Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Vanity is thy name…

Remodeling the upstairs hall bathroom has been in the back of my mind for some time now.  I met with the contractor a few weeks ago and he has given us a bid for the work, which we plan to start after the new year. It won’t be a major overhaul, by any means.  I want to replace the existing fixtures, remove the  soffit and  mirror above the vanity, and take down the wall between the toilet and the vanity.  The room will seem larger and much more open when that happens.

Because I don’t want a built-in cabinetry look in this room, I had  been contemplating taking an old dresser and having it reconfigured so it could house the sink. But when I was at the furniture market a few weeks ago, I saw this free-standing cabinet in one of the showrooms. It is just what I’ve been looking for!  And I don’t need to worry about ordering sinks or a countertop because they are all inclusive in this piece of furniture. I only have to choose my faucet fixtures.

 

vanity

 

 

mirror,vanity

I can even order the matching mirror!  This five foot wide cabinet will suit our needs just fine as far as storage is concerned. There is a gigantic eight-foot wide linen closet directly across the hall from the bathroom .

But if I decide I want a little extra storage, I can always contemplate this.

IMG_2891 

 

I’m anxious to start looking for plumbing fixtures and floor and wall tiles.  Since this is the guest bathroom, I want to keep it fairly neutral, but I’ve already visited several online sites to get ideas for possibly using decorative glass tiles in the tub area. 

I don’t know why I’m starting a project so close to the holidays. I work best under pressure and a deadline, so in the back of my mind, maybe that’s why I’m doing it.  Meanwhile, the  boxed Christmas decorations are slowly making their way down from the attic and into the study where they won’t be seen by anyone.  I don’t usually get my house decorated before December, so this is definitely early for me. The actual decorating won’t begin until next week- we have a dinner party planned for this weekend and I don’t think our guests would quite understand why seven  trees would be up and waiting their finery when we haven’t even celebrated Thanksgiving yet. 

Breathe, Sue, breathe….

 

20 comments:

Stacey said...

Sue, your bathroom is going to be so pretty. I love the vanity you found. Can't wait to see this project in progress.

Twice as Nice said...

Both of those pieces are beautiful. I can't wait to see it done. Love the idea of neutrals. Can always add color with the accessories.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jo said...

Do you think once you found the sink cabinet it made you want to get the room done? I know I've been at a stalemate in my bathroom and once I found the sink to fit the dresser, it's now all I can think abt, but it is the main bath so will have to wait til after the holidays. It seems to me everyone is in a hurry to get Christmas out I usually don't decorate until after Thanksgiving It just seems so long if you start so early. I starting to feel pressured even though we've got quite awhile so I'm w/ you with the breathing

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Fabulous vanity! Can't wait to see the changes!!

Kathleen said...

That is beautiful! It must be a big guest bathroom!

Remember what I said about the decorations, :)
You will have to dust them!

Lori E said...

Those are great pieces of furniture. I can imagine how fab this will look when done. I really like the dresser look vanity.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sue....Lol....you are so funny. You are starting all kinds of projects aren't you?! Anyway, I think that cabinet is really gorgeous and sounds perfect for what you have planned. Can't wait to see the project in action!~Hugs,Patti

Sue said...

Hi Sue...your bathroom is going to be beautiful...for a guest bath it must be pretty large to fit that double sink and that gorgeous high cabinet which I certainly think you should get.....without even thinking about it....Yes...you need it...I'm living through you as I own a bathroom this is maybe 4'x4' on a good day....and that's the master bath!!

Frippery said...

Been too busy for blogging but had to pop in to say, that looks wonderful. Can't wait to see it all complete!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! That vanity is just gorgeous! I can't wait to see the result! I'm just getting repairs done inside and hoping to be through by Thanksgiving. Why will no one work on my schedule?? lol Happy week!...Debbie

Balisha said...

Hi Sue,
Keep us up on the progress of your new project. I used to work well under pressure too.
Seven trees!!! Wow is all I can say.
Balisha

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty! Looking forward to seeing the redo. I feel like I just took my tree down, and it is almost time to put it up again.

Susie Q said...

Wow. The bath is going to be gorgeous. Now I am in serious envy again. Gee whiz. You stinker...making poor sick little me all full of envy. Phooey. Gonna be going to be gorgeous. Yup.
Christmas?? Decorating?? Argh...I need to go back and lay down again. If I don't shake this yuck I have I will be waaaay behind! Wait! I already am! Hope I improve soon. We need a GOOD catch up!

Gwen said...

I love that vanity and am with you on not wanting the built in look. That one is perfect!

All of our Christmas stuff is in storage about 45 minutes away. That is probably a good thing because all of great sites in blogland are really putting me in the spirit. It wouldn't be cool to be decorating quite so soon!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue just the thought of Christmas and all those boxes and hours spend putting every thing out and then repacking it all up again and the hours spend doing that...OK Now I'm tired..I just told Len last night I'm not doing but one small tree this year..I gave my youngest daughter almost all my Christmas stuff 2 weeks ago...what with health issue I'm just can't do it this year...Love that vanity girl...is it cherry or walnut and 2 sinks...must be a big guest bath...Hope all is well on your side of the mountain my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

that's gorgeous Sue! sigh.....my blue tiled 80's bath needs an update so bad....unfortunately it's not at the top of the list. You brought your xmas stuff out and I am wrapping xmas gifts this morning.

Dawn said...

That is a beautiful vanity Sue, but I guess you already know that!

Breathing is good, definately good!
Hugs,
Dawn

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, that vanity is gorgeous! I'm sure it will just MAKE your bathroom. Can't wait to see it when you're done. laurie

Hill Country House Girl said...

I am a little out of the blogging loop these days, but thanks for your visit to hill country house and commenting on my painted cabinet dilemma. This time of year is crazy with the holidays and especially so for those of us who still think about painting or new bathroom cabinets and sinks, or whatever new design idea haunts us......... so yes, breathe, just remember to breathe. Have a lovely Thanksgiving!