Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

A New Table Vignette…

10

The last of the summer decor is finally gone and the cocktail table got a quick renovation with the addition of things that lent a warmer feel to it. I’m gradually adding to the fall decor, even though I started two weeks ago! Where does time fly?

1

The candle holders were a gift from Mr. Sullivan about five years ago. I had seen them in a small shop in Waynesville, Ohio while doing some holiday shopping and had wanted to buy them; but he kept telling me I would find something nicer somewhere else. Little did I know that he had this trio already packaged up to give me as a Christmas present! He had ordered them from one of our vendors while he was at the furniture market in the fall. Needless to say, I was quite surprised to find them underneath the Christmas tree, complete with battery operated candles. Back then, these candles were hard to find- unlike now, where you can find them in discount stores everywhere.

I used an assortment of filler for the containers. Dried pomegranates and snipped grapevines fill the cylinder on the left; pinecones from our yard fill the largest container; and prickly balls from a sweet gum tree occupy the cylinder on the right.

2

The large dictionary from the summer vignette stayed, as did the clock; but I added a button paperweight and the silver creamer filled with succulents from the terrarium.

9

The paperweight was made Kathy Stantz, a friend of mine who will be exhibiting her goods at the Country Living Show in Columbus in a few weeks.

7

My vintage find of the week was this old ledger that is over 100 years old. It dates back to 1881 and was used by a livery company here in Dayton. The ledger was purchased from a favorite store in Tipp City, Ohio.

3

These buggy and hack rentals were from an October 12, 1882 entry.

4

The livery company did not discriminate between political parties. :-) You can see that both the Republicans and the Democrats rented a carriage and team of horses on the same day for a cost of $8.00. Check out how the word ‘Committee’ was spelled incorrectly.

5

I placed a miniature glass urn filled with pen nubs on top of the ledger.

11

Can’t you just imagine using a pen where you actually had to dip these nibs into a bottle of ink? I guess I’m a romantic, because I’m envisioning a young couple, separated by many miles, professing their words of love to each other in long, flowing script….

And yes, I’m still playing with my mosaics…. It is very addictive and time consuming!

collage 4

I downloaded my own handwriting to the computer and

added it to the mosaics.

collage 2

~~~~~

I’m linking to Vignette Fridays and Show and Tell Friday

Please pay them a visit!

artie's party

show and tell fridays

fav thngs cmbnd

click on button to link

I’m also linking to Laurie’s party on Saturday. There are so many lovely ideas over there. Please stop by and say hi~

41 comments:

Jo said...

As always very nice love the ledger with the magnifier

PAT said...

Gorgeous post, Sue!!

Blondie's Journal said...

What a nice arrangement of historical treasures you have here, Sue!! The ledger is absolutely awesome. I could just see my kids using it for a coaster or ripping out pieces for scrap paper!! Grrrrr...

I love what you are doing with the mosaics!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what a great vignette you created as usual. I love the filled candle holders. Your hubby did good. Glad you mentioned using the sweet gum balls. We will have a gazillion when they fall. Love that old ledger you bought.

Terra said...

That is a sweet story of how your husband surprised you with the candle set, and I am surprised that they are battery operated. My favorite thing of yours is the magnifying glass with the shell handle.
Would a local museum like the 1880s ledger? I am a librarian so love to see these old books preserved.

Jo said...

I'm slowly pulling my fall items out ~ these is a crispness in the air today that reminds me fall moving in.

Your decor is lovely. Great story behind your candles. The fillers are the perfect little touch.

Jo

Dawn said...

That ledger is wonderful Sue. The whole arrangement works so well together. I just love things that take us back in time like that.
Hugs,
Dawn

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

I must be a romantic also. That handwriting is...gosh, it's hard to come up with the right word. Beautifully old fashioned in a mysterious sort of way, like days gone by.

Sweet as June said...

COOL ledger...

Donna said...

I really love your glass hurricanes! How sweet of your hubby to surprise you with them! And the vintage ledger is a fun find! Saw you over at Show & Tell Friday :)

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I love the candle holders...so many uses for the different seasons! How cool is that ledger...that was a fun find.

Jemsmom said...

That ledger is such a wonderful piece! Talk about your conversation piece! Those candlesticks are to die for! I love how you have them filled! All of it is just gorgeous!

Karen said...

Sweet gum balls! I love it.

Karen said...

Sweet gum balls! I love it.

Madame Meg said...

ooh, very cool candle holders! I love what you've put in them (and thanks for telling what it all was, I was wondering about those dried pomegranates!) It must be fun to leaf through that ledger and imagine the stories behind it... history lives on!
- Meg

My Crafty Little Page said...

Lovely arrangement - you've inspired me to get busy. Yes...those mosaics are addicting but so much fun. :) Nancy

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue...What pretty vignettes! I love what you have done for your fall decorating! Unfortunately I am still stuck in August. I am so behind because of having company that I have not even thought about fall let alone decorated. The cool evenings and the daylight getting shorter each day though is making me think Fall though! Great photos!~Hugs, Patti

Laura said...

Sue-
What an amazing collection of beautiful things.
It was relaxing just reading this post.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Debbie said...

What a great display Sue. Cool ledger...and I loved your fillers too. Have a great weekend. Debbie

Cabin and Cottage said...

Of course I love all the elements here! Beautifully put together!

Nancy said...

Interesting and lovely. The antique ledger is amazing...what a wonderful piece to display!

Nancy

Green Willow Pond said...

I love your display. My favorite is the old dictionary with the silver creamer, clock and paperweight! I have all of those things, thuough slightly different, but I could really duplicate that look! Thanks for sharing.

niartist said...

Hi Sue! Thanks so much for linking up to Vignette Fridays this week! I love your vignette. So beautiful and original - and most importantly: INSPIRATIONAL! I can't wait to go out and find some of those gum tree prickers myself! :) All the best, Artie

Turley Times said...

Those candleholders are amazing and I love the middle one filled with pinecones (I love anything pinecone-related). My dad recently found a couple of his grandpa's ledger books from the early 20th Century. I should tell my mom to decorate with them, too!

Hannah

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! You have such style and this is so beautiful!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love, love your vignette! I really like the candle holders.
Great job on the mosaics!
Enjoy your weekend.

Pam said...

Great mosaics. They are very addictive. That ledger is wonderful - love the handwriting.

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

This is beautiful! I am hosting a 50 dollar CSN Giveaway. Do drop by My Dream Canvas for a visit.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I love those candle holders. You and Mr. S were way ahead of the trends when you bought those, because I'm just now looking for something like that! (Maybe I'm just behind the trends). Love your old livery journal. So interesting and so much fun. I wish I knew how to make a paperweight. Love the idea of putting buttons inside. I think your mosaics look fabulous, and how smart of you to put your own handwriting on there! I have no idea how to do that! I'm impressed. laurie

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How very lovely this is! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your sweet visit too.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How very lovely this is! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your sweet visit too.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Gorgeous Sue!
The ledger and the pen nubs in the glass bowl are wonderful. I have my grandmothers ledger and I cherish it.

Love & hugs, sherry

Go Bucks!!

Linda said...

Sue, your vignettes are really lovely! They have such a wonderful feeling for fall... Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your nice comments!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, when I saw that thumbnail on your link on my post, I started coveting those candle holders all over again! So glad you linked this beautiful post to Favorite Things Sat. I hope you have a fabulous weekend. laurie

Brenda Kula said...

What a great find that old ledger was! I love the simple things to decorate with, things gathered from the yard. Shopped from around the house. Your vignettes are always so beautiful.
Brenda

Purnima@a creative project said...

Your candle holders are so pretty!! Perfect for fall with the pine cones in it.. They look amazing!You have a wonderful collection of vignettes!!

xinex said...

Beautiful vignettes, Sue. I just love the way you accessorize. I also love your vintage items...Christine

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! Thanks so much for joining my Party this week! Your vignette is so beautiful and that touch of history adds such a unique quality! Those are my favorite kind of finds and it is so nice to meet other folks who appreciate them like I do. I hope we will see you again next week!
Vanessa
http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Ahhh, such a lovely piece of history and displayed so nicely with the glass. What fun!
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Hi Sue: Love all your finds and historical significance. Makes them so personal. I would love to know how you downloaded your handwriting to the computer and then use on your blog. Your writing is very neat. The mosiacs I make are on photoscape and I use the combine feature.

xinex said...

Hi Sue! I did not know you are from Ohio. Did you know John grew up in Cincinnati? I know about the rivalry!....Christine