Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Just a wee bit of the Irish…

Tuesday is Kathleen’s second annual St. Patrick’s Day Blog Crawl and I promised her that I’d participate.  I was originally going to post my recipe for Irish Soda Bread but I read that a few other girls were planning to do the same. Instead, I’d thought I’d include some of my favorite Irish Blessings.

Stop by Cuisine Kathleen for a visit and a lot more things Irish.

~~~~~~

 

 

irish shamrocks photo from Picasa, with my enhancements

 

For each petal on the shamrock

This brings a wish your way.

Good health, good luck, and happiness

For today and every day.

~~~~~

irish cliffs 

This is a older, traditional Irish blessing.  Some of you are probably most familiar with the second stanza.

 

May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow
May the soft winds freshen your spirit
May the sunshine brighten your heart
May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you
And may God enfold you in the mantle of His love.

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again my friend
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand

May God be with you and bless you
May you see your children's children
May you be poor in misfortunes and rich in Blessings
May you know nothing but happiness
from this day forward

But rich or poor, quick or slow,
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.
May the joys of today
Be those of tomorrow.

~~~~~

annie and john1

Next month, I will be hosting a bridal shower for our niece and god-daughter, Annie Sullivan. Both she and her fiance, John, have been to Ireland and loved it. I plan on toasting her with the following Irish Wedding Blessing before the brunch.

 

May your mornings bring joy and your evenings bring peace.
May your troubles grow few as your blessings increase.
May the saddest day of your future
Be no worse than the happiest day of your past.
May your hands be forever clasped in friendship
And your hearts joined forever in love.
Your lives are very special,
God has touched you in many ways.
May his blessings rest upon you
And fill all your coming days.

Here’s wishing all of you a safe and Happy St. Patrick’s Day on Wednesday.

Erin Go Braugh!

Erin go braugh is a phonetic version of "Éirinn go brách," which in Irish (Gaelic) means "Ireland Forever." It was an Irish blessing used to express allegiance to Ireland.

Hugs,

 

32 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sue, thanks so much for joining in! I know you have so much on your plate. I love your blessing and pictures..
Have a great ST. Pat's Day..remember you will be dancing soon!
K

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh, I love this Sue! You have without a doubt the most perfect blog for this Holiday! Congrats to the lovely couple, they look so happy! Cindy

Beth said...

Sue, Love your photos! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Mimi said...

The photo of the Irish cliffs is so pretty...love the Irish Wedding Blessing, so nice.

Kathy said...

Ireland Forever to you too Sue!...
Been thinking about you both and wondering how your coming along.

I'm sure your enjoying getting ready for your nieces shower too...planning those are such fun.

Your finds you picked up on your outing are great...love the stool. and glad you could get out and enjoy the day.

We had about 60 degrees today...it was like heaven! Worked outside all day and accomplished a lot.
Take care of yourself Sue, I know your probably on overload.
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

Beloved Ireland.. loved your photos.

teamrooney4u said...

Love the site and love the spirit. Happy St. Patrick's Day from Virginia.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a sweet blessing. Love the photos.

Mama Zen said...

Thank you for sharing these lovely blessings!

Alicia said...

Those were all so beautiful. I've heard them many times but I've never read them all the way through. Beautiful words.

Kate said...

Lovely..enjoyed your post. I appreciate your sharing the wonderful blessings.

Foley said...

The photos are beautiful - what a perfect toast of the Irish blessing!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

HAPPY ST PATTY'S DAY SUE & HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TOO! Your blog has always been wonderful and I'm so blessed to have met you!
So happy to hear Mr S is doing better. The surgery for scar tissue will make such a difference for him. He'll be glad in the longrun!
Our house finally sold and we'll be moving in April so my posts will be auto-posts. Hope we can all get together this summer. I would love to see Tipp City sometime!!

Big hugs, Sherry

Lori said...

I never knew what Erin go brah meant till now. Thanks for spelling Gaelic and the translation.

Willow said...

Just beautiful. Loved my visit, will come again.

Willow

Mrs. P. said...

What a lovely post and even lovlier blessing!!

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Blessings!
Gail

JanMary said...

Beautiful blessings.

Happy St Patrick's Day from N Ireland :)

Charli and me said...

Thank you. I loved it! Everything so beautiful. Happy Saint Patrick's Day ♥

bj said...

Oh, my...that photo of cliffs looks just like what I've always imagined Ireland looked like..beautiful.
Congrats to your neice..tell her for me another Irish blessing..
"May you be in Heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead!"
hugs, bj

ellen b said...

Lovely Irish blessings! I would love to make it to Ireland soon.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you...

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

What gorgeous photos and words. I love the blessing for the shower.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, these pictures are soooo pretty, and I loved reading the Irish blessings. The one you're going to use at your cute Niece's shower is perfect! laurie

Rettabug said...

Such a beautiful blessing for the beautiful future bride! Its a great idea & I bet there won't be a dry eye in the place.
Great photos, too. :D

Erin Go Braugh!
Rett

Blondie's Journal said...

The couple is lovely. Your toast is perfect for the shower!!

I hope you have a wonderful St. Paddy's day, my friend!

xoxo
Janie O'Blonde

Kammy said...

Hi Sue !
Love your new picture !
Thank you for explaining that Erin go braugh thing - I was thinking it was a movie, LOL !
What a fun couple and I bet the shower will be
great !
Love your green pictures !
Kammy

Dawn said...

Happy St. Patrick's day to you Sue! The Irish sure have a way with words. Lovely blessings!
Hugs,
Dawn

Tammy@InStitches said...

Happy St Patricks Day and good luck on winning the fabric !

Sue said...

Hi Sue... I couldn't let today go by without stopping by and wishing my favorite Irish Blogger a Happy St. Patrick's Day!!....hope today finds Mr. S. on the mend....Have a fun one...."Just Another Sue"...

Merrie said...

I love your blog! I have stumbled upon it every now and then and finaly added it to my blog roll tonight.
If you have the time- Can you tell me if my assumptions about Irish food are correct? Most of what I have learned is from one book- which I wrote about tonight. Let me know if I am wrong.
Oh, and thanks for the prayers for patient "A". Her biopsy is scheduled for the end of March and it will take about a week after to get the results. I update everyone when I know something new.

Kathy :) said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day to you too !!!

I would love for you to post your Soda bread recipe sometime YUM !!!

All the best,
Kathy :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I loved these Irish blessings, Sue, and that gorgeous photo of the Cliffs of Moher. I've visited Ireland three times so far and hope to go again in a few years! I'm hlaf Irish and always wish I could trace my family back to the old sod... no luck as yet.

Congrats to your lovely niece! That is a perfect blessing for her!

Kathleen said...

Thinking of you dear Sue. I will be remembering Mr. Sue, lol, at Mass in the morning!