Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thrift shopping put a smile on my face…

 

I actually made a trip up to Tipp last week to shop at one of my favorite vintage/antique stores will be closing its doors at the end of the month and many of its dealers were offering their goods on sale. While I probably missed the most prime selection of items during the first week of the sale, I still came away with a couple of bag loads that I deemed to be great goodies! It was so much fun to get out of the house and do something for myself, for a change! While I bought more than these few items, I thought I’d save the rest of them for another post.

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb click on picture

What luck that these purchases coincided with Rhoda bringing back Today’s Thrifty Treasuresthe first one since its winter hiatus.

2nd time around tuesday                                                                                                                  click on picture

And since my purchases are all second-hand treasures, I’ll also be linking to Diane’s 2nd Time Around Tuesday party at her blog, A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words. I hope you’ll visit her, as well.

treasures collage 2

I haven’t made a collage of any kind for some time now, and had almost forgotten how to do it, so I thought I’d add this to Mosaic Monday at Mary’s Little Red House. I think I need to upgrade to some kind of program so I can make better mosaics like many of you who create masterpieces.  What are your secrets for creating such cool mosaics, anyway?

 

 

 

industrial stool

I’ve been eyeing this industrial metal stool for months, but didn’t want to pay the $42 asking price. It has an adjustable height spinning seat and was most likely used in a factory or some type of laboratory setting. The dealer offered it at 40% off. My sister-in-law, Bette, laughingly said that if I didn’t take it, she would, so I had her help me haul it off to the wrap desk! I’m using it at the kitchen island to help take a load off my feet while I prepare meals. Oh, and have I been preparing meals- Three times a day is not something I’ve done for a very long time!

 

keys&locks

I always look for old locks and keys, so when I found these in a dealer’s case marked at 1/2 off, I knew they had to come home with me to be placed in a silver bowl. Spending that dollar sure paid off.

 

church birdhouse

Birdhouses are another weakness for me and this miniature one found a home on the shelf on my kitchen hutch, nestled between my tarnished silver sugar and creamer.

 

 

shaving mug

I thought this old shaving mug and brush would look nice in Mr. Sullivan’s bathroom once it gets remodeled. I believe it only cost me $3.00.

 

platter

I’ve been accumulating blue/white plates to create a display wall in one of the guest rooms. This platter will contribute to that collection. It was another 1/2 off purchase.

 

platter closeup

I really like the quaint village scene.

 

bunny love

Had to get me some bunny love for Easter! This ceramic momma bunny and her baby just made me smile.

 

 

 

 bunny cup

I found this miniature stoneware bunny cup for only $2.00. Isn’t it cute?

 

silver s&p

This silver plated salt and pepper shaker set will be one of the items that I’m including in my give-away to celebrate my one year anniversary of blogging. So many of us just adore birds, so I thought this would make a nice addition to someone’s collection.

Stay tuned to see what else I’ll be including in my give-away. Don’t forget to visit Rhoda, Diane, Mary and all their party participants!

Hugs,

38 comments:

Helen said...

Oh Sue! The birdhouse is my favorite! How wonderful that you were able to get to the sale. Can't wait to see more of your treasures.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue I love the shaving mug and brush...they are so hard to come by any more...All your bunnies are just darling my friend..You done hit the MOTHERLODE of shaopping...I just hate seeing more stores going out of business tho...Our little town looks like a ghost town any more sighs... Hope all is well with you and Mr.S...Hugs and smiles to you girl...Gl♥ria

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! I love your finds! Of course, the blue and white plate is my favorite! And I must say...great photos! I hope you and your family are doing well! Happy St Paddy's Day to you all!...hugs...Debbie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did find some great things. The Mother and baby rabbit is adorable. I had forgotten Rhoda was starting Thrifty Monday again.

Joan said...

Don't you just hate it when shops that you love and support have to go out of business? That has happened so much around here. I have to keep deleting favorite destinations on my sidebar!
Love the birdhouse. It would be a treasure for anyone.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Me again. :-) Thanks for visiting. I have thought about using Writer - may have to try it out. I know some use Photoscape to edit and make collages/mosaics, etc. (I think Pat @ Back Porch Musings does), and I plan to try it out also. I need to do a little "sprucing up" on my blog. :)
Off to see if still have photos from my thrifty shopping at the dollar store that went out of business. I need to get rid of instead of adding on.
Glenda

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

Hi Sue, I love the bunny and baby, it makes me smile too...I have a birdhouse similar to that one only instead of a perch someone replaced that with a crystal drawer knob, soooooo cuttte one of my fav. things...Love stores like that, hard to find anymore...come for a visit...Phyllis

Jo said...

Glad to see your post! I love the birds and the shaving mug. what great finds

The Muse said...

Greetings :)
And oh so happy to see you out and about!
HUGS!!!
And I am ever so hoping the Mr is doing great :)

Pat@BPM said...

Wonderful finds, Sue and I love the mosaic.

podso said...

Your mosaic is very nice!

Lori E said...

One year? Wow time flies by so fast. Was it as good for you as it has been for me? Good.

Kathleen said...

While I love what you bought, I am just so glad you got out for a little shopping therapy! It does wonders for the spirit..
Bunny love..too cute..you have some bunny to love, and he will be hopping around soon!
Take care, Sue!

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

I especially loved the brush and mug. Reminded me so much of my much missed father.

Nice to stop by -- its been a while-- hope all is going well with you.

Stop by -- would love for you to join in with us on Fridays- Finding beauty. You are always beautiful.

Claudia

randee said...

what wonderful finds! i love the birdie s&p set the most!

your blog banner is beautiful! wish i was there!
hope to get to ireland some day.

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Great finds!

Betty's corner of the world said...

Hi Dear Sue ...I'm so glad you got to get out and have some fun ... since I take care of my Mom I know what a treat a little play time can be ... I love all your tressures, especially the silver birds ... great finds!
I hope Mr. Sullivan gets all better soon so things can get back to normal for you .. It's always good to hear from you .. thank you for all your comments ...I think of you often.
God Bless.
Betty

Betty's corner of the world said...

PS ...I love your new profile picture ...you're one pretty lady.
Hugz ...Betty

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....Nice that you took a special day just for you. We all need those and you have had a particularly rough 6 months! Vintage antique shopping is great therapy! Love the bird salt and pepper shakers!~Hugs, Patti

Linda said...

I luv that neat OLD shaving mug and brush...come by and share all your goodies at my PARTY:)

Blessings,
Linda

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

You made out great, Sue! I love the photo mosaic showing all your goodies! Of course I so heart the blue and white plates, and the shaving cup and brush will make a great element in hubs bath! The bunnies are too charming! Love the birdhouse and the lock and keys.

Might you be rethinking that darling silver plated S&P birdie set? You know you're just itching to wrap up that baby up and ship it to me! ha! ;)

hugs,
Tina

PS. Glad the hubs is feeling better!

32˙North said...

You found some great treasures on your outing and a nice variety!

Amanda

Patriotic Mom said...

Some great finds! I like the bowl of keys and locks. I wouldn't have thought to look for those but they look interesting in a bowl. As though there is some secret hidden treasure...Joan

Mary said...

Oh what fun! You really got some beautiful things, and great prices, too! Thanks for sharing at MM. :)

GrandmaK said...

What a delightful home you have here. It was a pleasure to visit! Wishing you well! Cathy

Housewife Savant said...

How does YOUR thrifting bring ME such joy? It. Just. Does.
I'm glad you had an afternoon of fun.

janet said...

Ooooo...love the bunnies and the blue plate!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sweet finds, Sue! Thanks for joining the party again, so glad everyone's excited about it.

Love that little bunny cup.

Merrie said...

You did find some great things! That barstool is really special though!

Meri said...

I love the bunny items. And as for easy mosaics, I think some people are using a feature in Picasa which I've not discovered yet. I created my own template and do mine by hand.

Laura said...

Love the blue transferware plate!

Lou Cinda said...

Love that bunny cup and the bird salt and pepper shakers! LOVE!!

Also the stool!!

Glad you are out thrifting! That means Mr. Sullivan is feeling better!

Lou Cinda :)

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I really liked your view of Ireland on your header. Valerie

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Beautiful finds and even better photography. I always love visiting your blog because you have the best photos ;)!

Debbie said...

Oh what treasures!

Sharing with Sherri said...

Sue you must of been carrying your lucky Irish charm with you when you found all this wonderful treasure!
Love the the blue and white plate, bunny cup, and adorable silver birdie s&p shaker!

Hugs, and have a Happy St. Paddy's Day!
Sherri:)

Connie said...

What an original mosaic, sugar! Also, I love your large photos. I hate seeing teensy tiny ones. Good job, chickee. OOOOOOoooooh, btw, I've been to Ireland and love it. The people were the friendliest ever.
xoxo,
Connie

GardenofDaisies said...

It's so sad when these places close! I really love the little bunny cup!