Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thrifting accessories for a simple dinner tabletop…

I used a few thrift items that I found last week to set my dinner table for tonight. I mixed some vintage pieces with some contemporary dinnerware and I think it turned out just fine.

t2

I never get too frou-frou with my tables- I use simple place settings of flatware and dinnerware, a water or wine glass…. That’s about it, for the most part. Have to have room for the food…..

t5 t4

t6  t3

I found these colorful and contemporary plates at Wal Mart a few weeks ago. They’re melamine and will be perfect to carry along on a picnic. They were quite inexpensive at only a few dollars apiece.

t7

I know many of you have seen these antique sugar molds before. I paid $12 for one that has three openings and I’ve inserted mosaic patterned paper napkins as a backdrop for the silverware. The molds can be used for a variety of different purposes- you can insert candles into the openings or you can use them to arrange florals in them. I’m sure there are many more inventive ideas out there- what can you think of off the top of your head?

.

t1

I showed this terrarium in the last spring cloche party, but I removed the small plant that was growing inside the eggshell that was perched on top of the pot saucer. Some of you remember that I have a brown thumb- so I’m sure I neglected it and it up and died! Replacing it with something that requires no care whatsoever was a no-brainer.

t9

I couldn’t believe that this little candleholder cost only a dollar at one of the booths at the Springfield Extravaganza where I shopped over the weekend.

.

t8

Then there’s the old bedspring with a small glass beaker inserted into it to create a bud vase. How clever and oh so inexpensive at $2.00.

Since I’m only fixing a simple meal of hot dogs and burgers on the grill tonight, the table suits me just fine. Easy peasy table and easy peasy dinner. I’ll add some corn on the cob, a salad, and I’ll be done.

I need to give myself a swift kick in the behind and get editing the photos I took of my outing to the Extravaganza. It was such fun to walk the many rows of booths whose owners were showing their wares. While there, I was able to spend some time visiting with my friend, Kathy Stanz, who blogs at Sylvia’s Vintage Daughter.

kathyThis photo of Kathy was taken by Pam Kern, another Ohio blogging friend who blogs at Frippery. I just missed seeing her at Kathy’s booth- I was probably on the other side of the fair grounds eating my ginormous pork chop sandwich. Pam and I have communicated online but haven’t met face to face, yet. Hopefully, we’ll get to see each other later this summer.

If I’d had unlimited funds, I would’ve come home with more purchases from all of Kathy’s goodies on display! She is planning on hosting a show of her own in July in her hometown of Mansfield; so that just may be an opportunity for the Ohio bloggers to get together and enjoy each other’s company. I’ll have more info on that soon. Have a great week, everyone!

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumbclick on button to visit Rhoda

I’m linking up with Rhoda again this week for her Thrifty Treasures party. Please pay her a visit and see everyone else’s thrifty finds.

linky party

click on button to visit Debbie

I’m also adding this to a Debbie’s new linky party. Why don’t you drop by to see what she and her participants are doing!

 

cpbl

click on button to get to Style Sisters

This is a new meme, so why not stop over to see what’s happening at the Style Sisters! 

33 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love this table, Sue! I need to get to Walmart. These dishes would be great for back porch suppers, as well as picnics.

The Extravaganza looks like fun.

Lou Cinda said...

Sue, the tablescape is wonderful!! Love the terrarium and the bed spring vase!

Now that extravaganza looks like a blast!! It would have been hard for me to regain control!

Can't wait to see more about that!

Have a good week!

Lou Cinda :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love your colorful table Sue~ I especially like the mixing of the old with the new. Supper sounds good, I'll be right over!
Cindy

Lori E said...

Easy peasy is the way to go. I like a relaxed table and dinner. I am craving a burger now thanks.
Now get busy editing those photos for us.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I would love to sit there and have a grilled burger or hot dog, no corn just a little salad will be fine - Thank you. :D Sounds like you had a fun day.

Twice as Nice said...

I've never heard of an antique sugar mold but I love it! If I ever came across one I would never know what it was. I LOVE what you did with it and the table is beautiful. It's nice to set a beautiful table even if it is just hamburgers and hot dogs. The food just tastes better!
Hope all is well with you and hubby.

P.S. This is Fran and I just found out on Mother's Day that I'm going to be a grandma! I'm so happy but I told someone that it also makes me feel old...they said I'm going to be one hot grandma, HA...It did make me feel better.

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

I'm in love with the sugar mold! You could put colored pencils in it too. You have such a way with display and using thrifted pretties. I just love to visit you! Everything here could go straight into a magazine.
Brenda

Vintage Remixed said...

Love those plates, Sue. Hope you have a great week!

Jo said...

Love the tablescape - esp the ease and fun of it! We went to the extravaganza on Sat and I didn't take any photos !!! Can you believe it - what a poor blogger...lol Hope you got some great finds!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue...I was planning on going to the extravaganza this weekend but my granddaughter's birthday party got moved up a week to yesterday so I didn't make it. The weather turned out pretty nice for it! I love your plateware with the sugar mold...nice contrast with both! Let me know about the Mansfield gig when you know more!~Hugs, Patti

Kathleen said...

Great colors, Sue, and such interesting pieces..A bed spring...who knew!
Love those napkins too.
The fair sounds like fun! Glad you are getting out!

Debbie said...

So glad you joined my party...I love this table it is so my color choices....and I too love mixing old with new, it is fun!~ Thanks again for joining, I look forward to you participating with me again in the future.

Wendy said...

Your table looks great! the plates are really cute.

Kathy said...

Pass the Sugar Mold please!!!
Love that!
and the Walmart dishes are so cute.
Fun catching up with you this evening Sue...
Hoping things are getting better and better with your honey.
Your thrifts were great too!
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

I found you at Debbiedoo's blog party. Love your table! You certainly have a flare for mixing wonderful items that just go together in a joyous way. Love the colors and the wood and the glassware. Also the lantern. And the flower holders. I think I may have a bit of table envy.

Sandy said...

Such a pretty table...
following from Debbiedoos...
Enjoy your cook-out!

Sandy
http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Balisha said...

Hi Sue,
I love that cheery table and the bedspring vase. How clever...Balisha

xinex said...

I love your tablescape, Sue. It's very bright and happy, love the colors of the dishes and how practical! They will be good for kids visiting this summer too! Love the sugar mold and how you used it...Christine

Susie Q said...

Oye are you in trouble! You went to the Extravaganza without me!!! I wanted to gooooo!!! I wasn't sure if you were going, had not heard. Phooey. I almost went by myself Saturday.

Okay, next time we both go okay?? Jo would go too...: )

Oh, and I love your table. Perfect for Summer!!

Embellished Bayou said...

Love the sugar mold & the terrium! Cute table.

farmlady said...

I have been away too much and have trouble catching up. When I do come back to your blog I remember why I love it so much. You photos are beautiful. The ideas are wonderful and everything is just..., "eye candy".
This is such an interesting table setting. Definitely a vintage meets traditional table. That you did it with such frugality is even more amazing. My favorite is the sugar mold. What a great idea and I can see it with candles too. Just lovely..., all of it.

farmlady said...

Oh, I forgot....
I love the music.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, those napkins are perfect with those place settings, and I love the colorful tablescape. I have used my sugar mold for candles, flowers, and currently it holds ink pens and letter opener on my desk. Love that bed spring bud vase, and your terrarium looks so pretty. laurie

Pam @ Frippery said...

Love the combination of colors, so cheery. Sorry I missed you at Springfield but I know we will connect sometime this summer!

Janean said...

adore your table...those plates are awesome!

linda said...

Just stopping by via Blondie's and thought I'd leave a comment. Hope you don't mind.

What a fun tablescape! This post has motivated me to "dress up" my dinner table more, even if it is only for hotdogs and burgers! I'm getting lazy in my old age and don't dress up the table as often as I should. I'm missing out on alot of fun!

The bed spring and vase is adorable and such a great idea!

I just discovered "thrifting" over the last year or so. Now I'm hooked!

Lisa said...

Well I've never seen an antique sugar mold before. Never even heard of one. But now I want one! I love what you've done with it!

Style Sisters said...

I Love your terrarium and the sugar mold! What a great idea to use them to hold the napkins and silverware! Wal-mart has some cool things those plates are so bold and colorful right up my alley! Thank you so much for participating in my first Centerpiece Wednesday party! I am thrilled to see everyone's ideas they totally inspire me!
Karin

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sue...

My friend, I was just tickled pink when I found your sweet note today! It's been way too long since we've visited!!! I hope that you and your sweet family are all doing well!

Girlfriend...I love, love, LOVE your tablescape!!! It's so happy and vibrant!!! You know, I had those dishes in my cart the other day...and then I put them back at the last minute. Shoot, after seeing how pretty they are on your table, I wished I would have gotten them! Was wondering where you found the placemats...they're perfect for those dishes!!! Ohhh...and I love your old sugar mold...I need to find me one of those! I think it's perfect for holding the flatware and adding those pretty napkins was a great idea! Okay...I have to tell you that the vase and bedspring has just got to be the coolest thing ever...I love that!!! How do these people think up these things? So clever and very creative!

Well Darlin', it's such a delight to hear from you! I really enjoyed your beautiful table...thanks for sharing it with us! You take care...

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Manuela@TPOH said...

Love this colorful table! I don't remember the sugar mold. I've been wanting a terrarium. Your's is so cute!

Hope you're doing well!

Manuela

Cindy said...

Beautiful table and such great cheerful colored plates! I really like your silverware holder. I have never seen a sugar mold, I'm loving the look of it, though. I adore the old bed spring and the candle in it, a great look!
Thank you for coming by my blog...you mentioned you had a musty smelling suitcase. Anything old and musty smelling, I leave open in the outdoors fresh air, where it can't get wet and I find that the smell goes away fairly quickly.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I see that we both posted colorful tables this week. I love sugar mold being used to hold the flatware. That is a fabulous idea. And I love, love, love the bed spring vase. I want one now. And the terrarium is fabulous as well. Thanks for visiting my table & leaving me a comment.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, I think simple is my favorite too. People say I am simple too....which I take as a compliment. :) :)

So many parties going on at your place I must not dilly dally but head on out. Have a wonderful weekend pretty lady. xo Lynn