Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Birds and the Bees and Tea

 

 As I was unpacking my bags this morning from yesterday’s shopping excursion at the Garden and Antique Show, I acted on a whim to set a table with a couple of my purchases.

table

It’s a gray and overcast day again, so what better way to perk me up than to drink a nice cup of tea and savor some biscuits and lady fingers? Mr. Sullivan and I both enjoyed a cup before he went off to work.

bee

This little metal bee skep was my very last purchase of the day. I had just finished paying for a shelf and garden ornament with the last of my dollar bills and a handful of  quarters when I saw it.  I held it up as I was walking out of the vendor’s tent. The woman laughed and said, “fifty cents.”  Well, you know I dug down deep in my purse for the last of my nickels and dimes to pay for it! 

I intend on cutting a small piece of window screen to fill each of the bee’s wings to give them a little more texture. 

 

 

 

scale,teapot

The bee teapot was a frugal find at only $2.00.  You can almost imagine that you hear the buzzing sound of those two little bees…  I set it upon a vintage scale that is from a business down the road in Cincinnati.

teapot

 

 

 tea biscuits

I like these lady fingers from Trader Joe’s. They’re crunchy and low-fat. So you know that gives me permission to eat more than a few! How could I resist?

But my favorite treat is the shortbread cookie made with Earl Gray tea. I found these at Pier One in the clearance section for $1.48. I bought all that they had left in stock. These cookies came from my last box, so I limited myself to only two of them.  Now that was an effort!

 

 

birdcage

You may remember this chippy birdcage that usually sits on my checkerboard table.  It’s filled with sweet smelling reindeer moss and two sweet birdies make their home within.

 

 

 

 

1 

The table is nothing fancy, by any means.  Just my everyday white ironstone dishes and some Thompson floral stoneware  on a thrifted lace table topper.  I just thought it might be a little nicer to have a place setting for each of us instead of just handing Mr. S  a mug of tea. *grin*   It just made for a special morning snack and a chance for him to see some of my purchases.  After all, he helped fund their purchase!

~~~

This short post came as a whim, and I just acted upon it! I’ll be back again soon to share the bigger purchases from the show on Saturday.

                                    

 

 

I’m linking this post with the following parties. Please click on the buttons to visit the hostesses and their party participants.

 

2nd time around tuesdaytea rose garden tea 017-3

 

 

    SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb            shoppingbagpic2             LargeLogo[3]

 

45 comments:

Pam @ Frippery said...

Sue, That table is adorable! I love every little piece!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! What a cute table setting! I love all of your birds and bees! Can't wait to see what else you found! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty place to sit for tea or coffee. Looks like you found some great finds. Sure would like to have a Trader Joe's here, but it is over 200 miles to the nearest one.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Sue:
You really found some fabulous treasures! Have a great week.
xoxo
Donna

thepaintedgarden.net said...

Hello Sue,

Oh my goodness gracious - you found some adorable things. It would be hard to pick a favorite as everything is charming.
Have a lovely week.
Blessings,
Erin

9405018--Pat said...

Great finds...thanks for sharing...Pat H

Debbie said...

Hi Sue...that is uberly cute...I know that is not a word but it is today:) I love the scale with the teapot on top. What a great way to pick up a dreary day.

Anne said...

Your table looks devine. What a nice tablescape to wake up to. Thanks for sharing.

Donna said...

Hi Sue,
Your table is just so pretty! I love the little bee skep, and the birdcage and vintage scale are wonderful. thanks so much for visiting, and for your nice comments!

Jo said...

You really did gets some finds this w/e!

Jennifer said...

Sue you table is just too cute!!!
~Jennifer

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue....A very pretty table setting! Are those cookies and ladyfingers high in carbs? lol Seriously, those Earl Grey tea cookies look pretty good! So do the ones from Trader Joes....I haven't been there for a long time!~Hugs, Patti

JunqueMagnet said...

Love that chippy birdcage.So pretty!

Betty's corner of the world said...

Hi Sue ...I'm recouping from my garden tour ...I sure would love to knock on your door and have a cup of tea and one of your treats ... It all looks sooo sweet... and soo relaxing.
It's always such a 'pick-me-up' to visit your beautiful home.
Hugz ..Betty

Rettabug said...

Hi Sue,

First off, let me say how much I'm enjoying your Adagio for Strings music!! I usually turn off most people's players as soon as they blast me out of my chair. I'm on the computer early in the morning before DH wakes up so I am appreciating your soft, lovely music.

All your great finds just peak my interest so much! The teapot is adorable (would go with my Napoleon Bee flatware perfectly!) & the chippy birdcage is so perfect in size & shape.

Thanks for the info about the Trader Joe's lady fingers. I'll have to keep an eye out for some.

Can't wait to see what else you found on your trip to Troy!!

Turley Times said...

Your table is very pretty! It's so much fun to fiddle with decorations and make new displays, isn't it?

Hannah

Charlotte said...

What great finds! Love the 'bee' teapot!

Lou Cinda said...

LOVE the bee skep!! LOVE IT!!

Really LOVE IT! Fifty Cents?? Lord have Mercy!!

Lou Cinda :)

farmlady said...

Oh Sue, this is just a charming table. I love that you used the old scale for the teapot to rest on. Very nice idea.

Joan said...

A dear teapot! You are lucky to have found it for that price. Congratulations on your bargain!

Manang Kim said...

Oh wow those finds are beautiful and my favorite is the table cloth it's gorgeous!


Just cutie

Beth said...

Sue, Your table is pretty. I like the wood, I like the lace centerpiece and how you've decorated it. Those napkins add a pop of color. Nice bee skep and teapot! You are a good thrifter, I can tell!
Beth

Linda said...

Cute little teapot! Love the table.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh, I want that teapot Sue!
You set such a lovely and whimsical table on a whim. Great Job, I love it.
Cindy

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Luv that bee skep...just too cute!

Blessings,
Linda

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

What a pretty table setting. My favorite is that adorable tea pot.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sue...girl I love that scale and I want it ship it to me ha ha!! enjoyed my tea time with you my friend...stop by sometime...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

What a bee-utiful table! I love all your pieces, especially that adorable tea pot. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Very lovely table setting! Great finds.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Kathleen said...

How clever to think of screen in the wings! It will also help keep the bugs out! :)
I love that table..very happy! The teapot is so cute!
Hope things are going well! Haven't seen you lately...then I worry!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

You are so crafty and clever! Such a wonderful collection.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love your tablescape. So pretty. The scale and the teapot and all of your dishes and accessories are so beautifully put together. Gorgeous table. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Kim said...

Sounds like you had a lovely shopping day. I am green with envy over that vintage scale! I'm on the hunt for one myself.
xoxo,
Kim

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

BEAUTIFUL table! Love the skep and the scale. Great pieces.

Blessings!
Gail

Barbara Jean said...

That little bird cage is just too too adorable!!

Love the table setting too.

off to see more.

thanks for coming by

blessings

barbara jean

Atticmag said...

Very pretty table and I especially like the teapot. Please stop by and see our china room if you have time. Jane F.

Anna said...

your table setting is so pretty. I will have to look out for those cookies, I love earl grey tea

kate said...

Hey Sue, i have a great recipe for homemade short bread, maybe you could try your own short bread and earl grey, i will post the recipe
kate

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, that tea pot is just the cutest thing. Your table setting looks so pretty on the beautiful piece of lace. I can already tell you had a great trip. I look forward to seeing more. laurie

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Such darling finds...love the bee things...so cute. The table is so inviting!

OldWorldKnits said...

What a beautiful table! So inviting to sit and enjoy a 'cuppa tea'. Beautiful finds too. I esp. like the black metal bee hive. Nice.

Steph said...

what a gorgeous table!! now I want some tea. and cookies. darn!

dogsmom said...

Cute finds. I, too, have days where I have to dig deep for a last minute treasure.
Maybe for the winds you can find a meshy, sheer, nylon fabric. I have some bees with wings made of it that are very nice.

Lady Katherine said...

I just love how you said you threw it together! It makes time spent with love ones more special. I adore the bee skip! So glad you found some change, I been there so many times, looking for change. lol Adore the teapot, I was given one similar for my Birthday. I love the table topper! The candles! Oh, the bird house, just love it! Now the food, I do wish I could have some! The ladyfingers! The cookies! What a wonderful Tea! I had so much fun seeing all your Treasures! Thank you for joining me for Tea Time Tuesday. You can throw together such a adorable table!

LillyB said...

Perfect table!!