Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Neutrals Plus…

Last week I told you that color was the name of the game at the  international furniture market held in High Point a few weeks ago. But neutrals were quite popular, too. Here in this showroom vignette, a solid camel colored sofa plays against a darker wallpapered wall. Hanging above the sofa is a street map of Paris. I saw quite a few of these types of maps in the art showrooms- not only of Paris, but of New York and Rome. They were humongous and I loved them all!

IMG_2932

Check out all the different patterns on these pillows.

 

 

 

neutral2

A wall of traditional botanicals accents this wall. No bright colors here. They look so serene and elegant.

 

 

 

neutral 1

Here, two traditional striped chairs are accented with fun, muted tone pillows.  Even the rug is a neutral- I think it looked a little like a zebra skin print.

 

 

pillows

As for more pillows, look at all the petals covering this one.  They were soft like cashmere.

 

pillow

A small (about 8”) ball pillow with the same fabric petals. The price tag you see here was the wholesale price. You could expect to pay much, much more than that in a retail shop !

 

 

IMG_2911

Taupe was a neutral that we saw often in upholstery items. Here it’s accented with a “dirty” green ~ to me, another neutral.

 

 

curtain

Whoops….  Although a bit blurry, you can see why this picture reminded me a bit of the popular curtains in blog land that are being fabricated from drop cloths. This linen curtain is covered with rosettes  and ribbons starting from about 2/3rds of the way down the panel.  I like this added frou-frou!

~~~~

So do you like the neutrals any more than the colors I’ve shown you in the past few posts?  Instead of seeing neutrals as a “trend” this season, I’m thinking of them as a great base for adding color onto them. Color trends change over the course of time, so painting an entire room or buying a piece of furniture in the new, “hot and in-style” colors  could  limit your decor, not to mention that you could easily tire of it. Why not start with  the neutral taupes, greens, beiges,  or grays; then add pops of color to accessorize them?  It makes good sense to me and that’s what I’ll be doing when I order my new furniture. Now if I could only remember to bring those fabric samples home with me!

22 comments:

Stacey said...

Hi Sue. I just love that you are sharing these cutting edge posts with us. :) I am starting to like the neutrals but wouldn't want to switch over to them. I have grown tired of my deep red walls in the dining room and would like to paint a neutral in there. The neutrals look clean and fresh to me. That's nice!

Alicia said...

I love those botanical prints! So elegant and simple yet filled with so much detail. I could just sit there and gaze at them for hours! Wonderful post!

Shelia said...

Hi Sue. I loved your post. I too love to look at the neutrals, but I do love colors! Those draperies make me smile! I don't know if I could ever use anything like that. Maybe in a guest room. ;) I do love that wall of botanicals. Lovely! Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Good morning Sue! I am liking the neutrals, but I also like the "dirty" green. It reminds me of a green, used during the 1950's, a sort of chartruese with grey undertones. Loved it!

Congratulations on your 100th post!!

Jo said...

I love the neutrals I agree a gd basic is the best Trends come to quickly Thanks so much for sharing with us, its nice to see the directions in which decor is going

Twice As Nice Lettering said...

I think Twin and I are more neutral girls with a punch of color or something unexpected such as those ball pillows. When purchasing something that you has to last for quite a while such as a couch I think it's best to stay neutral and change out pillows when colors and styles change. It's always good to have timeless pieces.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I like the neutrals best for the basics like sofas and chairs. I wished I had stayed with a neutral color when I bought my sofa and loveseat years ago. The colors are now dated, but they are still in excellent condition. I don't want slipcovers and could almost buy new for what it would cost to have recovered. :(
Glenda

Lori E said...

I like country colors. I am not one to decorate with the "new" styles. For one it is too expensive to change and secondly I like the idea of an old home full of pieces with history. I find it grounding. Not necessarily antiques but pieces that one day will be antiques in the family.

The Stylish House said...

Sue,
I agree those vintage Parisian maps are wonderful. They have a steep price tag, and I’ve been thinking of ways to create a cheaper version that I age myself. I also like the roses on the drapes, definitely an idea I will remember. Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed viewing it.
Cathy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue

I think neutrals are good if you invest in a very classic piece of furniture that you hope will last for many years, as colors can be trendy. The map prints and botanicals are so sophisticated. The drapes are unusual...I'd have to see them hanging to know if I'd like them.

Hugs, Pat

furniture Toronto said...

Hello Sue,
You have absolutely right with those old maps...it has its own unique mood. And neutral colors will never be OUT. Even it needs more sensitive designer skills to make it interesting...but it's worth to experience...

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....I love the neutrals myself....I also love a little pop of color too. Thanks for sharing!~Patti :)

Kathleen said...

I love those chairs, so traditional!

I just got rid of my non neutral dining room color..I went a safe sage..I have no guts when it comes to color!

Kammy said...

Holy Cow Sue !
I am laughing my rear off right now about what you said about my Hunk Tom !!!! So glad you read my post - I think some just look at the pictures, LOL !
Love your netural pictures - but, how ever did they get those pictures so perfectly straight ??
Still laughing,
Kammy

Alicia said...

Hi Sue,
I'm back again. Wow, twice in one day!
I don't know if you are an Award Free blog or if you gladly accept Awards, but I've awarded you one on my blog. Please feel free to come by and collect it. I have let my readers know that many blogs don't accept them that the comments their readers leave is award enough, so if that is the case with you then hopefully you will at least get a few more readers and a few more comments. I myself read your blog faithfully!

santamaker said...

So glad I bumped into your fabulous blog! I used to think neutrals were too boring, but now I love them! They are so calming and it's so easy to perk them up with a couple of accent pillows and such. Your photos are lovely.

Housewife Savant said...

Neutrals and cowardice are the inspiration for our kitchen.
I'll add a splash of color when/if I want to.
You (We) are so smart, aren't we?
I've got EIGHT colors of Fiesta, thus I am All Powerful.

I love the botanical prints and I am ALWAYS looking for old books to dismantle/display.
Problem is; we're ALL looking for them.

Lovely pix as always my friend!

Betty said...

Hi Sue ... I love the tan colors of the furniture you posted ..My problem is that "I love it all" ..But I still seem to lean to the whites ... although my house is full of dark wood ... I'd paint it all white but since the house is almost over 95 years old I just can't seem to bring myself to do that .. I love your fall table and everything you do.
You are sooo inspiring.
Hugz ...Betty

marmielu said...

Hi, Sue! I really enjoyed looking at your pictures! I wish I could just snatch some of those pillows out of the pictures for my slipcovered sofa in the family room redo. I've ended up going in sort of a neutral direction - without intending to. One of these days I'll get the whole thing posted.
BTW I've left you an award on my blog. Come on over and pick it up!
Thanks for this inspiration!
Mary Lou

Janean said...

Highpoint, NC is HUGE... those petal pillows look like fun and the grouping of botanicals....ummmm.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hey Sue, Going to "market" must be so much fun. Thanks for giving us a view of what's up and coming. I love your term "dirty" green. :) Have a super great week.

Anne~fiona and twig said...

Those petal pillows are to die for! I caught a glimpse of the price on the smaller ones....yikes! But still pretty to look at!
Anne