Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

Dining Room Dazzles…

 

I’m joining  Susan @ Thoughts From Over the Rainbow for the “Deck the Halls Party” that she’ll be hosting every Tuesday during the month of December.  Click on the picture below to see how all of her participants are decorating for the holidays.  susan

 

 

I’m so far behind in my decorating this year due to the little fall and the concussed head that I ended up with last month. I didn’t think I’d even feel like decorating since I’ve been so dizzy, but I realized that I could get things done if I took lots of breaks in between jobs. Our son will be home from California on Saturday, so I wanted to surprise him and finish up as many rooms as I could by then.  I started with the dining room because it is the first room that company sees from the foyer when they enter the house.

 

 

table1

The dining room table is covered with an ivory damask tablecloth topped with a semi-sheer gold and ivory tablecloth decorated with sweet cherubs.  Two gold twig trees flank a twig sleigh filled with gold stars and twig balls.

 

1        2    

                    3

Evergreen boughs and berries fill small ornament balls that were hot glued to mirrored coasters. I filled them with water to keep the greens fresh.

 

cherub

Here you can see the gold cherubs on the sheer tablecloth.

 

 

 

buffet

I kept the buffet server very simple, adding only a garland of magnolia leaves to the top shelf.

 

 

mag. leaves

I love the muted color of the green magnolia leaves contrasted against the wall color.

 

sugared fruit

Too add some more color to the server, I filled a glass bowl with sugared fruits and placed it in the center of a gold-sprayed wreath made out of basil leaves.

 

 

 

And now onto the tree…..

dr tree 

I had some help from Mr. Sullivan when we decorated the tree~ he helped me wind the bead garland and add baubles to the top of the tree because I still get  a little dizzy when I look up. There was no way I wanted to come toppling down again! The tree is slender and lit with about 2000 clear and white lights.  It’s filled with baubles in the royal colors of blue, purple, red, gold, and green. Peacock birds and feathers accent the tree throughout.

 

 

peacock

 

 

 

grapes

 

 

 

green orn

 

 

lady bug

 

snowflake

In this picture you can see how the lights strands are wound around the branches and back into the trunk of the tree.  This is the professional way to decorate trees and it’s done so you don’t see strands going from one branch to another. I learned the method of  doing it from one of the visual staff at a local department store where I bought the tree several years ago. I obviously had more time on my hands to play!

I don’t do it when I decorate any of my other trees- I’m basically too lazy. *grin*    Since it would be too hard to unwind and take the strands off, I leave them on and I store the tree upright in a  spare closet.

 

 

 

 

buffet

This server is topped with a variegated green feather tree and an angel cloche.

 

angel cloche

Some of you may have seen this cloche and others here at Marty’s party last week.

 

~~~~~

I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing this room. I’ll be posting more of what I’ve done real soon. I have one more tree to finish tonight and then I’ll take pictures tomorrow. Hope you’ll be back again soon!

Lots of hugs,

34 comments:

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Everything looks so beautiful. You have a wonderful ability to put things together. I'm sure everyone feels so welcome when they enter your home.
Blessings,
Marcia

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Wow, such a beautiful, colorful, lively tree. I'll bet no one can take their eyes off of it. Rosie

Kathy said...

Oh Sue!!! Your tree is gorgeous....the colors are so rich and vivid....Love it, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Wow - that tree is stunning! Beautiful decorations! Linda

blushing rose said...

Sue!! Your tree is BREATHTAKING!!!, so vibrant ... I love the balls glued to the mirrors, have to try this, clever gal you are!

You have done a beautiful job. TTFN ~ Marydon

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue.....Your tree is beautiful! It is really pretty and I am sure makes a statement when you walk into the foyer. Glad your feeling better but don't over do!~Hugs, Patti

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That may be the most vibrant and colorful tree I have ever seen! I love your dining room table, looks like you have gotten a lot accomplished! Bravo! Cindy

Blondie's Journal said...

Your dining room looks lovely Sue!! I like the little ornaments on glass filled with greenery~what a clever and cute idea!! And I am wondering, so you have real magnolia leaves on your buffet?

Love love, your tree. And I knew that is how the pro's did it but you are one step ahead by storing it that way for convenience sake.

I so hope you feel better soon. I worry about you. Be careful!

xoxo
Janie

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I love your tree. I do my lights the same way...I had a friend who was a florist and I helped her get ready for Christmas. Mine won't fit anywhere upstairs, so I have to put those darn lights on every year after we get the tree out of the basement! It does make a huge difference in how a tree looks. I also love all the natural elements...aren't magnolia leaves wonderful?

Sue

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful!! You did a wonderful job of decorating. Take care of yourself.
Thanks for stopping by.
Glenda

Kammy said...

Hi Sue ~
Your son is bound to have a great homecoming ! I adore what you have done - just the right touches ! I would love to see that tree in person as I am sure the pictures don't do it justice ! So glam !
Kammy

Lori E said...

First of all I want to pinch you Ethel, for having a "spare closet". I mean really who has that? A closet so empty that it is devoted to storage of a Christmas tree. I am so jealous you lucky duck.
Mind you I did just tell about one of my computer students who took me on a tour of her home and she has an entire bedroom that stores all her Christmas stuff as it. So I guess her Christmas tree has its own room and closet. Probably an ensuite bathroom too.
Now back to your gorgeous tree. You have really done a fabulous job on it and the other decorations too.

Jo said...

Stunning! I love the ornament vase. Thanks for sharing....Jo

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Sue, this is truly beautiful and your tree just takes my breath. Gorgeous!!!!!

Barb ♥

Lou Cinda said...

Everything is beautiful Sue! And your tree is stunning! I just love it! I hope you are feeling better!

Lou Cinda

Lisa said...

What a fabulous job you did...concussion and all! :) Your tree is absolutely spectacular!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, if you are creating all of this beauty with a concussion, I can't imagine what you normally do! I love the twig trees and sleigh on your table, and the sheer cherub cloth is gorgeous! Your tree is sooo amazing! The ornaments glued to mirrors are so clever and pretty! Thanks for visiting me. You asked about my painted cloche. I bought it an estate sale, so I don't know about a brand name. laurie

Shelia said...

Evening, Dear Sue. I hate to say this, but maybe dizzy is good for you - your decorating is so beautiful! :) You know I'm teasing! Everything is so lovely though and I know your son will be thrilled!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jeanette said...

Everything is just beautiful. I love the peacock feathers.

susan said...

Sue-I am so glad you are feeling better and will be 100% by the time your son gets home! Your tree is just beautiful--love the colors and feathers! What a cute idea to use the ornaments as little vases! Take care and thanks for joining the party! :)

Sharing with Sherri said...

Everything looks so pretty Sue! Your tree especially looks so colorful and festive!

Cute idea too to use the ornamets as little vases, Love it!

Hugs Sherri:)

Stacey said...

Sue your home is looking very pretty and I'm so glad you are able to be up and around!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Lovely decorations! What a pretty tablecloth with the cherubs and I really like your feather tree on the server too.

~Susan

Tammy518 said...

I love it all! Gorgeous tree, and I love your little ornament "vases." Cool idea!

Susie Q said...

Lord woman. You get a bump on thehead, stay dizzy and STILL outshine me in every capacity! Just beautiful, elegant and a joy to see. See? Your decor is like the London Symphony playing O Holy Night. Mine is more Flo and Patsy sing Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. *sigh*
See you soon??

Love,
Sue

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Beautiful! I love the cherub tablecloth and your tree is stunning. I love the look of the lights that have been twisted around the branches. I don't know if I could ever have the patience to do that but I would love to have that look.

Christi @ A Southern Life

Joan said...

Your peacocks are exquisite. I love the colors you used. I can't wait to see what you have in store next week! (no pun intended)

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

You're doing better than me and I don't have a head injury! The tree is magnificent! And I love the mirrored coaster idea too.
Brenda

ceekay said...

Your tree is fantastic. Love the peacock feathers!

Carol said...

Beautiful! I love your tree...it wouldn't last a minute in my house with my two cats :)

Dawn said...

Beautiful tree Sue! I've been worried about you trying to do to much to soon. We all do that, don't we!

I hope your son didn't come to CA to get his furniture now. The storage place is probably under sveral feet of snow! It even snowed on the valley floor which is a real rarity, of course it didn't stick around for long down here. I know everyone is laughing at us Ca girls getting all excited about a few melting snowflakes but like I said, it just doesn't happen much here except in the mountains and we're all too scared to drive up there in it! <:) me in my snow hat!
Hugs,
Dawn

Susie Q said...

I laughed when I saw Carol's comment! That s how I feel! Lucy doesnt bother a thing but oh that Henry! Would not trade him for a million dollars but I can't do lots of decorating with him around!
You know I love the fake snow but Henry would consider it a snack! *laugh*

And look at your 31 comments! I join a party and get 17...oh well. No complaining really just is what it is. I know that is why I tire of it all sometimes. But I still love doing it...

But it is YOU who can share the decorating tips becasue you are amazing. Like I said, YOU are the London Symphony, I am Flo and Patsy. *grin*

See ya Thursday Suey.

Love,
Sue

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Sue,
Your Christmas decor is as beautiful as I knew it would be. My favorite things are the skein of thread with the finial and the arrangement with the faux snow. But I love your colorful tree as well. I hope that you are finally feeling better. Thanks for visiting my Christmas decor post & leaving me a comment.
Kim

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, I had already seen that amazing tree in your dining room, but I came back and I find that there are more wonderful trees. I love the silver tree in the pretty box with all of the glittery ornaments. How clever you are to put that little tree into a creamer, but putting the topper on the skein of thread is absolutely brilliant! I love all of it. laurie