Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Refuse to Fight My Addiction…

 

I admit it~  I am addicted to shopping estate/garage/yard sales! I don’t need a 12-step program because I know I can control myself and adhere to the monetary limits I impose upon myself every week.  (well, sometimes, I guess I can get a little carried away….)

Mr. Sullivan actually feeds my addiction upon occasion. He did it just this week when he handed me over a “Benjamin Franklin” and told me it was for my garage sales. What a guy!  So what can I do but refuse to fight my addiction and  continue to find more pretties like the following:

 

2

I seem to have begun a collection of sorts of old keys, door knobs, and locks. I found this beauty  of a lockset at a yard sale. It was $8.00 and is currently on display on in the black wall cupboard in the kitchen.

 

 

 

3

Its shelf companion is this $12.00 doorknob set. It has a glass knob on one end and a metal one on the other. Guess the fancy glass one was in a more formal room? I like that the key plate was included, too.

 

 

2

The keys in the frames have just been stitched onto a fabric background.

 

 

1

A sepia-tone rendition of the cupboard.

 

 

 

4

This oval glass dish holds an assortment of old crochet thread. The contrast between the whites and the ecru gets a jolt of color from the blue spool.  The entire collection, including the glass dish, was a mere $6.00.

 

 

 

6

I found these Bingo cards at a booth in one of my favorite vintage/antique stores.  These are not the flimsy cards of recent years- they actually feel like cardboard.

 

 

1

This has to be one of my favorite finds of late. This gorgeous blue display plate was a dollar at a garage sale and I topped it with a cloche that I purchased at the same sale for $2.00.  The cloche actually came with a dark wood pedestal base, but I thought the two separate pieces looked great together.  Not sure what I’m going to put under the dome, as of yet.

~~~~

I don’t think that my addiction is really not a bad thing, whatsoever. I figure I’m being “green” by reusing all these items that people have discarded! 

And I’d venture to say that there are more than a few  of you who are just like me………

Am I right? 

                                                                                       

 

Please visit the hosts of the parties I am linking to this week. You just might get some real inspiration from their participants.

linky party     thriftthursday     SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb

Please click on the buttons for the links

42 comments:

Terra said...

My favorites are the keys that are framed, they are very historic appearing.
How do I turn off the music that is playing when I visit here? I prefer no music, though your choice is lovely.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Love those keys and door knobs - so interesting! You got some great finds. Linda

Cathy said...

Oh my...what gorgeous finds! I adore the locks and keys...and the way you have them displayed...perfect!

Happy Sunday!
Cathy

Stacey said...

I like the lock, key, doorknob theme. Very pretty. :)

My son likes to ask me if he can have a Benjamin. Cracks me up.

Jo said...

I'll be in the "program" with you...you got some gd deals

Sonia said...

Yes you are right.I have the same addiction..LOL.

Miss Bloomers

kim said...

Love those vintage doorknobs and you got some great prices on them. I looked at some too and they are over $20. Maybe I will find a bargain soon on those. Love your bowl of threads, too.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! You found some great stuff! I LOVE the door hardware! and you have displayed the keys so beautifully! But you know I love that blue plate...gorgeous! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Sandy said...

Great finds, the keys are so unusual, but the dome and blue plate had to be my favorite. Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Oh Yeah....I would say that I am the same way. I wonder what that means that you are so captivated by locks and doorknobs???lol...Seriously, I do love what you did with the keys and how you displayed them! I love it on the black shelves. Rt. 40 garage sales were yesterday but it stormed and poured down from Friday after dinner till this morning. I did manage a few garage sales between rain drops! I found a petite coffee table that I think I will be redoing. A deal at $5! Have a great week!~Patti

farmlady said...

Rationalization is key to any obsessive-compulsive addiction. I like your "green" recycle one. I use it all the time.
Love the locks and keys. That's a very nice display of them.

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! It's one thing to find stuff but another to decorate with them like you do! You make things look so wonderful!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You ARE being Green and you are making the right choices. :) I really like the keys framed and the glass dome on the blue and white plate.
Have a great week.

Susan said...

I share your addiction!! I truely love that plate and cloche!!

Linda said...

Great finds! I have the same "problem"...just love the knobs, locks, and keys and how you have displayed them...and the bingo cards!

Sandy said...

When I think about the old farm house I left behind in Central Illinois.. each door, 21 of them, had glass knobs with keys in each!
The House was 75 yrs old when I bought it...
Hope the new owners appreciate them!
Nice finds!
Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Debbie said...

Well I got some real inspiration coming here....you found some awesome things Sue. THanks for participating in the party. Debbie Love the bingo boards!

Dawn said...

Gee, I don't ANYONE else with that addiciton! ;)

All of the interior knobs in our house are glass except the bathroom. I'ts glass in the hallway and metal inside the bathroom. I wonder if there is a particular reason. You gave me a great idea for a post though. I'll try to do it in few days.

Hugs,
Dawn

Sue said...

So we both have an addiction - mine to ruffles, yours to garage sales! Wait...I have that one , too. I love your "finds" and your blog. I just became a follower! Sue@awelllovedhome.com

Van said...

You have a beautiful collection!

Jennifer said...

I think I would pass out if my dh handed me $100! Awesome finds! I love your key collection.

Nancy said...

I enjoyed seeing all your fun finds! The keys are neat and I also like the door knobs. Thanks for sharing your treasures!

Nancy

Melanie Elissa said...

Addiction..smiction..I guess I'm in denial..haha. I am in love with all of your finds. I love your glass door knobs, I wish my doors had the ole glass ones like that. P.S. The lights I found at the local GW are from Target.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, With bargains like this, your addiction seems very harmless. I'm with you - stay away fromt the 12 steps, and go find some more of these wonderful treasures. You have such an eye for them. laurie

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I didn't have this addiction until I started blogging...I think it is contagious.

Turley Times said...

You found some very unique stuff! I love it all!

Hannah

Lori E said...

It is only an addiction if you go to meetings.
Maybe you can find a meeting where people are selling stuff too.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

That lockset is SO neat! What a great find!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Great finds and you have them displayed so well! How sweet of your hubs to feed you addiction. Go out and look for a few lightening bugs tonight! Hugs, Pam

The Tattered Cottage said...

Hi Sue -
I know what you are going through...I decided not to fight the addiction also :) Love your lockset! and how you have displayed everything on your black shelf. I would have picked up the blue plate also...it looks great with the cloche.
♥ Toni

Turley Times said...

Dubuque is a great town! I live a little over an hour away from there. Have you ever been to Galena, IL, right across the Mississippi? There are amazing shops and buildings there, and it is so beautiful, especially in the fall.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Hannah

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

What an unusual collection! I do love old dooknobs but I must say that old lockset is really divine! I just love that!

Manuela

xinex said...

Wow! You scored really big on that cloche and plate at that price. You have a neat key collection, Sue!...Christine

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Love it all! Nothing like a junking adventure to make me smile!

Amy

Diann said...

Ohhh, all your keys are wonderul! Great finds! Love that blue plate and all your goodies. Thrifting an addiction? Nahhhh, therapy!! :)

Have a great day!

Lori said...

I have a cheese dome like that. I like how you used it on the pretty blue and white plate.

Kathleen said...

Look at it this way..you are stocking the store for a garage sale!
Lovely treasures! You've got it all locked up!
Hope all is well. It has been a hectic 2 weeks here...not much computer time!

Charlotte said...

Don't you love it when the hubby 'feeds' your addiction! Great finds!

Debbie said...

Wonderful post to share Sue, and so glad you made it this week:) Have a wonderful weekend my friend!~ Debbie

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Yep...you are right Sue! I am addicted too. When Friday gets here I find myself getting worked up that tomorrow is Saturday and treasure hunting day and wondering what I will find. Going out with no particular thing in mind is part of the fun. Last Friday I went to an estate sale and woohoo....found the dressing table I have been looking for for a couple of years and the price was perfect! (and seat) Future post....have a super great weekend Sue!

MessyMissy said...

I love the lockset. What a find!!!

Donna said...

Hi Sue,
I just love your keys and door knobs! the way that you have displayed them is so neat! And your cloche and blue & white plate are gorgeous. Great finds! Saw you on Debbie Doos linky party