Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Some “me” time and some thrifting….

I’m linking to the following parties this week. Make sure you stop by to see their hostesses and check out the participating party-goers!

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb shoppingbagpic2 thriftthursday

As I drove into the charming little town of Tipp City, Ohio on Saturday, I kept seeing yard sale signs up and down the main street. I discovered that residents were participating in a city-wide yard/garage sale, so I decided that once I was done shopping at a friend’s new shop, I would drive by a few to see what I could find. Alas, I spent several hours in Amy’s store AND most of my allotted shopping money, so I was working on a real limited budget. Like, under $10.

So, I drove through town and circled around to a house that had a hoard of people lingering both on the porch and on the front lawn. I figured it looked like a great place to find something worth buying, and I wasn’t disappointed. I saw glassware and old shutters galore, but I didn’t have the cash to buy them. On my way off the porch, I spied a tarnished brass candlestick with a large glass hurricane. It was on the table with a sign that said everything was $1.00. Well, you bet I grabbed that baby in a hurry! Even though it was icky brass, I knew it could be transformed with my trusty oil rubbed bronze spray paint. Here it is in its before state:

candleholder2

And here is the improved version, all painted and cleaned up:

2

3

1

This little update sure made the candlestick look a lot better, wouldn’t you agree?

~~~~~

I hit a couple of other sales on the same block but didn’t find anything else that caught my eye, so I just came home. I’ll take pictures of all the loot I came away with from Amy’s store so I can show it to you later this week.

But first, I have to show you what I found at a moving sale last week. I didn’t get to this lady’s house until the last day of her sale, so there wasn’t much left. But I came across these linen napkins that just called to me.

10napkins

They were originally priced at $10, then marked down to $8. I asked if she would consider anything less and she came back with a $6 price, to which I readily agreed. They are quite large- 20 inches square and all in excellent condition. I love the ecru color, and after the napkins are laundered, starched, and ironed, the lace will look great.

But don’t expect to see an “after” picture of them today! When I iron, I have to set up the ironing board in front of the TV and watch movies or shows I have DVR’ed. That way, I am entertained and I don’t have to endure the drudgery of ironing. BTW, is there anyone out there who REALLY likes to iron? Some people might say it’s therapeutic, but I would definitely have to disagree with that opinion!

Instead, I’m off to take pictures of all my purchases from Amy’s and then find homes for them. That is way more fun and therapeutic than ironing, don’t you think?

P.S. Mr. Sullivan went back to work a couple of days ago. He is doing much better and is making big strides. He has progressed from walking on crutches to using a cane (an Ohio State one, at that!). He works out at the gym several times a week, has used the treadmill, and on Friday, he even tried the elliptical machine! Although he still has a very limited range of motion in the knee and has to use very low speeds, we think it is a good start for regaining mobility.

I’m sending out a big thank you to all of you who have e-mailed me and stayed in touch. :-)

41 comments:

Dawn said...

Yea! I'm glad to hear th MR. is well enough to go back to work. If he' like my hubby, it was driving him crazy to not be working. Then they drive us crazy, huh?

You really transformed that candlestick. It looks wonderful. Can't wait to see all your other treasures.
Hugs,
Dawn

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! So glad to hear that Mr. S is doing so much better! I LOVE your candlestick transformation...gorgeous! And those antique linens are beautiful! I agree...ironing as anything but torture? Hard to believe! I have to watch my Judge Judy to be able to stand it! lol Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

Well, first I'm glad the mister is getting better! And secondly, I'm so jealous. That is adorable. I hit about thirty sales on Saturday. Most were in one gated community. I didn't find ONE thing! Came home with money in my pocket! Imagine that.
Brenda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad to hear he is doing so much better.
Love what you did with the candle holder. I use to have ton of brass things, and got tired of polishing, so gradually got rid of it all.
I DO NOT like to iron! Few years ago, I sold a stack of grand new, unused, 100% cotton, white PB napkins for next to nothing, just because I did not like to iron.
Have a great week.
Glenda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Oooops! Me again. I just remembered I have a pair of brass candle holders about 3 ft. tall, that I still have stored. Please tell me if you did anything prior to painting - like prime or sanding.
Thanks in advance.
Glenda

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hey Sue.....Nice find and I love that paint! I will have to look for some of that! I had a fantastic garage sale Saturday myself! I will be posting about them this week. Glad everything is going well with the better half!~Hugs, Patti

Kathleen said...

I am so happy dh is making good progress! Great news.
I do love those napkins..so pretty!
Your candleholder is sweet too.

I am getting paranoid about the brass thing. I just spent a fortune on Brass coach lights for the porch.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

The candlestick looks fabulous! What a deal! The napkins would have called my name too, but like you, ironing never calls my name! I've said that on a blog post in the past, and some have told in comments about the joys of ironing. I've asked for their addresses, so I can send my ironing to them! So glad your husband is doing well. laurie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sue, yes, that's much better with a coat of paint. Great for your foyer table. Sounds like a fun day! Glad your hubby is doing better.

Vintage Remixed said...

Hello Ms. Sue. Thanks for stopping by my blog this evening! If we lived closer I would sure give you this rusted wagon. Love your finds and what you did with them. Have a good evening!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Your candlestick looks very good in black.

Rettabug said...

What great finds, Sue! I would have gladly paid full price for those luscious linens!! I must google Tipp, OH & see how far it is from me.

♥ ♥ ♥ your pretty candle holder after you hit it with ORB! I've been spray painting with it too. :-)
Love that stuff!!

I'm guessing DH had a knee replacement? Mine did too, a couple of years ago. Not fun but well worth it. I'm glad to read that he is doing better.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Lovely linens...Old pieces add so much character. The candle makeover is perfect. It's great to reuse these things and all it takes is a little paint.

Good luck to your hubby.

xinex said...

I am so happy to hear about Mr. Sullivan's progress, Sue. I love those napkins, what a great buy and the hurricane lamp is gorgeous, esp. after you repainted it.....Christine

Lou Cinda said...

Sue, I am So SO glad Mr. Sullivan is doing so much better!! That is such wonderful news!

The candlestick is FABULOUS!! LOVE IT! Can't wait to see what other treasures you found!

And no....I do NOT like to iron either!! lol

Lou Cinda :)

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

Those linens are gorgeous! They will surely make a beautiful tablescape.

I think the only person I "know" who likes to iron is Martha Stewart!

Mimi said...

Great news on your hubby! Beautiful napkins at such a great price. The candle holder looks really nice now, too.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Sue,
The candlestick turned out fabulous!!! It's amazing what a little spray paint can do.

All the yard/garage sales in my neck of the woods tend to start on Friday, so by Saturday all the good stuff is usually gone. So I don't go much. But I love going to the thrift store.

I've been lazy & haven't shown what I've picked up lately. Maybe next week.

Glad to hear hubby is back to work.

Kim

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Good to hear Mr. S. went back to work, I'm sure he was glad to do so. Your lamp redo is wonderful...doesn't even look like the same piece. Can't wait to see what you got at your friend's shop!

Sue

Kelee Katillac said...

Hi Sue!

I love the cut-work linens ! The ecru is lovely--so aged.


Thank-you for visiting too!

love, kelee

Nancy said...

Hi Sue,
The linens are so beautiful! I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a great deal you got! The cutwork is stunning. Good for you!

Nancy

kim said...

Sue, that candlestick looks awesome. You did a great job of transforming that from trash to treasure.

Heather said...

Your hurricane turned out lovely, what a simple but stunning transformation. Thanks for sharing.

Manuela@TPOH said...

YaY that Mr. S is feeling so well that he's back at work!!

Your lamp looks just beautiful - something you'd find in a Pottery Barn catalog. I love linens and those napkins are just beautiful.

I think Martha Stewart likes to iron. I read that she finds it relaxing!!

Manuela

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Great work on the candlestick! So pretty. ANd speaking of pretty. those napkins are gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!
Leigh, Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

When I had my antiques business, I was known as the "LINEN LADY"...so you know I'm lovin' those beautiful napkins...you got an awesome price on them! HAPPY NTT!

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

About the ironing: it is ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE! My favorite time to iron is when it is overcast with showers -- then I have an excuse to stay inside instead of working in the weed patch. AND, a good movie or music CD helps pass the time. REALLY THOUGH, lying between fresh crisply ironed linens is luxurious, as well as eating from a fine table with beautiful cloths & napkins. It is well worth the drudgery!! Rebecca

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Hi Sue, I am playing catch up this Friday morning!

Good news about Mr S.!!

I would have bought those linens too. I bought table linens when we were in Tennessee last month. I think I might just have to start collecting vintage linens. They don't take up much room, they feel good and always look beautiful, even when they have signs of wear or imperfections. Plus, they always make me think of the old days when folks "set a table".

Hope your weekend is lovely!

Sue said...

Hi Sue....Just stopping by to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day..glad to hear that Mr. S is doing better and back to work...
"The other Sue"....

Susan said...

The candle holder looks so good after the transformation!

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, what pretty finds and I love your olden looking candle holder! I'm glad to hear your husband is doing better!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marydon Ford said...

So glad that your DH is doing much better!

What beautiful finds, love the repainted lamp, it is gorgeous.

Happy Mother's Day ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

xinex said...

Thanks for announcing my giveaway, Sue! Happy Mother's Day!...Christine

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sue,
Glad to hear you hubby is doing better! I love this transformation, quite clever you are. And thanks for coming by and entering the giveaway!
Have a great week,
Cindy

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Hi Sue!

Your candlestick vignette is just lovely!

Praise God for your husband doing better, that's wonderful.

Thank you so much for entering my book giveaway, good luck!

All the best,
Anne

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Sue~How wonderful Mr.S is on the mends and is making such great strides. WOW, the elliptical, some of us are a tad challenged in that department even on a good day, lol.

You picked up some deals. The candle stick looks brand new.
The napkins are going to be lovely in your future tablescapes. I would have grab them at $10.so, I'm impressed you got them at $6!
I'll be more than happy to iron them for you if I can borrow them, lol.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

bj said...

I can't tell you how happy I am Mr. S. is doing so much better. I am so glad.

Just to say that I have a post ready for June 8 to show off my treasures from you. I will be gone on....MY ALASKAN CRUISE (woo hoo) but I have it pre-scheduled. Come by and ck it out.:)

Terra said...

You transformed the bronze candle holder, and I note you said oil rubbed bronze spray paint. Does this mean you used bronze spray paint and rubbed it with oil? Just wondering.
The table linens are pretty, and glad to hear your dh is up and about.

podso said...

I have almost an identical candlestick stuck away that I got at a garage sale! What is it that you used to make it look so pretty? Maybe you could answer on my blog if you get a chance. It looks great, and the napkins are sweet and a good deal!

podso

podso said...

P.S. that lilac colored house was out in a country town, I'm sure there were no restrictions. :-)

miss corner cape said...

a buck? that's a serious score. i love the whole vigniette you've done here. reminds me of an english b&b or something!

thanks for stopping by the cape on the corner, and good luck to you, too, on your pedestal stands!