Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The weather’s been hot, but I got cool finds…

 

I hit one of the best yard sales ever on Wednesday, and on Thursday, and again on Friday. Every day there was more new stuff being brought out. And everyday, I kept going back to see it.  It was a continuation of the sale I visited here.  The owner owned a consignment store and was a home stager, but she was getting rid of all of her stock. Wow! She had furniture, lamps, accessories, and more.

 

 

 

lamp

I usually order my lamps when I go to the High Point Furniture market, but occasionally I have need for something right away. This was the case with the chrome desk lamp I found for $8.00. It’s a touch on/off lamp, with dimmer capabilities and it looks to be brand new! 

 

 

 

cigar box

I added this wooden cigar box to the tabletop, as well.  It was  25 cent purchase.  Although it’s standing on end now, it could easily be used for storage of small trinkets.

 

 

 

 

 

 

mirror1

Hiding behind a stash of someone else’s goodies in the garage were  two large mirrors that I knew I had to have.  They’re four feet tall and about two feet wide, and although they are now burnished gold, I definitely plan on painting them. Not sure what color yet, however.  They are heavy wood mirrors and they will help fill the wall on either side of the baker’s rack in the great room. They were a great price at only $17 each.

 

 

 

 

 

 

rattan table

But the star of the sale was this rattan table and four chairs for $32.oo. Yup- you read it right! For the entire set! Not bad at all, wouldn’t you say?

The finish will be darkened up with stain a little, and I’ll make new seat cushions, too. More new jobs for my “free” time. I like the idea of covering it with a scrunched  throw and adding candlesticks and a bowl of  alphabet/number balls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

table detail

I like the simple design of the tabletop.

 

 

 

 ~~~~~

There were other purchases, but I’ll be saving them for later. Look for one at Barb’s Rooster Party.  Instead, you get to see a couple of things I found at a smaller sale last weekend.

 

 

 silver ladle

I found this large silver plated ladle at a neighborhood yard sale for a mere$1.50. I guess I need to break out the ol’ toothbrush and silver polish once again.

 

 

 

 

 

wine santa

It was definitely Christmas in July finding this wine chef Santa.  Complete with a wine bucket, wine list, a goblet, and some breadsticks, he cost me two whole buckeroos!

 

 

 

 

chairs

And this pair of brand new chairs was FREE to me, courtesy of the hubs!!!   Mr. S was having a tent sale at his store and he unearthed them from the warehouse.  My plans call for some rub and buff to age them up in the appropriate places.  I have just the spot for them under a sofa table. Great for extra seating at parties.

 ~~~~~

I’m linked up with some of my favorite parties again this week. Please visit their hostesses and share in the fun. I’m sure you’ll get to see a lot of fun finds.

 

shoppingbagpic2                                                                                       SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb

 

 

 

thriftthursday

31 comments:

Lori E said...

Get out!!!! 32.00? Get out!!!!!! Oh my word that was a good deal. You have found some great stuff.

La said...

The rattan set is wonderful and I love the chairs you hubby picked up. You hit the jackpot! La

Nancy's Notes said...

Get out, is right!! I am sitting her with my jaw wide open, what a steal! You did great! I can't wait to see the chairs when you recover them, know they will look awesome! I have to say, I love that ladle!

Have a great Sunday!

Nancy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

$32.00 !?!? Dang - I need to go shopping with you!

Terra said...

You are the Queen of Bargains. Wow, I enjoy seeing your finds. The rattan table will be so cute when you stain or paint it.

Susan said...

OMG I cannot even believe you got that tableset for 38.oo. What a steal!! How you decorated the top is so unique!!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You SCORED! Great stuff~love the mirrors.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

You found some wonderful things, Sue. I absolutely love the rattan table and chairs!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue...You have been really busy out finding some great deals! Love that rattan table and chairs and the price! Wow! Are you still planning on going to Mansfield next Saturday? I am leaning that way as of today. I will know more as the week progresses.~Hugs, Patti

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Oh my goodness! I would definitely say you hit the jackpot! I just kept reading and scrolling down and your items just got better and better! Love the table and the mirror.

Now you’re making me want to test my luck a few garage sales this week!

Kendra “Domestic Princess in Training”

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

I CANNOT believe you got the table and chairs that cheap! She might as well have given them away. You lucky girl you!
Brenda

Shirley said...

$32.00!!!. $32.00!!!!!, $32.00!!!!!!!!!!! You've got to be kidding me!!! That was the best buy I've seen yet!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Wow, great deal on the table & chairs. That's a steal. You found some awesome things. Glad you had a fun week.

Jo said...

What great finds! Love the table and chairs...hmmm are you thinking orb for the mirrors? I bought some this w/e - not sure yet what is getting the royal treatment

Kelee Katillac said...

Great stuff Sue! Love the mirror and chairs!

Wow!

love,kelee

Kathleen said...

Did you just happen to have a moving van with you?
What great bargains you found! I know you will make beautiful use of them! I just love that table set!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I can't believe the haul...the table and chairs are fabulous, the pair of free chairs and the mirrors. You hit the jackpot! Linda

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH you really did get some fabulous finds there Sue! I mean that rattan table and chairs just made me so envious!! And that santa, just so cute! Great finds~
Cindy

Diann said...

OMG! you did fantastic! What great finds! That table and chairs were a steal!! And I have to say, I LOVE the Santa! I collect large Santas and I would have snatched him up in a heart beat!!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

You did find some great deals! Love the table and chairs and the price...amazing!

Kim said...

I would say you got some amazing deals. I <3 the mirror.

Pam said...

Wow. That dining table and chairs was the deal of the century. And I always pick up old solver when I find it. For some reason other people are trying to get rid of it now days and I just love the look of it.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Thanks for visiting from Debbiedoos! you are the thrifty queen, I would have went back everyday too! That table was a score!!

Carol

Patti said...

Love the table and chairs...and especially how you displayed the candles and bowl on top...and the ladle was a steal - lucky you

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

THIRTY TWO dollars??? WOW! What an amazing find... Can't wait to see the new cushions too.

Love the white chairs too..and the price was really right, wasn't it?

Huggies,
Spencer

MessyMissy said...

Nice finds!! For the ladel: have you ever tried dipping silverware in a pan of hot water, lined with aluminum, and mixed with a whole bunch of baking soda. It polishes them amazingly, with out any harsh chemicals!! Fun fact. :-) I use it all the time.

DogsMom said...

That Mr S sure is a sweetie! Go give him a big hug.
Like the others, I am amazed at $32. The glass top alone is worth that. Can't wait to see what you bring to the Rooster party!
I am so against smoking, and hate all the Marlboro merch but cigar boxes still hold a fascination. They are just so versitile.

Unintentionally Unemployed said...

Wow, such wonderful finds! My "do not covet thy neighbor's goods" moment :-) was the ladle; I looked high and low for pretty silver serving pieces for a wedding shower I recently gave. Lovely!

Mary Ellen said...

Love your chairs and the ladle was a steal!!

Your story of putting the vinyl upside down was so funny- I bet you were glad it was on something like a mirror so you could turn it upside down!!!

blessings
mary

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Lord Have Mercy!! You are THE luckiest thing in the world! LOVE those mirrors and that silver ladle!!!! LOVE those chairs!!! What a sweet husband!!

And the rattan table and chairs? The ones for $32.00? Yeah...I have no words!! I am simply out of adjectives!

Lucky dog!

Lou Cinda :)

janet said...

Oooo...the ladle , chairs and mirror are my favorites!! Hope you are keeping cool this summer ;-)

Janet xox