re done~  Edit, Edit, Edit…

 

 

7

There is such a variety of color in the gourds and pumpkins, so the midnight black color of the crows adds a lot of contrast to the autumn hues.

 

 

11

This mottled gray pumpkin is my favorite- he looks like he has freckles!

 

 

d

Once again I’m using one of my wooden spools in a display. This one holds a battery operated candle whose flame flickers in golden amber.  

 

 

9

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

sunflowers

 

Linked to:

TableTop Tuesday

 

Table Top Tuesday                                  

 

 

  Fall  Open House

 hooked on houses

 

A Few of My Favorite Things Saturdays

                                                          

               fav thngs cmbnd

                          

                           

                               Vignette Fridays

       artie's party  

                   

36 comments:

Terra said...

You have a huge talent for creating a beautiful display. Your house must glow with the seasons.

Jo said...

This is fall in a single shot! Lovin it ~ can you make one for me too? :)

Jo

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, Now I want one of those trays! But then, I'd have to fly you to Ark. to decorate it for me. This looks beautiful. What a wonderful way to contain all of this Fallness. I'm going to check out their Etsy. Thanks for telling about it. Oh! First I have to tell you that your photos are excellent and your presentation of them (frames, mosaics, etc.) are so creative. Lovin' all of it. laurie

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Ooops! I forgot to tell you how excited I am that you'll be linking this beautiful vignette to Favorite Things Sat. Thank you. laurie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love this wonderful vignette you created in this bulb tray. What a great idea. Love the jar filled with gourds and flowers and then the black crowes are cute, too.

Vanessa said...

Sue, this is so creative and beautiful! Every time I see your pictures I feel inspired to try a new vignette and to improve my photography too! :-)
Vanessa

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue....That is a gorgeous vignette! I love all the gourds and the sunflowers that you used in the bulb tray! It looks great on the sofa table. Your room looks so inviting and cozy!~Hugs, Patti

Debbie said...

I am so frustrated with blogger lately...Ok now I can comment. I love your pretty Fall vignette. The crows give a great touch.

Polly said...

It looks very pretty Sue! You decorate with color so well!

Polly

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

It looks gorgeous. I love the tray, what a neat thing to have. Your vignette is stunning. I love the vase filled with fruit and then the flowers. what a fantastic look. All of the pumpkins, gourds and the candle are all so pretty. Love it. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Love this vignette...your bulb tray is sooooo COOL!!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love your Fall vignette!!! Wanna come decorate for me? :-D
I had plans to do more Fall decor. here today, but had appts. and errands and by the time I got home, decorating was not on my agenda - long day.
Enjoy your week.

Sharing Shadymont said...

Great vignette! I love it all. Great style!

Jo said...

Love the vignette You have been busy decorating!

La said...

Stunning! I've seen more unique pumpkins and gourds this year than I ever have in the past. Love it! La

Pam said...

That is so pretty. I would have never thought to use the tray that way. And I love all the items in the jar. Very cute.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

What a fabulous fall vignette, Sue! I love all the pumpkins and gourds... they look great in your vintage bulb tray!
Happy Wednesday! :)
Hugs ~ Jo

Miss Char said...

Love love your vignette. I was at the Country Living Fair too but didn't see the neat piece you found. Actually there were just so many people I couldn't see a lot of things. Thanks for posting I think your grouping looks perfect.

Alicia said...

Lovely Sue! You sure are getting a lot of use out of those spools!

A Hint of Home said...

Everything looks so pretty, Sue. Your home is so warm and inviting. I love your vignettes and how you arrange all of them.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Gorgeous!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

Gorgeous! I love your spotted pumpkins. ;)

bj said...

This looks really nice...I like the olden tray..and the grass...and the spotted pumpkins..anything different. It seems not too many ways to decorate with pumpkins that isn;t just like "you next door neighbors'" but YOU have managed to come up with something different. Wonderful job!!
xo bj

Pat said...

Sue this is beautiful! I love the long shot across the table and into the room.

Shelia said...

Oh, Sue, This is just beautiful! You have such a talent for making pretty! The tray looks perfect with all of your Falleness!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Julie. . . Gathered Comforts said...

Sue, we love what you have done with the bulb tray. It looks really beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing it with everyone and blogging about our booth. We really appreciate your kindness.
Shannon & Julie

Janet said...

Beautiful arrangement Sue and now I understand what the bulb tray you were seeking is! Nice to meet you in Ohio!

Janet

niartist said...

Hi Sue! Checking my comment before I write another long one ...

niartist said...

Ok, it's working now! LOL! I'm so glad to finally have a window of time to visit all of the people who linked up with my Vignette Friday post! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Without your linking up I wouldn't have so many beautiful photos to oooo and ahhh over! :) I love this tray - and even though I've seen them around a lot, I didn't know what the heck they were. Did you know they had a round one at Terrain for $400?? Yep! Anyway - you styled it exquisitely and I love that black candle. Is that wooden, too?

Cindy said...

Your vignette is gorgeous! I love it. Those trays are wonderful, funny how you can find such inexpensive things that are just as nice as PB!
Hugs, Cindy

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

your vignette is wonderful. I so love a bargain as well.n
michele

Sarah said...

Beautiful fall vignette. I like the idea of using wooden containers when I do a fall arrangement. I guess I need to find myself a bulb tray. ;-)
Thanks for sharing. ~ Sarah

xinex said...

Beautiful fall display, Sue. My favorite shot is the one with the fireplace....Christine

GardenofDaisies said...

Your centerpiece is gorgeous! I wish I had half your talent!

Diann said...

Hi Sue!

How beautiful! Your little vignette turned out gorgeous!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Hi Sue, your vignette is really wonderful!! The bulb trays are really cool. I don't think I've seen one before, but now I'm on the lookout! And the gourds in the glass vase look amazing. Thanks for linking up with VIF!
xo,
Debra