Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall Door of Welcome

 
 
Photobucket 

click on button for link

Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia is hosting a linky party to show off her newly finished front door. 

Since our front entryway landscaping is under construction at this time, I opted to show you what the door looked like last fall.  Apologies for the re-run to those of you may have already seen it…. 

 

 front door1

I love the oval glass opening and the brass caming on our garnet colored door; it lets so much light into the foyer. Since neither Mr. Sullivan nor I are talented house/door painters, we opted for a factory painted finish when we purchased the new entryway five years ago. There are no brush strokes to mar the smooth finish of the surface.  Heaven help us if we decide to change door colors anytime in the future!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

front door 2

I filled a basket with  a variety of faux fall flowers- hydrangeas, sunflowers, chrysanthemums, and cat tails.  The colors really pop against  the background of the door.

Kristin mentioned in her post that she had painted her door hardware with Oil Rubbed Bronze paint. Hmmm… Wish I had thought of doing that before I went out and bought a new lockset last week. I guess I could always try painting the existing one to see how it turns out. I’d certainly be saving a fair amount of money that way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

dflycloche_thumb6_thumb3

My metal dragonfly cloche was filled with an assortment of dried leaves and fruits and accented the bottom of the table with larger dried gourds. 

 

~~~~~

 

I’m hoping the landscaping work will be done soon. I’ve had to hire someone new to do the work that was originally planned. I had been waiting over two weeks trying to deal with  a landscape contractor who never followed through on his work. Why, in these trying economic times when people say that they need work, don’t they just finish the job they started?

  I have a good feeling about the guy that will be doing the work now. “They” say things always work out for the best…

 

24 comments:

Leslie @ goodbye, house! HELLO, HOME! said...

Hi Sue!
If I were walking through your neighborhood, I'd stop to take a second look at your entrance!
It's so welcoming and warm.
AND I love red front doors!
A good contractor is HARD to find, so is a mechanic!
Once you find one, hang onto them for dear life, LOL!
Happy Autumn to you!
Hugs,
~me

Jo said...

Love the front door "look" I am having the same issue with getting someone to fix our window sills. It has been a constant battle - no calls when they say they will, don't show up when they will etc- this was a well known contractor in the area. We have someone give us a quote etc but still waiting for them to come do the work We ended up not having them do all the work we wanted done and will go w/ a nationally known company to do the shakes. If they did sills we have them do it but they don't Lets hope it gets done by winter. My sister in another part of the country is having the same issue with having her stairs repaired - not showing up when they say they will, calling at the last min etc Drives me wild!

Vanessa said...

Hi Sue! I love your front door! We are getting set to paint ours this weekend so I don't get to join Kristin's party but I am super excited about getting ours freshened up. Your hanging basket on the front door is making me re-think my fall wreath! I like that it is a little unexpected and it is so warm and welcoming!
Vanessa

Debbie said...

I want in! Sue you have such a lovely entrance. You know from the minute you step on the doorstep there is more warmth and love to come! Great job!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

Your basket arrangement is beautiful!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your entry is so pretty - loved seeing your pictures again.
I know exactly what you mean about dealing with repairmen/contractors!! :(

Marydon said...

I must have missed last year, Sue, but this is dreamy & elegant.

Have a great week ~
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

Blondie's Journal said...

Your entryway is gorgeous, Sue. The basket is so colorful and goes so well with the warm color of the door, which is fabulous. I love your little gourds, too!

Good luck with the contractor. Seems like good work is hard to find, and the ones that are working should consider themselves lucky!

Happy Wednesday!

xoxo
jane

Sarah said...

Good luck with your project. I certainly know about projects that keep on going. ;-)
Love your red door and all the fall touches look terrific. Hopefully you'll be putting them out soon this year.
Thanks for the visit to the QCI post. Stop by Hyacinths For The Soul too if you have time. ~ Sarah

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your door is such a pretty vignette of Fall! Very pretty Sue! YOu really have a way with styling and putting it all together. I have the same door, btw.~Hugs, Patti

designlove-cynthia said...

Thanks for the lovely comment. Your door is beautiful as well, and I love how the gourds pull the color over.
Love linkie parties...

Cindy
xo

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

I didn't get to see last year's door and your entry is beautiful!

A Hint of Home said...

You have such a pretty entrance. Love all your Fall decor.
I may have to try painting my lock. It could use a little sprucing.

Pat said...

I love your red door Sue. I also like the way you had it decorated last year. I finally got a wreath on our door. I thought if I waited till we got back from the road trip, it would Christmas before I managed to make a wreath.

Good luck with the landscaping.

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...

Sue, your front entry is beautiful! I love the floral on your door and your chrysanthemum is pretty!!!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Your door is beautiful and so were last year's decorations. I'm sure this year's will look great too. I'm glad you mentioned painting the lockset...we are changing all of our brass out of the house. We haven't replaced the front door set because they are so expensive. Hmm...

Kim said...

It looks fabulous! I adore the black urn with the mums. Very cute!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I'm loving your blog and your door! I'm so glad you linked up, it's so wonderful to meet new friends! Have a wonderful rest of your week :)
XO
Kristin

Sue said...

Hi Sue...beautiful front door...I do remember it from last year...and I love your floral arrangement...it's so nice that fall is finally here...now if we could just have weather below 90 down here in Atlanta we will be in business...

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Your door is beautiful Sue. If I saw it last year, I don't remember, but of course, I can't remember yesterday, I'm better at things 45 years ago :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Looks great Sue! I love the wire cloche... very chic!
Hope all is good with you. Things are peaceful here right now!

Hugs,Sherry

Pam said...

Oh, I love thos gourds. Very pretty. I think my favorite is the dragonflys on the bench. Very cute.

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Hi Sue, Thanks so much for dropping by my blog so that I could find yours & see these fantastic photos. I've gotten some good ideas! Great "meeting" you.

Warmly, Michelle

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Sue...your front door basket is gorgeous! I love the wire cloche and the sweet dragonfly. Such a welcoming entrance! :)
Hugs sweet friend...so good visiting here.
Susan