Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Heat Wave and Some Hot Sales

 

Whew~It has been one hot week! Temperatures in the 90’s and the humidity right up there, too. Talk about wanting to stay in the cool air conditioning and not wanting to sweat while out at garage sales. My baby fine hair goes practically limp the minute I head out the door and I look as if I’ve been running a 5 mile race. Not a pretty sight, let me tell ya….

So I made sure I got an early start Saturday morning and visited as many sales as I could before the weather got too intolerable. I took along a couple bottles of water and pulled my hair up into a little pony-tail so my neck would feel cool.  Bargains, here I come.

The first five sales were busts- I’ve gotten very particular as to what I want to buy these days. All my cabinets full of glassware and other treasures remind me that I might just have a little too much glassware! It was not until I came to a sale in an alley near the university campus that I knew I had finally struck paydirt~

server

I absolutely knew I had to have this server when I spied it. It is in perfect condition, no cracks or chips whatsoever. It measures about 12 inches across from handle to handle and about 9 inches from front to back. It is about 8 inches high.  It was marked $8.00 but I asked the gentleman if he would consider any sort of a deal. He asked me if I could give him $5.00 for it. Sold! I tried not to look too excited as I left down the alley.

mark

Here is the maker’s mark.

 

 

 

 

 

lion head, crackle

Here, you can see the crackle finish in the stoneware and the detail in the lion’s head on the handle.

 

tabletop

I like the contrast of all the white stoneware against the black finish of the hutch.

 

sugar and creamer

I meandered north of town to a sale where I found these milk glass items.  I needed another sugar bowl and creamer like I needed another bump on the head, but for $1.00 apiece, I couldn’t refuse.

 

creamer2

How simple, yet so pretty and elegant, are these pieces…

sugar bowl2

 

~~~~

I was headed home, satisfied with my purchases for the day, when I made a detour to a sale in a neighborhood that is only five minutes from my house. It was hot and I was sticky, but knowing I could be home drinking a cool glass of ice water in no time flat, I made the stop. 

The sale was full of decorator items- lamps, drapes, furniture, etc. Turns out the seller used to be a stager and a real estate salesperson. The sale was being held at the home of her friend, Jamie. Jamie and I got to talking and I found out that she and her husband are good friends with my nephew, who works with Mr. S.  What a small world! She let me have the two vases I was interested in for $5.00.  It pays to be nice to everyone, doesn’t it?  *grin*

small vase 

I kinda like the ’finish on this vase, so I’m only going to get rid of that awful gold neck by painting it with my reliable can of ORB. Yup, Krylon’s good ol’ Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint~ my “go-to” color.

.

lg vase

I’m not sure what to do with this metal vase. I don’t like the gold on this, either, and I’m not too crazy about the red toned brown with the black specks. Any suggestions?

 

ec

I’m going to rearrange the accessories on top of the entertainment center in the great room and I could be incorporating both vases. The large tobacco basket that I bought last year will finally be making its appearance, as well.

I’m thinking of going back out into the garage tonight to start painting the vases. It has cooled off tremendously. It’s now only 85 degrees and 51% humidity. Wow~ tolerable! 

I’m linking with the following blogs for their parties. Please pay them a visit on their appropriate party days. You’ll probably find some inspiration and a lot of ideas!

                                                                              

 

thriftthursday                    linky party

 

shoppingbagpic2                                  SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb

36 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

You absolutely hit pay dirt, Sue! Wow! I love all your finds.

Your white looks gorgeous in the black cabinet.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! You found some great stuff! My favorite is the old ironstone server...gorgoeus! The hobnail milkglass is pretty, too! No clue on colors! Like you, I paint everything ORB, black or white! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, my goodness! I love your finds and I do believe you got some big bargains!! I love the covered bowl!
Love your cabinet too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Steph said...

Fantastic finds. I absolutely adore the server with the crackle finish, looks great on your hutch. And great prices on the milk glass.

Polly said...

LOVE the ironstone tureen Sue!! I am so addicted to ironstone! It looks great on your hutch! Hope you two are doing well! Take care,

Polly

Hilary said...

Sue, I love the scalloped tops of the hobnail creamer and sugar bowl! So sweet. :)

Terra said...

I especially love the white bowl/server with the lions handle that you bought. The milk glass is pretty too.

Pam @ Frippery said...

I think we have the same problem, glassware addiction. You found some great stuff. Can't wait to see what you do with the vase.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Love that white piece! I've got the same problem. I'm seriously thinking of getting a bigger hutch piece for my DR to hold all my dishes.

Prior said...

good sale finds! And yes, it is a small world! Lezlee

Charlene Austin said...

I would have freaked out if I found the little hobnail cream and sugar. SO sweet!!

All of your items are just wonderful!

I couldn't imagine the weather you experience. I'd melt. Here in Canada we got up to 32C (89F) and that was very unusual for us. Today it's pretty much down right chilly.

Lori E said...

That serving piece was made just for your home. It look perfect there. I think garage sales are kind of like genealogy research.
You get tired and want to quit and you just look at one more set of records and snap...there is what you are looking for.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue.....Man! You did hit paydirt with the Ironstone server! I love it on the black cabinet with the other white bowls. That looks great! We didn't do any garage sales this weekend...they have dwindled down so we just hit the Farmer's Market and picked up some fresh veggies. Temps going back up in the 90's this week....stay cool!~Hugs, Patti

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Nice deal on the server. You are braver than me - I stayed in out of the heat today. Did not accomplish anything - just stayed inside. :)
Have a great week.

Jo said...

Wow lucky you! I don't know abt you but I'm tired of this weather....

Jennifer said...

Lovin all your finds this week Sue!!! I have been working on my entertainment center too!
Keep on Junkin!
Jennifer

Kati @ Obscured Flair- said...

your entertainment center is so cute! excellent finds!!

Debbie said...

That is some awesome stuff there Sue...love the white pieces...I am getting very inspired to look for some myself. Thanks for joining in on the party...I just so happened to be around here and noticed my party button....:) Have a great week ahead...leaving for vaca tomorrow.

farmlady said...

I do love the ironstone against the black buffet. It's beautiful...a wonderful background for white or off-white china.

My Ugly Garden said...

Congratulations on such an incredible find! The ironstone is lovely and looks great on the black sideboard. Enjoy your newfound treasures!

Turley Times said...

Ahhhh, I just love that ironstone server! I've started a collection of ironstone in my kitchen and I actually plan to blog about it this week! I think that vase will look great with ORB around the top instead of the gold. I just can't get into using gold for decorating.

Hannah

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Stunning tureen! What fabulous detail!

Marydon said...

G'morn Sue ~ WOW! What lovely finds & bargain prices, to boot! I love the iron stone ... may I give you my shopping list for your next jaunt out? Chuckle!

Have a lovely week!
TTFN ~ Marydon

Twice as Nice said...

Love all that you got. Twin and I haven't been to even one yard sale yet this summer. It seems we are always doing something else on the weekends. Maybe this weekend will be different. I'd love to find some bargains.

monika said...

Nice blog and i am also following your blog.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Ohhhhhh that server!!! You lucky girl!! I LOVE that!!! I love the vases too! You could paint it all one color, or tape it off and spray the gold another color.

Humidity is horrendous here too! I walked out my back door this morning and said, well, there goes the hair!

Lou Cinda :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Ohhhhhh that server!!! You lucky girl!! I LOVE that!!! I love the vases too! You could paint it all one color, or tape it off and spray the gold another color.

Humidity is horrendous here too! I walked out my back door this morning and said, well, there goes the hair!

Lou Cinda :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Ohhhhhh that server!!! You lucky girl!! I LOVE that!!! I love the vases too! You could paint it all one color, or tape it off and spray the gold another color.

Humidity is horrendous here too! I walked out my back door this morning and said, well, there goes the hair!

Lou Cinda :)

Alicia said...

Very nice finds. I was out and about this weekend helping a friend move and saw tons of yard sales, but alas...no time to stop and shop. Glad you were able to and I can live vicariously through your great finds! Love the server!

Kathleen said...

Oh la la, you got a deal! Love that covered dish, such pretty lines!
Hot here too!

Kathleen said...

Oh la la, you got a deal! Love that covered dish, such pretty lines!
Hot here too!

Carrie said...

What a beautiful piece of stoneware! That was a great deal.

La said...

I love milk glass. My mother had a lot of it when I was growing up.

I will definitely try to make it to the Vintage Market Day in Mansfield.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh my word!! What great finds this week. I love milk glass. :) You have some great prices on stuff too. Thanks for the visit. :)

Bonnie said...

Your finds are great! We don't get those kind of deals around my area.

White just pops on the black cabinet and what a good serving piece.

Enjoyed meeting you today. Thanks for visiting me. We share many common interests. I would enjoy going to garage sales and antique shows with you I am sure.

Tardevil said...

Don't have to tell you that the ironstone was a great find. So wish I had a place to display my little 'white' collection like you've got yours. Looks great.