Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

First Exercise of the Year or a Little Bit of Invigoration?

IMG_4089

I woke up early this morning to an undisturbed, white covered world of an overnight snow. The air was still, the tree branches were covered with a light coating of snow and ice, and not even the squirrels in the backyard had awakened to forage for their buried treasure of  food. Even the street was still pristine- there were no tracks from cars carrying passengers on their way to work or from school buses coming to collect children who, no doubt, dreamed of it snowing enough to qualify for another day off.  As I looked out of the window to see the serenity of the new fallen snow, I pondered as to what the day would bring.

I am in the midst of taking down all of our holiday decorations and have a mountain of work ahead of me- I’ve been at it for two days and have barely made a dent. I wondered if I should put on my work-out clothes and head on down to the gym or if I should just traipse outside in my robe to get the paper and sit down to a warm cup of coffee and a piece of toast smothered in honey butter.  Guilt won out to some extent. I got dressed in my work-out tights and t-shirt, but put a sweater and a pair of jeans over them. I wiggled on my boots, donned a jacket, hat, and gloves, and made my way out into the garage.  I had decided to clear the driveway and sidewalk. 

But where was the snow blower? 

 

IMG_4188

It was topped with a ladder and blocked in by other garage paraphernalia, so in order to use it, I would have to move one car out into the driveway just to relocate Christmas storage boxes into its place.  I would then have to  attempt starting the blower for the first time this season. This could possibly definitely wake everyone up with its loud, sputtering engine noise and I didn’t think that would have made me too popular with the neighbors at so early an hour, so without any further deliberation, I opted to preserve the quiet of the morning and use a good old fashioned  shovel that was handy and ready to go.

IMG_4187

 

It didn’t take too long to clear the driveway. It hadn’t snowed more than a couple of inches, and when I really thought about it, using the snow blower might have been a bit of overkill! 

IMG_4189

 

The early morning  air was crisp and invigorating, so I took my time shoveling.  By the time I  finished about 45 minutes later, I had greeted and waved to a few neighbors who, by this time, were  making their way to work and school.  I went inside, enjoyed a hot cup of coffee and a slice of homemade honey buttered toast, and I felt great.  As a certified fitness instructor, I  know that the time I spent shoveling really didn’t actually qualify as aerobic exercise, so I’m still going to have to make a trip to the gym sometime later today. At least it was an invigorating way to start the day, that’s for sure, and the fact that I got my heart pumping should count for something, wouldn’t you say?

As this is my first post of 2010, I’d like to wish all of you a year of good things to come and thank you for all the care and support you gave me in 2009.

Lots of Hugs,

 

image5

I’m linking to Susan’s Outdoor Wednesday Party. Stop by to see what she’s hoping for!

27 comments:

Stacey said...

The snow is beautiful! You did great shoveling that snow. I just keep staring out the window at it.

Kathy said...

Good for you girl...shiveling the driveway!!!
I actually rode mu stationary bike this morning with the achillies tendon not complaining too much! Whahoo!
Your home is charming outside, and in!
Enjoyed all your Christmas decor too.
Have fun putting it all away!
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings

Kathy said...

Oh my goodness...Can I spell?
Shoveling, not shiveling and my not mu...
Oh forever more!!!Lol
xoxo~Kathy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Sue! I can barely go out in weathery that isn't snowy. When it gets below 50, Floridians freak out! LOL!

Lovely snow scenes you have there, though. Hope you made it to the gym.

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, and...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lou Cinda said...

How pretty the snow is! And you HAD to burn some calories shoveling for 45 minutes! lol

The bad thing about Christmas is taking everything down afterwards...not near as much fun as putting it up!

Stay warm!

Lou Cinda :)

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Sue~I had to chuckle when I saw the pile on the snow blower. Your workout actually began when you started relocating the garage paraphernalia, lol.
So...what do you teach as an exercise instructor?
I prefer snow over the torrential down pour we get from now until May. I guess that's what we need to keep the PNW up on the green quota.
Come on by! I miss ya!
Sweet wishes,
Sara

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like you got sufficient exercise to me. :) Suppose to start snowing here tonight and tomorrow, and single digit temps Fri. & Sat. nights. I have had enough Winter. :( I am ready for 75 - 80 degrees with sunshine.

marmielu said...

You got to do both - exercise and get that nice little snack! I always consider shoveling snow exercise - seems to me I'm stretching lots of muscles and doing some deep breathing, plus those calories being burned staying warm????? Tell me it's true!
Your pictures are beautiful. I always love things first thing in the morning after a snow.
Mary Lou

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

What beautiful snow! We are expecting 8-11 inches tonight - I guess I will be shoveling our driveway tomorrow.
Beautiful garage door, by the way..

Danielle

Lori E said...

If shoveling or shiveling as Kathy likes to call it...kind of a cross between shoveling and shivering...doesn't count as exercise then you can just shoot me now.
I love to do it. Our snow here, when we get it is wet and heavy. We have to do our sidewalks too.
I am glad you got out in the fresh air. How is your spinning head?

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

Boy, I know I should be saying how wonderful it was that you got out there and scraped the snow. Okay, I guess I just said that! But I'm really, really focused on how that toast sounded. I don't think I've ever had toast with honey butter slathered on it. And you gotta try everything once!
Brenda

Kathleen said...

Sue, I am so sorry you got an enema when you came to my blog..:)
But I bet it made you feel peppy enough to whip through that shoveling! :)

What a beautiful home you have..

I hear you with the decos..bins all over the place ..looking for a good looking man to come carry them for me..or anyone..LOL!
The outdoor decos are frozen in place..they will have to wait for the January thaw..will we have one?

mbkatc230 said...

Yet another reason to live in the South. If shoveling snow doesn't count as exercise, what's the point? The first picture of the snowy woods is just beautiful. But boy does that look cold! Happy OW. Kathy

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I would think scooping snow would be more than enough of a workout! I'm impressed. I bought a Wii so that I would get up and get moving in 2010.

Sue

farmlady said...

I thought you were going to use the buried snow blower as an excuse not to do the driveway..., but you went out there and did it. You go girl! It looked so nice. Lovely photos of your home. It's beautiful!!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Doesn't count??? Yes it does. I'm not a certified anything, oh wait, that's not true, I'm a certified counselor :), so this therapist says it totally counts! Glad to have met you in '09. I love your spunk :). Look forward to what is in store for all of us in '10.

Many blessings,
Beth

Balisha said...

It looks like you got a good workout to me. We are waiting for the next big snow. I always feel cheated when it snows at night...I don't get to enjoy watching it come down. Your snow picture is beautiful.
Balisha

Southern Queen Bee said...

What a beautiful day to wake up to. I am sure you will get right back to working out. I wish I had the will power. Wish you lived near by, I would work out with ya.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Good Morning Sue! As I write this your side of the state should be seeing some more white so make sure that snow blower is uncovered soon. I think we are all going to have to use them again! It sounds like you are feeling so much better! Have fun putting away the holiday decor!~Hugs, Patti

janet said...

I was voting for the toast the whole time...LOL!

Blondie's Journal said...

I loved hearing about your morning. I would have opted for the coffee and toast and just LOOKED at the snow. And that was no lame driveway you shoveled. You must be in excellent shape to go at it for 45 minutes! Now forget that workout...you are putting me to shame!!

How pretty your house is outside, with or without snow. Hope the snow doesn't get as out of hand as ours...it looks like it's never going to stop and we are in the single digits!! Woe to me!

Enjoy your week and Happy Outdoor Wednesday, Sue!! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Susie Q said...

Hey there! My shoveling has yet to begin as I was one of those idiots our driving in this!! Dang schools still in session! *grin*
Had to take Grace, get Brady, get Grace, go to dentist...so fun! But it all looks so pretty!
Your home looks especially pretty!
And your posts just look so nice and well done...unlike mine of late! *grin*
We had such a great time with you last weekend...your note is here but did not get mailed because I am a dweeb. Yes. I am a dweeb. A slow dweeb at that!

Love,
Sue

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I am so impressed! I'm not a fitness instructor, so I definitely would have thought I had already had my workout if I had shoveled snow! You said something on my blog about a Valentine cloche. Did I miss something? Is Marty having a V'tine cloche party? I'll have to go check. I don't want my party to intrude on her party. laurie

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, Your home is so pretty! It's all I can do to shovel my porch ....forget the whole driveway. We are getting some more snow tonight....ugh! I did all my errands today so I can enjoy the new snow tomorrow with a walk in the woods. xo Lynn

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

P.S. How do you do that pretty blog font?

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue I thought shoveling snow burns a lot of calories!? It can be hard work!

We will be getting some snow tonight. It has been a cold winter this year hasn't it?

Xo Pat