Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Extravaganza Ecstatic

 

I attended the Springfield Extravaganza over the weekend and I came away with everything I went looking for! I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to find the treasures I was hunting, but luck prevailed and I now own both a vintage spritzer bottle and a wrapped wine jug. 

 seltzer bottle

I have been looking for one of these seltzer bottles for several months but have been unable to find one in the price range I felt comfortable paying. I’ve seen them being sold for $38 upwards to $100- but I knew I could do better if I was diligent.   I’m glad I waited because I found this Romanian bottle for only 12.99. I did a little happy dance when I saw the price tag!

.

1

I couldn’t believe it was so heavy when I picked it up to show Mr. Sullivan my discovery. Turns out it is half-full of whatever was originally in the bottle! I originally saw it in the booth around noon, but I waited until we were done shopping and were ready to head home before I purchased it. It would have been pretty awkward to carry it around the fairgrounds for a couple of hours. I think when I go to the show in the spring, I’ll buy one of those lined carts so I can haul my purchases around more easily. 

 

 5

I found his wrapped wine jug, with its label intact, at the same booth where I bought the bottle. Although I know I didn’t visit every vendor at the fairgrounds, it was the only place I saw selling them.I hope the dealer  will be back in the spring so I can buy one that has double handles. 

.

7

It’s a single handled jug and I only paid $ 30 for it.  The dealer was also selling the ginormous jugs, as well. They were about two and a half feet tall and sold for $175. I wouldn’t even know where to put something that large!

~~~~

Just to give you an idea of how expensive these wine bottles really are, here is what is available in the Pottery Barn catalog~

demijohn

 

                                                 Found Woven Wine Bottle

                                                                                $99.00 – $279.00

Glass bottles like these, called demijohns, were originally used for storing wine in the villages of Transdanubia, a wine-harvesting region of Hungary. During the early 20th century, they were often wrapped with willow branches for durability and easy transport over long distances.

  • Textural wicker is woven by hand.
  • Each vintage bottle has slight variations that make it entirely unique.
  • Handles on the bottles may vary from single to 3 handles as each is hand woven.
  • Quantities are limited.
  • Catalog / Internet Only.

~~~~~

I bought several other things at the show and I’ll show them as soon as I get my vignettes done.

I’m joining Debbie and Rhoda at their linky parties.

Stop by for a visit and share some comment love.

linky party     SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb

.

31 comments:

La said...

I've been waiting to see these two beauties. The wrapped wine bottle is fantastic.

Have a great week, my friend. La

Blondie's Journal said...

I love the seltzer bottle! What do you think is in there? Duh...seltzer? What will you do with it?

I also love the covered jug, it reminds me of a bottle of sangria!! Very neat! I'm so glad you had fun. Most of the fairs in our area have come and gone, especially since Labor Day.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

xoxo
Janie

K@The Thrifty Teacher said...

Wow! Great finds =)

I have always wanted one of those carts too, but then I will probably buy up everything!

K@The Thrifty Teacher said...

Wow! Great finds =)

I have always wanted one of those carts too, but then I will probably buy up everything!

Jo said...

What a lucky lady! Your finds are fabulous.

Jo

Susan said...

What wonderful finds!!

Pat said...

Great finds, Sue. I'd love to find a bargain seltzer bottle.

Pat said...

Forgot to tell you...that's a bottle of Prosecco under the cloche on the wine cabinet.

Sherry said...

Oh, that wine jug is gorgeous! I haven't seen a label on one.
Sherry

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I do like your bottles. I remember using the wrapped bottles as candle holders and the wax dripping down (60's early 70's). If I had known they would become that valuable, I would have kept mine. :-D
I think I am telling my age. Oooops!:-D
Have a great week.

Debbie said...

That seltzer bottle is awesome...how funny that would have been to carry it around though just for fun. Great bottle too with the wicker wrap...I guess that is what it is right? I know they are very expensive...it fits so well with your home. Great fun you had. Thanks for joining me....Debbie

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

That wrapped wine jug is incredible!!

Kathy said...

Sue - it was great seeing you and Mr. Sullivan this weekend! I'm glad you were successful in your search at the market... Looking forward to a get-together one of these days - SOON!! :)

Have a wonderful week!

Kathy

Lori E said...

Very cool finds. Don't drink what is in the green bottle okay.
I have never seen a wine bottle wrapped like that. Portuguese it says.
I have had the wrapped Chianti bottles from Italy before.

Alicia said...

Wow Sue, I'm so happy for you! They both look great, especially the wine bottle! And you gave me a great idea. I have a beautiful cloche my cousin gave me and I haven't displayed it because I've been looking for a large crystal plate to place it on, but I love the way you have it on a bamboo charger. Thanks Doll!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue.....I really wanted to go the extravaganza, but things did not work out. Living in Zanesville, has really put a crimp in doing stuff I used to do. lol. Looks like you had a good time and found some real treasures! Speaking of those carts, I have my parents cart that we bought for them when they got to be a certain age and I want to make a liner for it too so when I go to these kind of venues Carmen won't have to lug it around....he can just "pull" it...lol. Have a great week and "Happy Fall"~Hugs, Patti

Terra said...

How cool that your shopping trip was so successful.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, you know I love the demijohn and that seltzer bottle. I have looked at those seltzer bottles, too, but not sure where to put one so I haven't bought one. Those prices are all over the place. The cheapest I have seen is $28. You got a real good deal!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

woo - hoo! love the spritzer!

Julie. . . Gathered Comforts said...

It was great to see you at Springfield, thanks so much for stopping by our booth. Hope to see you at the Country Living Fair in Columbus!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Good for you Sue! It paid to be patient, didn't it? I love a successful shopping trip. What great finds..

Huggies,
Spencer

A Hint of Home said...

I had no idea how expensive the wine holders were.
A cart would be a good idea to make your shopping easier.
Looks like you're off to a great week.

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I think it is great you found what you were looking for! How often does that happen?? Love the wine jug.

Kathleen said...

Wow, those are unique! I wouldn't know what to look for!
But I'll keep my open at the Outlet for those wrapped bottles now that you've educated me!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Love those covered wine bottle! The one with the label is spectacular. Glad you had such a perfect day!!

Big hugs,Sherry

Dawn said...

Love the bottles, they remind me of wine country here. By all means, get one of those carts! I got mine at OSH and love it. I've even used it to haul gallons of punch to my daughter's class which is far from any of the campus parking lots. I'd like to make a linning for it though so it can hold small things too. I saw one lady who had a beautiful cover that had pockets on the outsides and even a velcro cover over the top. Like a ginormous purse on wheels LOL!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, what lucky finds! I especially love that label on the wine jug - that makes it so unique and pretty. I have a little wrapped wine jug somewhere. I may cheat and find a label on the internet to print off and put on mine! Both of these finds were such great deals.
You asked about my little Fall village. Years ago, I found it in one of those flea market places - the type where you think there might really be fleas! When I walked in, I thought "Yuk! I won't find anything in here." But, as you can see, I did, and I've used it every year since. Thanks for your visit. You are always so kind. laurie

Sarah said...

Sue, these are great finds. I've seen the demijohns on several blogs, but haven't seen any when I've been out and about shopping. Pehaps I'll see some at the Round Top Shows next week. Nice post! ~ Sarah

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You found some killer deals! Love the wicker wrapped demijohn. It's so pretty with the label intact.

Susie Q said...

I have always wanted one of those covered wine bottles! This one is utterly glorious! What a find missy!
I so wanted to go to the Extravaganza...alas...football and cheering took precedent. Dang. Maybe the next one??

You still up to go to the Country Living Show this Saturday??
Hope you will join us! I would love that.

Love,
Sue

Custom Comforts said...

Sue,
I wasn't sure what you were talking about in comment, so I'm glad to see them on your blog. I don't remember seeing anything like that at all.
If you are interested in a wire basket on wheels, I have one I can sell you. I bought one there for $20 that has a very cute blue patchwork liner. Only one problem for me, I'm too tall for it and had to spend my whole day slightly bent over to use it. I tried to get a vender to trade me for a taller one with no liner and he would not and I could not justify buying another one, so it's just hanging in my garage. If you're interested in it, I could send you a picture. It's really cute and I thought it was a great price considering someone had to piece together all those patches and then they lined it too. And it even ties shut. Just let me know.
Cindy