Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

My Tobacco Basket Looks Smokin’….

Yesterday, I told you that I was planning on incorporating the tobacco basket that I bought last summer into a re-do of the top of the entertainment units in my great room.

 

inspiration basket_thumb[2][4]

The basket has been stored in the garage for about a year, so it needed a good cleaning to remove all the cobwebs from its nooks and crannies. It was not until I gave it a spray bath with the garden hose that I was able to get them all out. I let it dry in the sun, and since it was another hot day here in Ohio, it dried pretty quickly. I wasn’t satisfied with its dull look, however, so I sprayed it with a clear coat finish. I was much happier with the way it looked after that.  It was so humid out that the lacquer took a while to dry. While I waited, I worked on the vases I purchased over the weekend. You can read about them in this post.

 

 

inspiration_thumb[5]

This is the inspiration photo for using the tobacco basket in the great room. It came from the last year’s cover for the June issue of Traditional Magazine.

 

 

small vase

This is the smaller of the two vases I bought. I liked the pattern on the body, but hated the gold neck. So, I painted it with my go-to spray paint-  oil rubbed bronze.

 

painted vase

Here you see it all taped up and waiting to dry.  Classy background in the garage, huh?

 

lg vase

This is the before picture  of the  reddish brown, metal vase.  It was just calling to be painted.

 

 

 

 

vase 

I sprayed it completely in ORB.  What a transformation!

 

 The top of the entertainment unit before I started my re-do was pretty darn bare since I had edited it to use some items for another room. I was left with a very boring and empty top, and since the room has 18 foot ceilings, the wall above the unit looked really bare. This is where the tobacco basket came in.

 

basket

I centered it in the middle unit and placed a copper tub in front of it. The newly sprayed large vase went on one side and a single candle holder flanked it on the other.

 

candlestick

This candlestick was a thrifted find last fall. Originally brass, it got a coat of ORB to make it look more contemporary. The candle is wrapped in birch bark.

 

copper tub

The tub is actually a beverage holder that I bought on clearance at Target a few years ago.

 

L

On the left bookcase is the armillary, placed on top of a bamboo trunk. It gives the unit more height and its arm points upward to the featured tobacco basket.

 

armillary

It’s a rusty, iron piece that came from a going out of business sale.

 

spools

The spools are from a collection that I purchased at several different yard sales. They were so reasonable. The interestingly shaped one on the left was the most expensive one at $3.00. I bought the framed picture in the background at another shop that went out of business last year.  Gee, was the economy that bad?

 

R

The smaller vase sits on the right side bookcase alongside a trio of small suitcases.  You can see that I left the body of the vase exactly as I found it and I only sprayed the vase’s neck. It added much more contrast than the previous gold color.

 

luggage

Here’s a close-up of the three suitcases.

 moss ball

I made the moss ball last week while sitting at my new table in the laundry room. I hot glued sheet moss to a 5” styrofoam ball and placed it in a simple iron vase.

 

top 

This is the finished look. Don’t you think it looks smokin’ hot?

I played around with re-arranging various accessories for the better part of the day. Why does it always take so long? I kept getting up and down the ladder to see every adjustment. Klutzy me even tripped backwards onto the floor two times from the bottom rung. I have to remember NOT to place baskets and suitcases right at the foot of the ladder! 

The only thing I hurt was my pride, but I did knock over a lamp on the end table nearest the left bookcase. It, in turn, hit a glass vase which broke into smithereens. The vacuum cleaner is still awaiting me…Tomorrow is yard sale day and I have a great one to go to. It’s more decorator items from the same household where I bought my  two vases last week. Can’t wait!

Won’t you please stop over and visit the following blogs for their parties to see what inspiration you can find.

Lots of eye candy here!

 

                                                                 click on the button to visit

Pay Gina a visit to see some great transformations.

transformation-thursday-button2

click on the button to visit

This is one fun place to see a lot of ideas.

Stop over and pay Debbie a visit!

 

linky party

click on the button to visit

Here’s Artie’s new party! Go check it out.

vf

click on the button to visit

41 comments:

Jo said...

I didn't know the names of the tobacco baskets before - have seen them around - I like it with the clear spray - it cleaned up well. I like the orb spray paint I'm thinking abt spraying the brass tea set the girls gave me not really into the brass but love the set I thought my sister and I were the only ones who fiddled w displays (do you also adjust curtains a bizzillion times)I really really like the 3 suitcases. Pls be careful, don't want you getting hurt!

Alicia said...

Oh Sue, it does look smokin hot! I especially love those suitcases! And what a difference a little spray paint made on those vases. Great job!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! I love your tobacco basket! Did you see the one in my last post about Beaufort, NC? Now I want one, too! lol Your cabinet looks great! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue I need that basket...you do have my addy right ha ha!! Girl this looks just wonderful now...you are always so busy and come up with the best stuff...Love the way you put it all together Sue...and your right it's Smokin' now...Hugs and smiles to ya my friend...Gl♥ria

Kathleen said...

Beautiful! What a great job you did!
But you be careful...remember last time?? Your head? I do!

Lori E said...

You wouldn't fall all over if you weren't inhaling fumes.
It looks great. You have a real good eye.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Wow...everything looks so beautiful! The basket is the perfect backdrop for all of your other goodies! Love it!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Terra said...

Oh yeah, it is smokin' hot. I hadn't heard of ORB before, it gives a wonderful new finish. The smaller vase is especially pretty. Did you say you fell twice! Careful lady, please.

Hilary said...

I love the layering of different things... it keeps the eye moving. Fabulous job!;o) p.s. great basket!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue.....You have got to quit falling, girl!...You really get into your decorating! lol.....Seriously, I love what you did to those vases. I love that paint! I redid a little something recently myself. I have just been putting off posting. I like the tobacco basket with the finish on it too....gives it more dimension! Everything looks great!~Hugs, Patti

Marydon said...

Sue ~ Absolutely beautiful transformation of the vases & the tobacco basket is fabulous.

Have a lovely week ~
TTFN~ Marydon

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I think it looks great! I really like the redo on the vases. Please be careful - remember the last bad fall you had?!?

Jan LaFollette said...

Love the tabacoo basket and have always wanted one but they are not something you see in the PNW very often, that makes them even more special to me! Love the new arrangement and envy 18 foot ceilings. Smokin, is right!

Kathy said...

My goodness, I am convince now to find ORB! The look I think is better than the inspiration!
Terrific job!
Kathy

Kim said...

Your new arrangement looks amazing! You have thoroughly convinced me to paint some old brass candlesticks ORB :).

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Gorgeous. I love the entire vignette. The baskets, the vases and all the wonderful textures of everything. So pretty and such interesting items to look at. Serious eye candy. Thanks so much for joining TTT. I may have to copy some of this. I really do like it. Hugs, Marty

La said...

All your hard work and treacherous navigation of the ladder paid off. It is stunning!

Sue said...

Hi Sue....this is a great example of More is better then Less....it looks wonderful..what a differance you made buy adding more stuff to the top...the tobacco basket tied everything together...great job!!..
Sue.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, this looks so pretty, and you are just soooo smart! You've got a talented trigger finger with that spray painter. You sound like me when I try to arrange something from a ladder (up and down and fall and start over again). Be careful! laurie

Sandra said...

Love the new arrangements with basket and new jars...lots of interesting textures and things to look at and appreciate. Great job!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Wonderful transformation! Love it! Love that tobacco basket! Great job! Glad you didn't hurt yourself!

Katherine

Rettabug said...

Sue, I LOVE what you did to the top surface here!! You've got a great eye for arrangements & your bargain pieces are just wonderful. Your large candlestick painted ORB has convinced me that I need to do mine, too. I've been wavering but no more!!

Glad to read your bruises are healing...those falls could have really been serious! I have a friend whose ankle STILL isn't right after she hopped up on a little planter to straighten a pine roping & the planter flipped over...YEARS AGO!!! She's still limping! BE careful!!

bj said...

THIS looks BEAUTIFUL. Sue, you did an EXCELLENT job!! I have looked everywhere for the OBR paint but can't find it...:(

You have inspired me to rework a tabletop in my living room, using tall candlesticks...TODAY !! :)

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I love that basket, and I really like how you put so much thought into everything in that vignette. It all just flows and looks amazing!

Well done!

Snappy Di said...

I love it and have an entertainment unit in our family room that is blank, nada, empty. This inspires me. Thank you so much!

Di

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love that tobacco basket. I saw one at the flea market last year but it was pretty broken so I didn't buy it. That is so funny that we have the same entertainment center. We didn't buy all three pieces because of the way our room is shaped it wouldn't hold the other side piece. I love how yours is displayed.

Carrie said...

I love your tobacco basket! It looks so good. I want to go shopping with you, but my husband is sitting here shaking his head ;) Ha!

Debbie said...

Sue you have such great taste, and such a knack for putting it all together! I enjoy coming over here to see what you find next...cool basket! Thanks for joining in on the party.

Melissa Miller said...

Sue this looks gorgeous! I really love your enitire large cabinet and the way you arranged it to perfection. Beautifully done! So sorry about the broken piece. I hate it when that happens. Sigh.

Have a wonderful week sweet friend.
~Melissa :)

Jemsmom said...

That looks amazing! You have a knack for arranging things! I love the tobacco basket and that is perfect there to give you the height you need there! Aren't those super tall walls daunting at times? Not for you, obviously! Yours is incredible! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your kind words. Your header is divine! My family is from County Antrim and Ireland is one of my most favorite places in the whole world. I would move there in a heartbeat!

Jemsmom said...

That looks amazing! You have a knack for arranging things! I love the tobacco basket and that is perfect there to give you the height you need there! Aren't those super tall walls daunting at times? Not for you, obviously! Yours is incredible! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your kind words. Your header is divine! My family is from County Antrim and Ireland is one of my most favorite places in the whole world. I would move there in a heartbeat!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Hi, I am visiting from Debbiedoos. What great finds and great arrangement! It looks just like the magazine!!!

Carol

artteachergirl said...

I love the way you displayed your tobacco basket! I had mine on my mantle for years, but now have it on my screened in porch. I think I'll try clear spray on mine. Great post!
I enjoyed your blog.

Diann @ The thrifty Groove said...

The basket looks wonderful! The whole top of the entertainment center looks great. I love the natural feel of it. And it is nice to see the pop of copper. Just perfect!

Lori said...

Doesn't it just rock your world to make simple changes. You feel like you have a brand new room. Always lifts my spirits. Then you wonder why didn't I do this long ago.

dogsmom said...

This is inspiring. simple changes make a dramatic difference. I am seeing things very similar to treasures I have sitting around. Now I have ideas on how to put them to better display service.

Susie Q said...

I love it Sue. truly. I envy youthe high ceilings! I would love to add my basket to the top of something but, *sigh* no room!
I willlive vicariously through you now. *grin*
You did good, just be careful when you are tweaking! No falling or injuring anything!!

niartist said...

Gorgeous work Sue! Thank you so much for participating in Vignette Fridays for the first go around! I hope to make it a successful weekly event - and I'd love to have you post weekly! (Older posts recapped are certainly more than ok!) I'm loving the recreation of your entertainment units. That basket is gorgeous - and who knew spraypaint could transform pottery, even!?!?!?!? Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"That looks GREAT"... I like yours MUCH better than the inspiration!!! LOVE that basket! and I can never pass up anything that's rusty iron... I don't really know WHAT that says about me BUT LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the whole package you created!

Patti said...

Your arrangements should have been on the cover of that magazine!! Well done....i have never heard the term "tobacco basket" I have the same basket, but with handles...How do I know if that is what mine is called? patti

merrilymarylee said...

This was fascinating! I had to keep reminding myself to close my mouth as I oogled over it.

Lovely job!