Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fall Cloches

 

 

collage 1

Fall is definitely here and the colors of this beautiful season have made their way into  the Sullivan and Murphy household!  I’ve been a little stymied for new ideas this year and there just hasn’t been a lot of spare time to do much cloche creating. What with work projects, on-call jury duty, a little thrift shopping, and getting #1 son off to California early this morning, I am just pooped! But without further ado, here are a few creations I whipped up the last couple of  days to add to my fall decor.

 

 

elevated cloche

Things were kept real easy peasy in this elevated metal cloche~  I plopped a small pumpkin smack dab in the middle of some dried oranges and apples and some mini pinecones. 

 

fall cloche25

The filigree edge around the cloche stand is a simple touch of elegance. Colorful candles on an tarnished silver tray finish the look.

 

 

 

3

The metal terrarium has evolved into a spooky home for two black crows and the idol they worship- the Black Pumpkin.  The pumpkin idol  has been elevated upon a silver chalice and the two cawing birds have perched on branches and gourds to protect it from intruders.

 

1

 

 

 

 

4

Here lies all that remains of an unwanted visitor into the House of Black Pumpkin. The black spider’s venom was undoubtedly the source of the poison that caused this poor fellow his untimely death.

 

5

 

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

7 

This vignette is made up of a centerpiece that graced my dining room tablescape last week. I used a 24 inch  swirled glass hurricane and placed a variegated brown/beige candle on top of a pile of coffee beans used to fill the globe’s base.

             

9

One of the faux antlers provides much needed texture to contrast with the smooth finish of the ceramic pumpkin. 

 

8

 

 

 

 

 

17

 As a tribute to the American Indians in New Mexico, this cloche is decorated with two pots designed and painted by Corn Silk, a Laguna Pueblo Native American Indian. The pottery reflects the rich, traditional heritage of the state known as the Land of Enchantment.

 

15

I surrounded the pots with a dried corn husk and two traditional food staples to New Mexico- red chile pods and dried blue corn posole. The pods are used to make red chile,  which is a Hispanic and Indian dish unlike no other. Note the spelling of the word chile- this is the traditional New Mexican way to spell it. This is not the chili that most of you know.

In northern New Mexico, where I grew up, it is a rich and thick flavorful sauce used to make specialty dishes, like enchiladas~  or it can be eaten alone. The chile is made with either steak or roast beef and the meat is shredded or cut into small cubes. No hamburger meat here!  

The dried posole is usually cooked with cubed pork and the addition of green chiles to create a wonderful side dish or soup.  The corn husk, though not a food item, is used in the making of tamales to wrap the cornmeal masa. A tamale is one  of my favorite New Mexican foods.  They are a time-consuming delicacy and are often served on special occasions and holidays.

 

19

The designs on the pottery are some of the traditional motifs used by the Laguna Indians.

 

13

 

 

 

 

12

Hootie, the latest addition to our feathered friends in the household, is visiting from the woods behind our property.  On cool, fall evenings, he can be heard screeching to us as we enjoy the warmth of the patio heater.  He stands on a bead of pinto beans, nuts, and pinecones. 

 

cloche

A more traditional  cloche features one of my favorite lock sets, a brown transferware butter pat, a vintage hankie, and some dried hydrangeas that turned a lovely shade of purple.

 

cloche2

 

cloche3

The large cloche sits  on a woven plate charger.

~~~~~

Once it gets closer to Halloween, I want to create a witch themed cloche, using something I purchased from my blogging friend, Lynn from The Vintage Nest.  Here’s a little hint…

witchbottlestick1

~~~~~

Linking to:

artie's party

 fall cloche party

inspiration friday

Seasonal Sundays - Fall copy

 

fav_thngs_cmbnd_thumb11_thumb1

 

 

 

                                                                            HOHbutton1

45 comments:

La said...

You HAVE been a very busy girl...and to think you were interrupted by your civic duty/privilege.

Have a wonderful evening, Sue. La

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Everything looks great! Lovin' Hootie:@)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Sue, you really have been busy decorating for fall. It looks very nice. You know what I noticed, especially? The antler! I've gotten to where I like antlers in displays and I have some real ones thanks to my husband!

Great job on your fall look. Mine needs lots more work!

Donna

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

Oh, my goodness, you have a talent! I love all the cloche displays. One to the next- they are wonderful.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Well for someone so busy you sure did fix up some mighty fine cloches and vignettes. I love the spooky terrarium. Like minds think alike, too I have added an antler to mine and will post it tomorrow.

A Hint of Home said...

You have so many pretty cloches and Fall decorations.
I like the idea of using the coffee beans.

Jemsmom said...

These are just gorgeous! I love the crows! I enjoyed learning about the Indian culture. How neat!

Polly said...

Hey there Sue! Any chance I might run into you at the Springfield Extravaganza tomorrow? Hope so!!!

Your cloches all look fabulous! I really like the scary spidery one!! and that last traditional one is wonderful!

I only have one cloche left! I did have three, but I broke two of them with the vacuum's wand! UGGG!!!

Take care,

Polly

Marlis said...

All your vignettes are wonderful. Love the pottery and the posole. We just got home from Santa Fe last weekend and I'm already ready to go back!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

WoW! You have done a lot of decorating for Fall and a great job! I think my favorite will be the first one with the pumpkin on the fruit. I have not even started - used pics. from last year.
Have a great weekend.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Meant to add - I do enjoy your blog music. On many blogs that have music I hit the mute button, but not on yours.

LUCKY 7 DESIGN said...

Hi Sue, what lovely vignettes. Theyre all different and I love them all. The spooky one is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Sue, this is beautiful. My husband and I love that pottery. My mother in law collects Native American Pottery and we all agreed the black pottery by the Laguna is so gorgeous. What a wonderful job you have done...love the Halloween touches too!
Blessings,
Debbie

Debbie said...

That is gorgeous Sue...you have so may pretty cloches displayed in such a unique way. Really gave me some neat ideas too.

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! What wonderful displays! You've got elegant one and fun Halloween ones! Very creative, friend.
be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Karen said...

Your metal cloche is very nice and I have to get a terrarium. I have no idea where I'd put it, but I love it. My favorite part is the door knob/lock. I am definitely copying that idea :)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello sweet lady...

Bless your heart, you do sound pooped out...but you sure did pull off some fabulous cloches, Girlfriend! I really enjoyed each and every pretty cloche! I think my favorite is the one with the book and ornate silver door knob...it's sooo pretty, Sue! Girlfriend, I loved getting another peek at your fabulous table centerpiece! It really is gorgeous...I love everything about it! Thank you for sharing your pretties with us today...get some rest, Darlin'!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Patti said...

Lovely fall arrangements...I especially like the terrarium as well as the owl! Nicely done!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Sue I am so impressed. All of your cloches are decorated so beautifully and your vignettes are stunning. I really enjoyed the history too. Even though I live in Az., so much I don't know about the SW. Gorgeous displays. Thanks for joining the party, this is such fun and you are so creative. Hugs, Marty

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....Wow...you have been busy making fall vignettes! I, on the other hand only think about what to put in a vignette....oh well. That's as far as I have got so far this season. Hopefully, I will actually produce something this weekend. Btw....you are so CREATIVE!~Hugs, Patti

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Everything looks beautiful! That little owl is too cute.

Cloches haven't hit Idaho yet. I know~what's taking so long?

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sue, Your Fall and Halloween decorations are wonderful! Love the cloches and terrarium.

Pat said...

These are all fabulous, Sue!

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

Beautiful details! I love the halloween display, and the cute owl, great job!

Brenda Kula said...

Oh my, how fun that terrarium is! You're so good at this stuff. I eyed a terrarium on a stand at an antique mall, but it was rather pricey. Went in two or three times to eye it some more. But they won't come down from the $85 price tag. Which it's probably worth. You have inspired me here with your colorful and imaginative decorating!
Brenda

someplace in thyme said...

What fun you must have had putting together the spooky cloches. I love everything and every piece. Your terrarium is magical, Char

Nancy said...

Sue,

Each of your cloche vignettes are so beautiful and unique. The Indian pots, the owl, the scary terrarium...they are all so creative. I am especially fond of the last one with the little butter pat and book standing in the back. That is just beautiful!

Nancy

Becca said...

Hi Sue ... your cloches are amazing! I love how you've filled them in so many unique ways! Very inspiring! Take care, Becca

Maggie B said...

Hi Sue,
Visiting you for the first time today and just wanted to say that I think all of your cloche vignettes are wonderful, so varied, colouful and interesting.
I especially liked the hurricane lamp with the large candle.
I'm learning so much about cloche displays through Marty's party.
Thanks for the inspiration.

xinex said...

Your fall decor is all so beautiful, Sue. Your cloches are filled with wonderful things, some of them really spooky. I love the metal terrarium, love the keys in one of them and the owl and so on....Christine

Diann said...

Everything looks just wonderful Sue! I love that you used different types of things to showcase in your cloches. It makes it so much more interesting!

Have a wonderful weekend!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Sweet Sue!

How lovely to have you over for a visit.. :-) Things are finally starting to return to normal here. My grandson's back in school now so I have a little bit of time to get back to blogging.... I've missed being here.

I love all of your yummy fall displays..... And, that terrarium is just fabulous. I would soooo love to have one of those.

I've missed you!

Warm huggies!!
Spencer

Alicia said...

Wow Sue...I can't believe you put all this together and still had time for everything else. You astound me woman!

I love Hootie, he's so sweet!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I always love to see what you group together. You have such a talent for taking the ordinary and making it so special and for grouping items that have nothing in common and making them look so great together. All of your cloches look wonderful, and that Indian pottery is beautiful! Thank you so much for linking this to Favorite Things Sat. laurie

Lindy said...

My favorite? All of them but especially the last one with the book and the door knob. Adorable.

Mary said...

Love your spooky terrarium~ complete with remains of the unwanted visitor :-)

Sarah said...

You've been busy! All your cloche vignettes are great. My favorite is the one withe the lock set and transferware butter pat. Nice job! ~ Sarah

dogsmom said...

How do you get it all done?
This has been an ispirational post for sure. Ideas and just amazement at your talent and energy.

I can imagine a visitor to your home admiring a cloche or vignette and an entire story unfolding.

Kathleen said...

You did a beautiful job on your cloches! You have the knack!
I want to know how you got that owl from your backyard to come pose in your cloche!!
I am glad you and Mr. S. and getting out and about!

We just got back from apple picking with the 4 grands. Oh boy, the bees were out if full force. It is a summer day here, they are out on the boat now and I am finally getting to sit down!

Your home must b gorgeous! So many beautiful touches!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Oh Sue, all of your cloches look so pretty and perfect for Fall. I haven't even begun to decorate for Fall yet. Between starting back to school, and our little trip, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I love your little spooky setting. It reminds me of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Average Girl said...

Great photos...

Happy Sunday to you!

Tracy

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Wow! I think you've covered everything from lovely to spooky! How cool!

The Tablescaper said...

Wow! Have you been busy! You have some very elegant and gracious creations and some spooky ones. Lots of insiration.

Thanks for being a party of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Turley Times said...

I just wanted to let you know that I stole, I mean borrowed, :) your decorating with beans idea for my fall fireplace mantel. I linked back to your post to share the love. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Hannah

Laura said...

It looks like we both have a liking for owls! Love your Fall decorating! Lx