Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Finally Finishing the Fall Dining Room Table

 

That’s a tadbit of alliteration in the title, wouldn’t you say?

Oh My! Where does time fly?  I started putting out my fall decorations over two weeks ago and I’m still not done! There have been a few little interruptions- being on call for jury duty; dealing with contractors who don’t return phone calls or bother to show up for work; and just the ins and out of daily life, in general.  So yesterday, I made myself work on a new dining room arrangement.  I’ve been a little stagnant for ideas, but figured I’d do a vignette off to one side of the table,  just to be different.

This is what I came up with~ 

fall table vignette 

1

 Knowing that I didn’t want to use florals, I decided to use muddy- colored ferns in an off-white ceramic vase. I added a few pops of color with some branches of rust colored berries.

 

 

 

twig pumpkin

The vase is surrounded with gourds, pinecones, and pumpkins.  I think the twig pumpkin is a fun addition to the mix of ceramics and other natural materials. 

 

 

 

 

gourds, pumpkins

The over-sized gourds were a great thrifting find- they sell for upwards of $30 in retail shops, and I purchased these for only a few dollars apiece.  A glittery  ceramic acorn leans up against the pumpkin, while the leaf ball that I made last fall is perched on top of smaller gourds.  You can learn how to make the leaf ball in this tutorial

 

 

gourds

A small candelabra sits on top of a tied stack of old books in order to give it some height.

 

 

 

 

candleabra

I positioned a lace table runner at a diagonal across one end of the table, then established my vignette from that point.

 

 

 

 

candleabra

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5814_edited

A few leaves and pinecones got sprinkled around the pumpkins and gourds.

 

 

6

You can see the mottling on the gourds. It gives them so much interest and character.

 

 

 

 

 

 

sepia

Texture abounds with these photo effects.

 

~~~~~

I’m linking to Karin’s Centerpiece Wednesday,

Artie’s Vignette Fridays ,

and Laurie’s  A Few of My Favorite Things Saturday.

I’m sure they’ll appreciate your visits as much as I do!

24 comments:

Shelia said...

Oh, Sue, this is absolutely beautiful! I love everything and you have some of the most beautiful fallen items.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

Beautiful. I especially love the little ceramic pumpkin with the green leaf that stands up. That pumpkin is just the cutest!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I love it, Sue! I like your idea of off centering the vignette...that way you can use part of the table. Love your gourds and the twig pumpkin is just my favorite!! Are your ferns real? I love that idea and I also like your candelabra...it looks perfect with the arrangement.

I have to get started. Want to come and help?! ;-D

xoxo
Jane

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love every inch of it. Great layering and colors and height differences. I could kick myself for tossing to gourds last year that I had lying around for probably twenty years and never thought to use them this way. I originally bought them to have holes drilled in for bird houses and my husband never did it and then they got tossed. I love the patina of yours and yes they are quite costly now.

Debbie said...

You are so ready Sue. I love all your pictures too, you like to play with them, and I love that!

Twice as Nice said...

Looks fabulous as usual! By the way, how is hubby?

backporchmusings said...

Gorgeous Sue!!

I am lovin' your photo editing too!

I need to let you know, Back Porch Musings is at Typepad. The porch disappeared from blogger yesterday and I have a feeling it won't be back. In the middle of the night I went to typepad and started another blog.

Same name...backporchmusings.typepad.com

I hope you get a minute to drop by. It looks different but the content is the same. I'll be upgrading to a look similar to the old back porch, hopefully.

LUCKY 7 DESIGN said...

Thanks for the sweet comment. Yes I was surprised myself that it fit so well. I love everybit of your display, the colors are so my style. I will definately check out the leaf tutorial. I have a bag full of balls and was thinking of papering them but the leaf thing is so awesome! thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline said...

I just love this. The textures are amazing and the colors so rich. It definitely sets the fall mood. I do love the change of seasons even though it is hard to lose summer. You definitely captured fall. Can you come do this at my house????

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

How pretty Sue! Great job of arranging! You are motivating me to get in the mood to decorate for fall! We are going to the Backwoods Festival this weekend...that should really catapult me!~Hugs, Patti

Kristen White said...

Love your fall tablescape...it is gorgeous!
Kristen

La said...

I thought you were stagnant for ideas... This looks great, Sue. I especially like the twig pumpkin and the acorn.

Happy Fall! La

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It looks so pretty and so fall!

I think I need to make a leaf ball.

Kathy said...

Hi Sue - What a beautiful fall setting! I love the twig pumpkin.

Hope to see you at Springfield!

Hugs, Kathy

Red Couch Recipes said...

I love the warm and welcoming colors of your fall centerpiece and what a great variety you have. Just beautiful. Joni

Sharing with Sherri said...

For having trouble coming up with an idea you did GREAT Sue! I love the idea of the Fall colored fern leaves! You've also found a great variety of fall goodies to surround that gorgeous vase!

Hope you're enjoying some nice cool weather! It's wonderful here!

Hugs, Sherri:)

Vanessa said...

GORGEOUS! Ok, this totally makes me want to change up my dining room table again! This looks so warm and unique and I just love it! Thanks so much for the great inspiration as usual!
Vanessa
http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

Style Sisters said...

This just makes me want fall to get here even faster! Great use of colors and textures. Love the fall wreath ball and all the gords. Can't wait to do a fun fall tablescape soon.

Karin

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

It looks amazing... oh for a day when my little ones don't come along and tear everything I do apart!!!! ( I know... enjoy them... they grow fast!) I am lovin' the candlebra on the old books! Have a happy rest of the week.:)

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I think everything looks wonderful. I'm going to have to look at your leaf ball tutorial, I like that.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love your Fall decorations!! Wish I could say I had my Fall decor done - but not happening. I am behind, but have a beautiful new Granddaughter to make up for getting behind.

Balisha said...

To Sue my inspiration in decorating fun...
I need to get my "fall" out before the day is done.
The kids are all away now and finally back at school..
I see your pretty pictures and I begin to drool.
Today I'll get my "fall" on and then I'll be like you..
I'll look again at your ideas and maybe steal a few :)
Balisha

podso said...

It all looks so much like autumn. I almost can feel a chill in the air!

A Hint of Home said...

Your decorations are beautiful. I love the leaf ball and all your pumpkins and gourds.