Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Perfect Sale

 

I was hoping that there wouldn’t be storms forecast for Kathy’s Vintage Market Day in Mansfield, Ohio this weekend, and sure enough- the weather cooperated. While there was no “perfect storm,”  there was, instead,  “the perfect sale” on Saturday.  Kathy joined forces with a group of friends and held the first annual “occasional sale” for her Nostalgia’s Cottage business.

Kathy is, in her own words, “a collector of many things who was born to junk” and she says her personal style is cottage/beachy/shabby chic. She and her gal pal, Terri, buy old furniture and great vintage junk, then paint or re-purpose it to  resell at flea markets.

When I arrived in Mansfield early yesterday morning, I found oodles of merchandise on display and I just didn’t know where to begin looking! Once I started my pile of bargains though, I just kept adding to it. Here are some of the things I purchased at the show.

button bouquet

Kathy creates these adorable “button bouquets” and plants them in all kinds of vases. My earth toned bouquet is a silver bud vase tied up with eyelet ribbon.

button

Aren’t these little “flowers” just so cute?

 

clock parts

Kathy and her junking partner, Terri, found a huge collection of clocks and parts while on one of their excursions. I selected a few clock faces and gears to display in a small compote dish. 

 

timer

I also found this red timer amongst the pile of clocks she had for sale. I set it in my kitchen on the black hutch, where it contrasts well with my display of white dishes.

 

 

butto  paperweight 

Creating paperweights was a recent project for Kathy. This one is on the same table as my button bouquet.  What a sweet combination.

 

 

mirror

I can always use another narrow mirror for parfums or miscellaneous bathroom items. This will probably get a coat of Oil Rubbed Bronze.

 

 

shutters 

The color of this pair of shutters just made me smile and they’ll be perfect in the blue guest room behind the twin size iron headboard.

 

shutters2 

I love the gentle arch and the chalky, gray-blue color.

 

tea set 

I’ve been looking high and low for a reasonably priced silver coffee/tea set. This one fit the bill just perfectly. Although an oval tray came with the set, I set these pieces on the large sterling tray I found last fall. Remember it- the one that weighs almost 13 pounds?

 

patti and kathy

Here are Kathy and another fellow Ohio blogger, Patti, from Crystal Rose Cottage. Patti and her husband drove up from Zanesville. It was so fun to finally meet her in person. I briefly met up with Lori (La) from A Musing Potpourri. She was a whirlwind shopper and I didn’t see too much of her! Plus, she was with friends and they were off to the flea market in town. Hopefully, we’ll get another chance to meet up and chat.

 Kathy and I are still hoping that a group of us will be able to meet and enjoy one another’s company sometime this fall, when activities slow down and there’s a cool bite to the air.  It’s something to look forward to since there were so many girls who couldn’t make it to this show.

Hope everyone stays cool in this hot summer weather! I’m linking up with several parties. Please pay their hostesses a visit on their appropriate party days and show them some comment love.

 

 

 

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb                             thriftthursday

 

 

 

 

shoppingbagpic2                                            linky party

29 comments:

La said...

Oh Sue! I like that narrow mirror. I wish I could have spent more time with you and met Patti. Next time for sure.

Have a great week my friend! La

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Be still my heart...those shutters! Wow!

Loved all your finds Sue!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue! I love those shutters! The arched tops are really pretty! They will look great behind your iron bed! It was so much fun spending time with you yesterday...so glad we finally got to meet!~Hugs, Patti

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

I love the button flowers, but the shutters are to die for. Great find.

Twice as Nice said...

Looks like you got some great buys. If you ever get tired of looking at those shutters, call me...I'll be sitting by the phone! LOVE THEM

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great finds. Love the clock faces and those shutters are super.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

We really need to live closer to each other....I would so have loved this sale...you got some great stuff! I love that paperweight and those shutters!! The silver tea set! 2die4!!

You did so awesome girl!

I am so jealous...

Lou Cinda :)

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Oh, those shutters! They're perfect! You really scored!

I like the buttons flowers, too.

Jennifer said...

you got some really cute stuff!!! Love the shutters!!!

Kathy said...

Sue - What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing your day! I'm SO glad you were able to come to our first occasional show! I loved spending some time with you and helping you shop! I didn't know you got the shutters - I loved them too!!! Hope you share pics when you put them in your guest room. Thanks for your help too!!! :) I'm looking forward to a fall junk outing - and of course Springfield too!

Hugs to you my friend!

Kathy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Nice finds! I want to try the rubbed bronze on something soon.
Have a great week.

Debbie said...

Cool, cool cool!~ You are the second gal I read that went to this sale...looked great, I am envious! Great clock faces and how you have them displayed. Thanks for joining in on this HOT party:) Hot it is here in the Carolinas! Debbie

Susie Q said...

Oh!! You went!!! I wanna go, I wanna go so you have to go again. Please???
Cool stuff Suey, very cool!

dogsmom said...

Very much worth your ride!
That Kathy is a very creative person. She sees the possibilities.
The shutters reminded me of the swinging saloon doors I had in my first house. Mom and I loved them, my Dad thought we girls were nuts.

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Sue, Thanks for visiting my blog. The bottles were attached with liquid epoxy. I like it because it dries clear and does not take long to dry. Have a great day!!! Sherry

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sue, those shutters! That's all I can see, can't get past those gorgeous shutters. Lucky you!!

Dawn said...

Great shopping dear! I just love that paperweight! And oh those arched shutters!

Great minds think alike! I just posted about a fall get-together in California!
Hugs,
Dawn

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Those are some wonderful finds Sue! Boy, those shutters and that tea set are awesome!!
Stay cool!
Cindy

Manuela@TPOH said...

Those shutters are just too fabulous! Great color and great shape! Sounds like a fun shopping day!
Manuela

Pam said...

Those shutters are amazing. Love the color. The button paperweight is very interesting too.

I had every intention of making it up there, but my son got sick on Friday so that plan went out the window and I had to stay closer to town (my hubby can only stand puke for so long). Glad you had a great time!

Anita@GoingALittleCoastal said...

I wish I could have gone to that sale. I am in love with those shutters. I have been looking for some that are tall like that. The color is just perfect too. So jealous!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Oh goodness what a sweet picture at the start of this post. Just charming. :)

I bet you had a GREAT time at that sale. What fun.

I was so pleased you stopped by 47th Street to visit me!

Donna

Sherrie said...

Where do you get and use rubbed bronze? I am interested. Love the shutters. I could think of a dozen ways to use them.

Sherrie said...

Found the post. Love the product. Love what you did. Guess where I am going tonight after work? Thanks.

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Great finds! Wish I could have been there! Yes, those shutters will look great in my house...oh, you meant in your house? {sigh} When you tire of them, please send them my way! :)

Amy

Patti said...

great finds...just love the button flowers!

Anonymous said...

What great photos, I love the button flowers and the shutters.

awal.ny said...

Oh those clock faces, I would love to get my hands on a dish full for sure. Those shutters are great too.

Denise Marie said...

another great post! Genuinely nice peeps are hard to come by aren't they. lol

Love the button bouquet idea.